Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Saoshyant posted:

Yes. If you are seriously trying to bring new users into the site, at least replace the frontpage temporarily using a basic template with recent threads on the middle of the page, two icons to download the different mobile apps on the top, and a big "all this with a one time payment and no ads" button at the bottom. Basic stuff but it makes a huge difference.

Seriously. It is completely pointless to buy user recruiting ads only for people to 1) arrive, see a dead frontpage, and leave, or 2) find the forums but have them not work at all on their phones and no idea how to sort it easily

Heck, no effort mode: temporarily redirect the frontpage to the forums.

I am prepared to update the front page.
What are your thoughts on MS Publisher, and clip art... lots of clip art?

Edit to add: And. MiDi file of Jimmy Buffets "Cheeseburgers in paradise" playing in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Bananana posted:

Buddy, as long you make it clear that it's under construction you can go hog wild.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Bananana posted:

Edit to add: And. MiDi file of Jimmy Buffets "Cheeseburgers in paradise" playing in the background

Jimmy is highly litigious can you make it Rupert Holmes’s Escape

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

hello internet posted:

Wouldn’t bringing ad viewing redditors decimate the quality of posting here or am I doing a fine job of that myself?

Yeah this thread isn't making me laugh AT ALL

You stupid fuckers are typing too much like you actually care about the social media platform that you are addicted to and that you also share with white power nazis happily

Reddit going away completely would be amazing

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you're laughing? reddit was killed today and you're laughing?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
This place has always been happy to take your ten bucks and kick you out. The posting quality won't magically degrade. Plus $10 still weeds out a lot of kids.

Maybe we should have a scholarship fund if someone can prove they have a lot of posting potential though.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

bus hustler posted:

This place has always been happy to take your ten bucks and kick you out. The posting quality won't magically degrade. Plus $10 still weeds out a lot of kids.

Maybe we should have a scholarship fund if someone can prove they have a lot of posting potential though.
The problems started for Gary when he didn't get in to SomethingAwful. Only eBaumsworld was available, his ninth choice.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Grassy Knowles posted:

I have a chip tune of it, saved under file "Pina collada"

Edit:
https://youtu.be/TPlUfR8UH4g

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 13, 2023

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

hello internet posted:

Wouldn’t bringing ad viewing redditors decimate the quality of posting here or am I doing a fine job of that myself?
Yeah hopefully we can get an ad that filters people for sense of humor and then if they suck, they get banned.

Just like I did, from reddit, for the Hitler ad. :rip:

I'll try again tonight.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

an ad that says "come to my website to post with hitler" is definitely going to enter horseshoe theory territory when shown to the reddit userbase

e: oh wait, it's saying reddit is the hitler site, ok, that makes more sense

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lol I tried to do this one, but it wasn't approved. They went on to approve the one that called posting on reddit "posting with hitler" so I don't know wtf.

I did make this in case that was rejected. I wanted to make it say the words Something Awful somehow but I don't know how I'd work it in.

This is all way funnier and the best result.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Get the “Where’s the Beef?” Lady for the ad or gently caress right off.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

an ad that says "come to my website to post with hitler" is definitely going to enter horseshoe theory territory when shown to the reddit userbase

e: oh wait, it's saying reddit is the hitler site, ok, that makes more sense
Lol @ the idea of changing it to "without hitler" to make it less offensive.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
can the forum afford to book superhumman for an ad where he yells about something awful before jumping on some nails or whatever

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
reddit started going wrong when they added upvotes and downvotes instead of having a traditional bb forums style interface with posts arranged in chronological order

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

AARD VARKMAN posted:

can the forum afford to book superhumman for an ad where he yells about something awful before jumping on some nails or whatever

https://www.cameo.com/shoenice

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lol @ the idea of changing it to "without hitler" to make it less offensive.

see if they'll accept this one

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bathroom Surprise
Feb 15, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

Tony Award winning playwright Rupert Holmes?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Frogz posted:

I like it. You mean something like this?

Perfect, make it so!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Has the amount of log ins gone up in a meaningful way? The number of people ITT returning to old accounts is surprising and I'm curious if there's an actual exodus.

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...

Das Boo posted:

Has the amount of log ins gone up in a meaningful way? The number of people ITT returning to old accounts is surprising and I'm curious if there's an actual exodus.

I don't know about logins, but I've been lurking for about a decade due to ~reasons~ and I'm really just using this new influx of people as a thin cover to start posting trash again

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Das Boo posted:

I feel like the overlap here makes sense. Most of the people leaving are older accounts that have been using RIF or Apollo etc for years, and I'm gonna have to assume we're all old af on here too

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

the zeitgeist of reddit is one that reinforces and justifies a toxic social outlook, but on the other hand the down vote button is nice because you have an indicator for when you successfully piss someone off

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we've absorbed perhaps as many as 300 new users in the past day or so judging by the logged in users counter at the top

that leaves about 50 million more to recruit by my math

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

E Depois do Adeus posted:

the zeitgeist of reddit is one that reinforces and justifies a toxic social outlook, but on the other hand the down vote button is nice because you have an indicator for when you successfully piss someone off

red text is a bit more satisfying... yet costly I suppose.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Perhaps we should have a thread where the underage naked anime girl teaches you how to draw anime?? That could pull large numbers of wayward redditors???

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Frogz posted:

I like it. You mean something like this?

Yeah this is great, thank you.

Isko
May 20, 2008
One and a half days without reddit and I am jonesing for it. I totally understand making GBS threads on reddit here but there was just something crack like about it. Especially once you unsubscribe to most of the default subreddits, it becomes pretty amazing due to your ability to just cut out the vast majority of crap and just get a nearly infinite feed of what you are interested in. But that's also kind of a problem too so I'll gladly take this opportunity to give that a break and disconnect a little. I just need to figure out how I'm going to keep up to date on trending general/tech/gaming news. I get some of that stuff from YouTube and while Twitter might be one way to get it, I've never used it and don't really want to start now.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I use rif to scroll r/mechanicalgifs, r/specializedtools and r/toolgifs on the shitter. It took no time at all to train Instagram to show me the same stuff, but more of it. Prior to that I'd never looked at Instagram for anything other than posts from purple I know in person because I'm old.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Yeah I had Reddit super curated on my Apollo app and now I’m smoking cigarettes

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You know, you can just stop using the internet when you're out of stuff to read.

If I catch up on the threads I follow here and don't find any more worth following, I do something else. Works out pretty well!

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
When Reddit sends its posters, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending posters that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing r/funny. They’re bringing r/buttsharpies. They’re reposters. And some, I assume, are good bots.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

You know, you can just stop using the internet when you're out of stuff to read.

If I catch up on the threads I follow here and don't find any more worth following, I do something else. Works out pretty well!

Reported

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol crazy how all the big sites eventually poo poo themselves and a mass return to sa happens

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Isko posted:

One and a half days without reddit and I am jonesing for it

:lol:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I don't use the app and I always notice the number of people logged in to GBS, I just do, I know everything.

There's 1100 right now and we don't have anywhere near that number unless some huge event happens like trump gets covid or something

It's usually like 7 or 800 so something is actually happening for real

Omg that's hilarious

I just remembered the indictment haha
Nevermind
:D

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

a return to the glory days of posting awaits us :911:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mega64 posted:

This is kind of what I’m realizing after being intentionally disconnected from Reddit for a few days. Yes, Reddit has more content and more “opportunities” to post but it’s the same poo poo over and over. It’s the same AITA posts, the same relationship problems, the same questions about videogames, the same “What are some relationship GREEN flags!?” attempts at being original. It’s just a constant stream of time wasting mediocrity that’s just barely interesting enough just barely often enough to keep me scrolling.

I’m not quitting Reddit but I am going to leave some of the subs I’ve wasted the most time on and try to only focus on the ones that actually give me interesting stuff, mostly local subs and very hobby specific ones.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Lol,

"In an internal memo sent Monday afternoon to Reddit staff, CEO Steve Huffman addressed the recent blowback directed at the company, telling employees to block out the “noise” and that the ongoing blackout of thousands of subreddits will eventually pass."

Per The Berge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber
Redditors are some of the worst people I've ever had the pleasure I've meeting. Every one of them has been incredibly unpleasant.