Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Sadly I suspect both parties will continue trying to win over the Mail even when they're the last people in the country still reading it.

'If it acts powerful and used to be powerful, it must still be powerful' is practically our national motto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Election 2029: Is Labour Leader Jess Phillips about to ban the miracle fruit that cleanses your bow3l?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E: I read it so you don't have to:

quote:

I ran a community school in Zambia (where my husband was working)
(as a mine operator)
(guess what the school was training children for)

Normal Tory career progression

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Pro click

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1667258893074923520

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
While newspaper readership is falling. The type of pepper who still buy them are not only the type to vote, but also share their opinion and sway other voters.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

What happens on the day that both parties just respond to that with 'lol, lmao'?

(to newspaper threats specifically. they'll keep moving further right economically for their backers without any other pressure.)

Those asterisks tell a story too.

The yellow line (Metro) is the clearest indicator of the pandemic - drops hugely when everyone stops travelling, and then ticks back up, but not to where it was before because of all the WFH.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the bbc morning news is defined by the “what the papers say” segment, so circulation isn’t really what’s important

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Kin posted:

I'm starting to get my finances in order with my second kid due in a month and just opened up a savings account with a 3.91% interest rate (Shawbrook if anyone's interested).

I'm just doing the long-term sums and wondering if I have them right.

Basically, we've put £10k in there, to begin with, and plan on topping it up with £12k a year every year until we retire (we're 40 now)

I know interest rates will rise and fall, but if they stay flat at 3.91% for the next 35 years and we keep putting £12k in each year, my excel sums say that when I'm 75, the account will be making ~£37k a year in interest. Does that sound about right?

I dragged that pattern out for another 25 years till I'm 100 and the annual interest jumps up to £116k per year.

If my kids take it on and continue to contribute to it in the same way, then pass it on to my potential grandkids, by the time they hit about 70 the interest will be over half a million per year.

Surely there's a cap to this, or is this basically how the rich stay rich by passing on generational wealth using compound interests (and possibly some sort of inheritance tax avoidance to speed it up).

I mean it's a silly long time to consider, but by the time the account is 115 years old (if my sums are right) it'll be making £1M a year in interest and be long past the point of it actually needing additional money put into it.

u.k. finance thread but basically open a vanguard stocks and shares isa and shove it into one of the larger US exposed funds if you don’t need it for years

don’t do the life strategy fund because you can do that yourself for a much reduced fee

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The privelages committee have finally returned a verdict: "This straight white rich, privately educated cisgender old man may be the most privelaged we have ever seen. We can shut it down now lads, we found him."

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Kin posted:

I'm starting to get my finances in order with my second kid due in a month and just opened up a savings account with a 3.91% interest rate (Shawbrook if anyone's interested).

I'm just doing the long-term sums and wondering if I have them right.

Basically, we've put £10k in there, to begin with, and plan on topping it up with £12k a year every year until we retire (we're 40 now)

I know interest rates will rise and fall, but if they stay flat at 3.91% for the next 35 years and we keep putting £12k in each year, my excel sums say that when I'm 75, the account will be making ~£37k a year in interest. Does that sound about right?

I dragged that pattern out for another 25 years till I'm 100 and the annual interest jumps up to £116k per year.

If my kids take it on and continue to contribute to it in the same way, then pass it on to my potential grandkids, by the time they hit about 70 the interest will be over half a million per year.

Surely there's a cap to this, or is this basically how the rich stay rich by passing on generational wealth using compound interests (and possibly some sort of inheritance tax avoidance to speed it up).

I mean it's a silly long time to consider, but by the time the account is 115 years old (if my sums are right) it'll be making £1M a year in interest and be long past the point of it actually needing additional money put into it.

broadly speaking yes, but you haven't accounted for inflation in your sums (and taxes if you're outside an ISA).

as Jel Shaker says you should probably be in equities for that investment horizon rather than a savings account. I also think you should probably do this in a SIPP if you're not planning to touch this until retirement.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jel Shaker posted:

the bbc morning news is defined by the “what the papers say” segment, so circulation isn’t really what’s important
That's just running on inertia and the revolving door between newspaper people and BBC people though, so there's a limited number of years that could continue even as an open farce once the Mail has similar circulation to the Morning Star.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

What happens on the day that both parties just respond to that with 'lol, lmao'?

(to newspaper threats specifically. they'll keep moving further right economically for their backers without any other pressure.)

Using basically the same colour for FT and Mail is annoying

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

hidden amongst all the grim theory crafting from twitter racists about Nottingham was this:

https://twitter.com/MarklewA/status/1668535946885713920

and this:

https://twitter.com/I_amMukhtar/status/1668535538150719488

:allears:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I don't think the figures relating to print news are too relevant these days when a lot of people read news online and potentially articles from different sources.

Why buy a print newspaper with about a half of it devoted to sport / tv guides / celebrity gossip / soaps updates (all a complete waste of trees IMHO) when I can read a range of articles on things that I am interested in online and if there's a particularly interesting story can read it across 5 or 6 different online news outlets all with their different perspectives & agendas - certainly couldn't afford to buy 5-6 different paper newspapers (can't afford online subs for that many either).

If there was a sort of subscription service which the online news'papers', other news services (blogs or whatever) signed up to and I could pay - I dunno, a monthly sub of say £10 or say '10p per article capped at a max of £10' - I would willingly sign up to it. I ran the idea a year or so ago on FB and quite a few of my friends said they would happily sign up too.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Followed by an absolutely normal career progression every child born in poverty gets, by selling her business to another business she was director of. Before pulling the ladder up behind her by joining the conservatives once she was making idle money.

All normal stuff there.

Also not forgetting that she was in Zambia to head up a school because she moved there with her husband. You'll sometimes see it that Nads 'married a miner' - Paul Dorries was a mining engineer and he was in Zambia to manage a copper mine for Anglo-American.

Bit like Keir and his "my father was a toolmaker my father ran a tool factory" shtick.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

BalloonFish posted:

Bit like Keir and his "my father was a toolmaker my father ran a tool factory" shtick.

Is there any concrete proof that he was more than just a self employed toolmaker? I tried looking for evidence a few months back and only came across random people on twitter making the claims. I hope there is concrete proof, just for the record

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

oxford_town posted:

broadly speaking yes, but you haven't accounted for inflation in your sums (and taxes if you're outside an ISA).

as Jel Shaker says you should probably be in equities for that investment horizon rather than a savings account. I also think you should probably do this in a SIPP if you're not planning to touch this until retirement.

yep SIPP is pretty good for retirement and you can take 25% out tax free at 50, but the caveat is you can’t take it out before then unless you’re really sick. also you put 4 grand in you get 5 grand in your account because of tax reasons

forgot to say get the stocks and shares LISA if you’re under 40 (just open it!) as the government gives you a 25% bonus on the money you put in that (4 grand turns into 5 grand) but you are then only able to put 16 grand in your isa allowance elsewhere

so basically max out your ISA LISA stocks and shares and then divide your money between the standard stocks and shares ISA if you need the money before retirement or SIPP for retirement (with 25% at 50 if you need it)

premium bonds are for chumps

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Round of applause for whichever dipshit gave The Sun and the Mirror colours that are frustratingly similar with such a tiny key that they look identical and you can only tell which is which by knowing that The Sun has the higher circulation and thus is the upper one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Round of applause for whichever dipshit gave The Sun and the Mirror colours that are frustratingly similar
I think that one's on the printers :v:

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

yep SIPP is pretty good for retirement and you can take 25% out tax free at 50, but the caveat is you can’t take it out before then unless you’re really sick. also you put 4 grand in you get 5 grand in your account because of tax reasons

forgot to say get the stocks and shares LISA if you’re under 40 (just open it!) as the government gives you a 25% bonus on the money you put in that (4 grand turns into 5 grand) but you are then only able to put 16 grand in your isa allowance elsewhere

so basically max out your ISA LISA stocks and shares and then divide your money between the standard stocks and shares ISA if you need the money before retirement or SIPP for retirement (with 25% at 50 if you need it)

Yep so LISA vs SIPP depends on your marginal tax rate (more advantageous if higher/additional rate tax band).

Plus the LISA has the caveat that you are penalised (you lose the 25% bonus plus a bit more) unless you withdraw to buy your first property (under £450k) or reach age 60.

Basically I fully recommend reading the r/UKPersonalFinance flowchart, which might currently be down due to the reddit blackout.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If there was a sort of subscription service which the online news'papers', other news services (blogs or whatever) signed up to and I could pay - I dunno, a monthly sub of say £10 or say '10p per article capped at a max of £10' - I would willingly sign up to it. I ran the idea a year or so ago on FB and quite a few of my friends said they would happily sign up too.

I think this is exactly what Apple News is - haven’t used it myself but it keeps popping up on my phone.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BazakeMedia/status/1668514082968707072

:allears:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

I think this is exactly what Apple News is - haven’t used it myself but it keeps popping up on my phone.

I am allergic to Apples & iThingies ;)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So you won't be spending $3,499 to have a virtual copy of the Daily Mail float in front of your vision at all times?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

You can't take anything from your SIPP until you are 55 (unless as Jel says you might be able to if you get very ill but don't rely on being able to - check t&cs!) And it's going up to 57 in 2028!

Seriously - please take properly qualified financial advice regarding all this!

There are so many things to consider and which depend on your age, income etc, as I said in my earlier post particularly as you have kids to consider.

Do agree about SIPP though if you can afford to tie money up until you're 57 (and who knows that might go up again). You don't even have to invest in a fund if you're worried the stock market will crash before you get there - you can keep it in cash form and still nab the tax relief at 25% each year (though that is only on what you put in that year not on all the money). There are also some pitfalls to look out for once you start withdrawing from a pension. (Suggest you check out some of the SIPP providers and download their info sheets on SIPPs and also check out your own employment-based pension conditions if you have one).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 13, 2023

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
learning that the counsel to the covid preparedness inquiry is a man named "hugo keith"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

So you won't be spending $3,499 to have a virtual copy of the Daily Mail float in front of your vision at all times?

Much cheaper to just buy a drone and a copy of the Mail. Maybe hire someone on Fiverr to pilot it around your house

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nuclear Spoon posted:

learning that the counsel to the covid preparedness inquiry is a man named "hugo keith"

Once Hugo Keith, Hu'll never Go Corbyn again

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Beware of Huge Keith, he comes for those who carry the mark of Long Corbyn.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hugo Keith sounds like Hugo Boss but they make uniforms for the nazis that wander around in cargo shorts and polo shirts waving tiki torches.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Yeah, speaking to a financial advisor us on our pre baby to do list.

I only opened up that savings account because it was one listed by Martin Lewis with the highest interest rate and my savings have been sitting in a Halifax ISA with a tiny interest rate for years.

Opened up a moneybox LISA last year, so that's been getting topped up first, but it's just about where to put the rest of the savings we currently have (and the best way to keep that topped up).

I'm about a year we'll be looking at £2k a month nursery fees, which will be like that for a year and a half so we need to get advice to find a balance.

The sooner we save better the sooner we're more set for retirement, but these upfront costs need taken care of first.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
https://twitter.com/whippletom/status/1668561420194127873

cool

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't think the figures relating to print news are too relevant these days when a lot of people read news online and potentially articles from different sources.

Why buy a print newspaper with about a half of it devoted to sport / tv guides / celebrity gossip / soaps updates (all a complete waste of trees IMHO) when I can read a range of articles on things that I am interested in online and if there's a particularly interesting story can read it across 5 or 6 different online news outlets all with their different perspectives & agendas - certainly couldn't afford to buy 5-6 different paper newspapers (can't afford online subs for that many either).

I find most online news sources to be utterly horrific to read. Local papers especially have an endless procession of popups, add bars, breaks in the story for more adverts. Broadsheets and the BBC have made slightly more usable websites but on the whole online news is not designed for reading. As well as that it's a far more democratised system - only a few people can print newspapers and distribute them but anyone can open a website or post on social media.

That said nothing is going to change for a while because none of this is based on reality and those in power don't want it to change. The spectator has a circulation below 100k but the ghouls from that magazine are constantly on TV. We're going to reach a point where highly consumed YouTube channels, Twitch streams or Twitter/IG accounts could argue a greater media influence and right to be on panel shows, but that won't be allowed to happen until the right people get those systems on lockdown.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I can't see Pepe Silvia?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Kin posted:

Yeah, speaking to a financial advisor us on our pre baby to do list.

I only opened up that savings account because it was one listed by Martin Lewis with the highest interest rate and my savings have been sitting in a Halifax ISA with a tiny interest rate for years.

Opened up a moneybox LISA last year, so that's been getting topped up first, but it's just about where to put the rest of the savings we currently have (and the best way to keep that topped up).

I'm about a year we'll be looking at £2k a month nursery fees, which will be like that for a year and a half so we need to get advice to find a balance.

The sooner we save better the sooner we're more set for retirement, but these upfront costs need taken care of first.

Unless you have megamillions, the tiny extra interest you get is hardly worth the kerfuffle of changing and chasing (so long as it's not in a plain ordinary bank savings account).

At 3.9% interest, £1000 gets you £39 interest in a year, at 5% interest £1000 gets you £50 interest, depends on how you value your time! Years ago they used to have a programme on Radio 4 called Moneybox (might still have but I am no longer a consumer of BBC-based products) and they had a case of a woman who wanted to put her savings in an account paying higher interest but when she got to the branch (yeah, it was a while ago), the account was closed to new business. But they said if she went to a different branch, they would hold it open specially for her until midday the following day - so she gallumphed across the country to this branch and put her savings in. The presenter on moneybox then went on to say "the cost of petrol to go to that branch far exceeded the extra interest she would gain by being able to put her savings in that account".

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

winegums posted:

I find most online news sources to be utterly horrific to read. Local papers especially have an endless procession of popups, add bars, breaks in the story for more adverts. Broadsheets and the BBC have made slightly more usable websites but on the whole online news is not designed for reading. As well as that it's a far more democratised system - only a few people can print newspapers and distribute them but anyone can open a website or post on social media.

That said nothing is going to change for a while because none of this is based on reality and those in power don't want it to change. The spectator has a circulation below 100k but the ghouls from that magazine are constantly on TV. We're going to reach a point where highly consumed YouTube channels, Twitch streams or Twitter/IG accounts could argue a greater media influence and right to be on panel shows, but that won't be allowed to happen until the right people get those systems on lockdown.

Reach seem to have taken over many local online newspapers and those are terrible with the dancing ads all over the place!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
How are you people still seing ads in tyool 2023, have you no browser extensions? no pi-holes?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And miss out on all the exclusive life insurance deals for over 40s in {ajax:county}shire?

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Not to mention the articles that are just ads themselves, about the new McDonald's menu or an item at Lidl that is apparently causing a stir on social media or whatever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think every decent long form article I've read in several years now has also been marketing for the authors latest book on a similar topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

gently caress my hip problem isn't gonna go away and I'm gonna need a replacement one day. For now got my walking stick and painkillers.

Am I disabled? I forgot to ask the consultant, gonna ask my GP that literal question I guess.

Local CAB are saying they don't have the resources to take on new clients or however they refer to them. How can i get help in filling out a PIP form. Or maybe disability allowance? But I don't know which I am.