Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

G-III posted:

I'm having difficulties selling off my radcity 5 plus to make room in my garage for the nevo4. I would have thought a reduced cost slightly used decent brand ebike would have gotten more hits 😞
How reduced cost?

Think about it this way: would you rather pay $2000 for a new ebike or pay a couple hundred dollars less for one where it's impossible to determine what kind of condition the battery is in and potentially no warranty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Good point I took 500 off so selling at 1500 I might have to go lower although it is still less than a year old so still within warranty (and this fact is advertised).

Wonder what I should lower it to and still make it worth my whole to just not gift it out to a friend

G-III fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 12, 2023

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

Does tube brand matter much? I've gotten a couple flats on https://www.walmart.com/ip/904357201 from I'm assuming things like broken glass on the side of the road but I'm blaming the stock tires rather than the tubes and plan to get some marathon plus tires - I had those on a diy job a few years ago and loved them

It's pretty much entirely the tire's job to stop punctures. You could use a slime tube, but I think it's better to go with something like the marathon pluses

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
I'm looking for a throttle/class 3/fat tire ebike that can seat two in a pinch. gf and i are moving to SF in august and she cannot drive, but is looking at a ~15 minute commute mostly through Golden Gate Park to get to school. she has a friend who loves her Super 73, so I was looking at a Super 73-S Adventure Series. however, I was wondering if yall had any recommendations for a bike/technically just an electric moped

like this! looking to seat two occasionally and take a rear cargo basket. preferably hardtail. thanks!

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 13, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Don't ride knobbies on the street. They're SO noisy and inefficient. Looks like you can get semi slicks for another hundred bucks so go wild tho.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 13, 2023

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

TenementFunster posted:

I'm looking for a throttle/class 3/fat tire ebike that can seat two in a pinch. gf and i are moving to SF in august and she cannot drive, but is looking at a ~15 minute commute mostly through Golden Gate Park to get to school. she has a friend who loves her Super 73, so I was looking at a Super 73-S Adventure Series. however, I was wondering if yall had any recommendations for a bike/technically just an electric moped

like this! looking to seat two occasionally and take a rear cargo basket. preferably hardtail. thanks!
The Super73/Ariel Rider/etc caught my eye initially, but I ended up going with the Zooz UltraUrban 1100 for its better performance, lighter weight, stronger frame, more use of regular bike/bmx parts, and more regular bike-like appearance allowing it to go anywhere.

If it has to be closer to the S73 aesthetic style I'd also consider the Luna Banana.

I've had the Zooz about 10 months now and no regrets in the choice at all. The new models have thread boss attachment points for front/rear racks and other accessories. Here's mine with some various attachments:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Hey Thread!

I'm a long time long distance biker. My wife has ridden with me a bunch on shorter trips in previous years (up to 20 miles or so) and would like to do a longer tour with me (specifically RAGBRAI). She's ridden a ton this year, and has really upped her distance, but we're still thinking it'd be good to have a backup plan in case a week of 50-80 mile days is too much. So we're starting to look into e-bikes that can handle long days. We may have the possibility to swap out a battery halfway through the day, but I think we're still looking for something on the higher end of the range scale.

Due to the focus on long trips, we're of course looking for something more on the touring side than the city commuter side. She currently rides a road bike and enjoys that, but something a little more upright for long days would be fine too. Some of the really high end road ebikes seem to want to hide the battery -- she doesn't care about that at all. As far as budget, we realize long range, reliable, repairable ebikes are going to be expensive, but we're not looking for some crazy over the top thing either.

Unfortunately, I really have no idea where to start for something like this. My only previous experience with e-bikes was my Mom's, who had one she loved, but it broke after 2 years and parts were completely unobtainable.

Lastly, there's probably not a great way to rent something like this for a week, but I figured I'd mention we'd be fine with that instead if that was an option people knew about.

ETA: Intended riding surface is majority roads with occasional packed gravel rails to trails, nothing harsher than that.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 13, 2023

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

evil_bunnY posted:

Can you tell it you want 100% before a big day in a way that's not loving annoying?

Good question. I think so, but I haven't actually felt the need to do that yet, so I'm gonna check.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Do whats your your budget? And what's your intended trip range?

There are a few dual battery cheap options (see Rize models all support dual battery) or whatever Bosch solution that can go as high as 5k, 10k, whatever.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Do whats your your budget? And what's your intended trip range?

There are a few dual battery cheap options (see Rize models all support dual battery) or whatever Bosch solution that can go as high as 5k, 10k, whatever.

Yeah, that's a hard question. I realize reliable + long range is going to equal expensive, but I was hoping more like $3k than the 6k-10k Specialized options. But there's no reason to buy this if it doesn't do what we need it to do, so there's flexibility there.

Looking at Rize's website, one potential problem we may run into is she is 5'3" with short legs.

The trip range is 500 miles over 7 days, with each day somewhere between 50-85 miles. As I said, we may be able to change batteries in the middle of the day.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 13, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You can always buy 2 ebikes that share battery and then get 1-3 extra batteries. Figure about 500-600 bux would be a decent price for a battery.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

The only ones that immediately come to mind with that longer range (and for shorter heights) are the Blix Dubbel (with dual onboard batteries) and the Aventon Soltera (with a second/third battery that you'll have to swap in). While I own a Blix Packa Genie cargo bike I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love the cargo bike utility but it is a maintenance queen with rear spokes breaking constantly under weight and cheap components (stem, specifically).

Aventon owns their own factory and can seemingly do higher quality for similar costs as other brands. If/when I get a second ebike I'd likely go with them.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

You can always buy 2 ebikes that share battery and then get 1-3 extra batteries. Figure about 500-600 bux would be a decent price for a battery.

Maybe I'm not following you, but to be clear, I'm very happy with my non-ebike situation. This is just a 1 bike deal

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Grumpwagon posted:

Maybe I'm not following you, but to be clear, I'm very happy with my non-ebike situation. This is just a 1 bike deal

Well you still haven't said how much range you need. If you just need 60-80m from the ebike, you can get go with 1 battery 20AH solution from a few models. Also middrive is more efficient and cost more. You still need to contribute half of the power.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Jonny Quest posted:

The only ones that immediately come to mind with that longer range (and for shorter heights) are the Blix Dubbel (with dual onboard batteries) and the Aventon Soltera (with a second/third battery that you'll have to swap in). While I own a Blix Packa Genie cargo bike I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love the cargo bike utility but it is a maintenance queen with rear spokes breaking constantly under weight and cheap components (stem, specifically).

Aventon owns their own factory and can seemingly do higher quality for similar costs as other brands. If/when I get a second ebike I'd likely go with them.

Cool, thanks for the suggestions! That Aventon does look nice, but yeah, the prospect of carrying and charging 3 batteries does seem a bit hard to manage. I definitely was figuring something with a 2nd battery built in for range extension like that Blix would be more likely. Shame it hasn't worked out well for you.

I've been looking at the conventional bike manufacturer's ebike offerings. It seems like they're mostly either focused on very racy road bikes, or something like the Cannondale Tesoro Neo X 3. That would probably fit the bill, although it's more of a mountain bike setup (mostly fine, but probably adds weight), more than I was hoping to spend, and cutting it close on the range.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 13, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't ride knobbies on the street. They're SO noisy and inefficient. Looks like you can get semi slicks for another hundred bucks so go wild tho.
yeah i was hoping for something i wouldn't have to immediately swap the tires on, but I couldn't find much that also had seating for two :(

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Grumpwagon posted:

Cool, thanks for the suggestions! That Aventon does look nice, but yeah, the prospect of carrying and charging 3 batteries does seem a bit hard to manage. I definitely was figuring something with a 2nd battery built in for range extension like that Blix would be more likely. Shame it hasn't worked out well for you.

I've been looking at the conventional bike manufacturer's ebike offerings. It seems like they're mostly either focused on very racy road bikes, or something like the Cannondale Tesoro Neo X 3. That would probably fit the bill, although it's more of a mountain bike setup (mostly fine, but probably adds weight), more than I was hoping to spend, and cutting it close on the range.

Two possible suggestions:

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/electric-bikes/electric-gravel-bikes/grail-on/grail-on-cf-7/3253.html?dwvar_3253_pv_rahmenfarbe=GY%2FBK

This is just a bit above the range at $3,800 + does not come with an additional battery, but if you’re not doing a ton of climbing it really can tend to hit the ~70 miles it promises with its basic battery.

The Allant+ is supposed to have a very long (80~ mile) range also. If you get it from something like the Pro’s Closet it’s in the price range, otherwise it’s similarly over.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think I need a much more robust 4" fat bike tube. I have a pattern with my rear tube going flat but not having any obvious leaks; even re-inflating and running it through a tub of water doesn't bring up anything obvious. I think it just can't handle my fat rear end, my excessive stuff, and my bike. Is there a good brand for just general heavier use? I'd like to at least lose one to screw like normal people.

Edit: 26" wheel.
Edit edit: 4" wide
Edit edit edit gently caress my life: I previously have tried Mongoose and Schrader.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 14, 2023

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

For Grumpwagon, does anyone have experience with Juiced? I've seen them around but their CrossCurrent in theory has a 60-80 mile range. That may work out.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think I need a much more robust 4" fat bike tube. I have a pattern with my rear tube going flat but not having any obvious leaks; even re-inflating and running it through a tub of water doesn't bring up anything obvious. I think it just can't handle my fat rear end, my excessive stuff, and my bike. Is there a good brand for just general heavier use? I'd like to at least lose one to screw like normal people.

Edit: 26" wheel.
Edit edit: 4" wide
Edit edit edit gently caress my life: I previously have tried Mongoose and Schrader.
Shrader is a valve type not a brand. If there's no leak path when you reinflate (have you checked the valve?) it's probably normal leak-through, you just need to top it up every couple weeks.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My current 26x4 tire anti-puncture solution.

Factory tubes + flatout sealant + Mr. Tuffy liners + factory Kenda tires.

There is no slime tube or marathon+ tire for this size.

Extra 1 dollar value caps that show you yellow/red color if tires are in low pressure. If you want to be cute you can get motorcycle pressure monitor valve caps that connect to your phone. I have something similar on my car. They work. But I just don't see the point.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

evil_bunnY posted:

Shrader is a valve type not a brand. If there's no leak path when you reinflate (have you checked the valve?) it's probably normal leak-through, you just need to top it up every couple weeks.

Yeah I looked deeper and that one was VeloTubes.

I'll be testing two tubes tonight--I actually have another one sitting pretty that needs to be examined. Last time I did this, I inflated the tubes and dunked them in the pool where I was living. I didn't get any bubbles anywhere. However, after reinstalling them, they were flat within 24 hours just sitting in the garage. They'll retain some level of inflation just laying around outside of a tire, so it's like they couldn't take the pressure inside with the pressure outside from the weight on them any more.

I was going to try some slime in them if I couldn't get any obvious leaks for either one and see how well they hold up. Since I'm taking them off the tires, I'll be inspecting the tires again too.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Mr. Tuffy liners

I just found out about these liners last night. Don't you use a smaller tube diameter when using liners?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
No you only use smaller tubes if you are using those wrap around armour jacket thing. I did research between those and liners. Liners are more time tested, flexible and easier to install. Just watch some youtube install videos.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I tested and repaired two tubes tonight, including the one that just got me. My error was only inflating to the size they would normally be on the bike. The pin holes were effectively closed at that point. I had to go much further and then I got some bubbles in my water.

I think I will also install liners so I hopefully don't have to repair a tube every 50 miles. I got some tire slime too but I gotta pop tire valves for that.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Thinking about getting a Lectric XP Lite. I live 2 miles from my work and traffic is pretty light. I’d mostly be riding through neighborhoods. My gym is also a little over 3 miles from me and wouldn’t be a bad ride though there’s a decent hill.

I don’t really NEED it but I think it’d be fun and want it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sublimer posted:

though there’s a decent hill.

Tell us more about this hill. Hub drives struggle on steep hills since they don't have gearing to adjust; a mid-drive would be better if it's steep. The descent is going to matter for braking. The specs only mentioned the rotor so I don't know what brakes are actually on the bike. Some cheap mechanical brakes are going to doom you if the descent takes you past a bunch of feral parked cars ready to pull out and/or or door you.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Sublimer posted:

Thinking about getting a Lectric XP Lite. I live 2 miles from my work and traffic is pretty light. I’d mostly be riding through neighborhoods. My gym is also a little over 3 miles from me and wouldn’t be a bad ride though there’s a decent hill.

If there is any elevation change at all I would look at something with a geared drive train even as a fail safe incase battery is flat one day (like the XP 3.0 with a 7 speed).

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I mean, its 2,3 miles. If the hill is too steep, just ride in s line.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Google Maps says 200 ft of elevation gain on that route but I’m not sure the distance that’s spread out over. I guess I’ll pay attention next time I drive it. I would also be going this way to my city’s downtown square which seems like a cool place to take an ebike.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

I think having gears on a commuter is more practical personally. Don't get me wrong I do love the simplicity of a single speed (esp fixed) but those aren't for everyone (or for heavy clunkers like ebikes). Especially when the prices are so close I feel it's better to just get the geared version instead of potentially regretting not getting one later one.

KIEFGIVER
Jun 16, 2023

by vyelkin
Bought a Lectric XP 2.0 a couple months ago and have 239 miles on it. My first ebike and I'm really loving it. It's my first bike in 13 years. I'm having a real blast exploring in my city. Had one crash on it 2 weeks after I got it (my fault, I tried to one hand it and I guess throttle pushed me down) but am ok. I had it on Class 3 mode and was getting 23-24 mph on flat ground with just throttle and about 18 mph with PAS. I'm right at the weight limit of the bike so my mileage isn't so great, I get about 15-16 miles on one battery. I got a 2nd battery and its really opened up where I can go.

Rode a steep hill in LA's Griffith Park the other week and I guess it was too steep and my controller got messed up. I kept getting error codes for the throttle and motor. I checked all the connections and those stopped but I started getting the error for the controller. Lectric didn't respond to my emails after 3 days so I messaged their Instagram and I got a controller in the mail coming to me.

I'm overall happy with the bike, but the brakes just suck. Maybe its my weight/average speed, but it doesn't take a lot of use to get the brake lines loose. Thinking about replacing with Hydraulics. Would that be worth it?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Gone through the entire thread and not seen a single retro e-bike cruiser....

Back in 2015 I bought just a regular e-bike so I could get around while recovering from hernia surgery....

During the pandemic the motor stopped working so I took it to an e-bike place to see if I could get it repaired. They said because it was older tech I might need to get it replaced but they'd see what they could do. They ended up fixing it but because I'd started looking online the algorithm started shoving ads in my face for different e-bikes. "Nope... nope... nope.... oooooooh...... purdy...." After looking into details like range and power I decided to lash out with the savings that six lockdowns totalling 262 days and a decent tax return had gotten me....

It even has a sissy bar.....

(That's a pit-jack I bought for lifting the back wheel).
:dadjoke:

It's a Mk3 Rayvolt Cruzer... Power hub and double battery.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

KIEFGIVER posted:

Thinking about replacing with Hydraulics. Would that be worth it?

Absolutely, if you can swing for something like the bottom tier 2 piston shimano deore it's probably the biggest upgrade you can do.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sublimer posted:

Google Maps says 200 ft of elevation gain on that route but I’m not sure the distance that’s spread out over. I guess I’ll pay attention next time I drive it. I would also be going this way to my city’s downtown square which seems like a cool place to take an ebike.

Google maps will show you the elevation profile on the app

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Hey thread, I'm moving to San Diego in a month and am planning on getting my first ebike for the commute (have been an avid biker for some time, but would like not to arrive to work sweaty). Commute will be roughly 5-7 miles each way with some hills: google maps telling me that one way is ~ 82 feet of incline, 180 feet of decline (though the ability to handle larger hills might be helpful while I'm exploring San Diego, which has a lot of hills and valleys). I'd also ideally like to be able to carry a bag or two worth of groceries (maybe using panniers for this purpose?) or other small loads.

I imagine this puts me in fairly standard 'commuter ebike' territory (with the exception of maybe needing a geared bike for the hills?), but would love to hear people's thoughts on what form-factors to consider, or what brands to look at (if people have recommendations for panniers that would also be helpful). Budget is around $1500-2kish.

Also would love to hear about best practices for storage/charging -- reading the past few pages it seems like it's worth it to only charge up to 80% and don't run it down past 20%, are there any other tips for enhancing the longevity?

Thanks!

KIEFGIVER
Jun 16, 2023

by vyelkin
Got the new controller today and it was a very easy install. Glad to have my bike back.

Can anyone recommend some hydro brakes that won't cost too much? Only thing I know is the discs are 160mm and it needs the motor cutoff sensor. I don't know if I need to replace everything or just the pistons and and levers.

I'm also getting a lot of "ghost pedaling" in the lower gears and have to stick to the highest gears for PAS, will something like the below help fix that?

https://www.amazon.com/DRIFT-MANIAC-Freewheel-Speeds-11-34T/dp/B07XYPH5BG/

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

KIEFGIVER posted:

Can anyone recommend some hydro brakes that won't cost too much? Only thing I know is the discs are 160mm and it needs the motor cutoff sensor. I don't know if I need to replace everything or just the pistons and and levers.

Is it cable brakes? You may be be able to get a drop in caliper replacement that is locally hydraulic but still cable-activated.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
IMO for groceries, pannier is not as convenient as something like the gopeak mtx milk crate.

If your bike come with a rear rack, you can get a MTX adopter. If you have mtx bag you don't use, you can also unscrew the bottom plate and screw it on a cheap seat to make a quick release passenger seat.

Bike model is whatever, you don't need special models for San Fran. All ebike models over 1k have the same Shimano Tourney 7 speed 8 speed gear, they will work in SF.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

KIEFGIVER posted:

I don't know what your budget is or where to get good deals on bike parts in the states (where I assume you live) - I usually order stuff like brake parts from one of the large German e-shops and use the LBS for more basic items. Anyways, all you need is available on Amazon though you might find better stuff cheaper elsewhere.

It would probably be easiest to get a whole assembly like this one: https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Deor...customerReviews
It's already connected, full of fluid and pre-bled. If you assemble from loose parts you need to mess with the fluid, which requires a few more items and it can be a bit of a pain and a bit of a mess to get right. Reading the instructions or watching a youtube or two really helps. You can get a kit similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/RSN-Sports-S...ps%2C189&sr=8-4
You want the syringe, the little screw-on reservoir cup funnel thingy and the brake fluid itself.

Then you need to retrofit the brake sensor and magnet, using JB-weld or some simliar epoxy product probably, or it comes with double sided tape for mounting. These sensors should be available with a connector that fits your bike controller for about €10 each. It's just a magnetically activated reed switch so it doesn't need to be the same brand as you controller, with the caveat that the switch needs to have the correct nominal state when the magnet is close. I assume all commercially available brake switches work the same way, but on my bakfiets e-bike controller I can connect to both nominally open and nominally closed switches so I might be wrong about this.
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Bic...209&sr=8-5&th=1
I once built my own reed switch and potted it in epoxy in a mold that looked like a vagina which gave me my avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Neurostorm posted:

are there any other tips for enhancing the longevity?

Store the battery at as close to room temperature as possible. Leaving it outside in freezing weather will shorten the life. Charging can be done in a slightly wider range of temps, and using the bike at the widest.