Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Pretty sure the RG35XX does video out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
Can you video out with the retroid 3 with the usb c, or do you need to use the smaller usb port in the back to video out?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The Retroid 3+ has HDMI Mini out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It does but it doesn't have bluetooth, so no external controllers.

These things should have link cable functions, because getting 2 for 2 kids and having a way for them to play multiplayer would be cool. I'm still hoping that rumoured 35XX+ with wifi is real, because I feel like I'd prefer the bigger shell of the 35XX over the smaller Miyoo.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Based on what you guys said, most of the hardware can "kinda" do it but not seamless like you put a switch on a switch dock and start playing co-op games with 2 wireless controllers. So I think next generation of android handheld will offer than.

Also can Android box connect to Xbox S/PS4/PS5/Shield controllers?

edit:
Ross said the Odin dock has really bad lag, so I think we are still a long way from handheld+home dual solution. The dock is not even on the Ayn store anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK81C6EHjrs

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 12, 2023

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I really kinda want an RG nano. Someone talk me out of it. Or don't.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

otter posted:

Screen aspect ratio is not identical to the GB.....Anbernic could put out a GB grey color...

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Screen aspect ratio is not identical to the GB.....Anbernic could put out a GB grey color...

I do like that aspect ratio. I am sure the screen in practice is too small to be playable for more than 20 minutes for me.
The other one I have my eyes on is the D-007. That thing looks nice and seems it will be around the same price as the RG Nano

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

stephenthinkpad posted:

Can all the 100+ android handheld handle tv out? Maybe Retroid and Abnernic can offer TV dock and wireless controller in a bundle. Is there any lag for the android solution?

The RG353 family of handhelds all have built in HDMI support that works pretty well and support Bluetooth controllers as well(up to 8 at once in fact from my recollection) so I'd say they're a pretty decent option for this sort of thing

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

otter posted:

The funkey s is only 15 dollars more

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Meaning it's completely okay for you to get both

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

stephenthinkpad posted:

Seem to be a wide open market. Somebody should put a highend snapdragon chip in an android TV box and sell it with 2 8bitdo pro knock-off controllers.

Last shield box was from before the pandemic.
There are a billion of android TV boxes that have been repurposed as "super console" boxes with EMUElec and that's exactly what they do. None of them have snapdragons, because snapdragons are expensive and EMUElec doesn't support them, they all have AMLogic chips. Anyway the downsides are:

1) The controllers they come with are always terrible (either really bad wireless PS2 knockoffs are really bad wired SNES knockoffs). You will want to use your own controllers, assuming what you have works with these things.

2) Their default configuration is bad, a lot of games don't work, especially arcade games, the 3DO always being some mahjong game, etc., bad scaling defaults, tons of duplicate games, PS1 games with no audio, etc. etc. This is all fixable but it will take you a bit of time to do so. Obviously if you just want to plug and play some random games for a few hours and then put it away in the closet none of this will matter.

(a common error message)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdIYpCE1WrU&t=218s
(video timelink to the error)

On the plus side all these EMUElec boxes have pretty much taken over the old "Pandoras Box" models, which were much worse in terms of configuration and games and interface and usability. They even have some arcade sticks coming with these EMUElec boxes built in, instead of the old Pandoras Boxes.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 13, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

stephenthinkpad posted:

Seem to be a wide open market. Somebody should put a highend snapdragon chip in an android TV box and sell it with 2 8bitdo pro knock-off controllers.

Last shield box was from before the pandemic.

It's been tried before.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Silly Burrito posted:

It's been tried before.

I can't escape

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Silly Burrito posted:

It's been tried before.

It did not mean life

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_K4lhcIPC0

Seriously, though, it looks neat but it's not impulse buy priced and the original funkey s beats it in almost every aspect

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Silly Burrito posted:

It's not really hard at all to set something up with Retropie on your PC/Pi. You download the image, burn it to an SD card, and then add the games you want to play. All the emulators are included.

But for set it and forget it, yeah, the old NES/SNES/Genesis consoles are about the best way to accomplish that, and even then you can still add more games to them really easily using hakchi2-ce (https://github.com/teamshinkansen/hakchi2-ce/releases/).

Forgive my ignorance, but you use your PC to load up the SD card with emulator and roms and then use that where/how?

I’m tempted to get a handheld but I’m not sure how well I’ll do with the size and screen size. And technically supposed to be for the kid(s) 😅

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Thinking about jumping into this world with a Retroid Pocket 3+. I haven't owned a console since my GameCube disappeared in 2008. I'm tired of playing on my PC, which is only ideal for RTS and wild bursts of multiplayer.

Is it best to order directly from their site? Does it really take 1 - 3 months to arrive?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

njsykora posted:

It does but it doesn't have bluetooth, so no external controllers.

These things should have link cable functions, because getting 2 for 2 kids and having a way for them to play multiplayer would be cool. I'm still hoping that rumoured 35XX+ with wifi is real, because I feel like I'd prefer the bigger shell of the 35XX over the smaller Miyoo.

The 3+ does have bluetooth, I've hooked mine up to my TV and used an 8bitdo Pro 2 to play games.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is Adam Image still the best thing for the 280V or can I install GarlicOS on it?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but you use your PC to load up the SD card with emulator and roms and then use that where/how?

There is a first start install to Retropie at https://retropie.org.uk/docs/First-Installation/ but just in a nutshell using a Raspberry Pi as an example:

1. Download the image of Retropie that is premade for your Raspberry Pi at https://retropie.org.uk/download/

2. Use a program like Balana Etcher or Win32DiskImager to burn that image to an SD Card.

3. Insert the SD card into the Raspberry Pi and power it on. It will expand to use all the space on the SD card and boot into Emulation Station when complete. You can also attach a controller to the Pi now as it will help you set it up.

4. Once it’s installed, you can transfer your games over to the Pi in a couple of ways. I normally use SFTP and WinSCP but there are a couple of other ways too.

5. Once the games are transferred, reboot the Pi, it will pick up the games, and you can play from there.

There’s a lot more that can be configured, but these are just the basic steps. The links have more info, but if it looks daunting, it really isn’t. Good luck!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

bowmore posted:

Is Adam Image still the best thing for the 280V or can I install GarlicOS on it?

It's still Adam I think, I've not heard of anyone tinkering with putting GOS on the jz4470 devices

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Yeah it’s still Adam. Someone ITT was doing tweaks to it a while back that might be useful.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
This is kind of tangential, but I just wanna tell everyone I set up Moonlight on my Vita 1000 and I've been playing Caves of Qud on my sofa and it loving rules. :colbert:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fwiw the ROG Ally is real good. It is very comfortable to hold.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw the ROG Ally is real good. It is very comfortable to hold.

It definitely appears that if you want a Steam Deck that's not a Steam Deck, it's the device you want, no question. Or maybe if you're just willing to blow that much to upgrade over the Deck.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Glad the Ally is good. Hope it does well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Explosionface posted:

It definitely appears that if you want a Steam Deck that's not a Steam Deck, it's the device you want, no question. Or maybe if you're just willing to blow that much to upgrade over the Deck.

Yeah this. The screen is fantastic VRR absolutely helps.

I loaded up Fortnite just to test out the GPU and ended up winning the match. The controls are really good and it feels completely natural.

The included launcher is actually decent now as well. It automatically picked up the games I installed.

I’m gonna do some switch emulation later and load up BoTW. Maybe I’ll actually beat it vs stalling out on my switch.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
*Got a RG Nano discount code from ali official store *

*Begringingly ordered a blue version.*

FYI 6 bux off

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

ProperCoochie posted:

Thinking about jumping into this world with a Retroid Pocket 3+. I haven't owned a console since my GameCube disappeared in 2008. I'm tired of playing on my PC, which is only ideal for RTS and wild bursts of multiplayer.

Is it best to order directly from their site? Does it really take 1 - 3 months to arrive?

I ordered the 3+ with DHL and the case and grip later with 4px (slow shipping option) and once they shipped it was about a week for each (DHL a little shorter - in Seattle so not sure how much that affects the time). I think the delays a lot of people complained about were delays at the start of the year with Chinese New Year holiday and I think some other production issues/shortages. It took a month for my order to ship ordered in February but that was just because of those problems and I don't think that it still happening. I'm guessing that 90 day shipping message is more for island/remote countries that take much longer to get to by slow boat.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 14, 2023

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Silly Burrito posted:

There is a first start install to Retropie at https://retropie.org.uk/docs/First-Installation/ but just in a nutshell using a Raspberry Pi as an example:

1. Download the image of Retropie that is premade for your Raspberry Pi at https://retropie.org.uk/download/

2. Use a program like Balana Etcher or Win32DiskImager to burn that image to an SD Card.

3. Insert the SD card into the Raspberry Pi and power it on. It will expand to use all the space on the SD card and boot into Emulation Station when complete. You can also attach a controller to the Pi now as it will help you set it up.

4. Once it’s installed, you can transfer your games over to the Pi in a couple of ways. I normally use SFTP and WinSCP but there are a couple of other ways too.

5. Once the games are transferred, reboot the Pi, it will pick up the games, and you can play from there.

There’s a lot more that can be configured, but these are just the basic steps. The links have more info, but if it looks daunting, it really isn’t. Good luck!

Cheers, it does seem a bit daunting but I’ll see if I can get things together enough to try it.

Was looking at the powkiddy x70 for size, screen size, and portability (I do travel some for work), I’m a fairly big guy (I guess?) and my eyes aren’t getting any younger. Was steered away from that, haven’t had a chance to try digging back through everything again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFqD6eLLJrI

sure

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That thing's going to be $200 isn't it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Cheers, it does seem a bit daunting but I’ll see if I can get things together enough to try it.

Understandable, but it’s gotten so much easier and better in the last few years, it’s really not difficult at all.

There is a thread for it here as well to learn a bit more: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831406&perpage=40&noseen=1

You’ve got this! 😁

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Finally, it is no longer our moral duty to own the Jaguar :v:

EDIT: Wrong thread

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 14, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I can't tell from doing some google work and I've never used Yuzu but is it possible in Yuzu to change the button prompts from switch ones to ones that match the xbox controller?

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I think that's dependent on finding a specific mod for specific games

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Ahhh that looks so cute, I want it!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
More a first party retro console, so I hope this is close enough to the correct thread

I finally have my vita 1XXX setup with HENkaku, what are y’alls must have tweaks/homebrews for Vita and Adrenaline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
There's this thread too!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908