Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I bought the Transmet 'Absolute' books I & II as a gift, intending to get the full set before giving them - turns out the final Absolute Book III got a drastically reduced print run, is rocking-horse-poo poo-and-hens-teeth rare and commands frankly ridiculous asking prices even pre-owned. I hope they do a reprint someday.

Holy poo poo, my copy of Boy's Club is selling for 500 bucks

It was a trip seeing what happened to Pepe a couple years after

E: maybe there should be a PYF graphic novel thread. I'm too scatter-brained to do more than make an OP with some 10-year old comics which I'll promptly forget about but if no-one else wants to step up I can do it.

Fruits of the sea has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Jun 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I could not get into Sandman, at all. But I lucked out because the shop owner knew I was an English major and oh hey, this League of Extraordinary Gentlemen just started. This was a few years after dropping X-Men books because I just wanted to read a self-contained ongoing and not a dozen other issues from eight other ongoings.

And that’s where it feels like whoever is responsible for marketing comics lost the plot. Multiple stories in the last page of people choosing not to engage with the medium at all because of gatekeeper assholes, or a company failing to make events accessible, or dragging their feet on publishing graphic novels with an obvious reading order. Then they whine about comics are dying and people only want MCU stories!

Oh, and I’m surprised no one linked it yet, but regarding the Marvel editor who pretended to be Japanese:

No, Marvel, Promoting a White Guy Who Faked a Japanese Identity Is Not Normal

Daredevil showrunner Steven DeKnight quit when he found out citing ethnical concerns

From the first story, “Marvel execs at the time [said] they saw Yoshida as a rare find: "someone from non-English speaking country who could write well for an American audience."

This was 2006, the year Crunchyroll debuted. Multiple anime aired on Toonami and Adult Swim. Naruto dominated the NYT top manga sales with now-classics like Fruits Basket and Death Note.

Cebeluski is still EIC

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah I did a full read of XMen comics from the 60s to the 90s several years ago. Had to give up when I got to the 90s because I was reading like 7 books per month and trying to keep track of all the insane interweaving stories was too much and I got bored and just stopped.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
One of the things that still blows me away when hearing about the Clone Saga and similar stuff like X-Men to a degree, is the revelation that a lot of those ongoing stories were happening across like 3-4 different "separate" books. Which just sounds like complete insanity.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

considering the books are monthly its not really that insane lol

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In the context of someone trying to get into and wrap their head around comics, I'd say needing to keep track of four different books* instead of simply reading issues #135 - #190 of a single book is in fact kind of dumb?

*Actually more than 4 because it wouldn't be comics without a hundred additional crossovers, miniseries, annuals, recaps, promotional one-offs, whatever the gently caress else. Granted, Clone Saga was a particularly notable and extreme case.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

skill issue

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

In the context of someone trying to get into and wrap their head around comics, I'd say needing to keep track of four different books* instead of simply reading issues #135 - #190 of a single book is in fact kind of dumb?

*Actually more than 4 because it wouldn't be comics without a hundred additional crossovers, miniseries, annuals, recaps, promotional one-offs, whatever the gently caress else. Granted, Clone Saga was a particularly notable and extreme case.

The only people who want that are editors. Readers hate it because it's annoying. Writers and artists hate it because it tends to make scheduling a nightmare. Editors love it because they are dipshits. It's only those series being collected in trades that makes crossover stuff bearable.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

Oh yeah even reading ALL the X books, there would be something like Nightcrawler is bright red and can portal between dimensions all of a sudden and it would be like “read this month’s Fantastic Four!” gently caress off with that.

And on the timing thing someone mentioned I remember there being at least one death or something that happened in an Annual that came out 3 months AFTER the issue I was on.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

John Murdoch posted:

One of the things that still blows me away when hearing about the Clone Saga and similar stuff like X-Men to a degree, is the revelation that a lot of those ongoing stories were happening across like 3-4 different "separate" books. Which just sounds like complete insanity.

House of M is a good example

quote:

Title(s)
Black Panther (vol. 4) #7
Cable & Deadpool #15-18
Captain America (vol. 5) #10
Civil War: House of M #1–5
Decimation: House of M – The Day After #1
Excalibur (vol. 3) #11–14
Exiles (vol. 1) #69–71
Fantastic Four: House of M #1–3
House of M #1–8 Director's Cut #1
House of M Sketchbook
House of M: Avengers #1-5
House of M: Masters of Evil #1–4
Incredible Hulk (vol. 3) #83–86
Hulk: Broken Worlds #1
Iron Man: House of M #1–3
Mutopia X #1–5
New Thunderbolts #11
New X-Men (vol. 2) #16–19
The Pulse #10
The Pulse: House of M Special #1
Spider-Man: House of M #1–5
The Uncanny X-Men #462–465
Wolverine (vol. 3) #33–35
Secret of the House of M #1
What If? House of M #1

What If? Spider-Man House of M #1

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Thomamelas posted:

The only people who want that are editors. Readers hate it because it's annoying. Writers and artists hate it because it tends to make scheduling a nightmare. Editors love it because they are dipshits. It's only those series being collected in trades that makes crossover stuff bearable.

I mean they loved it because it made money. Like mutant Massacre the first X-men crossover that ran over multiple books made bank

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Grassy Knowles posted:

House of M is a good example

(one million books)

Yeah but you didn't have to read all of those. Any time a book says "See #otherbook" in the notes, you can just mentally append "if you really give a poo poo". To get the full House of M story, read House of M #1-8, and any of those other books that are in series you are already reading, or look interesting. So I read House of M, and the New X-Men issues that tied into it, and the Cable & Deadpool issues that tied into it, and none of the rest because I didn't give a poo poo about what Spider-Man or Captain America were doing in Wanda's fake reality. Well, I also picked up the Uncanny X-Men trade and then realized I hadn't been reading Uncanny X-Men, didn't really know who anyone was, and didn't care about what was happening.

Honestly the biggest barrier to getting people into comics is it LOOKS intimidating to jump in but it really isn't. Any time something important/relevant to a book you're reading happens in a book you're not reading, it's extremely rare that it's not adequately explained in the book you're reading. Big events almost always have a "core" title named after the event, and it's almost always the only stuff you need to read pertaining to the event unless you want more. Maybe this wasn't true in the 80s etc, I don't know. I haven't read very much pre-2000 Marvel because I don't have the time or inclination to do a deep dive into comics history. I just jumped on when I did, and kept going with whatever titles interested me.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Diet Poison posted:

Yeah but you didn't have to read all of those. Any time a book says "See #otherbook" in the notes, you can just mentally append "if you really give a poo poo". To get the full House of M story, read House of M #1-8, and any of those other books that are in series you are already reading, or look interesting. So I read House of M, and the New X-Men issues that tied into it, and the Cable & Deadpool issues that tied into it, and none of the rest because I didn't give a poo poo about what Spider-Man or Captain America were doing in Wanda's fake reality. Well, I also picked up the Uncanny X-Men trade and then realized I hadn't been reading Uncanny X-Men, didn't really know who anyone was, and didn't care about what was happening.

Honestly the biggest barrier to getting people into comics is it LOOKS intimidating to jump in but it really isn't. Any time something important/relevant to a book you're reading happens in a book you're not reading, it's extremely rare that it's not adequately explained in the book you're reading. Big events almost always have a "core" title named after the event, and it's almost always the only stuff you need to read pertaining to the event unless you want more. Maybe this wasn't true in the 80s etc, I don't know. I haven't read very much pre-2000 Marvel because I don't have the time or inclination to do a deep dive into comics history. I just jumped on when I did, and kept going with whatever titles interested me.

House of M took a giant dump on the New X-Men arc at the time and completely messed it up.

It led to a schoolbus full of characters from that run being blown up, since they got de-powered and I guess they didn't want people to think/ask about those characters anymore.

IShallRiseAgain has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Jun 13, 2023

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

IShallRiseAgain posted:

House of M took a giant dump on the New X-Men arc at the time and completely messed it up.

It led to a schoolbus full of characters from that run being blown up, since they got de-powered and I guess they didn't want people to think/ask about those characters anymore.

To be fair, the events of HoM didn't force that to happen. That's on the NXM writer taking the opportunity to trim down the cast in a fuckin' horrific way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I went through a bout of unemployment a long time ago and read everything from Secret War to the end of Dark Reign. Do not recommend ever doing that

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Ok, time to move on from comics, there's a whole forum for that.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
right but what thread would you even start with?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Captain Monkey posted:

right but what thread would you even start with?

Keyboard Goop is the best place to start since it describes comics in a nutshell.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Mcdonalds released a game boy game yesterday. Can we talk about that here or do we need that to go to a video game or fast food forum?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I got really into DC comics around the time they were just letting Grant Morrison go nuts with Batman and having Superman sing Darkseid to death, but then New 52 happened and I rapidly stopped giving a gently caress.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Grassy Knowles posted:

Mcdonalds released a game boy game yesterday. Can we talk about that here or do we need that to go to a video game or fast food forum?

I still own M.C. Kids for the NES so this isn't even the first time.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Plastik posted:

I still own M.C. Kids for the NES so this isn't even the first time.

that was in the days of poo poo like yo noid, this was recently developed and came out for game boy and game boy color yesterday https://archive.org/details/grimaces-birthday

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

that was in the days of poo poo like yo noid, this was recently developed and came out for game boy and game boy color yesterday https://archive.org/details/grimaces-birthday

To my understanding it was a commissioned game, and it runs on real hardware too. Obviously it's a big McD's advertisement, but it's still cool to see new games on old hardware.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

Stuff like this is why Newspaper Spider-Man was the best superhero comic, you could literally jump in at any time and have the exact same experience of it being comfortably dumb as poo poo at any given moment.

In one of the Spider-Verse/Multiverse story arches, one of the villains travels into Newspaper Spider-Mans dimension, and wonders why everything he says gets repeated in the next strip. He concludes that the dimension is too pure and innocent to be messed with, so he seals it off by itself forever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

evobatman posted:

In one of the Spider-Verse/Multiverse story arches, one of the villains travels into Newspaper Spider-Mans dimension, and wonders why everything he says gets repeated in the next strip. He concludes that the dimension is too pure and innocent to be messed with, so he seals it off by itself forever.
No his lackey does the pure and good bit, the big bad runs away because he's scared of the obviously unstable pocket universe he found himself in.

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

Splicer posted:

No his lackey does the pure and good bit, the big bad runs away because he's scared of the obviously unstable pocket universe he found himself in.

One of the best things the Spider-Verse movies did was get rid of the Inheritors. It is a little creepy how there is a family specialized in killing and eating alternate versions of you, but the fact they dress like vampire cosplayers makes them just embarrassing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MuscaDomestica posted:

One of the best things the Spider-Verse movies did was get rid of the Inheritors. It is a little creepy how there is a family specialized in killing and eating alternate versions of you, but the fact they dress like vampire cosplayers makes them just embarrassing.

That and Be Actually Good, Enjoyable Movies instead of rebooting spider man for the zillionth time (the various spider verse origin stories are the gimmick and do not count)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I hate to tell you this but the first movie is Miles origin story

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

And yet Uncle Ben doesn't die yet again so that Miles can learn that With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Volmarias posted:

And yet Uncle Ben doesn't die yet again so that Miles can learn that With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

uh dog i got some news about the whole Prowler subplot you might wanna sit down for lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Did you even watch the movies

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gaius Marius posted:

Did you even watch the movies

that hey cool robot meme only spiderman themed

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

:cripes:

Nevermind, I understand that it's similar, it was just actually different enough that I'm not just watching Toby McGuire #14.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

People actually want a Tobey Maguire #4 by Sam Raimi though

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The MSJ posted:

People actually want a Tobey Maguire #4 by Sam Raimi though

Those movies were good. Even the third one, which was kind of a mess but an entertaining mess. I'd watch another one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The less than stellar parts of 3 are almost entirely studio interference, they forced Raimi to put in venom despite him not growing up with or understanding the character. Even so the movie holds up extremely well, and dancing Peter is perhaps the greatest contribution to culture in the 21st century.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The third movie is one of the only movies I nearly fell asleep watching when I was a kid.

Outside the meme stuff the movie is incredibly boring

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best spiderman multiverse thing is the joke with the Cars version of spiderman, Peter Parked, who works for J Jonah Jalopy

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

evobatman posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't think I ever saw the actual comic before, that's perfect.