Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

samogonka posted:

Half the country would celebrate if Poland flattened Berlin

what about mein fonkybeats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

jesus christ

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

interesting thread, one could argue there's a bit of cope in here but it's a compelling argument nonetheless that basically everything is unfolding in Russia's favor

https://twitter.com/gslavic/status/1668355091798056978

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's hard to argue that complete destruction of Ukraine is to the benefit of Russia.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

"ecocide" really has replaced "genocide" now, huh? interesting

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

sum posted:

Poland just officially renamed Kaliningrad Oblast to "Krolewiec" as a based dunk on Russia or whatever. Leave it to the Poles not to realize the obvious consequences of opening that can of worms.

drake no : renaming east germany to "central germany"
drake yes : restarting the German Democratic Republic and extending it westward to the Rhine

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Ardennes posted:

There is a lot more than 3 brigades involved, it seems it applies to the main 9-11 brigades.

The buffer zone claim indicates that the current goal is conquest but “demilitarization and denazification” along with I guess the borders of the current annexed oblasts and I guess 100-150 km buffer zone on top. I could never see Ukraine or the West signing on to that.

The West will never give up on their Nazis.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

interesting thread, one could argue there's a bit of cope in here but it's a compelling argument nonetheless that basically everything is unfolding in Russia's favor

https://twitter.com/gslavic/status/1668355514340630538

man if only they had started the war by doing this instead of leeroy jenkins'ing into kiev

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Charlemagne lives!!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol at at least some libs realising that their pet nazis are uncontrollable and impossible to put back in their bottle

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
demanding a sonnenrad emoji as a nod to traditional ukranian culture

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

man if only they had started the war by doing this instead of leeroy jenkins'ing into kiev

airborne doctrine working well thank you

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Yeah, it doesn’t seem that unreasonable in general. The question is both the number of Ukrainian casualties, and also how deep are their reserves and equipment.

It seems most of the “main force” is engaged at this point considering the battles occurring, the question is if Ukraine had another large reserve to push forward after it (open question). I would say raw light infantry would be even more vulnerable here than Bakhmut and it is unclear what they would accomplish beyond trying to hold some already taken toward positions.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Sometimes you have to learn a lesson the hard way

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Jun 13, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

But the mystery of the Russian soul, my dear Westerners, is in the fact that there is no soul at all.
Total obedience and undeserved pride at the same time led them to the state where they have no pity, no shame, no future perspectives. They don’t like themselves. They hate everyone

Russians cannot be saved, cannot be “civilised”. They are the pure evil civilisation on their own. The only thing we can do is to defend ourselves from them, defend European civilisation and make sure they don’t have enough capability to kill everyone they want. That’s all

Scratch a liberal and you'll probably find an extremely cool guy with cool opinions underneath.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

January 6 Survivor posted:

drake no : renaming east germany to "central germany"
drake yes : restarting the German Democratic Republic and extending it westward to the Lisboa

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
this wouldn't really be the first time that the Russians had to learn how to fight the war they've found themselves in after taking it on the chin in losses first

the trick is that Russia is actually large enough to be able to afford to fail more than once

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://twitter.com/gslavic/status/1668357261910065155?s=20

/thread

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Zedhe Khoja posted:

rename it Keefe

chiev kiev

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
well i always wondered in western propaganda was just for the plebs but this was answered it, turns out propaganda remains dangerous to the propagandizer if their own society has been allowed to become educationally deficient and feckless

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

No he wasn't

It was dumb as poo poo

His grand plan was that "Maybe if enough people die people will learn that war is bad"

are you implying that zelenskyys plan to defeat the russians is as stupid as the plot of gundam wing because thats a helluva take there mister

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Seeing talk about Ukraine doing probing attacks. Is that even needed for the most part anymore now that drones and satellites have removed the fog of war. I assume Ukraine already started by attacking a weak spot and are getting destroyed anyways.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

this wouldn't really be the first time that the Russians had to learn how to fight the war they've found themselves in after taking it on the chin in losses first

the trick is that Russia is actually large enough to be able to afford to fail more than once

The Kremlin doesn’t like to second guess itself until it has to. The initial invasion was a nonsensical plan and I think everyone across the board knows it.

It also gave the US a critical amount of overconfidence that has lead to the current situation. The US has the means to rein in Kiev anytime they want, and DC really thought the Russians were just some primitive in rolling trash cans essentially.

That said, the only path really forward is for Russia to sit on Ukraine as it has been until it’s frontline starts fracturing and can’t sustain the type of defense that Russia has been doing. Otherwise, it becomes just an engineering question.

Mine fields and dragon teeth can be formidable barriers…if you have enough men to make use of them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
drones/satellites are very much not perfect surveillance, but also lol @ probing attacks where you lose 10% of your new kit

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What is Ukrainian air support like right now? Even in a best case scenario it seems insane to think the AFU could break through entrenched defenses (the ones they haven't even reached yet) without substantial air support softening up those positions. Do they have anything? I know the promised F-16s are a long way off

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What is Ukrainian air support like right now? Even in a best case scenario it seems insane to think the AFU could break through entrenched defenses (the ones they haven't even reached yet) without substantial air support softening up those positions. Do they have anything? I know the promised F-16s are a long way off

last i heard it mostly consists of ghosts

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Raccooon posted:

Seeing talk about Ukraine doing probing attacks. Is that even needed for the most part anymore now that drones and satellites have removed the fog of war.

Yes. No they haven't. lol

There's way more than I on the subject, but I'll just say Artillery Reconnaissance / Survey alone requires specialized training, its own detachments, and hours of planning before the patrols even go out.

That's not the forward observers or STA/GSR either, that's just the reconnaissance element of the artillery battery, to make sure the siting of the gun positions and BHQ is done correctly, perform route reconnaissance, screen the battery while moving between positions, and place the flags, lights, tape and other markings along the way and at the gun position.

That's without getting into other arms like the hussars and infantry patrolmen, light armoured recce, detached recce companies, various HSLD shops etc. etc.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Is Ukraine really attacking under heavy artillery fire with zero capability to hit the Russian artillery? That seems insane.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Raccooon posted:

Is Ukraine really attacking under heavy artillery fire with zero capability to hit the Russian artillery? That seems insane.

It is insane. That's what I'm a bit taken aback by the whole thing. It would require them to deliver so much shock through mass alone, and I guess direct fire from tank guns, to make up for it, but the human cost would be staggering.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Raccooon posted:

they have 200% capability, and have captured every single russian tank

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i'm just a dumb civvie but it always seem remarkable both what satellites can see (remember those satellite images of Iran, i think, Trump presented that looks like someone had photographed them from a low flying helicopter) and what they still can't. They're amazingly omniscient until they're not. I guess atmospherics plays a major part?

Raccooon posted:

unless they're out of ammo they still have a few toys like himars which should be able to hit Russian guns, but they don't have many so it probably doesn't make a difference.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I have always maintained that a smarter leadership interested in the safety of its people would have surrendered, and I don’t think the Russians ever intended to attack Kiev- the crux of the “feint” was wrongly assuming the Ukrainian leadership would have done the reasonable thing to prevent a needless and bloody conflict. Basically it was both smart to pretend to attack and to not actually attack; Z and co. being crazy doesn’t make it a dumb strategy!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Satellites generate a lot of data, but someone still needs to interpret it and find anything useful in it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:rip: stephenthinkpad :rip:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raccooon posted:

They do have some HIMARS launchers and AtG, but it isn’t really comparable in terms of mass. It seems to be an offensive built on faith.

There was talk earlier about how much the Siegfried line was a joke etc etc, the whole reason Market Garden happened was to try to get around it. It later stood up to allied assaults through the fall to the battle of the Bulge and it took Operation Veritable to push forward though the top portion of the line on the Dutch border (which generally was the weakest part) and that was late February/early March 1945.

Static defenses can be miserable to get through, the aim is to force the enemy to go on and do it.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:41 on Jun 13, 2023

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Satellites generate a lot of data, but someone still needs to interpret it and find anything useful in it.

That's what the intern warriors leaking info on discords to own their enemies are for.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
It's starting to look like the reddit plan to attack through Belgorod, drive south on the Russian highways and swoop down on the rear of the Russian forces in the Donbass and Zaporizhia was more realistic than what Ukraine came up with

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

:rip: stephenthinkpad :rip:

how did Lenin get roped into this mess? Do they know he's dead?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lenin was the most evil orc that ever lived.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Starsfan posted:

It's starting to look like the reddit plan

interesting how the nafo subreddit is like the only one still open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1668676547585224704?s=46&t=vNKUIzc4nvqsPFaYLiXegw

So this is the US laying the groundwork to leave Ukraine to it’s own devices, right?