Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is there any good Twitter people who will be in the courtroom posting about today's indictment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Lawfare has a new episode up where Ben Wittes et Al read through and discuss the entire indictment. It’s almost 2 hours long but might be interesting background noise to put on during work today.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Randalor posted:

Is there any good Twitter people who will be in the courtroom posting about today's indictment?

Apparently there were no phones in the courthouse so we may not get live tweets but Anna Bower of lawfare has been good about taking notes and writing regular summaries whenever she's been in a courthouse covering stuff.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

V-Men posted:

Apparently there were no phones in the courthouse so we may not get live tweets but Anna Bower of lawfare has been good about taking notes and writing regular summaries whenever she's been in a courthouse covering stuff.

So we have to wait for the end of the day to hear about Trump getting more and more irritable through the indictment as he keeps trying to talk over the magistrate, the magistrate getting angrier and angrier, and finally culminating in the magistrate ordering him gagged, Trump trying to storm out and taking a swing at the guards, and finally being detained and thrown in jail overnight?

Yes that's just fanfiction, but come on, just try to tell me you wouldn't want to see him spend even one night for acting like a petulant little poo poo for once.

I'll also take "Trump sat quietly and patiently through the whole thing and peacefully left the courtroom without making a massive court circus of the whole ordeal. Which is also fanfiction at this point.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Randalor posted:

So we have to wait for the end of the day to hear about Trump getting more and more irritable through the indictment as he keeps trying to talk over the magistrate, the magistrate getting angrier and angrier, and finally culminating in the magistrate ordering him gagged, Trump trying to storm out and taking a swing at the guards, and finally being detained and thrown in jail overnight?

Yes that's just fanfiction, but come on, just try to tell me you wouldn't want to see him spend even one night for acting like a petulant little poo poo for once.

I'll also take "Trump sat quietly and patiently through the whole thing and peacefully left the courtroom without making a massive court circus of the whole ordeal. Which is also fanfiction at this point.

I can maybe see it happening. Depends where he is on his narcissistic rage cycle. If he blew up real good at his lawyers when he fired them he may be able to bottle up his anger enough to get through it silently.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Randalor posted:

This gave me a mental image of “TRUMP SMASH” and I will admit to having a sensible chuckle.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
He sat through the Carroll arraignment quietly, though apparently started getting fidgety and "visibly annoyed" by the end. The dude probably can't sit for more than an hour in one place.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I hope they have a good security cordon around the courthouse given the like multiple specific threats posted in here of Jan 6ing it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Arraignment hearings are generally pretty fast and boring. Trump will just sit there and listen to them read the charges, he will plead "not guilty," and then they will do some scheduling/bond paperwork.

You're not really missing anything by not being able to see Trump sitting in a chair for 40 minutes.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
If Trump needs someone with a law degree who has held or holds a high level clearance and has experience getting out of charges of espionage/mishandling classified information, Hillary Clinton hits that trifecta.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

V-Men posted:

If Trump needs someone with a law degree who has held or holds a high level clearance and has experience getting out of charges of espionage/mishandling classified information, Hillary Clinton hits that trifecta.
I think he needs a Florida local lawyer.

How long does it take to pass the Florida bar thing?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
According to the latest Legal Eagle video, it sounds like it's super common for a non-local attorney to work with a local attorney where the non-local guy would do all the work and the local guy would stamp his name on it and present the case. If that's true then I'm sure he would have no issues finding a local grifter to argue the case his "real" lawyers come up with?

e: Not his latest video, the one before it about the ChatGPT lawyers.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 13, 2023

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Likely unanswerable, but what's the point of banning cellular phones in the courtroom? Surely the lawyers are all using laptops these days, which would have a wireless connection anyway? Or are courts set up with wireless having no external access (again, what would be the point of that in 2023)?

I thought of this because I know Gregg shorthand and was musing over the difficulty of getting direct quotes in these situations, especially when the defendant rambles unintelligibly.

(Imagine any live recording, T looking like a little child who just got spanked. It would quickly peel off that false idol worship they have going on, makeup removed, etc.)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I think it’s more common than not that all electronic devices are banned.

https://www.flsd.uscourts.gov/prohibited-electronic-devices

The second pdf:

quote:

All electronic devices including but not limited to Cellular Phones, Pagers, Personal Data Assistants (PDA), Laptop Computers, Tape Recorders, etc., are prohibited from being brought into any federal courthouse facility within the Southern District of Florida with the following exceptions:

As for why are these banned in 2023? Boomers gonna boomer.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 13, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Likely unanswerable, but what's the point of banning cellular phones in the courtroom? Surely the lawyers are all using laptops these days, which would have a wireless connection anyway? Or are courts set up with wireless having no external access (again, what would be the point of that in 2023)?

I thought of this because I know Gregg shorthand and was musing over the difficulty of getting direct quotes in these situations, especially when the defendant rambles unintelligibly.

(Imagine any live recording, T looking like a little child who just got spanked. It would quickly peel off that false idol worship they have going on, makeup removed, etc.)

Recording of court events is generally banned for anyone outside of the Electronic Court Reporter. That is the primary reason.

There are also other minor issues like security concerns because someone could hide a blade or explosive in a phone and people forgetting to turn off their phones could disrupt court events.

Several of the state courthouses in my area are running pilot programs where they are allowing anyone to bring in their phones, so it is changing in some places. I imagine that federal courts will be the last place to change, if they ever do. They lean overwhelmingly on the side of safety and reducing distractions and have banned any kind of recording device in federal courtrooms since the 70's.

gregday
May 23, 2003

It’s a lot easier to surreptitiously capture photos/video with a phone than a laptop.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Arraignment hearings are generally pretty fast and boring. Trump will just sit there and listen to them read the charges, he will plead "not guilty," and then they will do some scheduling/bond paperwork.

You're not really missing anything by not being able to see Trump sitting in a chair for 40 minutes.

What happens if Trump decides to Trump and instead of just saying "Not guilty" instead either says something along the lines of "Not guilty, but all those documents were mine anyways" or "Of course I took them, they were all declassified"? Does the case still move forward or does it go immediately to sentencing because he just confessed to the crime while in court?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Randalor posted:

What happens if Trump decides to Trump and instead of just saying "Not guilty" instead either says something along the lines of "Not guilty, but all those documents were mine anyways" or "Of course I took them, they were all declassified"? Does the case still move forward or does it go immediately to sentencing because he just confessed to the crime while in court?

The case moves forward

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Randalor posted:

He would probably get yelled at by the judge and maybe held in contempt of court if he kept doing it over and over. I doubt he will be doing that, though.

The case would still move forward even if he confessed to everything, but the prosecution could use anything he said in the trial.

It would be very funny if that did happen, but Trump is most likely not going to say anything except "not guilty" and whisper to his attorneys for the entire proceeding. There is very little that the defendant needs to say at an arraignment hearing.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Randalor posted:

At the arraignment, the only thing that matters is the plea. If he says nothing or dissembles, a not guilty plea will be entered by default and the case will proceed to trial.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Randalor posted:

Fortunately we had an excellent PSA made to answer this very question back in the 1990's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnVP4cr9X0U

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think it’s more common than not that all electronic devices are banned.

https://www.flsd.uscourts.gov/prohibited-electronic-devices

The second pdf:

As for why are these banned in 2023? Boomers gonna boomer.

There are legitimate reasons for banning them. The best one is to do with the fact that anyone can have a recording device, not members of the media who are (notionally) trained in what can and can't be reported.

There was a major murder trial here that almost collapsed because a member of the public (who was a Dutch citizen who claimed he was an "online journalist", I believe he was just a blogger) was Live Tweeting sensitive legal arguments being made in the absence of the jury.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1668620475143188482

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Oof, hope he got cash for it with a disclaimer like that on the bottom. Only smart lawyer I've seen around Trump is that guy that got $3 million up front then got sidelined for giving actual advice instead of kissing rear end and doing more crimes.

gregday
May 23, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Oof, hope he got cash for it with a disclaimer like that on the bottom. Only smart lawyer I've seen around Trump is that guy that got $3 million up front then got sidelined for giving actual advice instead of kissing rear end and doing more crimes.

That was this same guy (Kise).

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Trump gets executed today?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I take no pleasure in this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ben shapino posted:

Trump gets executed today?

Technically, the indictment from the federal grand jury is officially being executed against Trump today.

So, yes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Executing trumpcrimes.exe

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is one of those self-expanding archives which spews files everywhere and leaves a mess.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Buffer overflow

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Silly Burrito posted:

This is one of those self-expanding archives which spews files everywhere and leaves a mess.

A Zip.Bomb of pure crimes that crashes the democracy OS

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.
So is there gonna be a TV IV thread for the arrest and arraignment (as much as can be expected before Trump enters the courthouse)?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Randalor posted:

Legal Eagle has a pretty decent recap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KRceywz-rU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

cr0y posted:

Buffett overflow

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

marshmonkey posted:

I take no pleasure in this.

Did Louise Mensch (sp?) ever address this whole thing after the fact?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
https://twitter.com/markmobility/status/1668641171097239553

I don't think January 6th II is going to happen if Trump's only mustering up this little of a presence.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Maybe Jan 6 was all of them.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It's basically impossible for chuds to do those sort of massive "everyone shows up" like Unite the Right/Jan 6th nowadays because any attempt at organizing anything like that online is immediately proclaimed a false flag antifa fed plot, the best they can do is the stuff where a more organized group like the Proud Boys shows up with a couple dozen people plus a few rando freaks.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
Who would have guessed that being incredibly paranoid and hateful would have an impact on their ability to organize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the January 6th indictments actually had an affect on some of the smarter Trumpers who don't want to get caught up in another coup attempt.