Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Cojawfee posted:

Apparently you legally can not leave that seat.

I was in front of the pilots, I was not allowed to move about the cabin. I was very happy with the arrangement. A+, would do that again. That picture was from Fifi, and I would like to take the same shot from Doc. Gotta save up for that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://gizmodo.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-new-version-release-date-1850528733

quote:

The next version of the flight simulator will introduce more complicated aerial missions, including fighting fires with a water bomber, performing delicate search and rescues with helicopters and air ambulance planes, crop dusting, and even performing heavy lift and construction tasks using a Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane.

hell yeah

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Spaced God posted:

Literally every device everyone here is thinking of is undone by "you have eight seconds to do something before you die and some people will feel so loving awesome in those eight seconds they want to do nothing"

Those 8 seconds were done on USAF pilots. So 22-25 yo fit and healthy dudes. If you’re 60, obese, asthmatic, etc. you might be out like a light in 1-2 seconds.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Those 8 seconds were done on USAF pilots. So 22-25 yo fit and healthy dudes. If you’re 60, obese, asthmatic, etc. you might be out like a light in 1-2 seconds.

Mmmm, really? I don't really think this is fitness related.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
seems like there are at least a few examples of pilots dealing with decompression successfully despite several minutes without o2, so it seems like there’s more going on than “you die after a couple seconds”

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It might be like HAPE and HACE where it doesn't matter how fit you are, it can affect or not affect anyone regardless of experience or physical fitness.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Have you seen my hat?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bull3964 posted:

All this poo poo is some designers way of getting their name up on a bunch of news articles.

I can't see how something like this would pass either evacuation standards or crash standards (yay for the upper row chopping the lower row in half for a crash.)

They're never serious concepts.

High school student designers.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the milk machine posted:

seems like there are at least a few examples of pilots dealing with decompression successfully despite several minutes without o2, so it seems like there’s more going on than “you die after a couple seconds”

you lose consciousness, not die. dying takes around 5 to 10 minutes of no bloodflow to the brain at normal body temp

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Oh good, SimCopter is finally getting a remake

moparacker
May 8, 2007

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Oh good, SimCopter is finally getting a remake

Think they'll re-add the Friday the 13th Easter Egg?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That settles it, time to rewatch Airplane again.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

the milk machine posted:

Can you give some examples of what you mean?

As people have mentioned in this thread, O2 loss is very different from too much CO2 in the blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-bdJF6TUFs

This story is amazing; at one point the Soviets dispatched interceptors to shoot the bomber down, and they failed to intercept because in the mirror flight plan the Tu-22 was flying, it was time to engage the ECM.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can you give some examples of what you mean?

As people have mentioned in this thread, O2 loss is very different from too much CO2 in the blood.

yes, when you lose cabin pressure you lose o2. there was a video posted earlier of a pilot talking with ATC that was able to recover and land, and there are several examples of flights where the pilots spent several minutes or more without supplemental o2 and not only did they not pass out, they landed the plane. for example, sichuan 8633: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan_Airlines_Flight_8633

since the original conversation went something like "you don't need an o2/cabin pressure warning because you pass out in a few seconds" it doesn't really seem like hypoxia or low o2 levels are quite that simple (nevermind that that ignores an o2 situation that happens gradually)

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 13, 2023

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

are you familiar with the concept of ram pressure

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i am. are you suggesting the pilots had enough oxygen because they were flying fast enough they achieved a low-enough cabin altitude due to the air blowing into the windshield? that seems very unlikely but it's not a factor i've heard suggested before

e: looks like dynamic pressure at 500 kt and 30k ft is a little over 2psi? so maybe a tenth of an atmosphere

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 13, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Also altitude makes a huge difference. Above 40,000ft you do have basically no time before loss of consciousness. I believe one person in the cockpit must have an o2 mask on above 41,000ft? That’s separate from the oft mocked rule about donning a mask when you’re the only pilot on flight deck above like 25,000ft. Or whatever the numbers are.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the milk machine posted:

there are several examples of flights where the pilots spent several minutes or more without supplemental o2 and not only did they not pass out, they landed the plane. for example, sichuan 8633: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan_Airlines_Flight_8633

This doesn't say anything about whether the pilots put on their oxygen masks when the window blew out. I have to assume they did, because it doesn't say anything about the masks being disabled or unusable, and these aren't special superhero pilots who defied the ideal gas law and human biology because they tried really hard.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Sagebrush posted:

This doesn't say anything about whether the pilots put on their oxygen masks when the window blew out. I have to assume they did, because at 30,000 feet you have seconds of consciousness, and no these aren't special superhero pilots who defied the rules of human biology because they tried really hard.

this has a little more info: https://samchui.com/2023/05/25/miracle-of-sichuan-airlines-flight-8633-first-officer-sucked-out-of-the-cockpit/

the co-pilot who was halfway out the cockpit was jammed against the side stick, so the pilot couldn't let go of his side stick to get his mask. he was maskless through the whole thing

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the milk machine posted:

i am. are you suggesting the pilots had enough oxygen because they were flying fast enough they achieved a low-enough cabin altitude due to the air blowing into the windshield? that seems very unlikely but it's not a factor i've heard suggested before

e: looks like dynamic pressure at 500 kt and 30k ft is a little over 2psi? so maybe a tenth of an atmosphere

wouldn't this be 2psi across the whole non-pilot area of the window, and wouldn't the important part be the mass of gas being forced into the cabin?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
2psi is 2psi, it’s pretty hard to go fast enough that air can’t get out of its own way until you get towards Mach 1, and the air density at 30k ft is obviously low

it doesn’t seem like you could get significant cabin pressure into a windshield-less plane by flying fast but I’m honestly guessing here

though it would be funny if the “windshield blew out” checklist says to go full throttle into the wind

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

wouldn't this be 2psi across the whole non-pilot area of the window, and wouldn't the important part be the mass of gas being forced into the cabin?

Which means the gap is relatively small so maybe the pressurization system could probably still knock a few thousand feet off the cabin altitude?

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I'm imagining like a bounce house where it doesn't take a super powerful fan to inflate something that can support hundreds of pounds of weight. I imagine a plane a speed can generate more airflow than a 12 amp blower, even with the altitude difference.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

:stare:

Last week my girlfriend's flight landed, and after all the passengers had de-assed the captain tells the flight crew "go look the window in the cockpit."

He said it happened about an hour before landing, so not a birdstrike. I also kinda figure that's the kind of thing that you might warn the attendants about when it happens, but apparently not.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Anyone have 2.5 hours to kill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqDj7o19CWw&t=13s

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i find it difficult to believe that one person moving around could have a significant effect on the CG of a B-29 Superfortress, but maybe i suppose

According to my grandfather, the gear-up landing procedure for the B-24 had as many crew members as possible assemble as far back as possible to shift the CG aft. After touchdown, those crew members were supposed to then move as far forward as possible as quickly as possible. He said they all read that and looked at the narrow bomb bay catwalk and said, OK, I guess if it comes to that we'll all just die.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I've read far too many lovely Dale Brown books to pass this up

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sagebrush posted:

i find it difficult to believe that one person moving around could have a significant effect on the CG of a B-29 Superfortress, but maybe i suppose

I weighed as much as at least two crewmembers in their gear. And there were already two people back there.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

And yeah, this was the 2nd time the lady tried to touch and I would have landed and made her walk home. (And allegedly she tried to touch it a 3rd time).

Saw a video of the whole thing and the above wasn't true. Now, why the pilot is checking the rotor brake *after* take-off is a mystery to me.
Still isn't an invitation for pax to grab it, though.

(And I'm glad I've managed to skip the whole tour thing).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

This story is amazing; at one point the Soviets dispatched interceptors to shoot the bomber down, and they failed to intercept because in the mirror flight plan the Tu-22 was flying, it was time to engage the ECM.

The whole story is just one wild coincidence after another. It can't be fiction, because fiction has to be more plausible than this event was. Pro as gently caress click.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
A Mooney M20R crashed locally today, pilot didn't survive. NTSB is investigating.

Witness reports make me think it impacted as quite an angle

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2023/06/14/a-small-plane-crashes-in-watertown-wi-police-are-on-scene/70322275007/

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Saw a video of the whole thing and the above wasn't true. Now, why the pilot is checking the rotor brake *after* take-off is a mystery to me.
Still isn't an invitation for pax to grab it, though.

(And I'm glad I've managed to skip the whole tour thing).

I'm guessing an ongoing sort of a tick, kind of like how I'm always pushing my glasses up on my nose even if they're all the way up already, or clicking the button and pushing down on my parking brake handle in my car... which is almost literally the same as this helicopter thing. (I developed this when I got my current car where in the full down position, the handle is angled up 20 degrees which bothers me because I don't have the default assurance that it's full down by being horizontal like my last car).

e: Also, PYF stupid ticks. Clicking the autopilot disconnect button a shitload of times really fast, anyone? Gotta make sure it's really really off!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

mllaneza posted:

The whole story is just one wild coincidence after another. It can't be fiction, because fiction has to be more plausible than this event was. Pro as gently caress click.

I'm already binging this guy's videos.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

mllaneza posted:

Back in flight school I had an instructor tell the story of a fighter pilot who got lost and ended up flying west instead of east for a while because the setting sun directly in front of him was obscuring his compass. The moral being, don't just rely on your instruments, use some basic common sense and fundamental geophysical principles to back yourself up. So it was very satisfying to get to the point in that video when the pilot sees the sun rising in the wrong direction and goes "oh... FUUUUUUUUU"

EasilyConfused posted:

I'm already binging this guy's videos.

Yeah, it's a great channel.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The only legitimate time to meow on frequency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMyccJ7pueg

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Literally the first air‐to‐ground radio transmission in the history of aviation involved an unruly cat.

This is the cat in question, Kiddo.

It didn’t like the engines on this thing.

http://www.purr-n-fur.org.uk/famous/kiddo.html

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

`Nemesis posted:

A Mooney M20R crashed locally today, pilot didn't survive. NTSB is investigating.

Witness reports make me think it impacted as quite an angle

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2023/06/14/a-small-plane-crashes-in-watertown-wi-police-are-on-scene/70322275007/

rip to the Dr.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Back in flight school I had an instructor tell the story of a fighter pilot who got lost and ended up flying west instead of east for a while because the setting sun directly in front of him was obscuring his compass. The moral being, don't just rely on your instruments, use some basic common sense and fundamental geophysical principles to back yourself up.

That's a great lesson, that instructor is both saving and improving lives.

e. This is probably the second video everyone should watch off of that channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU1f47SC_A8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Zero One posted:

The only legitimate time to meow on frequency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMyccJ7pueg

A coworker came across a cat running free on the ramp at a large airport we worked at. He met me at another plane and it took me a bit to understand that he was saying "I found a cat and it's in the van".
We then found a 747 getting loaded up nearby for an international flight and a lot of workers standing around an empty cat-sized kennel in the baggage cart. We were all real glad that worked out the way it did.