Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

turn off the TV posted:

But poo poo tons of AI generated bot posts will make it a horrible source for training data. They're poisoning their own well with this

no way, that is way more interesting. let the AIs circle on their own posts until they develop an entirely unique and new culture and language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Uh the solution is going to be AI moderators. I think it will go very super good.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Cosmik Debris posted:

I seriously doubt conde nast offered Lowtax 20 mil. Reddit had VC funding and the people behind it had actual business acumen and new what they were doing.

And yet Lowtax actually made a site that turned a profit.

helno posted:

As a Reddit moderator you have no idea just how many people beg to be made moderators.

Its a loving curse. You think you want this but really you don't.

I used to run lovely little byond games in Highschool and had a fake "moderator" role that had a bunch of actions that looked like mod tools but basically just wrote what they did to a text file. None of them did anything else, except the Ban button, which was just a re-labeled ignore button.

This might surprise you, but all but one of the people who begged for roles tried exploiting it the second they thought they could get away with it (ie: when I logged off)

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
To any redditors reading: gently caress OFF

PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Deki posted:

And yet Lowtax actually made a site that turned a profit.

Turns out the key to turning a profit is not sinking any money into the business at all and just coasting off the residuals from the glory days for 15 years.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

The website already has a problem with prolific numbers of bot accounts

Given that their autogenerated usernames are now Adjective-Noun-1234 I thought this was a deliberate move so you could not discern actual users with the equivalent of a Stupid Newbie avatar from bots, so they could pump the MAU numbers.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
lmao man

the mod tools thing stinks of this Elon-ism going through tech right now. I got hosed by it in my last place too (we were not tech, but we had wannabe techbro new leadership who treated it like it was) and I feel like more and more tech companies are just flaring out due to horrendous changes of direction like this

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Wait what’s happening with Reddit mod tools lol

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I can see that decision making meeting now, I know someone brought it up, and someone said "oh we can do that"

oooo I wonder if they'll farm it out to some external moderation... thing

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

biznatchio posted:

Turns out the key to turning a profit is not sinking any money into the business at all and just coasting off the residuals from the glory days for 15 years.

If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

buglord posted:

Wait what’s happening with Reddit mod tools lol

killing api access kills how a lot of it was bein' done especially on the scale it was being done

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Duck and Cover posted:

Subforum? No no no that's an important topic deserving of a full forum.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com

If CPF is too bougie for you, there's https://budgetlightforum.com/ and their top post is welcoming people from reddit.

Watching subs go dark last night was entertaining. Caught 400 subs go dark a bit ago as the script updated.

https://reddark.untone.uk/

Backup hosts
https://reddark-digitalocean-7lhfr.ondigitalocean.app/
http://lknm.duckdns.org/

https://twitch.tv/reddark_247

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
hi gbs, can't believe reddit is dead

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Lol I guess I'm going to buy a reddit ad pointing to this thread but I need a funny image. Wtf do I even pick? Pig balls might get me in trouble lol.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lol I guess I'm going to buy a reddit ad pointing to this thread but I need a funny image. Wtf do I even pick? Pig balls might get me in trouble lol.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

how much of goatse do you suppose you’d have to blur before they’d accept the ad?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

make it a giant animated :gb2gbs:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Snoring posted:

Yeah, that's I think more or less what kbin and Lemmy are. They're like a decentralized version of reddit and they can talk to each other somehow (??) but I don't really get it yet. Looks like there are already a lot of reddit refugees on both of them and someone has already created a new /r/butts (only one butt so far though lol). Not really sure if either of them will get the traction they need to last but I think the reddit drama has given both of them a huge boost.

People are literally trying to boycott Lemmy because the dev is *gasp* a Marxist and they simply cannot tolerate the author of their free open source alternative being anti-capitalist scum.

They both kind of suck though. All that federated poo poo scales really poorly and makes it hard to discover stuff. SA has bafflingly remained resilient to the internet bullshit train just by virtue of not getting greedy and not really changing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Correction, by the virtue of being too lazy and incompetent to act greedy

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Thoughtless posted:

I don't understand why every techbro CEO suddenly decided to destroy their websites. Elmo set the standard with Twitter, then Imgur, Reddit, Twitch etc all saw that and went "well gently caress making money, we also prefer... memes"?

Like, did something happen economically where the sites can't pay for themselves any longer? But if so, why not just... shut them down or sell them? Why deliberately destroy all value you've built up? how does capitalism work help

not quite 1:1 but i'm posting this youtube vid because i enjoyed it a few weeks ago. Every big corpo social media site wants to be the next big one where your rate of profit skyrockets so its very alluring (i.e. look at how tf facebook made so much money), especially when you consider how big a user/knowledge base the respective sites have that are sitting around unmonetized. The idea of successfully monetizing even a small amount of it means insane amounts of value being realized into existence out of thin air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B71mbSBgZ3E

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

All from this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898006

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

GolfHole posted:

in all seriousness

you're better off going to the library

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Ad suggestion:

"reddit may be dead now, but somethingawful's been dead for years and is a lot better at it"

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The admins are starting to strike back it seems. The top moderator of r/adviceanimals was removed and the sub reopened.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

Muscular Typist posted:

I always knew SA would outlast reddit. Bunch of sellouts. Congratulations goons.

Me too. SA is looking pretty good these days.

Same here. Digging this account out of mothballs felt good. Honestly I think the 10bux verification method is solid, and was clearly ahead of its time, lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If the reddit mods wanted their protest to have any effect they'd just leave the subreddits open and have everyone post the most traumatizing shock images while refusing to do anything.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Barring that they could just ditch reddit en masse and start their own site. Reddit's not worth saving and if any subreddit communities are they can just be transplanted somewhere better.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Let the EU make a law that forces all online services with the characteristics of social media to offer a paid subscription model that disables all profit motive driven parts of the content recommendation algorithm. The code for the content recommendation algorithms is to be periodically audited by independent organizations. The height of the fees is capped to 2x the average revenue you get from an ad-supported account. Make it so.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

GABA ghoul posted:

Let the EU make a law that forces all online services with the characteristics of social media to offer a paid subscription model that disables all profit motive driven parts of the content recommendation algorithm. The code for the content recommendation algorithms is to be periodically audited by independent organizations. The height of the fees is capped to 2x the average revenue you get from an ad-supported account. Make it so.
I just worry this will end up making the whole of the internet like LinkedIn. Everything over there is so grossly saccharine and motivational, that waves and waves of posts telling you to 'be the best you today! drink some water!' would get old. Especially in a situation where there are folks out there whose USP is essentially just good vibes.

Sometimes, I don't want to be the best me. I want to spend £30 on one(!) pizza, sit there and eat it in my boxers while watching The Rookie.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Decision and content on SA is not profit driven and something like 50% of posts here are poop and fart jokes that are barely above grunts(:love: you SA)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Further Reading posted:

The admins are starting to strike back it seems. The top moderator of r/adviceanimals was removed and the sub reopened.

A whole bunch of subreddits are suddenly "unmoderated" and people who haven't posted in over a year are demanding they be made moderator now lmao

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
Everyone knows the best alternative to reddit is AOL boards.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Something of a goon pilgrimage

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Konar posted:

Lol I would never admit to this

I mean I’m posting in GBS so it’s already clear how lovely I am.

ddiddles posted:

You know you can just...not do it right?

I don’t do anywhere near as much as I used to. It’s funny how keeping a community you enjoy clean slowly makes you hate that community.

Hotel Kpro posted:

There's like some unspoken rule that if someone begs to be made a moderator, they'd be real poo poo at it and the only ones who do a good job would never volunteer for it. something something abuse of power or whatever

It is hilarious when you see all of the moderator actions that have been taken against them.

Not quite as hilarious as the hundreds of people who have requested access during this shutdown. Half of them basically submit a resume.

helno fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 13, 2023

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

helno posted:

Half of them basically submit a resume.

-Starts each bullet point with a verb
-"My vision"
-Thank you so much for your time! I am so appreciative for this opportunity to take this sub to the next logical step"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

helno posted:

I mean I’m posting in GBS so it’s already clear how lovely I am.

I don’t do anywhere near as much as I used to. It’s funny how keeping a community you enjoy clean slowly makes you hate that community.

I ended up in charge of one of the biggest fan servers for a certain niche game, and gently caress me, every time I check on it, it's me wondering what's on fire and who did it.

I've considered shutting the whole thing down several times, but people would be very angry at me.