Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sockser posted:

I need to build a dedicated piece of furniture for this behemoth and rearrange my entire print room

Please. Don't build dedicated furniture for "a" printer. That printer will not be forever. Build something nice, don't build it "for that printer." Unless you're gonna do it hack and slash, and have it done in two hours... build something ~real~ that'll service lots of things in the future.

It'a also the surest way to build your printer in a place that makes it hard to work on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Nerobro posted:

Please. Don't build dedicated furniture for "a" printer. That printer will not be forever. Build something nice, don't build it "for that printer." Unless you're gonna do it hack and slash, and have it done in two hours... build something ~real~ that'll service lots of things in the future.

It'a also the surest way to build your printer in a place that makes it hard to work on.

Right now my other 3 FDM printers are set up on a very sketchy pile of ikea tables, my resin printers are chilling on my old desk, and my electronics workbench/this neptune are on my friend's old desk, so it'd be a piece of furniture for all my FDM printers, but I need to build it because of this monster

All that really means is building a countertop in there that's high enough that the Neptune with filament will fit underneath. I don't think I'd be able to walk around in my printer closet if I made a table big enough for it to sit on

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I needed to setup an actual filament storage solution. I went with the $15 Ikea Vesken. It’s ok, it doesn’t handle this much weight super well but I don’t plan on moving it much. The price was fantastic. Assembly sucked and I had to watch several YouTube videos that clearly cut at the difficult part to make it look easy, but I got it put together with only some bleeding.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It never occurred to me to use the Vesken that way :thunk:

Going vertical is absolutely the right move for storage.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I've got four of the narrow 4-shelf ones set up that way. Comfortably fits 4 1kg rolls per shelf.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Chainclaw posted:

I needed to setup an actual filament storage solution. I went with the $15 Ikea Vesken. It’s ok, it doesn’t handle this much weight super well but I don’t plan on moving it much. The price was fantastic. Assembly sucked and I had to watch several YouTube videos that clearly cut at the difficult part to make it look easy, but I got it put together with only some bleeding.

I have 2 of those, they went together easily and are sturdy enough with a dozen+ rolls on each. And yeah, the cost can't be beat.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We somehow bought a house without checking to see if the guys wife did the "dishwasher delete kitchen remodel mod"

Our current drying rack is this silicone mat thing that is just a puddle of rancid water for most of the day

Can I just print a better one that drains the water to a reservoir on one side in black TPU, since I have brand new roll I've never used

mewse
May 2, 2006

Is there something similar to the fuzzy skin thing in prusaslicer that I could thicken a model in x/y but not Z? I printed 3 of these guitar parts last night and the walls are paper thin

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hadlock posted:

We somehow bought a house without checking to see if the guys wife did the "dishwasher delete kitchen remodel mod"

Our current drying rack is this silicone mat thing that is just a puddle of rancid water for most of the day

Can I just print a better one that drains the water to a reservoir on one side in black TPU, since I have brand new roll I've never used

An entire mat all in one piece? Probably not. If things are being done in one piece whatever the size of that thing that is being printed, the printer itself needs to be bigger to contain it and then a little bit bigger on top of that to move stuff around to print all lengths of the model. Printers of that size do exist, but they're $STUPID prices and typically for industrial applications. last time I had an apartment with one of those things I just went to Target or Wal-Mart or whatever and bought a $10 drying rack, then propped up one side of it up a little bit with a cut off 2x4 to tilt the drain end over the edge of our sink.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was going to print it in 2 x 230mm² and a third smaller bit that fills the gap to the wall. Presumably the proportion of water that drips between the two mats will be less than what drips on it and I'll just deal with that vs having a stagnant puddle of water all the time

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

mewse posted:

Is there something similar to the fuzzy skin thing in prusaslicer that I could thicken a model in x/y but not Z? I printed 3 of these guitar parts last night and the walls are paper thin

Yes, Advanced > XY Size Compensation. But the holes will also get smaller.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
If your freshly washed dishes are dripping rancid water you may want to review your cleaning method.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Hadlock posted:

I was going to print it in 2 x 230mm² and a third smaller bit that fills the gap to the wall. Presumably the proportion of water that drips between the two mats will be less than what drips on it and I'll just deal with that vs having a stagnant puddle of water all the time

Like bird food bathtub said, you'd be better off finding something off the shelf as opposed to making one custom.

Although, if the sky were the limit you could have someone FDM print a mold or form of some kind and cast your drying mat out of 2 part silicone or some other low durometer material.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Is PCBWAY the best place to get clear SLA printed parts?

They're charging like $40 a piece where Xonetry wanted $300.

Looks like they do a decent job at getting good transparency.

Building a pair of UltrasIm PS2s and wanted to go fancy for shits & giggles.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nerobro posted:

Lol. why on earth not? I built a decent cabinet for my printer in my old place, where it lived happily for 3 years. I tossed it out when I moved (had limited truck space) and it took me forever to find anything comparable and I regretted throwing it out.
Building custom furniture for your workspace is a great idea for making your space more usable.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think there's anything wrong with making a dedicated thing to put your printers on especially if you have that many.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I've been messing around with printing minis on my Creality L200-H. I originally bought the machine for printing intricate fixtures for work holding and mold making for my side gig, but it's way more fun to print strange random stuff.

also, I think I need to dial in the exposure and some other stuff.

weregoat. tiny fella.

mewse
May 2, 2006

BMan posted:

Yes, Advanced > XY Size Compensation. But the holes will also get smaller.

I didn't do the reprint but I tried this in the slicer last night and it made the walls 4 perimeters instead of 2. It seems like it will work like a charm, thanks for the tip!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

TL;DR: Yes, have a dedicated workspace. Do not have a "Geeetech I3p wardrobe in the corner of your room".

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Lol. why on earth not? I built a decent cabinet for my printer in my old place, where it lived happily for 3 years. I tossed it out when I moved (had limited truck space) and it took me forever to find anything comparable and I regretted throwing it out.
Building custom furniture for your workspace is a great idea for making your space more usable.

I glad you built something nice. I'm sad to hear you had to let it go.

I've seen more abandonded 3d printer cabinets than I've seen 3d printers in the furniture built for them, in something like a 10:1 ratio. I've even seen at least two people abaondon printing entirely becuase their furniture projects failed. This is the interwebs, I didn't type a multi page disertation on workshop practice.

Building a workspace is a top tier move. Building easily reconfigured and flexible bench is amazing. And I'm not takign shots at that. In fact, I'd encourage it. Pre-cut countertops are (were, last I looked) cheap at the local home center, and make lovely workspaces. Heck, the desk I'm typing on now is a door on top of two filing cabinets.

Building a custom floor standing cabinet for your ender 3, is not a top tier move. Heck, many of the enclosure builds I see are "end of the road" for that printer. And often the desire for an enclosure turns into "i'm buidling a cabinet" which then saddles someone with a big thing that's not finished and a printer they won't use becuase.. well the project isn't finished.

Since we're there, here's what happens, and.. I suppose ways to avoid "I litterally built myself into a corner" problems. If you're going to do things for printing, build infrastructure for 3d printing (or hobby/shop space in general). Don't build for "a 3d printer". Have power. Have a toolbox. Have lighting. Have a fire extinguisher. Have a clean workbench big enough to work on the printer. Have air cleaning. Throw up some foam blocks on the wall to keep it quieter.

People building furniture for printers, are often doing it for ~their first~ printer. Your first printer isn't going to be your last printer. That is key. Putting lots of effort into supporting that printer is gonna lock you into that printer.

Before you start building, have a plan for working on the machine. Either the printer needs to come out easily, and you need a clear workbench handy, or the thing needs to be on wheels and have access doors that don't require screws to open. Anything that is an extra step to working on things, is gonna kill your printer. If you're going to seperate the PSU, or controllers, make sure there's connectors, and a plan for operating the pritner easily outside the enclosure. It needs to be ~dead~ easy. So easy you could talk your parrot through doing it.

Printer, Filament, tools, need to at most be ajacent, building them together is a poor choice, it locks you in, and makes a barrier for replacing things with better tools. You're going to have more filament than you plan for. Your tool choices will change. There will be the desire to build specific for that allen key, and THAT side cutter holders for your printer.. you will not re-design your holder to accomadate the next tool you pick up becuase the last one rounded, chiped, or bent. And now you have a mess. Plan filament storage, don't integrate it with the printer. Printers are big and bulky enough as is. Do you really want your filament storage "right there"? I have a seperate place I keep my filament in, and I keep the 2-3-4 rolls I need handy.

Rad-daddio posted:

Yeah I don't think there's anything wrong with making a dedicated thing to put your printers on especially if you have that many.
When people have lots of printers. They have shelves. Or benches. And a bench for working on printers they picked up off the shelf, to work on. When they do have cabinets, it's cabinets of shelves, not custom fit things to printers. Furniture will last for decades. 3d printers are younger than the kitchen counter I have mine on. (Quite litterally, they were built in the 1960's)

In general, workspaces need to be generic, unless it's a production enviroment.

And if you have all these problems solved, and you know better. Awesome, show off that cabinet.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Lol, ok.
That is a really weird take, but ok.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Thats an awfully big generalization. Good advice in general, but awfully generalized.

Anyway, no more ordering from west3d unless I have to. Ordered from fabreeko, matterhacker, and west3d within 10 minutes Thursday evening. Fabreeko and MH had stuff in my mailbox Monday morning. West had a tracking number end of day on Monday, and ETA of Friday. :( All standard shipping and roughly the same type of stuff.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Tbf, my first "dedicated 3d printer furniture" was a recycled bathroom cabinet that I bought from habitat for humanity thrift store and it lasted me over ten years.

It worked great for my scrappy little Solidoodle 2, and I had my other bigger machine on it until we remodeled the home office.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

3D Printers: subjective home built furniture opinion chat

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

What kicked this off was me crying at how big the Neptune Max is, and honestly, I think the only furniture you could put it on top of is a medium-sized coffee table, or make sure your other horizontal surfaces are high enough that you can stuff it underneath on the floor.

You cannot grasp the physical size of the Max until you see it in person. It could print a 1:1 model of a Prusa MK3 including a spool mounted on top. It's obscene.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
TBF it's valid advice but also kinda an overreaction?

Like yeah absolutely building a cabinet to hold exactly one Neptune 3 is going to burn you when suddenly you want a different printer and it's 5mm larger in one direction
But also I think 80% of people who say "I'm going to build a table for the printer" just mean... a generic table that isn't hyperspecific. It's the other 20% that end up telling their Bad Table Idea story on the internet so there's a sample bias here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just let people do what they want. cheesus rice

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I got a sweet deal on a printer but built a space for it kinda wrong, I was too excited and blew my chance to stay in this hobby :sigh:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

BadMedic posted:

TBF it's valid advice but also kinda an overreaction?

Like yeah absolutely building a cabinet to hold exactly one Neptune 3 is going to burn you when suddenly you want a different printer and it's 5mm larger in one direction
But also I think 80% of people who say "I'm going to build a table for the printer" just mean... a generic table that isn't hyperspecific. It's the other 20% that end up telling their Bad Table Idea story on the internet so there's a sample bias here.

Nope, you're right. Lots of people build hobby/workspaces for their stuff, and it's all just fine. There's a specific set of sentances that lead to .... abandoned cabinets. And that ALWAYS starts out with what I read here. Do I think it's 20% telling them not to? No. In fact, I can't remember the last time someone else stepped in to warn people off of this. I also can't count the number of lack tables I've seen places because "we were goign to do a lack enclosure" usually acompanied by a cardboard box of printed parts. (It's north of 20 examples.)

The "there's not one more MM in any direction" cabinet is... hilariously common. Heck to small for the printer they designed, is common. EG: they need to take it apart to get their printer out.

Yeah, the Neptune 5 is gonna need some special acomadation. It would fit on my desk... becuase it's a door. But if you build a cabinet for it, if you end up with a Voron 350, or even a 500 CoreXY machine, you now have a big honking hole that you're not going to use very well. But the general "hey, dont' specialize your workspace" needs to be said from time to time. And said LOUD. Same as "you really shouldn't be using rafts all the time".

So i suppose the real advice is "Plan it very carefully, Plan it's move to a new space, plan it with the future in mind, plan it with maintaince in mind." But... lets be real here... the sort of person who is going to do all that right, has already built it and is showing it off. The best ones I've seen have the printer on sliding rails, or notches the feet sit in when it gets hualed out to work on. The worst are those that integrate the machine into the enclosure and make it so you can't work on it. Somewhere in the middle are the ones you need to unscrew panels to get to the printer out.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I got a sweet deal on a printer but built a space for it kinda wrong, I was too excited and blew my chance to stay in this hobby :sigh:

A friend of mine.. bought an ender 3. Actually same guy who helped me get the ender 3 pro. He had success. Got lost in the mire that was (is) online 3dp advice. Moved his printer down to his basement. Bought a bunch of lack tables. Spent most of a month printing extensions to make the lack enclosure fit his printer. Then started taking other advice, and got worried about his PSU. Then his mainboard. Then his display... spent lots of money moving those around. Ended up moving his spool to the outside of hte enclosure, then had to deal with feeding issues. All of this without acutally buying panels, and being worried they'd catch fire.

Now, anytime something happened, he had to get the PSU disconnected, and the display disconnected if he wanted to move the printer to reach the mainboard. And becuase his feeder went through the rack, he also had to unload the hot end. It doesn't sound like much, but every little bit hurts when it comes to working on these things.

He had octoprint setup, but ran into it's issues with streaming speed. He also is the genesis of my hatred of teaching tech. As following TT's direction we found that the Z stepper cant' take the silent driver... which was never mentioned in the video.

He'd turn out the occational nice print. But doing anything to the printer meant negotiating around this giant ~thing~. Instead of having a managable, few pound thing, to work on. He burnt himself out, because he built it into an enclosure.

My other stories aren't quite so connected to me, beucase I always ran into them long after the fact. Usually when talking about playing with 3d printing and them being done with it after getting.. there. "Yeah, I did everything, and even built this really neat cabinet for it. But I still couln't get it to work right...." Enclosures , especially freestanding ones, seem to be a 3d printing dead end. The ones that don't dead end, end up with a funny shaped cabinet that's holding anything but, 3d printers.

I'm done really? Dont' gently caress up your hobby by building furniture for an ephemeral device. Do build things that make things better for you in the long term. And when you do, make them nice.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Have nice table.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

dexefiend posted:

Have nice table.

That feels vaguely like a thread title.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
yeah I dunno when I see someone say they're going to build something for their printer I imagine that they're going to Ikea to pick up a bamboo tabletop and some trestle legs, not embed their Sovol SV06 in the Lament Configuration

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

A lot of people, self included, see the lack enclosure early after getting a printer and say "OOOO I'M GONNA DO THAT" and, as Nerobro said, end up with a box full of parts and never actually building it (again, self included)

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Chainclaw posted:

I used an ikea pegboard and printed a shitload of mounts for mine:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Love the cat portrait.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Talorat posted:

Now this is a space that could hold at least one neptune 3 max

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Talorat posted:

But where do the other 30 rolls go.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I did the LACK enclosure but didn't externally mount the power supply because gently caress disconnecting that poo poo every time I want to do anything to or on the printer itself. Just didn't make any sense to me. I figured I'd just replace the PS if it ever flaked out.

I put side panels on a BROR shelf section which made a fantastic enclosure for a Prusa Mini. Lots of space without being too much space.

But my go-to is putting a printer on a rolly flat-top cart. Machine up top, supplies and tools down below. That way I can reconfigure if I need to, and when the machine moves on there's always a use for a good wheeled flat-top work cart.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Arcsech posted:

This is contingent on wanting to continue to do software work for large companies and uh, I’m not the OP but my motivation to get out of software dev is mostly to do with wanting to get as far away from corporate bullshit as I can and consulting sounds like the opposite of that.

I spent most of the 2010s working ~25 hours a week for startups and not caring at all about what they're doing and Simply Cashing Checks. YMMV.

The Eyes Have It posted:

It never occurred to me to use the Vesken that way :thunk:

Going vertical is absolutely the right move for storage.

Vertical is nice, but consider a little forwards, too.

I built this the other day, locks into 12" wire shelving and uses 3/4" PVC to hold it up. Thought about ditching the shelf entirely, but this was good enough.

Print quality kinda sucks because I was dialing in the new printer at the same time, but it's fine(tm). I can throw the (very simple) STLs on Printables if somebody wants them.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 13, 2023

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Talorat posted:

This is wonderful. Seconding the cat portrait comment.

Rexxed posted:

But where do the other 30 rolls go.

On the bed of the neptune. Obv.

The Eyes Have It posted:

But my go-to is putting a printer on a rolly flat-top cart. Machine up top, supplies and tools down below. That way I can reconfigure if I need to, and when the machine moves on there's always a use for a good wheeled flat-top work cart.

This is good decision making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I fired up Fusion 360 for the first time in a few months today to make some simple feet for wooden benches that I'm temporarily (it will be years) putting in the garage on the slab floor that gets moist. Their online stuff was broken due to the AWS outage presumably, but at least it let me still use the software. I'm glad I spent some time learning to do some basic stuff in the software but I still hate software as a service.