Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Right. The way I understand it is, given enough time, there's a tendency for the water absorbed by the ethanol in gas to separate out and not get reabsorbed. Ethanol is hygroscopic, so it will absorb moisture from the air, and it's miscible in both water and gasoline... But water is definitely not miscible in gas.

E:

Slavvy posted:

Yeah it's this. I would recommend draining the tank fully at this point so it doesn't start rusting.

I just drained off about a liter, I'll put it back into Res on the way home and see if I pulled out enough. If it doesn't turn into a triple again I might just run the whole tank through on Res to make sure I scavenge as much as I can without pulling the petcock out (again).

Phy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

After doing that it might be a good idea to drain the bowls too

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You're not wrong, that's a job for tomorrow. I made it home, draining off a liter seems to have removed enough un-gas for now. Thankfully "Prime" does flow from the reserve and not the main pickup.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
You can also use a fuel antifreeze like heet which allows water to intermix with the fuel and burn.

(The tank on my bike is impossible to fully drain by hand so that’s what I have to do)

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Motorcycles on dirt is really fun. I got a properish dirtbike instead of the Versys 300 out to the ATV park. Night and day experience. It's the difference between "I can do this carefully, it's kinda fun and challenging" and "holy gently caress wheee this is fun and challenging"

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Motorcycles on dirt is really fun.

:hellyeah:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Wow, did not see this coming. Zero is publicly releasing all their service manuals

https://www.motorcyclepowersportsnews.com/zero-motorcycles-announces-self-service-manuals/

https://zeromotorcycles.com/owner-resources

Next they need to let us use the dealer only software to do firmware updates and toggle features (I still haven't shlepped to the dealer to have my heated grips that I installed activated)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Motorcycles on dirt is really fun. I got a properish dirtbike instead of the Versys 300 out to the ATV park. Night and day experience. It's the difference between "I can do this carefully, it's kinda fun and challenging" and "holy gently caress wheee this is fun and challenging"

100%

What dirt bike did you get?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Verman posted:

100%

What dirt bike did you get?

Kayo TT140. I wanted to start small haha. 70/100/17 and 90/100/14 tires. 11.4 inches of ground clearance. 160 lbs.
Yx140 engine branded for Kayo.

I got it out the other day and was ripping around the atv park.

My stepbrother has a small singletrail track on his backyard as well.

No problems with it thus far. It seems sprung fine for an adult.

Dirt bikes for some reason are insanely expensive around here for used JP bikes.

I may or may not outgrow it in a year or two. It was a blast even on torn up ATV tracks, the thin tires can make a path anywhere.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 12, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have to get to Lugano tomorrow for a conference which means crossing the Alps. I did the same thing in 2019 and went over Furka and Gotthard passes which was pretty amazing. This time I have a dilemma, Scrambler or Fireblade.

I got some SW Motech luggage straps which mean getting bags on the Fireblade is much easier. Wouldn't have been a viable option otherwise

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Riding dirt made me a better street bike rider more than any amount of street bike riding. Having a better tool for the job will be immensely validating for you now.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I am grateful the Versys X 300 gave me a taste of trail riding. I never would have tried it if I got anything else as a first bike for the street. I'm still totally going to take that thing down MABDR..but no more chopped up woods ATV trails and valleys and mud pits :banjo:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I have to get to Lugano tomorrow for a conference which means crossing the Alps. I did the same thing in 2019 and went over Furka and Gotthard passes which was pretty amazing. This time I have a dilemma, Scrambler or Fireblade.

I got some SW Motech luggage straps which mean getting bags on the Fireblade is much easier. Wouldn't have been a viable option otherwise

How many hours of eating wind is it?

Also i think that area of the world is pretty anti speeding if I remember? If that's the case, Scarambler will probably be more fun and less likely to get a ticket.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Russian Bear posted:

How many hours of eating wind is it?

Also i think that area of the world is pretty anti speeding if I remember? If that's the case, Scarambler will probably be more fun and less likely to get a ticket.

4.5 hours total of which maybe 2.5 on the autoroute. Valais had a referendum and rejected having fixed speed cameras so none for a major part of the journey.

I'm leaning Blade but I think the Ducati could be lots of fun on the passes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
4.5 hours? Hardly anything, take the Fireblade

E: if it ends up sucking, I deeply apologize and beg you don't listen to me next time

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
When I found this toy, I bought two of them for our puppy because he chews with purpose.

Tuvix shows you the value of ATGATT.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

opengl posted:

Wow, did not see this coming. Zero is publicly releasing all their service manuals

https://www.motorcyclepowersportsnews.com/zero-motorcycles-announces-self-service-manuals/

https://zeromotorcycles.com/owner-resources

Next they need to let us use the dealer only software to do firmware updates and toggle features (I still haven't shlepped to the dealer to have my heated grips that I installed activated)

This is great news, should also help out all the americans using wrecked Zeros to build other electric vehicles.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Some day I will electric convert my spare RV90 chassis

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Last minute - anyone want to go to Spa-Francorchamps for the 24h of motos this weekend?
I got really really sick and don't fancy pulling over to vom every 20 minutes. Really sucks but going to cut our losses. Tickets are for the race weekend and include camping for 2 bikes. Paid €99 each, I'll sell them both for €99.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtZiIwWAple/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Dumb idle thought: What would it be like if you used those Apple goggles while riding as a HUD?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Literally 😂

I have been going to a place called Tall Pines in NY. Some of it is like that.

A lot of it is like this, bunch of rocks, no idea how they got there
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cs864cSAaA_/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Other parts mud pits.

Lot of valleys and like streams.

It is hard to find legitimate places to dirtbike. Locations to take your bike should be a thread, dirt or otherwise.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar

T Zero posted:

Dumb idle thought: What would it be like if you used those Apple goggles while riding as a HUD?

terrible, because they have a narrow field of view and what you see is a camera passthrough, not a direct view outside.

HUDs are important for situations where you need to keep your eyes up while also viewing critical data (e.g. airspeed). motorcycles are not in that situation because there's no data that you need to have in front of your face at all times. a better system is an extremely simple and non-distracting gauge that can be interpreted instantly at a glance.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

It is hard to find legitimate places to dirtbike. .

I feel very lucky in this regard. Within 1 hour of my house I have literally hundreds of miles of PNW forest trails.
I can drive 2.5 hours to ride all of the Oregon Dunes on the coast. I have no shortage of awesome places to ride.
Time is usually the issue.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

Last minute - anyone want to go to Spa-Francorchamps for the 24h of motos this weekend?
I got really really sick and don't fancy pulling over to vom every 20 minutes. Really sucks but going to cut our losses. Tickets are for the race weekend and include camping for 2 bikes. Paid €99 each, I'll sell them both for €99.

Lol I even booked this weekend off for motorcycle stuff, but we can't afford a flight to Belgium

I'm finally gonna hit up that museum in Salmon Arm though, that'll be fun

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

terrible, because they have a narrow field of view and what you see is a camera passthrough, not a direct view outside.

HUDs are important for situations where you need to keep your eyes up while also viewing critical data (e.g. airspeed). motorcycles are not in that situation because there's no data that you need to have in front of your face at all times. a better system is an extremely simple and non-distracting gauge that can be interpreted instantly at a glance.

Yeah a helmet with a HUD seems super cool until you really think about how it could actually help you

All I can come up with is a little blinking red dot in the corner to tell me I'm breaking the speed limit

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Yeah a helmet with a HUD seems super cool until you really think about how it could actually help you

All I can come up with is a little blinking red dot in the corner to tell me I'm breaking the speed limit

I think you could probably add directions to it as well in a way that's helpful. Not necessary at all, but helpful.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

T Zero posted:

F9 had a "smart" helmet video which applies here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiACV0Ly4j4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar
a left or right arrow with a distance counting down would be okay. but again, you don't need that in your vision at all times. you can look down for half a second to see the big arrow and range number instead.

HUDs are for places where you must have the data without looking down for even a fraction of a second (e.g. aviation), or where you physically cannot look down or pull up the data somewhere else (e.g. working EOD in a bomb suit). and in all of those genuine cases, you must balance the need for the data with the obscuring of the visual field, and you have to train the operator to avoid being distracted by the data when they should really be focusing on the world.

i would rather present the information through an otherwise unused channel, like sound or touch.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Treat Williams (actor) was killed on his motorcycle yesterday - from the description, an SUV turned left in front of him going into a parking lot. He was wearing a helmet. The SUV driver stated they didn't see Williams. Driver was not cited at the scene.

Be as safe as you can out there, y'all - ride like they're trying to kill you

http://vtstatepolice.blogspot.com/2023/06/shaftsbury-barracks-fatal-motor-vehicle.html

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Yeah. Another left handed turn by a cager event.

I've been doing some brake testing lately, threshold braking. It is difficult to get the ABS to trigger up front. I am trying some sintered brakes.

I've noticed with the suspension upgrades, and now road 6s tires, it's shining a spotlight on the weakness of the brakes on my bike. Whereas before the bike would dive and bounce on heavy braking, and it felt like strong braking, now the front suspension slowly compresses the harder I brake. It's providing a ton of feedback and feeling about brakes. I feel like the bike needs significantly more space to stop than a car...with all these accidents....feels bad.

It's so easy to measure breaking power by a feeling of how quickly you are lurched forward and not by distance. When the suspension and tires are top notch and all that is being absorbed and put into the road instead of your forks just bottoming out or like immediately rebounding when you let off a little..like drat it feels different....

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 17, 2023

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

Be as safe as you can out there, y'all - ride like they're trying to kill you

Really this. Never assume that stopped car is going to stay stopped, especially one about to do a left turn across your path. I always reduce speed by a few percent and get ready to brake/evade in that situation. I haven't been hit while riding a motorcycle, but I have been on a bicycle. Small residential street, the driver suddenly decides to veer across my path into a parking spot. Broken collarbone and busted shoulder ligaments for me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Yeah. Another left handed turn by a cager event.

I've been doing some brake testing lately, threshold braking. It is difficult to get the ABS to trigger up front. I am trying some sintered brakes.

I've noticed with the suspension upgrades, and now road 6s tires, it's shining a spotlight on the weakness of the brakes on my bike. Whereas before the bike would dive and bounce on heavy braking, and it felt like strong braking, now the front suspension slowly compresses the harder I brake. It's providing a ton of feedback and feeling about brakes. I feel like the bike needs significantly more space to stop than a car...with all these accidents....feels bad.

It's so easy to measure breaking power by a feeling of how quickly you are lurched forward and not by distance. When the suspension and tires are top notch and all that is being absorbed and put into the road instead of your forks just bottoming out or like immediately rebounding when you let off a little..like drat it feels different....

You just need to practice your Akira slides

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Opopanax posted:

You just need to practice your Akira slides

Or become a hadda lay'er down master
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jrdfi2ldsc

There are so many accidents in the local facebook groups.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I was out at brunch with some people and mentioned I’m going for a motorcycle ride later. A person I didn’t k ow well asked me if I ever had to “layer Dan” and I went with the typical, that’s not a thing you do, your tires give you the best chance to stop or navigate an emergency situation and that’s typically said by people who ran out of skill for the situation. And then turns out her friend said that he had to lay it down because it was a downpour. I uhhh said, “if the raining is that bad then maybe just gotta pull over”.

Idk not worth talking about motorcycles basically ever.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I am joking. I do think it is funny as a motorcycle meme.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
That said....I have not been in a street accident. I've dropped my bike in dirt...and went off track once.
There is something to say about that oh poo poo moment when something goes wrong. There's enough time to consciously think about what to do.

I went off track once on a closed course, it was a conscious decision to stand the bike up and go into the grass in a controlled manner, vs trying to increase lean angle after I felt I was going a bit wide. I think I would have lowsided vs stopped the bike in grass uneventfully.

On dirt, there's a conscious decision to try to control the bike with the clutch vs perfect throttle if it gets bumpy...

There aren't enough oh poo poo moments on the street, I am hoping my oh poo poo moments off street prepare me for the inevitable oh poo poo street moment. I pray in the moment I make the right decision, swerve vs brake, that I have the foresight to predict erratic cars etc. 😔

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 17, 2023

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I have crashed approximately one million billion times in the dirt.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
username/post perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I crashed in the dirt just fifteen minutes ago, and also fourteen minutes ago