Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
No clue! By all accounts the TD/RA remasters were a big success for a relatively minimal investment but who can know the mind of EA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Bumhead posted:

Do we have any reason to expect further C&C Remasters?

Only just seen this thread and it was a pleasure reading the OP and acknowledging just how good that release turned out. Really amazing. I think it was a fair assumption at the time that Red Alert 2 (and I guess Tiberian Sun?) would follow, but obviously we’re a little way removed from that now.

Any rumours or murmurs? I hope this isn’t another one of those things where a follow up to a brilliant remaster seems like a total slam dunk but then never happens (hello, Tony Hawks 3 + 4)

Completely hearsay, but Petroglyph is currently working on an RTS for Electronic Arts right after C&C Remastered did well.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Here's a thought: can anyone think of any specifically C&C Generals clones outside of Warfront Turnting Point and the Act of War games?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is anyone making a gigantic-scale RTS ala Supreme Commander? Has anyone inherited the mantle of Chris Taylor?

I also wonder if the management problems that SC/FA had from being too big and complex could be solved with modern advances in AI. Just hand over production and expansion to the computer while the player handles combat strategy. That's the game I dream about, anyway.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1699050/Sanctuary_Shattered_Sun/

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is anyone making a gigantic-scale RTS ala Supreme Commander? Has anyone inherited the mantle of Chris Taylor?

I also wonder if the management problems that SC/FA had from being too big and complex could be solved with modern advances in AI. Just hand over production and expansion to the computer while the player handles combat strategy. That's the game I dream about, anyway.

I've been addicted to https://www.beyondallreason.info/ for the last couple of months, it's still in development & free

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
What, if any, are the more ambitious mod projects for Kane's Wrath? Ideally stuff that touches upon the Global Conquest mode or adds single player content.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Thyrork posted:

What, if any, are the more ambitious mod projects for Kane's Wrath? Ideally stuff that touches upon the Global Conquest mode or adds single player content.

Specifically for the expansion pack or?

There is a c&c3 mod that makes it more like tib sun. It's pretty good. Not sure it was ever finished? I haven't looked in a few years. I'll find it again if you're interested.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Yeah specifically for kane's wrath. I very much enjoy the subfaction's and the world conquest mode.

Although I guess if there's a baseline mod that backports the subfaction's / units and does something interesting with the rest would be fine too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/DorfRTS/status/1667979237184385024?s=19

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nMW35hGtBU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gonna be the first RTS I play in years

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

verbal enema posted:

Gonna be the first RTS I play in years

I just saw a video for a game that looks to be a combo of SC2 and WC3 and it was such a yawn compared to DORF.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Groovelord Neato posted:

I just saw a video for a game that looks to be a combo of SC2 and WC3 and it was such a yawn compared to DORF.

Stormgate, saviour of the genre? Yeah it sure looks like Starcraft and while I do like SC2's coop I just really can't stand Blizzard RTS' underlying gameplay. I'm looking forward to DORF and Tempest Rising much more.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I don't get it, footage of Red Alert 2? Holy hell that nails the weird tech I loved from RA2 so much, I'm looking forward to that. Fingers crossed it has some for of singleplayer because I'm terrible at playing RTSs against humans.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I love the look and vibe of DORF, but I hope those huge units are an exception rather than the rule, as having units take up a quarter of your screen space is probably awful to play. Also I personally have trouble tracking their missles/air projectiles, but this might all just be a bunch of back-of-the-box fights with super units and not representative of 'normal' fights.

Still hyped, tho!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Alternatively it could be fun to watch it get loving nutty with it. Just massive superweapon wars but you're spread out so far losing a single base in 3 seconds isn't quite a gamebreaker

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Think my favourite was the giant spikeball.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Randalor posted:

Fingers crossed it has some for of singleplayer because I'm terrible at playing RTSs against humans.

Have to imagine they'd have a campaign - if they've put all this time and effort into making an RTS they must've seen that stat that like 70+ percent of RTS players never touch multiplayer. Pretty sure what doomed some of them in the recent past was the focus on multiplayer.

Mordja posted:

I liked that one unit was just the Ratte tank.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mordja posted:

Spikeball and a giant mutant throwing boulders make it look more like KKND than Red Alert in parts

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Despite how good DORF already looks, the dev has been pretty transparent about the fact that it's still pretty early in development and I'd bee shocked if there isn't a campaign.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
it also has an interesting bit from a video the dev replied too; (said video is just a roundup, sorry if you get your hopes up for 9 minutes of DORF)

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Massive RA2 vibes with D.O.R.F.

Also, no love for the Cossacks or Dawn of War series in this thread? :colbert:

Dawn of War was my gateway into the batshit insanity that is the Warhammer 40K universe and I thank it for that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

wafflemoose posted:

Massive RA2 vibes with D.O.R.F.

Also, no love for the Cossacks or Dawn of War series in this thread? :colbert:

Dawn of War was my gateway into the batshit insanity that is the Warhammer 40K universe and I thank it for that.

Get out of here with that poo poo. The Dawn of War series isn't old! I just played it last... uh... um...

...oh.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Randalor posted:

Get out of here with that poo poo. The Dawn of War series isn't old! I just played it last... uh... um...

...oh.

Still kind of impressive that they managed to pull off having seven decently-balanced (note: it's not perfect, and I'm looking at the series up until Dark Crusade - it's pretty unbalanced once you get to Soulstorm) factions in an RTS game while maintaining the flavor of each faction.

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

It was also real dumb that in Myth 1-2 they're obviously called "The Smiths of Muirthemne" because they're smiths that come from the city Muirthemne,
but in Myth III they said no the city Muirthemne was named after the Smiths of Muirthemne. :psyduck:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Considering the story of Myth 3 is explicitly being read off the walls of a shrine, I'm willing to give it some slack and assume it's not 100% accurate. I assume that while it counts, if something from 1 or 2 contradicts it then they take precedence.

But yeah, MumboJumbo were very willing to do their own thing with Myth 3's story, even if it didn't neatly fit with what Bungie did.

Edit: did anybody ever like, reanimate the Myth 3 intro? I always thought it'd look great animated like 1 and 2 instead of being 3D.

catlord fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 23, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm craving an old RTS that I missed when it was new. I've been poking at Rise of Legends recently, which I did play when new, and mourning the huge variety we had. I didn't really love Rise of Legends at the time because Rise of Nations was just so good and it was very different with the hero units, but I thought it was pretty great this time around.

What are some deep cuts that I probably didn't play? Ideally they're good, but I'll settle for weird in an interesting way, like Perimeter, which I also played at release. Hell, id settle for something just plain mediocre like the Star Trek: Armada games. There used to be dozens of RTSes every year!

Is Ground Control any good? What about Emperor: Battle for Dune?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ground Control is very slow paced (and no in-mission saves?), with 100% of the enemies sitting static until you cross an invisible line and a script gets them moving. The actual meat/tactics of the game was great, if you can handle the truly rudimentary campaign mechanics.

If you like space games and think hero units are interesting, I'd highly recommend Sins of a Solar Empire, which still holds up today. My favorite esoteric (and ancient) RTS was Dark Reign, which took a very interesting interpretation on having units optionally semi-automate (to alleviate player attention issues) when the genre was still blooming.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Serephina posted:

Ground Control is very slow paced (and no in-mission saves?), with 100% of the enemies sitting static until you cross an invisible line and a script gets them moving. The actual meat/tactics of the game was great, if you can handle the truly rudimentary campaign mechanics.

If you like space games and think hero units are interesting, I'd highly recommend Sins of a Solar Empire, which still holds up today. My favorite esoteric (and ancient) RTS was Dark Reign, which took a very interesting interpretation on having units optionally semi-automate (to alleviate player attention issues) when the genre was still blooming.

Sins of a Solar Empire was a lot later, right? I played the poo poo out of that, it was a late LAN party favorite among my friends that mostly displaced Rise of Nations.

Woof, Ground Control sounds unappealing with those shortcomings. I'm not going to put up with no in-mission saves from games from that era, which are regularly punishing as hell if you go in the wrong direction.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm craving an old RTS that I missed when it was new. I've been poking at Rise of Legends recently, which I did play when new, and mourning the huge variety we had. I didn't really love Rise of Legends at the time because Rise of Nations was just so good and it was very different with the hero units, but I thought it was pretty great this time around.

What are some deep cuts that I probably didn't play? Ideally they're good, but I'll settle for weird in an interesting way, like Perimeter, which I also played at release. Hell, id settle for something just plain mediocre like the Star Trek: Armada games. There used to be dozens of RTSes every year!

Rise of Legends had a great campaign complete with unique heroes that weren't in the skirmish/multiplayer. Shame that no one has it available online, I would love to give money to GOG for a version that works on modern systems.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Twerk from Home posted:

Emperor Battle for Dune is like the proto-CnC Generals/CNC3... I loved it myself back in the day but I really doubt it holds up today IF it can even be run natively without some jank hacks.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Didn't it have a neat mechanic where you picked a main faction then a secondary. Kinda a cool idea

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't it have a neat mechanic where you picked a main faction then a secondary. Kinda a cool idea

You had the three main factions, then partway through the Sardukar show up and throw in with one faction based on... something, I think whoever had the most territory? And then later on, the Ix and the Tleilaxu arrive and you can pick one to back you. According to Wikipedia, the Fremen and the Guild can also join you, but doesn't clarify how.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

It was mission-dependent - when picking a mission you'd get a small summary of what you could get from the mission.
For the first round, it would generally have missions that offered an allicance with Fremen or Sardaukar for doing a side objective (Harkonnen never get the option to ally with Fremen). Second round would have missions with either Ix or Tleilaxu. From there on out you would get missions with side objectives to assist your allies, or possibly to add an alliance with whoever you didn't pick in the first round.
The main thing with the options was that you couldn't ally with everyone, because some of them disliked each other. In practice this meant allying with either the Tleilaxu or everyone else.
There was also the Guild, but they weren't available in single player. In multiplayer you picked a house and two sub-houses before starting (with no restrictions, Ix and Tleilaxu were fine).

The main thing it brought to the table was the campaign map. Every round you'd pick a region to attack, most likely looking to recruit your desired sub-house and picking the main house you wanted to fight against. After that the two other houses would do the same thing, possibly attacking each other instead of you. The battlefield for each map was fixed, and had a certain level of permanence - if the AI invaded a region you had already conquered, you'd start with the base you had built while playing earlier, while the enemy started with an MCV and a small army and tried to set up a base. Everyone would also get periodic reinforcements of random units, with the frequency depending on how many neighboring regions were under your control.

The problem was that almost none of this mattered, because you could attack an enemy headquarter by the third round, and that would start the two end-game missions that ignored the status of the campaign map entirely. The cinematics also stopped completely by the third round (except the endgame ones), so you might as well.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

idk what to call this music but Hell Strut
damnit this is going to make me reinstall all the circa Y2K RTSes

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Twerk from Home posted:

On the off chance you haven't already tried/played them, Battle Realms and Metal Fatigue are really solid RTS games. They're probably not even that obscure.

Randalor posted:

Rise of Legends had a great campaign complete with unique heroes that weren't in the skirmish/multiplayer. Shame that no one has it available online, I would love to give money to GOG for a version that works on modern systems.

I was hoping when Rise of Nations got its extended edition that Rise of Legends would soon follow. I would love to give Rise of Legends another shot.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Anyone played the new Dune RTS? Steam reviews are nuking it for not having a single player campaign... which to be fair, is kind of a big deal for RTSs and Dune IPs both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Almost every big RTS that's still has some cachet has a good single player I'm pretty sure. Even more true in the past. Are they chasing the esports dragon :rolleyes:?