Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is random images not loading an imgur thing at the moment? Just want to be sure.

It was my VPN :doh:

ijyt fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ipad on iOS16.5, latest app version - the 'Open Tweets in Twitter' switch in my options is switched On, but tweets have recently started opening in Safari instead. I'm sure its just Twitter slowly dying but just in case.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Awful app for VisionOS when? I must shitpost in augmented reality.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So there is a bug where YouTube links are embedded even if they are behind spoiler tags in the iOS app. I have seen this happen occasionally.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ipad on iOS16.5, latest app version - the 'Open Tweets in Twitter' switch in my options is switched On, but tweets have recently started opening in Safari instead. I'm sure its just Twitter slowly dying but just in case.

This seems to have been remedied now, browsing on iPad opens twitter links in the twitter app again.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The YouTube embeds actually opening in YouTube recently started working again as well so I guess their API got fixed as well. That it iOS tweaked something.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

`Nemesis posted:

this is what i am asking about.

the app uploads anonymously to imgur and people are actively using it, which will continue to be an issue for the site until that stops.

I've raised a GitHub PR that hides the imgur-related menu items and PMd pokeyman. If he approves and pushes it to beta and then live, this should prevent people from uploading to imgur from the app. Will save the full removal of the imgur upload solution for when there's a replacement candidate.

Have also been looking for an imgur replacement. I've looked at imgbb, imgbox, imgchest, postimages and abload.de but they don't seem appropriate.

file.glass does offer a public api key for applications, so that is one to investigate further. Might also reach out to lpix.org and see if they'd be open to taking on Awfulapp users.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Was about to complain about the TestFlight being close to expiring and got hit instead with an update.

SAD works now too. Great. Thanks y'all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What’s generally the easiest way to embed images going forward? Shortcuts script?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Keep using imgur and just let your images be transient, nothing so important that it couldn’t be lost forever has ever been posted on the internet.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Keep using imgur and just let your images be transient, nothing so important that it couldn’t be lost forever has ever been posted on the internet.

I don’t care about the images I post. I’m just afraid it’s gonna cause more work for some volunteer goon who’s trying to migrate all that stuff to another server.

Speaking of images, when you press and hold in the app and select [img ], the next menu always gives ‘from camera’ as the first option. Has any goon ever directly taken a picture of themselves through the app? Wouldn’t it be easier if ‘from library’ was the default? Imagine the taps saved! It would be utopia, we would finally be happy.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

mrfart posted:

Speaking of images, when you press and hold in the app and select [img ], the next menu always gives ‘from camera’ as the first option. Has any goon ever directly taken a picture of themselves through the app? Wouldn’t it be easier if ‘from library’ was the default? Imagine the taps saved! It would be utopia, we would finally be happy.

The latest beta and soon to be live version has those From Camera / From Library options removed completely. The new behaviour is the [img ] option will either take an image url from your pasteboard and wrap it in tags OR it will wrap any currently selected text in tags.

But I take your point for when the feature returns. Goons posting fresh from the camera with the New Post screen up is a pretty funny scenario to think about.

---

I've been playing with fileglass but I'm getting timeouts with even normal < 1 MB file uploads. So that's not great. And their option to register an app is completely broken. So I'm raising a ticket and will see where that goes. I'd rather use a general service than dump thousands of new users on lpix.org, so I'm seeing how far I get and will reach out to lpix as a last resort.

If anyone has any image host suggestions, please share. My previous post shows the ones I've looked at.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Love seeing 1/4 as many quote icons now. Thanks for the fix!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

What’s generally the easiest way to embed images going forward? Shortcuts script?

Shortcuts script that dumps into an Imgur account, yes.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Is there a search function in the app I am missing?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nope, there isn't one unless I'm gravely mistaken.,

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Queer Grenadier posted:

Is there a search function in the app I am missing?

Nope.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

The new SpankyKong OLED dark theme rules! Thanks!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Arpanets posted:

The new SpankyKong OLED dark theme rules! Thanks!

Everything about this update rules. Especially the new theme!

Quick request: Can you add a super-ignore to the app? Something that doesn’t show the posts or even posts that quote the user?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not a fan of the unread posts number being so small now. Otherwise a cool update!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, I dig the new theme but the unread posts number is really hard to see in forum view. Otherwise a good update!

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
The explanation text in the settings page (e.g. "Turn off the end of thread frog and dead tweet ghost") is scrollable, at least on an iphone se. I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't managed to get my finger on it while trying to scroll down and then wondering why the hell it wasn't scrolling, so I assume that's not intentional.

Also thanks for disappearing the PM button at the bottom, for the past week or two, every time I'd open the app it's somehow switched to that view and then I have to dismiss a dialog telling me I don't have PMs.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

New update looking good. Excellent work devgoons.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I humbly request the remove bookmark option be moved from next to the go to last page option. I’ve removed my bookmarks too many times trying to jump to the end of a thread.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 20, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I always thought it should be at the bottom but I didn’t have a good reason to provide.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And/or "remove bookmark" should have a confirm

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I forgot that context menu was even there, but yeah I could see Remove Bookmark getting a little removed from those two, likely high-used, navigational options.

Alternately: Add shake to undo, everyone's favorite gesture.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
the new rounding in the icon made me think I was insane for a few minutes, but Google Image Search showed me the old version and at least alleviated my brain

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is tap post to jump supposed to do anything or am I doing it in the wrong place?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Enjoying the new themes a lot - thanks for the update!

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Cool — thanks for the update!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Data Graham posted:

And/or "remove bookmark" should have a confirm
Big ups to this

The Dave posted:

I forgot that context menu was even there, but yeah I could see Remove Bookmark getting a little removed from those two, likely high-used, navigational options.

Alternately: Add shake to undo, everyone's favorite gesture.
I have some vague recollections that Shake To Undo was indeed a thing for undoing thread deletions, back before I disabled the Shake To Undo gesture on my phone. Does it not work anymore?

Skeezy posted:

Is tap post to jump supposed to do anything or am I doing it in the wrong place?
Iirc if you double-tap a post then it will jump to the next one. I turned it off because I would accidentally activate it all the time, with no quick way to undo the scrolling action, so mb it broke in this update.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I also have a feature re-request and a bug report, both dealing with the ellipsis menu!

The feature re-request, from... June 2022 :monocle::

Grace Baiting posted:

Reiterating this, while the new interface is being actively worked on:

Grace Baiting posted:

would it be possible (with whatever parameters these standards widgets give you) for this menu to list the poster's name as a title? The older version of the app w/ the custom single-post menu included the poster's name, and I've found it handy in the past!

It would be especially handy for the new interface's dotdotdot menu to be restored to having the poster's name as a title, especially for longer posts where their username is scrolled far off screen when you reach the end of them. Crude mock-up of what I'm hoping for:
Adding the poster's name to the top of the post ellipsis menu would be great!! (Notably their name was present in the old interface too, so this would revert a regression.)  plz fix tia <3

Second, the bug report: the ellipsis popup menu behaves a little awkwardly if you tap and drag across it, in that upon releasing your finger press, the menu will execute the action you initially tapped on, as well any other action you may have dragged to (though no second action if you dragged off the menu entirely, at least). The dotdotdot menu probably should probably not always execute the item you mousedown (fingerdown?) on!

Lastly,

Warbird posted:

New update looking good. Excellent work devgoons.
:yossame::sign:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So this would be a good time to jump into the beta, I take it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So this would be a good time to jump into the beta, I take it.

No just update it manually from the app store, you'll get 6.2

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i’d love to be able to turn off all the new tron-looking blue outlines on the bottom buttons and stars in the main forum overview in the OLED dark theme. consider this a suggestion for a toggle or something in an upcoming update or something

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Regdate under user name in posts is much more readable now with the darker text!!!

Thanks!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Enjoying the update, thanks

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

spankmeister posted:

No just update it manually from the app store, you'll get 6.2

Ah, thanks, that makes sense. I was wrongly assuming the main app was orphaned from the talk a few pages ago.

Seems to work great, posting from it now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Very solid! I love it. Seconding the note about the various headings and text blocks on the Settings page being scrollable within their pinned boundaries, which certainly shouldn’t be.

The end-of-thread frog is great. I get to the end and it’s like :frogout: