Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

You can apparently do that if you're Orthodox too. I had a coworker who took off January 6th for Christmas.

Just checking, was it only in 2021?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's always 6 and 7 January, because for some weird reason orthodox holidays don't acknowledge a calendar named for a roman pope

are we doing a long gag that I'm missing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Christmas doesn’t drift around year to year like Easter. It’s a fixed date of 25 December. It’s just a matter of which calendar you are using.

The Gregorian calendar has been thirteen days ahead of the Julian since 1901, and it will continue to be so through the beginning of 2100.

December 25 plus thirteen days takes you to January 7.

So why celebrate January sixth? It’s Christmas Eve on the Julian Calendar. Do you not want Christmas Eve off from work?

It also happens to be the holiday “Twelfth Night”, literally twelve days after Christmas, for the RCC and some Protestants.

The Armenian Apostolic Church separately likes January sixth for reasons that are beyond me, by which I mean that English-language sources are contradictory on the matter.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oh is your mother here?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's always 6 and 7 January, because for some weird reason orthodox holidays don't acknowledge a calendar named for a roman pope

It's called "a joke" and it's been known to show up on these forums from time to time

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Platystemon posted:

So why celebrate January sixth? It’s Christmas Eve on the Julian Calendar. Do you not want Christmas Eve off from work?

After uni I did a stint at Amazon during their prep for Christmas and I worked 16:00-24:00 6 days a week. The way your were paid is you had to have clocked in before the clock strikes 16:00:00 and if you clock out at 23:59:59 you don't get paid for that 8th hour.

The reason I bring this up is that generally companies in the UK pay double if you work on one of our two religious holidays - Easter and Christmas. So we were told in no uncertain terms do not come in on Christmas Eve if you worked my shift, because that single second after midnight would trigger that pay rise.

They just relied on their normal workers for that day instead and us temp workers could eat poo poo.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/stkirsch/status/1668339944144904193

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://twitter.com/stkirsch/status/1634189428150390785

I’m sure that he’s good for the money. :kiddo:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ohhh it's that dweeb.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Platystemon posted:

Christmas doesn’t drift around year to year like Easter. It’s a fixed date of 25 December. It’s just a matter of which calendar you are using.

The Gregorian calendar has been thirteen days ahead of the Julian since 1901, and it will continue to be so through the beginning of 2100.

December 25 plus thirteen days takes you to January 7.

It also happens to be the holiday “Twelfth Night”, literally twelve days after Christmas, for the RCC and some Protestants.

The Armenian Apostolic Church separately likes January sixth for reasons that are beyond me, by which I mean that English-language sources are contradictory on the matter.

It is also Epiphany, and it's a day off in some countries (like Poland).

As for the Christmas Eve thing - a lot of folks from eastern europe celebrate Christmas Eve more so than the actual Christmas day!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That explains religion as much as anything.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

goblin week posted:

It is also Epiphany, and it's a day off in some countries (like Poland).

As for the Christmas Eve thing - a lot of folks from eastern europe celebrate Christmas Eve more so than the actual Christmas day!

MY WIFE is from one of those places and when she moved to America and had (our) kids she switched to the right and godly way of celebrating on the day itself because it seemed sort of mean to open all the gifts and then make the kids go to bed

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Scratch Monkey posted:

MY WIFE is from one of those places and when she moved to America and had (our) kids she switched to the right and godly way of celebrating on the day itself because it seemed sort of mean to open all the gifts and then make the kids go to bed

the real hardship is distracting kids for long enough to lure them away from the christmas tree when they KNOW Santa's coming. Sorry lil bro

MY WIFE and I just celebrate both days. :3:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Opening the presents on christmas eve is a common German thing. The British royal family apparently does it, of course.

It can be more logistically sensible depending, especially if you don't want the kids bouncing out of bed screaming first thing in the morning.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Opening the presents on christmas eve is a common German thing. The British royal family apparently does it, of course.

It can be more logistically sensible depending, especially if you don't want the kids bouncing out of bed screaming first thing in the morning.

We do it in Norway too! We would have christmas dinner at like, 4 or 5 pm, then everyone would open presents and eat cakes and stuff. Christmas day everyone usually gathers for "christmas morning" breakfast.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Air Skwirl posted:

This is annoying because I didn't even know there was a cute huskie photo account and the way I make twitter work for me is subscribing to enough cute animal photo accounts that when it gets bad on twitter, there's still a photo of a cute animal in between all of the horrible. Like, yeah somehow there's 30 post with opinions on who Taylor Swift is dating, but in between every third one is a possum or a lizard or a cat.

You can fix that problem by not following people who post horrible things or post about who T-Swift is dating.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It seems it was Martin Luther's way to stop people worshiping St Nick because the "Christ Child" brings the presents a day earlier than that bloody false idol.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

How can you tell what is and is not parody anymore?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

credburn posted:

Who are Kyle and Bryce?

Just the most generic white dude names I could think of. Here’s another one:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1668231868964286464?t=jhpfJZe2WdsJxGllGovzVg&s=19

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

kazil posted:

It's called "a joke" and it's been known to show up on these forums from time to time

Jokes are for fools and small children

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Don't do the Fable games have a character creator, anyway?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is the joke that they modeled her on his face?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

lol at ant man calling literally anyone unattractive

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Put a mirror in front of that motherfucker and he'll turn to stone, goddamn

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
https://twitter.com/udiWertheimer/status/1668276981375352832

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I think the series is more about your character's look gradually changing based on choices, alignment and the passage of time. Moreso than a having an extensive character creator. But I doubt they lock you to single specific character. I wouldn't really know, I'm pretty sure the game('s marketing) is in an early state and the developers have not talked about much yet. Not like an actual antfucker who wants to create outrage would need such details to begin with.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ian Miles Cheong has publicly complained about the way people/characters look and in turn been dunked on for the way he looks so many times that I have to assume he has a humiliation fetish.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

His face looks like he’s constantly realizing how bad he smells.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lumbermouth posted:

His face looks like he’s constantly realizing how bad he smells.

There is absolutely a German term for this

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

teen witch posted:

There is absolutely a German term for this

keinfarfrompoopin. :v:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Miasma-Erlebnis.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

LegionAreI posted:

https://reddark.untone.uk/

The amount of subs participating is actually pretty impressive. Wish they'd all go indefinite too.

There's talk amongst some of the mods of going until Spez gives in, though there's some debate as to a) if he ever will and b) if he'd just replace mods with his shills.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

No, actually. But you can become more evil which gives you horns and more corrupted which gives you an aura of buzzing flies and give urself a mustache.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

goblin week posted:

No, actually. But you can become more evil which gives you horns and more corrupted which gives you an aura of buzzing flies and give urself a mustache.

are we talking about Fable or IMC?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dameius posted:

keinfarfrompoopin. :v:

neinfarfrompoopin, surely.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

kazil posted:

are we talking about Fable or IMC?

Yes.

Dameius