Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
fiscal responsibility for a governmental organisation is stuff like "don't spend hundreds of millions on a garden bridge that never happens" rather than "oh we can't spend that much on an essential service because it will look bad to old cunts who don't know how a national budget works"

e; The 29th dimension is the highest dimension for compact hyperbolic Coxeter polytopes that are bounded by a fundamental polyhedron, and the highest dimension that holds arithmetic discrete groups of reflections with noncompact unbounded fundamental polyhedra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It's ridiculous how we're conned by this fiscal responsibility bullshit.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
My belief is that Labour are doing this on purpose so they get well publicized stories about how they'll happily beat a puppy to death for fiscal responsibility

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Then when they get a majority Wes Streeting will get to beat a puppy to death. And policy pledges like...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I love classics with a happy ending!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

e; The 29th dimension is the highest dimension for compact hyperbolic Coxeter polytopes that are bounded by a fundamental polyhedron, and the highest dimension that holds arithmetic discrete groups of reflections with noncompact unbounded fundamental polyhedra.

Thank goodness! I've been worrying about the 30th dimension for weeks now ;)

A polytope P in X = Sd, IEd or IHd is called a Coxeter polytope if all dihedral angles of P are integer submultiples of . <- that there is a Pi not rendered correctly.

I knew there was a reason that I didn't classify myself as a mathematician but more of a physicist despite being just 1 course different from an Applied Maths degree!

Reminds me of this:

quote:

Gregory:
Can’t do anything?. In a few brilliantly-conceived lines he’s summed up the human capacity for suffering, and its struggle for survival.

Hancock:
Oh, come now, Gregory; surely it was empty, devoid of any symbolism. You made a mistake, he fooled you for a moment. Analyse it. Bamboo. Hob-nail boots. Well, it doesn’t mean anything to me, mate; my aura of perception didn’t even wobble. Greta, what do you think?

Greta:
Well, it was like a revelation. It transported me to another plane. For the first time I saw the fifth-dimension. Like a golden flash, cleaving the skies; I was transported to the heights...of delirium.

From the late great Tony Hancock, The Poetry Society episode.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This interview is indeed incredible. Hit after hit after hit after hit.

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1668531905359142915

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

British sitcoms, famously gentle and not over the top. Allo Allo is very sutble, there are no absurd gags in it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I just post this at Baddiel anytime he pops up with any of his nonsense

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

There's a Popeye's and a Jollibee in Leicester now, but no Wendy's for miles around.

We HAD a Wendy's in Ilford but it closed down after a year. Mind you, for delivery at least it was Reassuringly Expensive for what is basically McD's.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
British subtlety Eddie, best in the world! You wouldn't find any Antoines de Cauneses or Jeans-Pauls Gaultier doing anything as subtle as this, would you?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

There was a Wendy's in Oxford St, London in the 80s because a couple of friends & myself used to spend many a long Saturday afternoon in there scoffing square burgers. I thought they were nicer than McD but then that was 40 years ago now!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve only had Wendy’s in Tokyo of all places, it was Alright.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1668625917906939906

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
gently caress gently caress

Cormac McCarthy died. Greatest writer of my lifetime. He was old and perhaps passed his best work, but still, goddamnit

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Huh! That’s my old headmaster - I didn’t know he was at Eton before.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

gently caress gently caress

Cormac McCarthy died. Greatest writer of my lifetime. He was old and perhaps passed his best work, but still, goddamnit

Nooooo

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/dorianlynskey/status/1668650418317008903?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

I know we've had a long string of similar stories, and that's exactly why I think we need to step back and contemplate for a moment how absolutely insane it is that Starmer's election campaign for 2024 seems to consist of explaining to the British electorate in detail how he will do nothing whatsoever to help them or make their lives more pleasant. Just a long, grinding effort to make the country's largest opposition party irrelevant/hostile to its interests.

All it's gonna take for the Tories at the next election is a couple of eye-catching giveaways and Labour will be totally scuppered as Keith splutters about financial responsibility while the newspapers suddenly no longer care about it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Comrade Fakename posted:

This interview is indeed incredible. Hit after hit after hit after hit.

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1668531905359142915
Ugh, Baddiel's Syndrome. There's a show I hadn't thought about for a long time, and with good reason. Just an unbearably smug, self-indulgent and worst of all unfunny vanity trip which had exactly one (1) memorable joke - trying to get the pointless dumbass American to pronounce "herb" properly.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/courtnewsuk/status/1668605416656236546?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Payndz posted:

Ugh, Baddiel's Syndrome. There's a show I hadn't thought about for a long time, and with good reason. Just an unbearably smug, self-indulgent and worst of all unfunny vanity trip which had exactly one (1) memorable joke - trying to get the pointless dumbass American to pronounce "herb" properly.

I wonder if anyone has put it online, in case I'm ever in a masochistic mood and want to torture myself. Never had Sky but boy oh boy does this sound stupid

Truly a hero for modern Britain. Make Lee from Blue King

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Home Bargains is choc full of Friends paraphenalia, I can't understand why! Do today's kids (ie anyone under 30) even remember that show?
I watched 1 episode - boring.
Years ago I saw David Schwimmer doing a live TV thing where he publicly humiliated a young woman in the audience who had probably been looking forward to that evening for ages, bloody oik. It was awful. She'd written him a fan letter and he asked if she was in the audience and she was obviously thrilled until the humiliation started.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Home Bargains is choc full of Friends paraphenalia, I can't understand why! Do today's kids (ie anyone under 30) even remember that show?
Years ago I saw David Schwimmer doing a live TV thing where he publicly humiliated a young woman in the audience who had probably been looking forward to that evening for ages, bloody oik. It was awful. She'd written him a fan letter and he asked if she was in the audience and she was obviously thrilled until the humiliation started.

It’s shockingly popular with teens and young people, don’t ask me why because I have no idea.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because nobody told them about how much better Seinfeld was (just don't check in on what any of the cast did later).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
My partition walls aren't as sound proof as they could be, and a few months ago the teenage daughter of my neighbour kept watching Friends at a late hour at too loud a volume.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

It's a show about a mythic age where people could live outside their parent's home and had free time. Of course zoomers love it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Because nobody told them about how much better Seinfeld was (just don't check in on what any of the cast did later).

People assure me that Seinfeld gets much better after the first 2 seasons but it'd have to, because Jerry Seinfeld doing stand-up at the beginning of episodes is the dirt worst. Observational comedy that makes Peter Kay bellowing about garlic bread seem like high art.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I had to force myself to finish the first season. The second season is a lot better, but the third season is when it becomes excellent.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Then when they get a majority Wes Streeting will get to beat a puppy to death.
Assuming any survive the fire.

Guavanaut posted:

There's a Popeye's and a Jollibee in Leicester now,
Popeye Jollibee's columns have really declined in quality given her supposedly radical upbringing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

I just post this at Baddiel anytime he pops up with any of his nonsense

what a nasty oval office

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Thanks for the advice, there's a lot I'm still absorbing.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone who was a student 2003-2015 will have every episode of friends indelibly seared into their memory. As freeview showed the entirey of friends on E4 on rolling repeat between 3-7pm throughout that period. Other notable serieses who occupied the same slot include: scrubs, gilmore girls(later in the period), hollyoaks, the Simpsons, either some kind of trek or stargate if you were lucky).
Having also worked at home bargains, their corporate strategy seems to be to buy any old container of shite if they're getting a discount.

Someone had 157 pallets of friends shite they needed to get off their dock/out their warehouse. Home Bargains will happily oblige at a discount.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

She kept saying boris was on a scholarship like he was poverty scum,,, but wasnt he in the bullingcunt club?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Jason Alexander and Julia Louis-Dreyfus are both lovely though tbf. Alexander even desperately tried to stop the Israel-Palestine conflict (we can all agree he didn't succeed, but he approached it from a humanitarian perspective as opposed to the "roll-over-Palestine-you-shits" one).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fumble posted:

but wasnt he in the bullingcunt club?
Yes, but surprisingly didn't compromise himself with enough pigs or cows.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fumble posted:

She kept saying boris was on a scholarship like he was poverty scum,,, but wasnt he in the bullingcunt club?

(That scholarship is means-tested; at best it proves he wasn't the stupidest person to attend Eton, and that's not really saying much.)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Went to see recently touring again punk band Algernon Cadwalladr tonight and ended up mentioning this thread/the forums to the mate I went with. Was quite difficult to explain but in trying to do so (including mentioning goonfund and Camrath's lovely fudge) really realised what a lovely and rare little community we have here. Hope you're all doing okay.

(also i cant wait for my fudge)

E: Seinfeld is 10x better than friends but Curb Your Enthusiasm is 10x better than Seinfeld. It's a crime it's not better loved in the UK cos it's a reasonably rare example of American TV really doing quite typically awkward British humour really, really well. Larry David's always an rear end in a top hat, but I reckon about 60% of the time he's absolutely right.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 14, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
lol at people doing the "not getting" friends and seinfeld. er. ok

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

rocket_Magnet posted:

Someone had 157 pallets of friends shite they needed to get off their dock/out their warehouse. Home Bargains will happily oblige at a discount.

It's largely this, there was some kind of anniversary of that show within the last year or so (I vaguely remember stupid tweets of "you can't make this anymore" and "the woke kids won't watch it anymore"), and now someone wants rid of the unsold excess

off out to home bargains and b&m myself now actually, maybe aldi and farmfoods too, really push the boat out

probably won't get any friends merch though, that show liked to punch down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Poundland had a whole lot of Legally Blonde branded stuff the other week, which was equally baffling in a "why now?" way