Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Honest Thief posted:

For people saying Bunker is short, does it have enough engaging gameplay to warrant further playthroughs, like harder modes or variations like REsi?

There are more difficulty levels and stuff inside the Bunker is randomized (like codes or locations of stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think we're going to see a burgeoning community of speedrunners for The Bunker, people who can play perfectly in the dark and just using grenades to blow open doors and stuff.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/1666811485811806210?t=HH039gWgClHd8x8W8hkb-A&s=19

One of the funnest games I've ever played. Freakin license bullshit. At least Texas Chainsaw looks to be as good, but I was never a Chainsaw fan, I was a ft13th guy and they knocked it out of the park.

E: On the other side of the coin

https://twitter.com/FANGORIA/status/1666592889579925504?t=afuOO4qS2RDjK1SHpO1C_w&s=19

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 8, 2023

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

WaltherFeng posted:

Amnesia The Bunker is pretty drat tough even on normal. I keep dying to the thing because I'm not sure where to go and when the fuel runs out I either trip somekind of trap and it comes rushing or I stumble on it accidentally in the pitch dark.

I guess I should be filling the generator to the max and just keep trying until I find progress.

I kinda wish the had more save points like in Resident Evil because it sucks figuring out the right route, playing for 15 minutes very cautiously then dying.

Get used to crouch-walking in the dark. Don't turn the generator on for a bit and just go exploring, getting used to each room (I hope you have a good sense of direction and spatial memory). What you really need to know are hiding points - under desks and beds are pretty much complete safe zones as far as I can tell, the monster has strolled past me dozens of times and never seen or heard me while underneath something.

For the monster itself, remember it is primarily attracted to noise. Don't sprint unless you have to, don't walk on things that will make noise.. but you CAN use this to your advantage - bottles can be chucked to create a distraction, you can even use bits of detritus on the ground but you can't throw those as far so make sure you've got somewhere to hide nearby. Also for the monster itself you can always hear it's weird noises long before you will ever see it - you'll also see your vision begin to sway once it gets within a few yards/meters of you. Basically, if you can hear it you should be hiding in or under something until it goes away, it's never worth it to try and sneak around with it prowling unless you've got a good plan.

To my fellow Alien Isolation vets - this thing is NOT the Alien. It doesn't track you very well other than having the AI pop up always in whatever section you're in. It doesn't seem like it can smell you, it will get bored after a minute or two and gently caress off elsewhere, there's no need to play semi-aggressively like you have to in Isolation. It is invincible like the Alien though, but can be fended off even with a shot or two from the handgun. It will come back in a couple minutes though.

e- Also if you want to be a cheap jerk like me save the game, put 3 cans of oil in the generator and walk around a new area, making note of the layout + items of importance but not making any loud noise or trying to solve a puzzle so the monster leaves you alone the whole time. Once you've got a good sense of the place, reload the save and come back with the lights out or just use 1 can of oil and get the important stuff and sprint back.

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 8, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Thanks. I didnt realize you could hide under stuff or that crouch walking makes less noise. The game kinda just throws into the deep end fairly quickly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The monster also causes the lights to glitch which is a clear sign to run, hide, or square up. Unlike the other Amnesia's there's no sanity effect that attracts enemies to you, thematically speaking what's a flesh eating ghoul to someone in the trenches?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Why do the technical difficulties during this Summer Games Fest thing have to happen right before the Alan Wake 2 bit? :argh:

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I kinda love the generator mechanic in The Bunker. It’s got me planning my excursions like time trials, and often I feel like it’s worth it to venture out into the dark. I bleed for the cans, dammit, I want them to be worth it!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I dunno how anyone can get excited for another Friday the 13th game when the lawsuits are still going

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Blockhouse posted:

I dunno how anyone can get excited for another Friday the 13th game when the lawsuits are still going

Is there a new one? I know the one that killed the game was settled recently

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Alan Wake 2 going to much more of a horror feeling based on everything they've said and shown so far seems like a great change. Looks like the pace will be much slower and more deliberate, which is fine with me. I replayed the original recently and you have to spend so much time spinning the camera around in every combat encounter because the game would constantly spawn enemies all around you, the combat really got tedious by the back half of the game. If they are reducing the combat and spending more time on some environmental storytelling and spooky stuff that will be ace. Hopefully no more driving sections either.

Some clarity on what the hell is actually going on would be nice. Between the first game, its DLC, American Nightmare and Control AWE it has become very convoluted. I still don't even know what to make of Thomas Zane after all this time!

Also I'm glad Alan gets a fashion upgrade. In the first game he has to be one of the worst dressed horror game protagonists of all time. A black hoodie under a green jacket under a gray jacket with elbow patches?? No.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

el oso posted:

Some clarity on what the hell is actually going on would be nice. Between the first game, its DLC, American Nightmare and Control AWE it has become very convoluted. I still don't even know what to make of Thomas Zane after all this time!
Honestly this is the team that has clearly dreamed about making their own homebrew Dark Tower since they started, and like most nerds these days they see any and all opportunities for added “lore” / world-building as necessarily improving narrative quality. poo poo is only going to get more complicated.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I swear to christ that I'm going to end up with ten gallons of gas in my storage in Amnesia Bunker just because I've kicked into full Survival Horror mode and have been crouch walking in the dark everywhere "just in case I need it later".

Bombing open doors seems like the key in several areas but at the same time I am nervous to use resources on them when there might be another way. It seems like using flares to set off barrels would be the most efficient method though.

I did have the monster open a bunch of doors for me though because he walked right into a tripwire next to a bunch of barrels. good way to take care of the rats too.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 9, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Basic Chunnel posted:

Honestly this is the team that has clearly dreamed about making their own homebrew Dark Tower since they started, and like most nerds these days they see any and all opportunities for added “lore” / world-building as necessarily improving narrative quality. poo poo is only going to get more complicated.

World building is fun

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TheWorldsaStage posted:

World building is fun

Yeah I'm not going to begrudge Remedy for worldbuilding in their stories. Frankly it's almost refreshing to see convoluted plots and backstory for a game that isn't hidden under fifteen layers of Game Theory bait horseshit.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

CuddleCryptid posted:

I swear to christ that I'm going to end up with ten gallons of gas in my storage in Amnesia Bunker just because I've kicked into full Survival Horror mode and have been crouch walking in the dark everywhere "just in case I need it later".

Bombing open doors seems like the key in several areas but at the same time I am nervous to use resources on them when there might be another way. It seems like using flares to set off barrels would be the most efficient method though.

I did have the monster open a bunch of doors for me though because he walked right into a tripwire next to a bunch of barrels. good way to take care of the rats too.

Yeah same, I've got like... 10 or 11 cans of gas sitting next to a nearly full generator? Reading other experiences I do feel like you're intended to try and keep the lights on at all/most times and only creep in the dark as a last resort? I'm definitely not playing that way lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DourCricket posted:

Yeah same, I've got like... 10 or 11 cans of gas sitting next to a nearly full generator? Reading other experiences I do feel like you're intended to try and keep the lights on at all/most times and only creep in the dark as a last resort? I'm definitely not playing that way lol

I think part of the issue is that the lights being on is not a guarantee of safety, you can still see okay in the dark in patented Amnesia "two foot night vision" style, and the flashlight doesn't trigger the monsters *that* badly. But even if they do show up you can just hide under a bed and it's cool.

The sanity system in previous games was silly but it did solve a problem, which was that stumbling through the level in the dark was pretty much viable. It would be interesting if the rats got more aggressive in the dark and that pushed you more to keep the lights on.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 9, 2023

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Finished The Bunker last night. Overall a really satisfying, sandwich-sized game. I don’t think I could do much longer than 4-6 hours of this, but I’m excited to do one more playthru since important things are randomized.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it really had me grinding my teeth toward the end but I respect its design

especially the growing realization that most of the locked doors are going to stay that way unless you blow them up or break them down, which is basically ringing a dinner bell

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Y'know, The Bunker, if you want to litter your level with traps that can only be disarmed with the Special Item instead of, idk, the hands of the soldiers who set them then you could at least not get smarmy at me on the loading screens. Especially after you decided that rats are immune to poison gas.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

What are you even supposed to use poison grenades for. Im almost done I think and I never used them.

Also wheres the shotgun? Ive found shells but not the gun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

What are you even supposed to use poison grenades for. Im almost done I think and I never used them.

Also wheres the shotgun? Ive found shells but not the gun.

shotgun is in the roman tunnels, which will probably be the one of the last areas you visit since you need the chain cutters to get inside

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I also never used the gas grenades, but I think it can be used for area denial? The monster might not cross the fog?

My second playthrough is interesting. I’m determined to play more aggressively, dragging exploding barrels in pathways, trying to path it through tripwires, this is MY bunker, shoo!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

CuddleCryptid posted:

Y'know, The Bunker, if you want to litter your level with traps that can only be disarmed with the Special Item instead of, idk, the hands of the soldiers who set them then you could at least not get smarmy at me on the loading screens. Especially after you decided that rats are immune to poison gas.

I've definitely used gas grenades to disperse rats; ultimately though it's not worth having to lug around the gas mask or waiting for the cloud to disperse. Meat feels really finnicky as well - it seems like you need to get each rats attention (have them hissing at you) before you toss it, otherwise you risk them ignoring the diversion. Torches are definitely the way to go for rats, being reusable and having the benefit of giving you light on top of rat dispersal.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

ChickenHeart posted:

I've definitely used gas grenades to disperse rats; ultimately though it's not worth having to lug around the gas mask or waiting for the cloud to disperse. Meat feels really finnicky as well - it seems like you need to get each rats attention (have them hissing at you) before you toss it, otherwise you risk them ignoring the diversion. Torches are definitely the way to go for rats, being reusable and having the benefit of giving you light on top of rat dispersal.

For the rats I just chucked the meat right on top of whatever it was they were snacking on - while they're distracted by the meat they aren't territorial for some reason, you don't need to lure them away with it.

Finished it this afternoon - solid 4/5

Didn't love The Final Encounter but I liked what they were going for. DID love the ending, though a bit obvious.

Still, kinda perfect for the story backdrop - is being trapped in an underground shanty bunker with a warped hellbeast really that much worse than being a soldier during WWI? Sure, but not as much as you'd think.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I didnt like the final thing in Amnesia. I had to google it because I was getting impatient and didnt immediately realize what the game wanted.

Anyway I made it all the way there without a guide so yay. Pretty good game

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've been going through but i have occasionally had to go "where the gently caress is this supposed to be" after running in circles and out of fuel for an hour.

Eventually just googled it and realised i'd missed a fairly well hidden dogtag on a body i'd been walking by.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
E: Not as scary as one might think

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 12, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played in Japanese but I doubt his English VO is so bad it really belongs in this thread.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DourCricket posted:

For the rats I just chucked the meat right on top of whatever it was they were snacking on - while they're distracted by the meat they aren't territorial for some reason, you don't need to lure them away with it.

Finished it this afternoon - solid 4/5

Didn't love The Final Encounter but I liked what they were going for. DID love the ending, though a bit obvious.

Still, kinda perfect for the story backdrop - is being trapped in an underground shanty bunker with a warped hellbeast really that much worse than being a soldier during WWI? Sure, but not as much as you'd think.

Between a ghoul and chlorine trusting that my mask doesn't have a pin-sized hole or faulty seal I'll take the ghoul any day of the week.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sakurazuka posted:

I played in Japanese but I doubt his English VO is so bad it really belongs in this thread.

gently caress

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Anyone else check out the Luto demo? Thought it was pretty decent as far as PT like games go.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Played a bit of The Bunker and I can tell it is just not for me. I have a terrible sense of direction and spent an hour lost before I even found the wheel to open the emergency gates. Then after I did the monster t eleported thru a wall and killed me. (this was on xbox which well, SOMA was also insanely buggy so maybe they just have bad ports lol)

Very cool game though but I prob won't be playing more myself.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah Bunker is pretty buggy. I get some major slowdown near loading screens (of which there are a lot) on PS5, sometimes boxes will just lose their textures (but not their collision), and I've also had some good old fashioned hard crashes which is super great given how you have to go all the way back to the center of the map to save the game.

I like it but while Frictional usually has janky games it's usually not this bad.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I really want to get into Dead By Daylight, but these types of games (DBD, Overwatch, etc) always seem like such time commitments. :ohdear: I just wanna teleport through walls and stab people with hooks, dammit!

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I wouldn't say either of them are time commitments per se; Overwatch certainly isn't with no character progress or any advancement in the game, just round after round. DBD is pretty much the same except there IS some progression with skills and stats etc. but each round isn't slow or boring no matter which side you're on. You'll be doing plenty of stabbing and slashing in no time and each round can only go on for so long before either all survivors are hooked and sacrificed (the only way the killer wins), or some of them manage to escape (the only way any of them can win).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Read After Burning posted:

I really want to get into Dead By Daylight, but these types of games (DBD, Overwatch, etc) always seem like such time commitments. :ohdear: I just wanna teleport through walls and stab people with hooks, dammit!

Agent Escalus posted:

I wouldn't say either of them are time commitments per se; Overwatch certainly isn't with no character progress or any advancement in the game, just round after round. DBD is pretty much the same except there IS some progression with skills and stats etc. but each round isn't slow or boring no matter which side you're on. You'll be doing plenty of stabbing and slashing in no time and each round can only go on for so long before either all survivors are hooked and sacrificed (the only way the killer wins), or some of them manage to escape (the only way any of them can win).

The grind is significantly less than it was a year ago, but there IS a grind in Dead By Daylight if you want all of the meta perks. You get 10k-40k bloodpoints per match, which is the perk currency, and it takes about a million per tier to unlock each characters 3 unique perks, which is generally 1 good one and 2 mediocre to bad ones. It's tough to do starting from scratch, but it's not nearly as bad as it was before the change, where you had to unlock the perks and then unlock them on each individual character.

I was playing about 10-15 hours a week and barely keeping up with the releases.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Thank you, friends! I didn't even consider, like, character progression...I was more thinking of "putting in time to properly learn the rules and mechanics so you don't get yelled at by the other players for ruining their game". :kiddo: For example, back when I tried to play TF2, there was no real single-player and/or practice mode, so just jumping straight into Vs mode was very intimidating. 99% of my gaming is single-player, and the other 1% is co-op stuff with my partner.

Does DBD have a good practice/"vs. bots" mode?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Read After Burning posted:

Thank you, friends! I didn't even consider, like, character progression...I was more thinking of "putting in time to properly learn the rules and mechanics so you don't get yelled at by the other players for ruining their game". :kiddo: For example, back when I tried to play TF2, there was no real single-player and/or practice mode, so just jumping straight into Vs mode was very intimidating. 99% of my gaming is single-player, and the other 1% is co-op stuff with my partner.

Does DBD have a good practice/"vs. bots" mode?

For practicing killer you can play against bots, but not Survivor.

But realistically survivor is really simple to grasp the basics, especially if you have a friend. You can PM me if you want to know more, there's a DBD thread but I can point you to the basics

Edit - Or message me on Discord, I am medullah there too now that the name change thing happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I'm primarily all about single player too. As such my time with DBD was with the free Steam weekends, didn't really go beyond that, and then it became a PS+ freebie for both 4&5. Didn't go for it much at first because of the lack of cross-platform progress, but then some massive updates (like IAP currency alongside more and more licensed DLC) mentioned earlier kicked in and it was kind of like starting over anyway. I'd claim that it's actually pretty simple to learn and get into (there is a tutorial for both modes that covers everything) without any in-depth/hidden strategy etc. that you'd be hosed by not knowing. There's certainly less of a learning curve than most MP games. I think it could be argued that Behavior figured out they'll sell more IAP and DLC by keeping it almost arcade-simplified and accessible so you shouldn't have any trouble having fun with it quick (or figuring out equally quickly if it's for you.) I dropped off for a long time and then spent more time with it in the last few months because I got a PS5 last year, it was something I had in the library to play, and my 2014 rig was getting too long in the tooth for the newer builds.

It also gets free Steam weekends to this day so you should be able to try it out sooner or later!