Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

One of the "subtle" things I appreciate is when Eikons fight, they cause tremendous amounts of death and collateral damage. It really sells the idea, ok these people are human nukes. They cause incredible destruction they barely have any control over.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Clive mom talk

Even if she wasn’t a Sanbreque agent she has a lot of reason to kinda project bad feels on Clive. Rosaria’s legitimacy mostly runs on holding the Phoenix. There was a reasonably long gap where she had one son and that son WASN’T the dominant they were supposed to be, which would cast her legitimacy into question.

That’s a classic recipe for “it’s this kid’s fault for being born bad not mine, I didn’t fail as a mother they failed as a son”.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

How so Lucrecia did not even get to be a mom.

willingly had a child with hojo
willingly let hojo inject the child with alien cells as a fetus
makes literally zero attempts to get her child back when he is taken away, canonically what she does after he's born is finish writing a couple of research papers and then mope in a cave for 30 years. not a single attempt at any sort of contact.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Loose ends need to get tied off. To her mind, why risk some replaceable commoner outing the fact you were instrumental in infanticide? Now she's the ruler of Rosarria with lots of sympathy for her family being wiped out in an ambush she controls the narrative of.

Yeah, my thoughts at that part were "huh, surprised those two will be kept around after all the things th- ... oh."

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

that loving demo went hard, holy crap. didnt expect that level of blood and violence from a FF game, drat. This is amazing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other takeaway I had from the demo is that I think there might be a Clive/Jill romance. The scene with her and Clive under the moon where Clive seems to be hesitating to put his arm around her seems to imply that. It's hard to understand his actions there much otherwise, unless it's just "he doesn't know if it's okay given her status as a ward" (which doesn't seem to be the case, since they otherwise seem to treat Jill as a member of the family).

I kinda hope it is just because I like having romance in my melodramatic story and Jill seems cool. If she didn't join the family at a very young age it's not too weird.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Clive mom talk

Even if she wasn’t a Sanbreque agent she has a lot of reason to kinda project bad feels on Clive. Rosaria’s legitimacy mostly runs on holding the Phoenix. There was a reasonably long gap where she had one son and that son WASN’T the dominant they were supposed to be, which would cast her legitimacy into question.

That’s a classic recipe for “it’s this kid’s fault for being born bad not mine, I didn’t fail as a mother they failed as a son”.

I mean sure, but it's still obvious she was still working with Sanbreque; her betraying Rosalia because she doesn't like Clive doesn't exactly make sense. It's obvious she had zero attachment to anyone outside of wanting to preserve Joshua as a military asset. It's also why she was so cold to literally everyone who wasn't Joshua or the Duke.

It seems pretty clear to me that the general situation is something along the lines of Rosaria has a (supposed) alliance with Sanbreque, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually because Clive/Joshua's mom is from Sanbreque - a political marriage leading to the "alliance." But the whole arrangement was always a sham and intended to destroy Rosaria and (ideally) steal its Eikon.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 13, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

One other takeaway I had from the demo is that I think there might be a Clive/Jill romance. The scene with her and Clive under the moon where Clive seems to be hesitating to put his arm around her seems to imply that. It's hard to understand his actions there much otherwise, unless it's just "he doesn't know if it's okay given her status as a ward" (which doesn't seem to be the case, since they otherwise seem to treat Jill as a member of the family).

I kinda hope it is just because I like having romance in my melodramatic story and Jill seems cool. If she didn't join the family at a very young age it's not too weird.

The latest trailer does show adult Clive and adult Jill acting a bit couple-y, and personally I had always figured that there would be that aspect anyway.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I watched the trailers again and I think I can confirm that the dog is ok

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

What if Torgal didn’t survive the attack at all and the Torgal accompanying you is Ghost Torgal jurassic barking til the bitter end

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Don't worry, given the timeframe the dog will probably die of old age within the span of the game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Thank god. I was worried we would lack for opportunities to traumatize Clive

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The ending is going to be Phoenix resurrecting every single character and having them kick Clive right in the dick.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

If you walk around in the castle you can overhear conversations about how a lot of people already think they're going to get married or are functionally a couple already.

As for the ending of the demo, right before Clive starts freaking out about Ifrit beating up Phoenix he calls out "Torgal?" and you can hear Torgal whimpering, so there's some questions there. What the dog doing?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Torgal is the Fenrir dominant, calling it.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
lmao i cannot believe the Final Fantasy XVI demo ended with the Dummy Plug scene from Neon Genesis Evangelion. What a way to start a game.

This game is soooo influenced by the design sensibilities of Final Fantasy 14, it's really interesting to see. Like the marsh village clearly had a Final Fantasy 14 dungeon structure to its pacing. I haven't played the bonus midgame dungeon yet, but from the live event, it looks like this game's meta is based around optimizing your burst rotation during regularly occurring damage buff intervals. Which is such an MMO way to design combat, but it builds naturally on the FF13 and FF7R combat.

The dragoon boss fight intro had me grinning like crazy. As did the whole eikon battle sequence, which felt like a music video for Soken's wild orchestra.

the game freakin rules. I'm here to ride or die with this sad boy.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Terper posted:

If you walk around in the castle you can overhear conversations about how a lot of people already think they're going to get married or are functionally a couple already.

As for the ending of the demo, right before Clive starts freaking out about Ifrit beating up Phoenix he calls out "Torgal?" and you can hear Torgal whimpering, so there's some questions there. What the dog doing?

hiding under a wooden stair whining in fear most likely

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just completed the demo. Really good so far! I just hope that all the trailers and presentations I have seen so far have spoiled me like a crappy movie trailer. A little hesitant to play the Eikon Challenge if only because I don't want to burn myself out playing on a full kit then have to go back to level 10. Then again, I can and will change my mind on a whim.

Anyway, end of demo speculation: I am guessing that Ifrit is coming from Clive, but it is like an aborted half life attempt at a Pheonix Eikon, and that someone else, through some black magic fuckery (probably the Ascian hooded man Clive saw) was controlling Ifrit by proxy. For who and what end, I am not sure, so I am probably way off base.

Also, I kind of love Clive's VA going all in on the impotent rage while he is vowing vengence on Ifrit.

EDIT: Furthermore, I liked the brief segment where you play as Joshua, which makes it clear that this kid could be scary powerful if he wasn't a frail little boy

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 13, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

hiding under a wooden stair whining in fear most likely

No the point is how can Clive hear that if he's currently, uh, occupied? Like the way the scene is framed, the way it goes immediately from that to the other, just feels strange to me and intentionally so.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anyway, a minor gripe I have is that the timing for magic burst seems a bit tighter than I like but nothing I can't adjust to.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I believe upgrading it makes the timing more lenient

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Terper posted:

No the point is how can Clive hear that if he's currently, uh, occupied? Like the way the scene is framed, the way it goes immediately from that to the other, just feels strange to me and intentionally so.

He was asleep at the wheel as Ifrit, and when he hears Torgal whining he wakes up, but realizes that Ifrit is on autopilot and he can't control it.

Also lol @ naming the god-child with power over healing and resurrection "Joshua"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Eikonic Challenge is a full-on story slice with boss fights that have some actual mechanics in a sense, it is absolutely worth playing unless you don't want to see any story from what I assume is like 5-6 hours into the game (though it could be less!)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cephas posted:

He was asleep at the wheel as Ifrit, and when he hears Torgal whining he wakes up, but realizes that Ifrit is on autopilot and he can't control it.

Also lol @ naming the god-child with power over healing and resurrection "Joshua"

That would be some real "Goku realizes he was the one who killed his Grandpa" poo poo. I mean, that is very likely the point, but yeah.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 13, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

I bet anything this is correct.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Torgal is the Dark Ifrit Dominant. All the "cute Torgal" marketing is a massive attempt at misdirection. Make everyone buy the plushies before they play the game and learn Torgal is a MURDERER

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this combo video is making my brain expand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pStFbNH22S4

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cephas posted:

Again the point is, how can he hear Torgal as if he's close by if he's currently pummeling Joshua into the dirt and how is he able to see the events from a third person perspective?

My theory is well, he doesn't. We see three perspectives in that scene. The first is Torgal's, down on the ground, and this is when we hear the whining that Clive is also able to hear. Clive's voice calling out might make the viewer thing we're seeing this from Clive's perspective, but we hear Joshua's voice just as well from this pov. The second perspective is Clive's as Ifrit, not much to add there. And finally the screen filter is removed and we go back to the regular camera perspective.

tldr

Ibblebibble posted:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Xerophyte posted:

Don't worry, given the timeframe the dog will probably die of old age within the span of the game.

I was thinking about that. He's like 14 years old when Clive is in his 20s, which is already old age for some dogs. This is a fantasy creature though so who knows maybe there's a fair God in that world and you get 25 year old dogs who are ok for the segment set in Clive's 30s

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ImpAtom posted:

I was 100% surprised that Wade and Taylor were not named Biggs and Wedge TBH.

Same, as soon as I saw them I was like "it's biggs and wedge!!" And then they said their names and they weren't :eng99:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The chocobo brains are the only part that’s an embellishment on how gross classic tanning was.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

that dragoon was so incredibly cool, i cant believe it was just a nameless midboss.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Captain Oblivious posted:

The chocobo brains are the only part that’s an embellishment on how gross classic tanning was.

I remember that coming up in the Assassin's Creed Origins demo when people were questioning why a tannery was well outside of city limits. Turns out there were very good reasons for that.

Reive
May 21, 2009

I have replayed the Eikonic Challnge like 7 times and just now realized you can give Torgal orders.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I’m enjoying the slight crutch of having the game slow down as dodge windows open up. Truly helping my old man brain

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
The dragoon was voiced by Estinien's VA right? If not then it's a drat close impression.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Draga posted:

The dragoon was voiced by Estinien's VA right? If not then it's a drat close impression.

Apparently yes. I look forward to him showing up as a dragoon in FFXVII or whatever from now on.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are Cid and the Garuda lady not actual dominants? Or were they choosing to not go full Eikon mode there?
EDIT: Looking at the bios on the official site they are indeed dominants. I guess going full Eikon is a last resort

Nelson Mandingo posted:

One of the "subtle" things I appreciate is when Eikons fight, they cause tremendous amounts of death and collateral damage. It really sells the idea, ok these people are human nukes. They cause incredible destruction they barely have any control over.

It does raise the question of why Rosaria wasn’t immediately steamrolled when their previous dominant died. It seems like the only way to stop a Eikon is with another Eikon

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 13, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Draga posted:

Same VA, doing the exact same voice. And y'know when you have a perfect dragoon voice, you might as well use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Kinda shocked and unsettled by just how normalized slavery is in the setting. I assume his experience being enslaved himself will be part of why Clive ends up becoming part of Cidolfus' abolitionist group, but it really doesn't say much good about even his father beforehand that a Branded was reduced to a terrified and nonvocal wreck in the household's service. That's shockingly bleak for a protagonist homeland.