Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

i think the lesson they learned from wow is "we can do whatever and people will pay for it"

Good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

My Lovely Horse posted:

Starting to become convinced that Zelda has crafting because Nintendo knows youtubers will generate a whole viral ad environment for them for free, in the firm belief they're making bank from ad money on Nintendo's back.

If that were the case, you'd think Nintendo would stop with the constant DMCA takedown notices.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
There's to much tech and scifi in the new Zelda game for me. I don't want any magic tech in my magic fantasy game. Fantasy in my scifi is fine, like Warhammer 40K. The most advanced tech that should be allowed in games with swords is big cannons.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Big Ganons & Big Cannons

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
All of that technology in Tears seems inferior to Guardian Stalkers tbh, yeah they have a crippling weakness to being parried, but that master sword thing is 100% just being controlled by an ancient pig demon.

Also, doing the Master Sword quest in Tears made me realize how lame having to have X hearts instead of The Fun Stat (stamina) leveled in BOTW for it. I get that it’s a cute little homage to Zelda 1 which is the vibe BOTW was going for, and you can respec for a pittance of rupees, but using both your hearts and stamina accomplishes the same thing without potentially overshooting your requirements.

Also also, it seems weird that Tears doesn’t show an attack stat for the Master Sword. I found out online it has 30 attack, which is stupid strong by that game’s standards when the “this leeches HP from you constantly” weapons are around 40 attack, but even without HP numbers you can still, you know, infer approximately how strong it is.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Len posted:

i think the lesson they learned from wow is "we can do whatever and people will pay for it"

They didn't get really into "we despise our customers and want to hurt them" until DI did they?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

This cinematic of a drop falling onto my sheikah slate is so good I'm glad there's no way to skip it. I just want to see it again and again and again.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ditto the Gloom of the Blood Moon

i know they're loading screens but i would legit rather just see a black screen for a bit after the first few times

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
there's a bunch of weird things like that where the game is just like "you will experience this the way we meant you to" even though that's not the case at all in most of the game. in a game where I can skip like 40 shrines with a rocket shield, you won't let me change my controls or skip a cutscene?

at least it's not as bad as animal crossing, which would have you go through like the same 10 text boxes every time you wanted to fly to another island or something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Lone Badger posted:

They didn't get really into "we despise our customers and want to hurt them" until DI did they?

Even that made like 300 million last year, and I think it only released in the summer

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

jackofarcades posted:

at least it's not as bad as animal crossing, which would have you go through like the same 10 text boxes every time you wanted to fly to another island or something.

Want to trade in nook points for a money ticket? Here's the same text and animation for each. Individual. Ticket.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

jackofarcades posted:

there's a bunch of weird things like that where the game is just like "you will experience this the way we meant you to" even though that's not the case at all in most of the game. in a game where I can skip like 40 shrines with a rocket shield, you won't let me change my controls or skip a cutscene?

I've been assured by this thread that if you find something tedious that's because you haven't solved the puzzle yet.

I'm not sure puzzle there is to solve during the unskippable scenes Nintendo wants you to watch, but apparently there's a trick to it

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

sometimes the puzzle is just realizing you don't actually need the mechanic to play the game quite comfortably.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Len posted:

I've been assured by this thread that if you find something tedious that's because you haven't solved the puzzle yet.

cracking out the enigma machine for Your Posts

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Len posted:

Even that made like 300 million last year, and I think it only released in the summer

Exactly. It was relatively recently that they found out they can abuse their customers not just accidentally but deliberately and with malice and they'll still line up to give them money.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

KingSlime posted:

There are a million things in this game that are very tedious if you don't approach the right way and with the right items

I guess what I'm saying is if something seems especially annoying or tedious there's a good chance that you're not approach in the correct fashion and there's enough crossover between item effects that a little experimentation will usually yield a pretty effective solution

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Regardless of whether I agree with Len or not this was a good burn.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lobok posted:

Regardless of whether I agree with Len or not this was a good burn.

:agreed:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yep that was in response to folks madly insisting on breaking down gigantic walls of rock with tiny fragile hammers that break after a few hits.

In a physics puzzle game.

Not sure what that has to do with unskippable loading screens but may the tears continue to flow :getin:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

KingSlime posted:

Yep that was in response to folks madly insisting on breaking down gigantic walls of rock with tiny fragile hammers that break after a few hits.

In a physics puzzle game.

Not sure what that has to do with unskippable loading screens but may the tears continue to flow :getin:

Shooting a rock wall repeatedly, throwing bombs at a rock wall repeatedly, throwing gorons at a rock wall repeatedly, hitting it with a hammer repeatedly. You do see how those puzzle solutions are all tedious busywork after the first time right?

Unless you can make a magic ultra cannon that just cleaves through the entire hallway in one go it's busywork, in which case I'm definitely not smart enough for this game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
There are magic cannons in the game yeah

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

KingSlime posted:

There are magic cannons in the game yeah

Well gently caress, I only ever managed to make canons that do the same as bombs. How do you make a canon that one shots the entire hallways?

Edit: the best I found was giving the spirit sage two and alternating fire

Len has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Jun 14, 2023

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
They won't one shot it but if you have enough battery a single self standing cannon usually clears what I need with minimal tedium. I like to live dangerously and pick it up while it's firing which has definitely led to me blowing myself up multiple times lol but lets you aim on the fly and makes clearing tunnels fun

Now the floating coliseum can eat a dick, I noped the hell out of that. It's making me hate the combat in this game

E: spoilered for those still experimenting

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Jun 14, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Remember when this thread was about Dark Souls?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

kazil posted:

Remember when this thread was about Dark Souls?

Yes I remember when it was good as well

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tears of the Kingdom is the Dark Souls of Zelda in many respects

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

KingSlime posted:

They won't one shot it but if you have enough battery a single self standing cannon usually clears what I need with minimal tedium. I like to live dangerously and pick it up while it's firing which has definitely led to me blowing myself up multiple times lol but lets you aim on the fly and makes clearing tunnels fun

Now the floating coliseum can eat a dick, I noped the hell out of that. It's making me hate the combat in this game

E: spoilered for those still experimenting

Man don't even get me started on blowing myself up. I don't know why I always think a bomb arrow works when the air is on fire but I always forget that's a thing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

tears of the kingDUMB!!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I really didn't care for the Gannon Demon fight in the small room with the 2 cuccos

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

kazil posted:

I really didn't care for the Gannon Demon fight in the small room with the 2 cuccos

As someone who's not played a Zelda game since Wind Waker, I couldn't not hear the OoT horse race music play over what this post describes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's also a roguelike.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Owl Inspector posted:

tears of the kingDUMB!!

lol gottem

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

It's also a roguelike.

Every game is a roguelike if you ragequit without saving

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i don't think rogue is

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is Global Thermonuclear War a roguelike?

credburn has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Jun 15, 2023

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

i don't think rogue is

I can't think of a single game more like Rogue than Rogue itself.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I did fight a Souls boss in Zelda just yesterday (in that it was huge and I had to hack at its ankles all while constantly working against the camera).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Snake Maze posted:

I can't think of a single game more like Rogue than Rogue itself.

"like" indicates there is a distinction between A and B!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mario Golf: Super Rush - for a game whose entire gimmick revolves around giving you reasons to run around on a golf course and upgrade your speed and stamina, you sure spend an awful lot of time walking between overworld locations without being able to dash or anything. I don't care if it's not your upgraded outrun-my-own-shot speed, just give me something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This final level in Under the Skin is REALLY annoying, but I'm getting closer and closer to winning. I almost had it but got hosed right in the last 20 seconds. Edit: Did it. The ending was really funny, so glad I managed it.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Jun 15, 2023