Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I've been almost exclusively a pants kind of person for the last 10 years but since working out I think I got some seriously good-looking legs. I should also look for shorts to show off my accomplishments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I’ve had a pair of Chacos for over 20 years now, they’ve carried me across 4 continents and are goddamn amazing, best footwear purchase ever. Yes I’m a grungy outdoorsy white dude from the PacNW, how’d you guess?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Thaddius the Large posted:

I’ve had a pair of Chacos for over 20 years now, they’ve carried me across 4 continents and are goddamn amazing, best footwear purchase ever. Yes I’m a grungy outdoorsy white dude from the PacNW, how’d you guess?

They really are the best. I’m year 5 of my current pair after I wore through a strap on my college pair. They make great flip flops too, which I think I’m on pair 3 in the past 20 years.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
gently caress.

https://twitter.com/PublishersWkly/status/1668699857706532865

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Private equity group killed Instapot, taking it into bankruptcy.

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1668631268073050115

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ahhh poo poo

Rip to a real one.

Will never forget when my highschool friend group of edgy theater kids decided to read the road one weekend and report back on Monday for an impromptu book club and none of us really knew what to say.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Even better, it's the same group that bought Pyrex so they bankrupted two companies!

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

i still don't understand how it's legal for PE to do this. leveraged buyouts have never made sense and bankrupting a company to pay themselves also doesn't.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It's never enough that companies can continue to make the same, decent product at a sustainable rate while making marginal improvements over time. An instant pot company and a food storage company bankrupted by vultures.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FizFashizzle posted:

Ahhh poo poo

Rip to a real one.

Will never forget when my highschool friend group of edgy theater kids decided to read the road one weekend and report back on Monday for an impromptu book club and none of us really knew what to say.

The Road was an Oprah Book Club pick. Think about how many wine moms must have read it.

I had no idea McCarthy was that old, I didn't think he was young or anything, but I figured he was my parent's age or a little older.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Neil Armbong posted:

i still don't understand how it's legal for PE to do this. leveraged buyouts have never made sense and bankrupting a company to pay themselves also doesn't.

Does it matter if it's legal or not when the only possible repercussion is just a fine?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

We’ve literally decided as a society that corporations have no responsibility other than funneling money to shareholders.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

seiferguy posted:

It's never enough that companies can continue to make the same, decent product at a sustainable rate while making marginal improvements over time. An instant pot company and a food storage company bankrupted by vultures.

This is what I’m so down about these days. Can’t just be a company that makes a steady profit, everything has to be bigger and more bloated so number go up. Watching Reddit and the Athletic and now this get blown up because a few rich assholes want more money is depressing.

dirty shrimp money posted:

Does it matter if it's legal or not when the only possible repercussion is just a fine?

At times like this I reflect on how China put to death two guys and sentenced three others to life in prison for selling contaminated formula. You don’t gotta hand it to them, but…

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Reddit has never actually recorded a profit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

We’ve literally decided as a society that corporations have no responsibility other than funneling money to shareholders.

I was listening to the Behind the Bastards on Jack Welch and how he is to blame for all this corporate non-sense. Perhaps the funniest/saddest part was that before him, in the 50s and 60s and even into a good chunk of the 70s, GE had in its mission statements that the customer always comes first. Second was the workers, third was management and the shareholders would be the fourth ones compensated. Adjusted for inflation, a GE factory worker today would be making close to 120k (not straight salary, but salary plus benefits). As usual, it was Reagan's fault and now we have this nonsense where its better to bankrupt a company and cut thousands of jobs than it is to make a stable company with modest, but continuous growth.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

swickles posted:

I was listening to the Behind the Bastards on Jack Welch and how he is to blame for all this corporate non-sense. Perhaps the funniest/saddest part was that before him, in the 50s and 60s and even into a good chunk of the 70s, GE had in its mission statements that the customer always comes first. Second was the workers, third was management and the shareholders would be the fourth ones compensated. Adjusted for inflation, a GE factory worker today would be making close to 120k (not straight salary, but salary plus benefits). As usual, it was Reagan's fault and now we have this nonsense where its better to bankrupt a company and cut thousands of jobs than it is to make a stable company with modest, but continuous growth.

I had no idea that he was the guy that was responsible for stack rankings, but once I found that out I knew that I would hate his guts regardless of anything else.

I'm sure there are professions where that might be beneficial (sales), but it seems so unnecessarily cruel and creates an adversarial work environment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is the same thing that killed Toys 'R Us, isn't it?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

Yeah I listened to this too. Great series.

Like obviously there have never been really ethical corporations, but there were occasionally corps that felt responsible for their workforce and tried to do a good job.

Everything now is a loving smash and grab job, stealing everything that isn’t nailed down.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

drat, and I'm right in the middle of reading one of his books for the first time. Is this my fault? :ohdear:

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Air Skwirl posted:

yep, acquired by PE who saddled them with the loans they took on to buy them and then also charged 'management fees' that drained their cash to essentially pay themselves. it's a heads they win, tails you lose situation where they get a poo poo load of cash for no risk.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

:10bux: for a Jack & Coke Zero and another :10bux: to shitpost said pic to this thread. I love modern technology.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

seiferguy posted:

the pursuit of "endless growth" is killing everything, yes

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is now the time for me to finally get an instant pot?

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I just don't get how these companies keep getting loans. Surely these banks know they aren't going to get that money back and will have to eat a loss on their books.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Reddit has never actually recorded a profit.

Because any money they made was immediately plowed into expansion, yes. It’s enshittification and it’s solely to make the ghouls at the top money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Is now the time for me to finally get an instant pot?

it's never a wrong time to get an instant pot

also much like hostess, the product/brand is too valuable to just disappear, so regardless of bankruptcy it's very likely that some company will emerge on the other side and keep selling them.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Air Skwirl posted:

Neil Armbong posted:

yep, acquired by PE who saddled them with the loans they took on to buy them and then also charged 'management fees' that drained their cash to essentially pay themselves. it's a heads they win, tails you lose situation where they get a poo poo load of cash for no risk.

Toys R Us was also horribly managed at literally every level and had a loving horrible culture that drove away employees and customers by its last 6-10 years.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I just don't get how these companies keep getting loans. Surely these banks know they aren't going to get that money back and will have to eat a loss on their books.

I had the same thought. Why would a bank ever loan a VC money?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fartknocker posted:

Toys R Us was also horribly managed at literally every level and had a loving horrible culture that drove away employees and customers by its last 6-10 years.

Yeah, but Toys R Us was bought by Bain Capital 12 years before it closed. (2004 vs 2018)

It's entirely the vultures fault.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

They went to Stanford! They had a televised Ted Talk!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

it's never a wrong time to get an instant pot

also much like hostess, the product/brand is too valuable to just disappear, so regardless of bankruptcy it's very likely that some company will emerge on the other side and keep selling them.

Yeah, but like Pyrex and other brands they consolidated, they'll gut the quality to live off the name. See the heat shattering stories that cropped up like 5 years ago because they switched to cheaper glass.

Bird in a Blender posted:

My understanding of it is the banks do this through senior loans. What that is is a first claim in the event of a bankruptcy, so they get paid off first before any creditors or stockholders. So their exposure is very low. They're also then turning around and selling that loan to investors because hellworld.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

My sister's Instant Pot came in clutch when we made barbacoa tacos on Sunday.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tommy Tuberville hosed over his colleagues a bit today by loving off to Trump's little party instead of sticking around to block a vote.

Which man, that's just funny.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kalli posted:

Tommy Tuberville hosed over his colleagues a bit today by loving off to Trump's little party instead of sticking around to block a vote.

Which man, that's just funny.

Did he say he had to go to the bathroom then slip out the back door?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1668730678727577601?s=20

Wonka_no_stop_dont.gif

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Trump defunding the police when Biden rode that platform to office is some 5D chess poo poo.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I thought living in a dying empire would have more like radioactive mutants or something. This is lame as hell. Just collapsing bridges and a government focus-grouped and bribed into paralysis.

https://twitter.com/davidshepardson/status/1668644897060954115?s=20

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

LeeMajors posted:

I thought living in a dying empire would have more like radioactive mutants or something. This is lame as hell. Just collapsing bridges and a government focus-grouped and bribed into paralysis.

"In half a mile, jump the highway like in Speed."

assuming you have Speed trap notifications on

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
MTG arms poppin? Great tone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

God, Mayor Pete loving sucks. There was a Wired interview that was just fawning over how “smart” he is, and this is the best he can come up with.