Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

cum jabbar posted:

I was just thinking the same thing earlier. I'm a strong candidate in any role I'd apply to, but with 200 applicants it's such a dice roll on whether my resume would even be seen

I guess that's why everyone uses ATS to screen resumes. But then it's like you're being pulled in two directions. If I focus too much on making a resume to punch through the screening software it'll read like crap once a human lays eyes on it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

200 applicants usually just means 196 no-hopers

source: years of hiring

Yeah, I know that's true. All the more reason I'd just rather not see the number.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm one of the 196 :sweatdrop:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Well, this makes me feel better about the drug test: https://dol.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2021/10/p420-cannabisfaq-10-08-21.pdf

Apparently, in my state, it's illegal to discriminate against people who use cannabis legally on their off-hours. I purchased my cannabis through NY's only legal dispensary. I actually still have the boxes and the receipt. I never tried it before that. I haven't taken it since 4/4/23 and it's 6/12/23 so it probably won't matter. But this does make me feel better. And the offer is from a company that is not federal government and just sells and maintenance parts to private clients. So, that takes some edge off.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah no poo poo. Also trying to get in early helps too.

Covok posted:

Hey, sorry to spam, but I just got a good offer!

It's 90k with a 10 minute commute. My choice of either 8 to 5, 9 to 6, or 8 to 4 or 9 to 5 if I skip lunch. I am getting the offer tonight. It's pending a drug and background check. I haven't done anything criminal so the background check should be fine. As for the drug test, I haven't done weed since early April. According to the job summary, it should have health, dental, vision, and 401k.

Congrats!!

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

I'm suffering from success. I recently changed jobs from a state DOT construction inspector to a local municipality's public works inspector. What was supposed to be dream job turned to poo poo since my new boss is a nightmare to work for. I've shot out my resume all over LinkedIn, Indeed, and zip recruiter. I've had like 7 interviews with engineering firms (including the company I originally left to work for the township) and they're all desperate for workers with my level of experience. Most are offering what I currently make but I don't want to make a lateral move. I just recieved an offer letter for $15K+ what I make now but I'm not in love with the firm.

This might be more for the negotiation thread but I'm curios if I can take the rate from my offer letter and see if other companies can match it. My previous employer is willing to train me in construction management which has more room for advancement. Also, I'm waiting to hear back from a company I interviewed with the company owner Saturday for a position that's more of a contract adminstrator/office manager that sounds much for appealing to me. The clients are municipal which I'm much better versed in due to my current position.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Secret Machine posted:

I'm suffering from success. I recently changed jobs from a state DOT construction inspector to a local municipality's public works inspector. What was supposed to be dream job turned to poo poo since my new boss is a nightmare to work for. I've shot out my resume all over LinkedIn, Indeed, and zip recruiter. I've had like 7 interviews with engineering firms (including the company I originally left to work for the township) and they're all desperate for workers with my level of experience. Most are offering what I currently make but I don't want to make a lateral move. I just recieved an offer letter for $15K+ what I make now but I'm not in love with the firm.

This might be more for the negotiation thread but I'm curios if I can take the rate from my offer letter and see if other companies can match it. My previous employer is willing to train me in construction management which has more room for advancement. Also, I'm waiting to hear back from a company I interviewed with the company owner Saturday for a position that's more of a contract adminstrator/office manager that sounds much for appealing to me. The clients are municipal which I'm much better versed in due to my current position.

I've interviewed just to get an offer and wave it around to places I actually want to go. Also prevents HR from loving around and wasting your time, since you put the company in "poo poo or get off the pot" mode. Though, you could get put in a weird spot if you show it to somewhere you really want and they're like "yeah we're not changing our offer". I've had that before too.

Covok posted:

Well, this makes me feel better about the drug test: https://dol.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2021/10/p420-cannabisfaq-10-08-21.pdf

Apparently, in my state, it's illegal to discriminate against people who use cannabis legally on their off-hours. I purchased my cannabis through NY's only legal dispensary. I actually still have the boxes and the receipt. I never tried it before that. I haven't taken it since 4/4/23 and it's 6/12/23 so it probably won't matter. But this does make me feel better. And the offer is from a company that is not federal government and just sells and maintenance parts to private clients. So, that takes some edge off.

Just in case, submit the receipt as a form of ID for your I9

also, lol @ drug tests in TYOOL 2023

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Just in case, submit the receipt as a form of ID for your I9

also, lol @ drug tests in TYOOL 2023

What receipts?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

wash bucket posted:

Some job sites will tell you how many people have applied to a given position and it's really, really discouraging sometimes. Kinda wish I could turn that off.

That can be bad; it makes me feel like it's gatcha game trying to get me to return every day. LinkedIn is doing something worse, though. You go to a listing and you see "4 hours ago" but the hyperlink is marked in "Visted" purple or whatever. You click on it and it says "Submitted Resume 11/9/1979" or whatever. So why the gently caress is it back in my feed saying 4 hours ago?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Covok posted:

What receipts?
The receipt for your legal drugs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Magnetic North posted:

That can be bad; it makes me feel like it's gatcha game trying to get me to return every day. LinkedIn is doing something worse, though. You go to a listing and you see "4 hours ago" but the hyperlink is marked in "Visted" purple or whatever. You click on it and it says "Submitted Resume 11/9/1979" or whatever. So why the gently caress is it back in my feed saying 4 hours ago?

Editing the content inside pushes it to the top of the feed, even if its been submitted before.

This may seem scammy, but it kinda isn't because you only do this if you are dry on candidates. Getting it to the top gets you more eyeballs but it also gets you WAYYY more auto-applications and no-hope candidates. So you really only do that if you're essentially at 0 viable candidates again.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
What do you put for the salary question when the application form has a drop down menu instead of a text box? I've been selecting the lowest.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Covok posted:

The exception here is whether or not your company contracts with the federal government. If they don't, then you're almost certainly good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I got an unexpected early morning wake up. Not really sure what to do.

My recruiter called me to let me know I had a really promising interview request for Thursday. But that's the cutoff day for my offer. He said it pays a lot more and might be a better company. He did warn me my current offer company has decent turnover. Earlier, he said he just saw they had positions available a lot, but I got the vibe that it was because they were building their workforce back up since the COVID layoffs from my interview. They supply aviation parts so they got hit. Now, he said he hear from a colleague they have high turnover because people get overwormed and quit. Put some doubt in my mind, especially since I was up all night worrying about the drug test.

I also got a call for a job interview and an email for another.

I'm not really sure what to do. I have a conditional offer. It didn't seem so bad, but now doubt is creeping in and making me wonder. What is the proper thing to do here?

Covok fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 13, 2023

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If it were me, I'd ask the offering company to extend the window. Their flexibility, or lack of it, will tell you a great deal about how stressful the work environment would be.
On the other hand, what's your level of desperation? How long have you been looking for work? How bad will things be if it takes you another two months?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Covok posted:

I got an unexpected early morning wake up. Not really sure what to do.

My recruiter called me to let me know I had a really promising interview request for Thursday. But that's the cutoff day for my offer. He said it pays a lot more and might be a better company. He did warn me my current offer company has decent turnover. Earlier, he said he just saw they had positions available a lot, but I got the vibe that it was because they were building their workforce back up since the COVID layoffs from my interview. They supply aviation parts so they got hit. Now, he said he hear from a colleague they have high turnover because people get overwormed and quit. Put some doubt in my mind, especially since I was up all night worrying about the drug test.

I also got a call for a job interview and an email for another.

I'm not really sure what to do. I have a conditional offer. It didn't seem so bad, but now doubt is creeping in and making me wonder. What is the proper thing to do here?

Earlier this year I ended up with 4 offers at roughly the same time and places were pulling a lot of weird stuff to try and avoid competing. Two places gave me aggressive time limits on the offer, and another really stalled out on giving me an offer. One of the time limited offer places had no problem with me pushing back the date. The other didn't have leeway. It shouldn't hurt to ask, and depending on the vibe you get from the place you can either do the "I'm still evaluating my options, and I'll need another week to think about your offer" or "I need some more time to think about this, it's a big change and I have these concerns X, Y, and Z to think through before deciding." Then, let the place you're interviewing Thursday know you'll need an offer asap. The place without leeway gave me a soft "No, we have to make a decision on our end asap because we have other candidates up for the role so you have to decide soon."

The part that's lame about the whole thing is even accepting the offer you're waiting weeks for a background check and other bullshit to actually start working, so there is absolutely wiggle room on the timing. Before you commit you should check on some of that timing, how long it will take for them to do the pre-hire stuff on their end, and when your start date would be.

Overwormed is an amazing typo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

cum jabbar posted:

If it were me, I'd ask the offering company to extend the window. Their flexibility, or lack of it, will tell you a great deal about how stressful the work environment would be.
On the other hand, what's your level of desperation? How long have you been looking for work? How bad will things be if it takes you another two months?

The offer letter says they need a reply by 6/15 and they want me placed no later than 7/3 with an expected start date of 6/26. So, I'd have to consider carefully any extension. It's an international company, not a small company, so it's hard to say.

For desperation? Low. I can wait a few more months. I always had that option. Do I want to risk what seems fine for something I know nothing about? It's not like I can find out much at this company he's suggesting, at least not yet. It also only technically seems to be looking for 5k more than this offer but he feels he can get it for much more than that.

And then we have to mix in the drug test blues into all of it.

Chainclaw posted:

Earlier this year I ended up with 4 offers at roughly the same time and places were pulling a lot of weird stuff to try and avoid competing. Two places gave me aggressive time limits on the offer, and another really stalled out on giving me an offer. One of the time limited offer places had no problem with me pushing back the date. The other didn't have leeway. It shouldn't hurt to ask, and depending on the vibe you get from the place you can either do the "I'm still evaluating my options, and I'll need another week to think about your offer" or "I need some more time to think about this, it's a big change and I have these concerns X, Y, and Z to think through before deciding." Then, let the place you're interviewing Thursday know you'll need an offer asap. The place without leeway gave me a soft "No, we have to make a decision on our end asap because we have other candidates up for the role so you have to decide soon."

The part that's lame about the whole thing is even accepting the offer you're waiting weeks for a background check and other bullshit to actually start working, so there is absolutely wiggle room on the timing. Before you commit you should check on some of that timing, how long it will take for them to do the pre-hire stuff on their end, and when your start date would be.

Overwormed is an amazing typo.

That's the thing. I already asked for extra time and got 3 days. That's pretty reasonable and standard. I would essentially be asking for another extension.

And, yeah, it's a great typo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you didn't already name a number and they agreed to meet it, you can always say "I can sign today for $BIG_BUCKS, otherwise I will need more time to consider my options." Make sure it's enough money that you would actually feel good about passing on the other opportunity.

If they respond by pulling the offer, congratulations, you avoided the land mine!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tbh, I think at this point I'm going to take the offer I have. 1) because I just found out the company my recruiter wants me to interview with has google review from people complaing about them paying invoices late and that was some annoying stuff at my old job and 2) it's silly to risk an offer that I have that could be good for a completely potential offer that I haven't even done one round of interview for.

I do have the drug test blues to consider and if I lose the offer then I'll be back to square one but it's probably best not to consider that anyway. I haven't had weed since early April. And they may not even be able to legally check for THC anyway nor can they legally discriminate. They do just maintenance airplane parts.

The overwork and turnover comments are alarming. That does have me pausing.

I'll have to ponder all of it. But I'm leaning to just taking what I know I have because the other option doesn't sound as great now that I found some more info on this company he wants me to interview for

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah and I vacillated on mentioning it above and decided not to, but--you haven't even started the interview process on the other opportunity yet, so it would be an unreasonable length of time to ask for an extension on. You pretty much have to work out and accept an offer, or decline it, first.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah and I vacillated on mentioning it above and decided not to, but--you haven't even started the interview process on the other opportunity yet, so it would be an unreasonable length of time to ask for an extension on. You pretty much have to work out and accept an offer, or decline it, first.

Yeah, I'm going to take the offer. I'm finding a lot of complaints made about this company my recruiter is pushing that sounds like the same bs as what my old company did. Construction industry jobs play games that I don't want to be a part of.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Another thing I've refrained from posting so far but will now is... you seem to put a lot of trust in this recruiter.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Looking for some recommendations, I'm a bit out of my element here.

Considering my career trajectory, and looking to step out of a software dev role so I don't to insane. The plan is for me to focus on side-business(hobby 3d printing) stuff, while my wife takes a role in some hiring/training/etc position.

She's been stay at home for a couple years, but prior to that was managing a YMCA aquatics department so has a ton of experience managing/training staff, de-escalting customer issues, budgeting etc. While she was taking a break, shes been helping run the side business, doing shipping/receiving and fielding customer issues as well.

Are there any certs she should be aiming for, positions that make sense for her to be looking at here etc? Were trying to avoid her taking a 2-4 year course, and frankly it seems like a lot of the skills she built up are pretty high in demand. Talking with her, a training coordinator position seems to nestle pretty closely with her skills/interests, but I'm not corpo-pileld enough to know if I should be looking into some terms specifically...

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Covok posted:

I do have the drug test blues to consider...

You said you haven't had any weed since 4/4. That's over two months. You're gonna be fine. The last time I had to take one, I had been a daily user for years and was clean after 2 weeks* without using anything to assist.

*I wouldn't recommend cutting it that close- that situation was a surprise for me. If I had known it was coming I'd have stopped earlier.

m0therfux0r fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 13, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Another thing I've refrained from posting so far but will now is... you seem to put a lot of trust in this recruiter.

A recruiter asking you not to take a job they placed you in is weird. Usually they want that check and move on. So maybe this guy really is looking out? Or maybe this other company is offering a fatter commission so he decided it was worth two in the bush over one in the hand.

But I would agree, since you haven't even started the interview I wouldn't try to extend. Either pursue the offer you have or don't, but thats probably too long to extend it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lockback posted:

A recruiter asking you not to take a job they placed you in is weird. Usually they want that check and move on. So maybe this guy really is looking out? Or maybe this other company is offering a fatter commission so he decided it was worth two in the bush over one in the hand.

But I would agree, since you haven't even started the interview I wouldn't try to extend. Either pursue the offer you have or don't, but thats probably too long to extend it.

Oh, he didn't place this job. I found it on my own.

m0therfux0r posted:

You said you haven't had any weed since 4/4. That's over two months. You're gonna be fine. The last time I had to take one, I had been a daily user for years and was clean after 2 weeks* without using anything to assist.

*I wouldn't recommend cutting it that close- that situation was a surprise for me. If I had known it was coming I'd have stopped earlier.

I have become an expert in this over the last sleepless night. Urine tests are clean after 30 days max. Hair follicue tests are technically indefinite. The standard is 1.5 inches of hair and that tests up to 90 days back. If your hair is longer, they can therotically go back infinitely based on hair length.

Lucky me, I'm bald and I plan to razor down my body hair just incase. No idea what type of test it is yet.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Covok posted:

Oh, he didn't place this job. I found it on my own.
Oh, lol. Why were you talking to him about that job then anyway?

Covok posted:

I have become an expert in this over the last sleepless night. Urine tests are clean after 30 days max. Hair follicue tests are technically indefinite. The standard is 1.5 inches of hair and that tests up to 90 days back. If your hair is longer, they can therotically go back infinitely based on hair length.

Lucky me, I'm bald and I plan to razor down my body hair just incase. No idea what type of test it is yet.

It'll be a piss test, they aren't taking hair. You're overthinking this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lockback posted:

Oh, lol. Why were you talking to him about that job then anyway?

It'll be a piss test, they aren't taking hair. You're overthinking this.

Because he called today with a new offer and I said I took one and he asked where so I saw no harm in saying since we spoke about it once before.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Covok posted:

Because he called today with a new offer and I said I took one and he asked where so I saw no harm in saying since we spoke about it once before.

Oh yeah don't take his advice. He has $10,000+ reasons to try to talk you out of that job.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I think that's standard practice, always go to the drug testing site like a fully shaved Danny Devito crawling on the floor on Always Sunny.

edit: Can't raise any eyebrows if you don't got any.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

If you're worried about the drug test you can buy the test sticks from most pharmacies. The cutoff you're usually looking for is 50ng/ml. At 2 months I'd be pretty confident.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is it a confirmed drug test? It could be boilerplate language that they only enforce for stuff like forklift operators ro truck drivers.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I got a phone interview coming up but I'm worried the employers will refuse me when I tell them I have to WFH due to disability reasons. It said it was an in-person job and they had WFH days.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

Is it a confirmed drug test? It could be boilerplate language that they only enforce for stuff like forklift operators ro truck drivers.

I'd love if that was like left in there and my new hire shows up shaved clean head to toe as a result.

Violet_Sky posted:

I got a phone interview coming up but I'm worried the employers will refuse me when I tell them I have to WFH due to disability reasons. It said it was an in-person job and they had WFH days.

Probably. You don't have to disclose it until you're hired but depending on the job it may not be recognized as an undue hardship or not, it's going to depend on a lot of things that internet people won't be able to tell you. It's up to you on what you want to disclose and when though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

Yeah, it's confirmed Urine NonDOT. So, I haven't done weed in over 60 days. I should be fine.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Anyone have a resource for crafting an engineering technical presentation?

I can do the talking and I know how to write, but am looking for more of an idea of how the presentation is supposed to be structured.

Eg, is it just problem, analysis, design, solution, retro? Or is there some “good way” of structuring this?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
If it's just an overview, one slide of an A3. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A3_problem_solving
If it's something fairly light, one slide on Complaint, Cause, Correction, and optionally Confirm.
If it's in depth, follow 8D or something like it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_disciplines_problem_solving

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

A while back I posted about caving and signing up for LinkedIn to which someone replied "Yeah go for it that can only help." Well they were right. It did help but in an unexpected way.

My biggest question mark this whole time was whether or not my resume was getting screened out by ATS and should I tweak it some more or focus on something else. Well LinkedIn solved that mystery for me because it tells you when someone looks at your profile. I started submitting my LinkedIn profile with my resume on job applications and now I'm getting notifications that people from the companies I'm applying to are looking at my profile which tells me my applications are (probably) getting through to humans.

So yeah, I'd recommend a LinkedIn account just so you can see when companies are actively reviewing your application instead of auto-screening it out. That was probably obvious to a lot of you but maybe that info will be helpful to someone else.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Right, thread OP says it's probably not worth it to use a resume writing service but I am stuck on polishing it up and have been for long enough that I figure it's worth it to shell out money to get past that hump.

That said, I'm a bit overwhelmed by options when I search for a service. Can anyone point me in a helpful direction? Ideally I'd like something that includes some back-and-forth discussion and work, maybe in real time.

If context helps I'm in the US, a former high school science teacher for 7 years who is running away from the education sector like my rear end is on fire. I'm probably going to try temping for a while to get money coming in while looking for a good fit permanent thing - pretty typical.

Thanks. I've not really ever had to do a real job search before due to luck and circumstances and it's pretty overwhelming.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

For career switchers, it's really important to nail down your narrative of why you are switching and how it makes sense to the listener that you are switching. It should be explainable in two sentences.

I've seen a lot of people with backgrounds in school education do well moving into corporate training type roles. What are you targeting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Right, thread OP says it's probably not worth it to use a resume writing service but I am stuck on polishing it up and have been for long enough that I figure it's worth it to shell out money to get past that hump.

That said, I'm a bit overwhelmed by options when I search for a service. Can anyone point me in a helpful direction? Ideally I'd like something that includes some back-and-forth discussion and work, maybe in real time.

If context helps I'm in the US, a former high school science teacher for 7 years who is running away from the education sector like my rear end is on fire. I'm probably going to try temping for a while to get money coming in while looking for a good fit permanent thing - pretty typical.

Thanks. I've not really ever had to do a real job search before due to luck and circumstances and it's pretty overwhelming.

There's someone offering that very service on SA Mart. I think he's been away on vacation for a couple of weeks so he might be catching up. But the way it works is you reach out for an appointment, then you send him what you have, he reviews it with you via Google Chat, then he goes off and writes you a new draft based on what you discussed during the chat.