Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Suplex Liberace posted:

Is there any interest in a watch along of 90s njpw? Ive been going through 1992 chronologically and i've got a lotta matches to post about but no thread!

Yes. As long as I have a way to watch the matches too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Honestly weird that there isn't really a non-modern wrestling chat thread, not counting the WCW thread, or if there is I missed it. Would be good for anything before 2010 or what-have-you.

When New Japan blew up and then especially AEW people stopped caring as much about old wrestling since there was easily accessible good new wrestling to watch.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There are already too many hours of new wrestling to keep up with without having to also go through the last 40-50 years on top

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i watch some old wrestling just about every day. gets the mind right. watching 2019 stardom and 2005 dragon gate right now. that's the stuff.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I really want to watch 90s AJPW stuff again but I dunno, it's all a matter of time. And I'm trying to watch too much 2023 wrestling.

Someone was streaming NOAH from the start on Sunday evenings for a while and I loved that, and would be happy to join in on something similar with a group watch at set times, New Japan 90s would be fun. Or AJPW.

I kind of want to do a Best of the 90s project, or for the 00s but finding easily accessible footage sounds hard

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i watch a lot of ahmed johnson

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I can understand that, it's good to watch more things than just wrestling and it's great that there's so much Actually Good Wrestling out nowadays. I watch AEW every week and TJPW whenever I'm in the mood to watch a new show. But sometimes, nothing hits quite like a Nick Bockwinkel vs. Jumbo Tsuruta match, or a terrible old episode of Raw. Fun to refresh and get a bit of perspective every now and then, and old wrestling makes for some killer background noise.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

yea ok posted:

i watch some old wrestling just about every day. gets the mind right. watching 2019 stardom and 2005 dragon gate right now. that's the stuff.
I'm going through early 2000s Toryumon, so I'll be catching up to that someday.

Watching Araken with a full head of hair and doing 450 splashes is wild.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

are former WWE wrestlers "allowed" to just go to shows or is there some sort of policy against it?

Like Chelsea Green is having a match against Becky Lynch tonight, if Matt Cardona just bought a front row seat facing the camera would WWE go "Ok we dont want Zak Ryder here distracting" or would they just not care

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

are former WWE wrestlers "allowed" to just go to shows or is there some sort of policy against it?

Like Chelsea Green is having a match against Becky Lynch tonight, if Matt Cardona just bought a front row seat facing the camera would WWE go "Ok we dont want Zak Ryder here distracting" or would they just not care

He would just be backstage.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

He would just be backstage.

thats what i figured but ty for confirming. I assume if youre in good standing you just go backstage, not in good standing just not welcome, and anyone else isnt big enough to matter if they wanna buy a normal ticket.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

thats what i figured but ty for confirming. I assume if youre in good standing you just go backstage, not in good standing just not welcome, and anyone else isnt big enough to matter if they wanna buy a normal ticket.

Well there is that time wwe fired one of the Highlander guys for sitting in the crowd at a tna show. And also the time they thought Britt Baker would get in trouble for being at a nxt show, that didn’t work out though (spoilers)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sandman McMahon posted:

Well there is that time wwe fired one of the Highlander guys for sitting in the crowd at a tna show. And also the time they thought Britt Baker would get in trouble for being at a nxt show, that didn’t work out though (spoilers)

Whats the Britt thing? I didnt hear about that

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

when adam cole was still in nxt they cut to a camera shot of her in the audience presumably to cause her to get heat with AEW since they fired one of the McAllisters for being seen and identified on camera at a TNA taping.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

https://twitter.com/_kennythoughts/status/1541315240327004160

This guy was immediately corrected that it was not an accident (and presumably an attempt to get heat on Britt backstage at AEW ) but that's the general story

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

when adam cole was still in nxt they cut to a camera shot of her in the audience presumably to cause her to get heat with AEW since they fired one of the McAllisters for being seen and identified on camera at a TNA taping.

Got it ty! Thats such a petty wwe thing to do lol ud assume shed cleared it w/ tony first anyway

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

until they started openly tampering with people under contract in AEW tk used to let guys do work with WWE if it didnt interfere with their AEW schedule, usually this was just appearing on interviews or podcasts or panel stuff with WWE or prerecorded messages like they did for cena appreciation day

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

until they started openly tampering with people under contract in AEW tk used to let guys do work with WWE if it didnt interfere with their AEW schedule, usually this was just appearing on interviews or podcasts or panel stuff with WWE or prerecorded messages like they did for cena appreciation day

random follow up this post made me wonder: in AEW are the wrestlers actual employees or "independant contractors" like in WWE?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

random follow up this post made me wonder: in AEW are the wrestlers actual employees or "independant contractors" like in WWE?

most are independent contractors, though there are a handful that are employees that have secondary roles in the company like the bucks, qt marshall, rebel not reba, etc

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

most are independent contractors, though there are a handful that are employees that have secondary roles in the company like the bucks, qt marshall, rebel not reba, etc

ty!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Independent enough that they would be better represented by a guild than a union, unlike WWE's.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Arbite posted:

Independent enough that they would be better represented by a guild than a union, unlike WWE's.

Follow up follow up question: whats the difference between a guild and a union

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Kvlt! posted:

Got it ty! Thats such a petty wwe thing to do lol ud assume shed cleared it w/ tony first anyway

Tony Khan's take on his wrestlers going to other shows is "you don't need my permission, have fun"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bonk posted:

Tony Khan's take on his wrestlers going to other shows is "you don't need my permission, have fun"

best policy tbh and even good for the company. Max Caster comes to my local indie a lot and one of my friends went to a show with me then started watching AEW bc i put it on one night and she said "Oh thats the guy we saw!" and got sucked in

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Honestly weird that there isn't really a non-modern wrestling chat thread, not counting the WCW thread, or if there is I missed it. Would be good for anything before 2010 or what-have-you.

there is a not often used territory thread i started and also the what classic wrestling are you watching thread.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

a person of culture

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I can understand that, it's good to watch more things than just wrestling and it's great that there's so much Actually Good Wrestling out nowadays. I watch AEW every week and TJPW whenever I'm in the mood to watch a new show. But sometimes, nothing hits quite like a Nick Bockwinkel vs. Jumbo Tsuruta match, or a terrible old episode of Raw. Fun to refresh and get a bit of perspective every now and then, and old wrestling makes for some killer background noise.

Yah im in the same boat, love new stuff but the old stuff is just always calling to me. I dont watch any stinky non wrestling tv though.

forkboy84 posted:

I really want to watch 90s AJPW stuff again but I dunno, it's all a matter of time. And I'm trying to watch too much 2023 wrestling.

Someone was streaming NOAH from the start on Sunday evenings for a while and I loved that, and would be happy to join in on something similar with a group watch at set times, New Japan 90s would be fun. Or AJPW.

I kind of want to do a Best of the 90s project, or for the 00s but finding easily accessible footage sounds hard

i would love to do some watch parties. wrestling is better with your friends and some of these matches dont even have cagematch ratings so the more people i can show these sweet matches too the better.

Im gonna throw something together and see how it goes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bonk posted:

Didn't Britt ask permission to go to the NXT show, and Tony was like "We're not a cult."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Kvlt! posted:

Follow up follow up question: whats the difference between a guild and a union

The short version is that a union is an organization made to advocate for the workers at a specific employer, and a guild is when a group of independent contractors come together to advocate for their rights with whoever hires them. An auto-workers' union represents people working at specific auto factories, the Screen Writers Guild represents writers as they bounce between any given writing job.

The point is, WWE calls it's wrestlers independent contractors, but they're locked into an employee relationship with WWE and should be employees with a union. AEW actually treats it's wrestlers like independent contractors, and they should have a guild that would be positioned to advocate for them no matter what promotion they're working for.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I've been looking for a specific article of clothing.
It's a La Parka hoodie.

I can't remember if I included CMLL or AAA in my search. this thing was badass but it was about 5 years ago on eBay when I stumbled on this hoodie that had the same accents and styling as La Parkas gear but have had no luck tracking it down.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I like how this is still true if you have only seen one Big T match.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Bonk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edHoSv8JreM

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I've been looking for a specific article of clothing.
It's a La Parka hoodie.

I can't remember if I included CMLL or AAA in my search. this thing was badass but it was about 5 years ago on eBay when I stumbled on this hoodie that had the same accents and styling as La Parkas gear but have had no luck tracking it down.

If you find it and there’s more then one or it’s not your size hook a fellow parka fan up.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

As long as we're hunting white whales, I might as well ask again. I don't trust my memory because I would have been very young and maybe a sugar-addled child-brain was just remixing 1980s ninja craze, but I could *swear* I saw a vignette for Super Black Ninja (Great Muta) as a babyface. It was English, so it has to be WCCW, which I'm pretty sure we did have on cable. I think he was foiling a museum robbery or something?

It sounds so unlikely recounting it, but if it wasn't for Muta, then there had to be some other media around that time period with a character named Super Black Ninja that a kid in Texas could have seen on cable.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Nehru the Damaja posted:

As long as we're hunting white whales, I might as well ask again. I don't trust my memory because I would have been very young and maybe a sugar-addled child-brain was just remixing 1980s ninja craze, but I could *swear* I saw a vignette for Super Black Ninja (Great Muta) as a babyface. It was English, so it has to be WCCW, which I'm pretty sure we did have on cable. I think he was foiling a museum robbery or something?

It sounds so unlikely recounting it, but if it wasn't for Muta, then there had to be some other media around that time period with a character named Super Black Ninja that a kid in Texas could have seen on cable.

This makes me think of a similar thing I’ve always had in my mind of some tag team walking through the woods and doing a promo or vignette. It’d be WWF and my brain wants it to be The Machines or The Conquistadors or something. I have a weird (maybe false) memory of them walking down a wooded hill in the day time.

I may also just be remembering a dream about my grandparents camp from childhood.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Muta was aThe Super Black Ninja in wccw before becoming the great muta in wcw. He was also a White Ninja in florida

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah. Because it was English it has to be WCCW and not WWC, where he was Super Black before that. But I can't find any evidence that such a vignette exists, and it sounds positively insane and high-concept for WCCW.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah. Because it was English it has to be WCCW and not WWC, where he was Super Black before that. But I can't find any evidence that such a vignette exists, and it sounds positively insane and high-concept for WCCW.

i miss read your question sorry homie! It could be WccW i don't think muta was a straight heel despite being managed by Garry Hart there. I do agree that sounds very high concept for WCCW or Championship wrestling from Florida

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's loving crazy seeing him in WWC against non-giants and you remember oh yeah this guy is like 6'3, 235 and flipping around. It's like if Barry Windham was doing SSPs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I always had this notion that Sting was not big, because of the guys he wrestled.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's loving crazy seeing him in WWC against non-giants and you remember oh yeah this guy is like 6'3, 235 and flipping around. It's like if Barry Windham was doing SSPs.

x-pac style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok friends a new question: The greatest tall wrestler in history. By tall we'll say 6'7+. It seems like once a wrestler hits the 6 and a half foot mark they either just coast on their size, never get good, or wrestling conservatively to preserve their bump card. Am I forgetting some guy who is like the Vader of tall guys?