Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
My paint water is kept in multiple cleaned out dolmio jars. I have a little pot of clean water that I also for rewetting my brush and diluting things. I had to move to jars because I kept trying to sip orange paint water from cups thinking it was my juice.

What are the recommended metallic paints these days? I have a couple of the gamesworkshop silvers (Leadbelcher and whatever the new version of that is?) but they're a bit chunky and dark. I know vallejo have redone some of their lines, and if I squint I can remember another brand being praised for their metallics a few years ago. Scale 75?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Hello fellow minis painters!

Just dropped by to advertise the new (and much more relaxed) season of the Oath painting thread, for the motivation challenged like me:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4032531

We dropped all of the points, judging etc. type stuff, but kept the monthly format and several 'traditions' from the older threads. If you (like some) got tired of the contest format but need a bit of a nudge to keep you painting month to month, feel free to join!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I keep thinking about posting there but, honestly, sometimes my impetus is fueled by shame and anxiety so I might need that extra push

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

gameraMan posted:

Hello fellow minis painters!

Just dropped by to advertise the new (and much more relaxed) season of the Oath painting thread, for the motivation challenged like me:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4032531

We dropped all of the points, judging etc. type stuff, but kept the monthly format and several 'traditions' from the older threads. If you (like some) got tired of the contest format but need a bit of a nudge to keep you painting month to month, feel free to join!

Considering I've got a host of new games I've gotten myself into (In addition to all the ones I've been wanting to make stuff for) I should probably get in on this.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Not sure if this is the best place, but is there a good guide for making terrain? I want to make Balin's Tomb and a couple other setpieces like Farmer Maggot's Crops and so on.

Eventually the dream is to make Helms Deep, so if ya'll got STLs or build guides I'd appreciate

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

w00tmonger posted:

For real though, is there any alternative do this? Literally the only route I've ever used

Shape it when you wick water off on a paper towel. Just a little rolling motion is all you need.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Not sure if this is the best place, but is there a good guide for making terrain? I want to make Balin's Tomb and a couple other setpieces like Farmer Maggot's Crops and so on.

Eventually the dream is to make Helms Deep, so if ya'll got STLs or build guides I'd appreciate

There isnt really one single good resource for all terrain, but youtube is crammed with videos on how to make terrain of all types. I'm partitial to The Terrain Tutor (he also has a book, Terrain Essentials by Mel Bose, but looking on amazon its got more expensive than when I got it on kickstarter), Geek Gaming Scenics (their older videos before they started making terrain/basing products as a business particularly, when the focus was on "ways of making this look good for cheap") and Wylochs Armory. Wyloch in particular is in the process of making the city of Baldurs Gate for tabletop use which you might find interesting/useful. He did a recent video that included making little cottage gardens which might help with farmer maggots crops; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxou7uG3vho

Essentially just wander round youtube until you find a creator or 3 who you enjoy their style/dont find annoying. I will say that for some reason stupid skits and bad character work as intros seems to be way less prevalent in the terrain making youtube community than it is in the painting youtube community, which is a blessing.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 10, 2023

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

If you can find White Dwarf from the mid '00s there are lots of lord of the rings terrain articles. Definitely some tips for cutting foam into dwarven statues at the very least.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Meatlong Football posted:

If you can find White Dwarf from the mid '00s there are lots of lord of the rings terrain articles. Definitely some tips for cutting foam into dwarven statues at the very least.

Most of them are up in the warhammer vault https://warhammer-vault.com/

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Chainclaw posted:

Most of them are up in the warhammer vault https://warhammer-vault.com/

still so mad this site just crashes out when loading pdfs on mobile safari

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Starting on my Old World army, finished up 2 shamans and a banner bearer

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Thanks everyone, glad to know I'm not the only one using a mug for water.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Communist Thoughts posted:

Wow this is awesome how did you do this?

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm working on a video on how I did the mirror guard effect. I'll stop being a shy baby and post it here when I'm done.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=s2b-6hxtELU&feature=share9

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

Virtual Russian posted:

You'll be considered a real mini painter when you accidentally take a few sips from the paint water mug and clean your brush in your coffee/tea.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

Have you tried the GSW Brush Rinser?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Z the IVth posted:

Have you tried the GSW Brush Rinser?

I literally just got served an ad for the "temu" (think wish.com) version of this and was laughing at the concept of treating your paintbrush like its a cat, I didnt realise it was a knock off of an actual product that someone in the hobby was actually selling. Though I probably should have.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I got an ad once for that thing, and couldn't quite figure out why you would need a constant flow of fresh water to rinse a brush. But since many people have posted about using multiple water jars, maybe I am the fool.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

I got an ad once for that thing, and couldn't quite figure out why you would need a constant flow of fresh water to rinse a brush. But since many people have posted about using multiple water jars, maybe I am the fool.

I think a lot of people don't have a dedicated squeeze bottle for clean water and use the water they have in jars for thinning paints. And while it is not an issue for darker colors, yellows and whites and light colors can get tinted if the water is dirty. That is why I use a multi pot system.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

SiKboy posted:

I literally just got served an ad for the "temu" (think wish.com) version of this and was laughing at the concept of treating your paintbrush like its a cat, I didnt realise it was a knock off of an actual product that someone in the hobby was actually selling. Though I probably should have.

Turns out (not surprisingly given their track record) GSW's version is also knock off. There are China versions for even less.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think a lot of people don't have a dedicated squeeze bottle for clean water and use the water they have in jars for thinning paints. And while it is not an issue for darker colors, yellows and whites and light colors can get tinted if the water is dirty. That is why I use a multi pot system.

Good advice to have some Lahmian in a dropper and/or some water + medium + flow improver mix to dilute stuff. Makes mixes much more repeatable as well.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

gently caress it, I just bought the dumb water thing because the knock-off was like Ł4 with free shipping and I'm sure I'll get 4 quids worth of entertainment out of it and then the body of it can get turned into terrain or something. Slit down the middle already makes it look like a sci fi obelisk. And you never know, I thought vortex mixers were dumb for paints until I tried one, I could be wrong about this being pointless tat too. Bet I'm not though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah I was gonna say, GSW is the one that makes knock offs of other people's poo poo

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

SiKboy posted:

gently caress it, I just bought the dumb water thing because the knock-off was like Ł4 with free shipping and I'm sure I'll get 4 quids worth of entertainment out of it and then the body of it can get turned into terrain or something. Slit down the middle already makes it look like a sci fi obelisk. And you never know, I thought vortex mixers were dumb for paints until I tried one, I could be wrong about this being pointless tat too. Bet I'm not though.

I am pretty sure the only reason I have functioning wrists is because I decided to grab a mixer.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Relaying a question from a friend: he's looking to paint a variety of stuff for practice to eventually use for D&D purposes, and was asking if there's such a thing as any decent "grab bags of random guys" vs getting sets of one specific monster or set of monsters at a time. ("Here's a box with a party, some goblins and skeletons, and a boss monster" or something like that, I'm guessing.) Mystery boxes and the like are something I've thoroughly avoided so I wouldn't even know where to look, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, and I can't think of a better thread for "random minis for paint practice" than here. No local games stores where he's at unfortunately.

(My own painting is on indefinite hold, so no updates from me, sorry.)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SkyeAuroline posted:

Relaying a question from a friend: he's looking to paint a variety of stuff for practice to eventually use for D&D purposes, and was asking if there's such a thing as any decent "grab bags of random guys" vs getting sets of one specific monster or set of monsters at a time. ("Here's a box with a party, some goblins and skeletons, and a boss monster" or something like that, I'm guessing.) Mystery boxes and the like are something I've thoroughly avoided so I wouldn't even know where to look, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, and I can't think of a better thread for "random minis for paint practice" than here. No local games stores where he's at unfortunately.

(My own painting is on indefinite hold, so no updates from me, sorry.)

either getting stuff one by one for cheap on reaper's website, or seeing if they have one of their absurd kickstarters up and running

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think I finally finished him, on to the termies!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Spanish Manlove posted:

either getting stuff one by one for cheap on reaper's website, or seeing if they have one of their absurd kickstarters up and running

Or eBay a partially-painted set of one of the early Bones Kickstarters.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Would any of you, in the UK, have use for a box 90% full of the warhammer fantasy orcs? Maybe a kid learning to assemble and paint or one of you doing a throw back army.

I am decluttering my insane hobby room and I'd like to get stuff like these to someone who will use them (for price of postage only).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I just got the airbrush out for the first time in year, just to test it out along with the Vallejo black gloss base and White Aluminum. The compressor jiggles itself all over my balcony table so might need to address that, but I just want to check how I'm cleaning the airbrush, basically running a bunch of water through it plus covering the nozzle so the air fires back into the chamber, that's alright for day-to-day cleaning right? I've got some biostrip20, will diluting that and running it through be worth doing? Is that even safe actually?

Anyway my test figure looks fine but i did a test stripe of Stormhost silver on it and the GW paint looks lighter? I was hoping to get as white a silver as possible, do I maybe need to do more layers of the Vallejo? Or could it just be I didn't leave the base coat to cure fully (I think it said a day) that's let it down?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 13, 2023

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
With these two Tech-Priests finished, my AdMech collection is once again 100% painted.

I really like the models. They're sufficiently weird while still looking like humans, unlike their bosses.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Decorus posted:

With these two Tech-Priests finished, my AdMech collection is once again 100% painted.

I really like the models. They're sufficiently weird while still looking like humans, unlike their bosses.

I like them a lot, they remind me that my flesh is weak

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

I just got the airbrush out for the first time in year, just to test it out along with the Vallejo black gloss base and White Aluminum. The compressor jiggles itself all over my balcony table so might need to address that, but I just want to check how I'm cleaning the airbrush, basically running a bunch of water through it plus covering the nozzle so the air fires back into the chamber, that's alright for day-to-day cleaning right? I've got some biostrip20, will diluting that and running it through be worth doing? Is that even safe actually?

Anyway my test figure looks fine but i did a test stripe of Stormhost silver on it and the GW paint looks lighter? I was hoping to get as white a silver as possible, do I maybe need to do more layers of the Vallejo? Or could it just be I didn't leave the base coat to cure fully (I think it said a day) that's let it down?

Clean by running 99% Isopropyl Alcohol through it in the same fashion was water. Backflow, spray and then wipe down the cup. At the end of each session take the needle out and wipe that as well as the tip of the brush.

If you have money to burn you can buy Airbrush cleaner for 5x the price of IPA which does the same thing.

If you airbrush a lot you can invest in an ultrasonic cleaner for the brush.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Finished up some Chaotic Boys. Sorry for the sloppy phone pics, just excited to share.

]

And this Knight Tyrant means my whole Chaos Knight army is done!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The nice vibrant full of life grass bases contrast the horrors on top of them so well, it's tripping me out. Seeing Abby on a verdant grass field instead of the usual hellscapes people come up with for basing is so striking, I love it.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I know I promoted them before but The Painting Phase is a great podcast/youtube channel. Especially if you like GW history and oldhammer stuff. They already had Bob Naismith on the show twice, and this week they have 2 hours with Gary Morley. Fantastic stuff about old GW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLgWChbsB68

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah they’re doing great work with the interviews. Absolutely perfect background podcast while you paint

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:agreed: re: Painting Phase aka my favorite podcast on the Citadel.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Nazzadan posted:

The nice vibrant full of life grass bases contrast the horrors on top of them so well, it's tripping me out. Seeing Abby on a verdant grass field instead of the usual hellscapes people come up with for basing is so striking, I love it.

Hey thanks! That was pretty much the intended effect. There’s a long rant by Werner Herzog about how awful overflowing nature is that made me think it might work. Life is chaotic!

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

Disaster! I was picking up my finished supernova to take a glamourshot and dropped it, chipping a large portion of the gloss-varnished and paitned canopy almost clean off. I ended up using a scraper to scrape the rest away, as well as the front portion, and am left with this:

It looks like it is down to the plastic with maybe a tiny bit of primer. Can I just re-primer and paint the scraped-away portions or am I doomed to strip the whole thing and redo it?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Richter Scabies posted:

Disaster! I was picking up my finished supernova to take a glamourshot and dropped it, chipping a large portion of the gloss-varnished and paitned canopy almost clean off. I ended up using a scraper to scrape the rest away, as well as the front portion, and am left with this:

It looks like it is down to the plastic with maybe a tiny bit of primer. Can I just re-primer and paint the scraped-away portions or am I doomed to strip the whole thing and redo it?

Brushed on primer and repainting should be just fine, no need to strip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm looking to organise my paint space more, does anyone have suggestions or input about paint racks? I guess I just want something more vertical to be space efficient, are the upright ones prone to falling over if not against a wall?