Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Gentleman Baller posted:

Just checking, if open source developers genuinely don't want people to profit from their work without paying coders they could just publish their work under a licence that restricts commercial use, right?

This is actually the current situation with LLaMA. It has a non-commercial license.

Meta absolutely benefits from it, that's why they released it in a way that it was painfully obvious it would leak and then, once that happened, they made no attempts to stop it.

And no one had any misconceptions about that fact, but the fact is we got a powerful foundation model and it's hugely benefited making local LLMs and their training accessible to normal people with a gaming laptop or something.

Most open source models don't want to be non-commercial though. Most open source software is about contributing to society as a whole, being for really whatever you want to use it for, not just hobbyists. A whole lot of people benefit from Linux commercially, for example, but that's not necessarily a bad thing or take anything away from Linux.

So, openlm-research is actually just on the verge of releasing their 7b version of a model trained in pretty much exactly the same way as LLaMA but without a non-commercial license, OpenLLaMA.

Maybe they got tons secret funding from Microsoft and this is a 4d chess move to destroy society somehow. But if you believe their story they're just some students from UC Berkeley.

And that's kind of a big deal, not too long ago training a 3b foundation model was a huge task that just took a lot. GPT-J wasn't even 7b. And now some students got above that just screwing around basically. And, as far as I know they're gonna keep going and train equivalents to the 13b, 33b, and hopefully 65b models too.

As far as all the other pieces being non-commercial, people could do that but it wouldn't matter much. You don't really need much besides transformers and a few lines of python to make a model work.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

This presidential election is going to be wild, and Trump is going to go all in on AI generated deep fakes. There was a fake of DeSantis released with his face and voice superimposed over the scene in The Office where Michael Scott wears a woman's suit.

https://www.businessinsider.com/deepfake-video-ron-desantis-michael-scott-the-office-pantsuit-2023-5

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1662431349838413824

It's pretty sloppy at certain parts, especially around 30 seconds in, the video breaks completely back to Steve Carrell and his voice for a second in transition. This is pretty obviously a parody video but I don't think they are going to stop at noticeable parody. DeSantis as Michael Scott is a great comparison though, they look the same and have similar mannerisms.

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

We're all captured, everything is by default. Copyleft licenses work from that assumption and try to thread a needle to create some kind of balance, but as they're a reactions to capitalism in a capitalist society they can't help but be compromised by it just like everything else is. GPL's commercial allowances are a part of this, a deliberate attempt to court capitalist organizations into contributing. Which they have, the Linux kernel is overwhelmingly maintained by people who are paid. This also means that volunteers have their work used by those entities, though since contributions make their way back it's a stretch to say that it's been taken.

I'd love for everyone who contributed to get paid. They should be. If only there were some system of governance that would allow for this.

okay so what about the guy who invented the polio vaccine and then didn't patent it because he wanted everyone to be able to not get polio. is he an rear end in a top hat because capitalism exists, or what. i don't get what you are trying to say here

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20

Gentleman Baller posted:

Just checking, if open source developers genuinely don't want people to profit from their work without paying coders they could just publish their work under a licence that restricts commercial use, right?

I'm not sure if this is the thread for going in depth over this? It's such a boring dry topic even if the ramifications are potentially huge. Not sure where else to talk about it though.

I am planning on modifying CC-BY-NC-SA for use in my 'ethically sourced free range vegan public domain only' Stable Diffusion model. Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike. There is a lot of existing argument over this not being a 'Free Cultural Work', I see it as what's known as a Clopen Set. Both Open and Closed.

This is my line of thinking, I want this to become a Public Good. Free for all to use with the exception of commercial use of the model itself. I want no part and would make no claim over outputs of the model just the model itself. If you wanted to make something with it, slap it on a t-shirt, then sell it? All the more power to you, and all profits to you as well. Hell, I'd probably buy one myself.

What I wouldn't want is a company charging for access to the model, for instance a website charging per image generated using the model, hiding it behind a paywall, requiring a paid membership to access, or more specifically Microsoft rolling it into base Windows itself. Unless they did follow the license and made Windows free? Not going to hold my breath there.

The Adapt or Remix part is crucial since I am using the same open source training software as everyone else there would be no technical way of preventing it from being used in merges with other models. These merges are the current majority of the most popular public models. I wouldn't try to prevent this either I would actively encourage it. Attempting to climb to current levels of output quality from scratch by myself could take 3-4 years easily, where with even a modicum of extra help could easily be brought down to 6 months or less. That the initial outside merges would be 'contaminated' according to 'purist' thought of copyright infringement also wouldn't bother me in the slightest because it would have no bearing on my 'pure' public domain model or it's future changes. I would just keep adding new material and working on the quality until it matches then surpasses todays. This effectively eliminates the current 'ethical set' argument that irks me so much. AI Art isn't theft. Rent is theft.

Here is another reason for the ShareAlike portion, there is already precedent. Dreamlike Diffusion has already released a modified noncommercial model, and it's already been used in several merges which also have to follow the noncommercial license. That this is a 'contaminated' model also doesn't bother me, no one is forcing you to use it.

I know nothing replaces the advice of an actual lawyer but general discussions of are still useful for information gathering. There are aspects I don't know about such as, does the noncommercial part mean you can't host the model if you run advertisements on your website? There are bound to be avenues I haven't explored and I don't want to get this wrong and end up hurting people over it.
This should be free and open for all 8,000,000,000+ of us to use which is why I'm taking these steps to see that it is.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Persiflagist posted:

okay so what about the guy who invented the polio vaccine and then didn't patent it because he wanted everyone to be able to not get polio. is he an rear end in a top hat because capitalism exists, or what. i don't get what you are trying to say here

Why are you acting as if the person you're responding to would think he was an rear end in a top hat?

The point was that capitalism will exploit and try to capture even such acts of generosity (and they certainly have, see insulin, which also was released for free by its inventor to make is as widely available and cheap as possible), but that doing that those things is still worthwhile?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

GlyphGryph posted:

Why are you acting as if the person you're responding to would think he was an rear end in a top hat?

The point was that capitalism will exploit and try to capture even such acts of generosity (and they certainly have, see insulin, which also was released for free by its inventor to make is as widely available and cheap as possible), but that doing that those things is still worthwhile?

The equivalent to this would actually he a permissive open source license too, wouldn't it?

Which is what we're doing here. Which is what we're saying is a good thing.

And the problem people seem to have with it is that open source contributes to everyone, including corporate interests. At least as far as this comparison can go, it's not gonna be an exact comparison no matter what because vaccines and AI models don't work the same way and aren't the same thing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Persiflagist posted:

Yes a total, 100% rear end in a top hat. He should have been put to death for what he did. Exactly what I was saying. You are very smart.

e: In the current regulatory environment it's probably a good idea to patent discoveries like that even if you want to distribute it freely, so other companies don't take it for themselves and fight attempts at establishing prior art.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 4, 2023

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

BrainDance posted:

The equivalent to this would actually he a permissive open source license too, wouldn't it?

Which is what we're doing here. Which is what we're saying is a good thing.

And the problem people seem to have with it is that open source contributes to everyone, including corporate interests. At least as far as this comparison can go, it's not gonna be an exact comparison no matter what because vaccines and AI models don't work the same way and aren't the same thing.

I don't even know why it's a topic. AI generators are a fact of life now and like most other software there will be high-end commercial versions and free open source versions.

What's important and matters is that everybody will have access to it. Corporations profiting from the volunteers that make the tools doesn't affect what the tools can do, who has access to them or the impact it will have on the art community.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have not mentioned EleutherAI, and don't know the status of EleutherAI.

I am open source developer myself, so obviusly I am I support and defend open source.

Edit:
Theres nothing bad about open sourcing AI. Open Source algorithms is very good for society as a whole, including corporations and random guys and artists (despite artist favouring products pretty often).

Theres nothing bad about scientist building corpus of data and distributing that with a free license.

What is bad is when these "scientist" are jus a facade to build that corpus using copyrighted images.

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 4, 2023

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Tei posted:

I have not mentioned EleutherAI, and don't know the status of EleutherAI.

I am open source developer myself, so obviusly I am I support and defend open source.

Edit:
Theres nothing bad about open sourcing AI. Open Source algorithms is very good for society as a whole, including corporations and random guys and artists (despite artist favouring products pretty often).

Theres nothing bad about scientist building corpus of data and distributing that with a free license.

What is bad is when these "scientist" are jus a facade to build that corpus using copyrighted images.

Are you suggesting any specific open source developers are operating a facade for corporate interests or are you just speaking theoretically?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Tei posted:

Sure, maybe. But all the evidence for that actually happening here in this conversation we're having about EleutherAI is some guy saying "yeah that's totally what's happening." For no reasons, that he'll share at least, at all other than I guess he just feels like it.

We can list all the problems with open source software, but if it has nothing to do with the open source project we're talking about here then what does it have to do with anything? Why are we talking about it?

The whole point of this conversation was in response to this

StratGoatCom posted:

The point is that these things are innately and inescapably megacorporate products and that the liberatory rhetoric is utterly empty, given precisely how they are made and what they are for.

Which is just straight up untrue, no one has been able to produce any evidence of it being true about EleutherAI (and they're not even the only ones, I just posted about another group at UC Berkeley.) And saying "but it could be true and it would be bad if it were true" isnt making any point at all.

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013

KwegiboHB posted:

I'm not sure if this is the thread for going in depth over this? It's such a boring dry topic even if the ramifications are potentially huge. Not sure where else to talk about it though.

I am planning on modifying CC-BY-NC-SA for use in my 'ethically sourced free range vegan public domain only' Stable Diffusion model. Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike. There is a lot of existing argument over this not being a 'Free Cultural Work', I see it as what's known as a Clopen Set. Both Open and Closed.

This is my line of thinking, I want this to become a Public Good. Free for all to use with the exception of commercial use of the model itself. I want no part and would make no claim over outputs of the model just the model itself. If you wanted to make something with it, slap it on a t-shirt, then sell it? All the more power to you, and all profits to you as well. Hell, I'd probably buy one myself.

What I wouldn't want is a company charging for access to the model, for instance a website charging per image generated using the model, hiding it behind a paywall, requiring a paid membership to access, or more specifically Microsoft rolling it into base Windows itself. Unless they did follow the license and made Windows free? Not going to hold my breath there.

The Adapt or Remix part is crucial since I am using the same open source training software as everyone else there would be no technical way of preventing it from being used in merges with other models. These merges are the current majority of the most popular public models. I wouldn't try to prevent this either I would actively encourage it. Attempting to climb to current levels of output quality from scratch by myself could take 3-4 years easily, where with even a modicum of extra help could easily be brought down to 6 months or less. That the initial outside merges would be 'contaminated' according to 'purist' thought of copyright infringement also wouldn't bother me in the slightest because it would have no bearing on my 'pure' public domain model or it's future changes. I would just keep adding new material and working on the quality until it matches then surpasses todays. This effectively eliminates the current 'ethical set' argument that irks me so much. AI Art isn't theft. Rent is theft.

Here is another reason for the ShareAlike portion, there is already precedent. Dreamlike Diffusion has already released a modified noncommercial model, and it's already been used in several merges which also have to follow the noncommercial license. That this is a 'contaminated' model also doesn't bother me, no one is forcing you to use it.

I know nothing replaces the advice of an actual lawyer but general discussions of are still useful for information gathering. There are aspects I don't know about such as, does the noncommercial part mean you can't host the model if you run advertisements on your website? There are bound to be avenues I haven't explored and I don't want to get this wrong and end up hurting people over it.
This should be free and open for all 8,000,000,000+ of us to use which is why I'm taking these steps to see that it is.

not 2 get totally off topic talking out my rear end about IP law but -- as far as i knowzies -- a lot of the "noncommercial" clauses in licenses liek creative commons r basically untested and accordgingly dont have solid precedent. 1 example is Great Minds v. Fedex Office & Print Services, Inc. (2018) where a nonprofit sued fedex for printing NC licensed shizz for a fee, in which hte court ruled in favor of kinkos (or whatever teh fux theyre called now lol):

quote:

In this case, because FedEx acted as the mere agent of licensee school districts when it reproduced Great Minds’ materials, and because there was no dispute that the school districts themselves sought to use Great Minds’ materials for permissible purposes, FedEx’s activities did not breach the license or violate Great Minds’ copyright.

Overall tho its not very well established what "non-commercial" means. wikimedia commons 4 example doesnt allow NC-licensed content based on some assload of reasonings, altho its up in the air whether u think they are smart or not. Personally i thinkz noncommercial licenses are cool 4 some stuff and bad 4 other stuff (ive licensed some shizz under GPL, some CC-NC, some straight CC, some CC0, etc). Anyway im with u if u are trying to devise a new license (altho i might read it and tell yuou that part of it is dumb lol)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Persiflagist posted:

i thinkz noncommercial licenses are cool 4 some stuff and bad 4 other stuff (ive licensed some shizz under GPL, some CC-NC, some straight CC, some CC0, etc). Anyway im with u if u are trying to devise a new license (altho i might read it and tell yuou that part of it is dumb lol)

I'm not trying to be an rear end but why are you typing like this, here?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Tei posted:

keep telling yourself this while corpos continue to favor ai and put artists out of jobs (artist defined as someone who doesn't use the kind of chintzy crap)

BrainDance posted:

I'm not trying to be an rear end but why are you typing like this, here?
what does it matter

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Corporations are going to try to minimize costs no matter how they can. They also don't care if art they receive is meaningful, the bulk of people want chintzy crap. Fine art will continue to exist for trained artists and the people who want it. AI art will probably evolve to the point where some AI art is considered fine art. Art isn't a profitable job, it never has been. I would agree that it should be, but the fact that it's hard to be an artist isn't AI's fault.

I think that person just posts all over the forums and forgot which one they were in. It's not a big deal or worth a derail, it just looked a bit weird.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

you are right that people want the chintz, but the fact of the matter is there once was an artist behind it. every ai generated book cover is a lost commission (excluding those who would just as well slap together something in MS paint, of which them using ai doesn't change much). supporting these models supports artists losing work

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

cumpantry posted:

keep telling yourself this while corpos continue to favor ai and put artists out of jobs (artist defined as someone who doesn't use the kind of chintzy crap)

Open sourcing AI doesn't keep it out of the hands of the corpos and the person you're responding to is actually in favour of generated art inheriting copyright from datasets. On the issues that actually matter to you, you are in agreement with them. Try reading the thread instead of busting in looking for targets.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i'm not arguing about the datasets

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

o wait i see what youre saying lol sorry

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The data sets are the works that AI generators build from. Given copyright would transfer, anything fed into them would have to be licensed, at which point your criticisms about it taking jobs away are roughly akin to criticising the licensing and use of stock art instead of hiring a photographer.

If it's the automation itself that bothers you, any work using new techniques is taking work away from those who stuck to the old ways, not dissimilar to getting upset at electronic composers because they use digital instruments instead of hiring musicians.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

cumpantry posted:

you are right that people want the chintz, but the fact of the matter is there once was an artist behind it. every ai generated book cover is a lost commission (excluding those who would just as well slap together something in MS paint, of which them using ai doesn't change much). supporting these models supports artists losing work

Every book cover made using software took jobs away from artists who used to do all the drawing on paper. Software is easier and cheaper and faster. It is also less *~artistic~*. Supporting software means supporting the loss of work.

And yet, somehow, with every advance in automation the End of Work never shows up. Instead people end up working more than ever, just with different tools.

I've been paying a lot of attention to AI lately and I have yet to see how this is inherently different. Faster, yes, and in an unexpected direction, yes. It still seems just another form of automation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
https://technomancers.ai/japan-goes-all-in-copyright-doesnt-apply-to-ai-training/

quote:

Japan Goes All In: Copyright Doesn’t Apply To AI Training

In a surprising move, Japan’s government recently reaffirmed that it will not enforce copyrights on data used in AI training. The policy allows AI to use any data “regardless of whether it is for non-profit or commercial purposes, whether it is an act other than reproduction, or whether it is content obtained from illegal sites or otherwise.” Keiko Nagaoka, Japanese Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology, confirmed the bold stance to local meeting, saying that Japan’s laws won’t protect copyrighted materials used in AI datasets.

Japan, AI, and Copyright

English language coverage of the situation is sparse. It seems the Japanese government believes copyright worries, particularly those linked to anime and other visual media, have held back the nation’s progress in AI technology. In response, Japan is going all-in, opting for a no-copyright approach to remain competitive.

This news is part of Japan’s ambitious plan to become a leader in AI technology. Rapidus, a local tech firm known for its advanced 2nm chip technology, is stepping into the spotlight as a serious contender in the world of AI chips. With Taiwan’s political situation looking unstable, Japanese chip manufacturing could be a safer bet. Japan is also stepping up to help shape the global rules for AI systems within the G-7.

Artists vs. Business (Artists Lost)

Not everyone in Japan is on board with this decision. Many anime and graphic art creators are concerned that AI could lower the value of their work. But in contrast, the academic and business sectors are pressing the government to use the nation’s relaxed data laws to propel Japan to global AI dominance.

Despite having the world’s third-largest economy, Japan’s economic growth has been sluggish since the 1990s. Japan has the lowest per-capita income in the G-7. With the effective implementation of AI, it could potentially boost the nation’s GDP by 50% or more in a short time. For Japan, which has been experiencing years of low growth, this is an exciting prospect.

It’s All About The Data

Western data access is also key to Japan’s AI ambitions. The more high-quality training data available, the better the AI model. While Japan boasts a long-standing literary tradition, the amount of Japanese language training data is significantly less than the English language resources available in the West. However, Japan is home to a wealth of anime content, which is popular globally. It seems Japan’s stance is clear – if the West uses Japanese culture for AI training, Western literary resources should also be available for Japanese AI.

What This Means For The World

On a global scale, Japan’s move adds a twist to the regulation debate. Current discussions have focused on a “rogue nation” scenario where a less developed country might disregard a global framework to gain an advantage. But with Japan, we see a different dynamic. The world’s third-largest economy is saying it won’t hinder AI research and development. Plus, it’s prepared to leverage this new technology to compete directly with the West.

I have no idea what that blog is but they source https://go2senkyo.com/seijika/122181/posts/685617 which is in Japanese and I can't read Japanese but I assume it's a more reputable website.

Anyway, looks like while all you guys have been sitting there arguing about copyrights and hypotheticals, the Japanese government has decided to pull off the bandages and let Japanese AI development go hog wild. Now your lovely fanfics and coverarts are fair game to ingest and use to train models to create fanfics and coverarts in your style.

Now what?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My Japanese is still not good enough to fully translate a long form article like that, but it appears to be talking about existing law and specifically saying that they need to update the law to protect copyright holders.

That article itself is also a summary of a Q&A session with a specific subcommittee - it is neither a direct quote, nor a stated policy goal.

Hopefully the Google translate is good enough here (I cut out stuff related to overtime for teachers):

quote:

Kii Takashi Blog
Looking back at the questions and answers of the subcommittee of the Settlement Administration Oversight Committee.
April 24, 2023

I asked questions about generative AI from two perspectives: copyright protection and use in educational settings.

First of all, when I checked the legal system (copyright law) in Japan regarding information analysis by AI, I found that in Japan, whether it is for non-commercial purposes, commercial purposes, or acts other than duplication, it is obtained from illegal sites, etc. Minister Nagaoka clearly stated that it is possible to use the work for information analysis regardless of the method, regardless of the content.

I argued that there is a problem from the viewpoint of rights protection that it is possible to use even when it is against the intention of the copyright holder, and that new regulations are necessary to protect the copyright holder.

Finally, I asked about the handling of generative AI in educational settings. Regarding the clarification of the government's plan to issue guidelines for educational sites, I asked that it should be done before the summer vacation considering the impact on children, but Minister Nagaoka answered "as soon as possible", There was no specific answer regarding the timing.

Although the attitude of the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology is very important for improving the work style reform of faculty and staff and handling generative AI, it was disappointing that he could not give a concrete answer on the key points of the government policy. I would like to continue this Q&A session by asking my colleagues to take part in general Q&A at the Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Committee in the future.

That's all for the review of the questions. The minutes and Q&A digest video will be shared as soon as they are completed.

(Supplementary explanation based on various opinions and advice April 28, 2023)

Thank you for your various opinions and advice on the content of the question.

I'm sorry if there are any misunderstandings because I briefly summarized the question and the purpose of my remarks in a short time.

Regarding the generation AI, the purpose was to confirm in the Minister's response whether the rights of the creators and rights holders of the original data can be protected under the Copyright Act at the stage of analysis and learning.

For more information, please check the exchange of minutes.

That original English blog was clearly being sensational for clicks. For Japanese news, I would look at NHK. If it's important/noteworthy, it will probably be there.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 4, 2023

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

^^ Can you read the minutes? I have no Japanese so i'm relying on google translate completely.

I don't read Japanese either but this is the conversation that lead to this article is posted on KII Takashi's website, who is a member of the Japanese House of Representatives.

He posted the minutes of the subcommittee meeting on his website, obviously in Japanese but the translation for the rational from google translate is

quote:

Minister of State Nagaoka

Regarding the information analysis for non-commercial purposes that you asked, according to Article 30-4 of the Copyright Act, it is possible to use it when the use is not for the purpose of enjoying the thoughts or feelings expressed in the work.

I guess there is a specific section in Japanese copyright law that required enjoyment of the orginal material? That might be a bad translation and it means something else, but they don't think that AI meets the requirement to be considered used for copyright.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Luckily, a Japanese law firm wrote an English article breaking down the relevant part of the law. The whole thing isn't long so I encourage everyone to read it here

https://storialaw.jp/en/service/bigdata/ai-14/14-2

Here's the opening. The rest is mostly an analysis of the implications:

quote:

As explained above, Article 30-4 of Japan’s Copyright Act, which allows a broad scope for the use of copyrighted works if it is for the purpose of “data analysis”, is said to be quite unique from a global perspective.

Although other countries also have provisions allowing the free use of copyrighted works if it is for “data analysis”, in Great Britain, for example, only the “reproduction for the analysis of texts and data for non-commercial research” is subject to the limitations of rights [United Kingdom], Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, Article 29A, as revised in 2014). 1

On the other hand, since Japan’s Copyright Act does not have such a limitation on purpose, Article 30-4 of the Copyright Act applies to cases where a commercial enterprise engages in data analysis for commercial purposes.

This point is the quintessential feature of Article 30-4 of Japan’s Copyright Act.

Basically, the argument is that training a model is an act of data analysis, so it's explicitly allowed. It does on to say that since the resulting model doesn't contain the actual copyrighted data, it would likely (doesn't really give justification for this) be permissible to use the model as long as the output isn't infringing on its own.

Here's the key point, IMO

quote:

Therefore, in my opinion, the act of generating AI software capable of expressing a particular author’s style by learning only the images of a specific author does not fall under the category of “unreasonably prejudicing the interests of the copyright owner” under the proviso of Article 30-4.

However, it must be noted that what is lawful here is “the act of generating AI software” (Issue 1). The issue of what liability the AI software provider would have if, as a result of providing such AI software, a user who uses such AI software generates a copyrighted work that is the same or similar to an existing copyrighted work, thereby causing a copyright infringement (Issue 3(1)).

I think that's where a lot of people already are ITT, so it's not that crazy.

gurragadon posted:

^^ Can you read the minutes? I have no Japanese so i'm relying on google translate completely.

Sorry, I'm phone posting at the moment but it's pretty clearly talking about the law as it exists today and not some policy goals. I might try to translate it later as practice but no promises since it's a lot of work.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 4, 2023

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

No that's ok, that analysis that you posted was what I wanted to get out of a translation either way, so I'll check out that blog. Looks like Japanese copyright law is just written with more leeway. This is the law which I copied from that link Killhour posted.

quote:

This provision is Article 30-4, Item (ii) of [Japan’s] Copyright Act, which was adopted by the Act Partially Amending the Copyright Act of 2018.

(Exploitation without the Purpose of Enjoying the Thoughts or Sentiments Expressed in a Work )

Article 30-4 It is permissible to exploit a work, in any way and to the extent considered necessary, in any of the following cases, or in any other case in which it is not a person’s purpose to personally enjoy or cause another person to enjoy the thoughts or sentiments expressed in that work; provided, however, that this does not apply if the action would unreasonably prejudice the interests of the copyright owner in light of the nature or purpose of the work or the circumstances of its exploitation.

(i) Omitted

(ii) if it is done for use in data analysis (meaning the extraction, comparison, classification, or other statistical analysis of the constituent language, sounds, images, or other elemental data from a large number of works or a large volume of other such data; the same applies in Article 47-5, paragraph 1, item (ii);

(iii) Omitted

This does have wondering if other countries are going to follow Japanese law or try to maintain stricter copyright like the EU is trying to do. If this tech really ends up being revolutionary than the EU would be left behind.

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20

Persiflagist posted:

not 2 get totally off topic talking out my rear end about IP law but -- as far as i knowzies -- a lot of the "noncommercial" clauses in licenses liek creative commons r basically untested and accordgingly dont have solid precedent. 1 example is Great Minds v. Fedex Office & Print Services, Inc. (2018) where a nonprofit sued fedex for printing NC licensed shizz for a fee, in which hte court ruled in favor of kinkos (or whatever teh fux theyre called now lol):

Overall tho its not very well established what "non-commercial" means. wikimedia commons 4 example doesnt allow NC-licensed content based on some assload of reasonings, altho its up in the air whether u think they are smart or not. Personally i thinkz noncommercial licenses are cool 4 some stuff and bad 4 other stuff (ive licensed some shizz under GPL, some CC-NC, some straight CC, some CC0, etc). Anyway im with u if u are trying to devise a new license (altho i might read it and tell yuou that part of it is dumb lol)

Thank you for that link. I personally think that outputs should be seperate from the model or dataset that created it, wikipedia couldn't host the model itself but should have no problems with any of the pictures made from it. I still have some time before release and will have to find an actual lawyer to talk this over with. Not looking forward to that.

SCheeseman posted:

generated art inheriting copyright from datasets.

This in general I did not think of because of the copyright offices stance on output. Their guidance letter doesn't mean settled law though so I'll have to give this some thought. Thanks.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyway, looks like while all you guys have been sitting there arguing about copyrights and hypotheticals, the Japanese government has decided to pull off the bandages and let Japanese AI development go hog wild. Now your lovely fanfics and coverarts are fair game to ingest and use to train models to create fanfics and coverarts in your style.

Now what?

https://timesofjp.com/society/copyrighted-works-get-flimsy-protection-from-ai-under-japanese-law/

quote:

The group also raised other issues they considered problematic, including the fact that Article 30-4 of the Copyright Law, which permits the use of a copyrighted work for machine learning, does not include procedures for gaining permission in advance from copyright holders.

The article, which was included in a 2018 revision, permits the use of copyrighted material such as text and images to train AI, regardless of whether the model is for commercial use. Under the current law, it is legal to train AI with copyrighted material even if the data was obtained illegally.

If I put out an article "US reaffirms requirement of seatbelt usage while driving" I don't think I'd get quite the same number of outrage clicks. It could be worth talking about their old law, but it was an old law, nothing actually changed.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

cumpantry posted:

Using copyrighted images is a choice. You can make a worse bot with only images in the public domain or a license that allow derivative copies / use withouth attribution. Of course, using the best images available not matter the license give you a better bot, so is what they did.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://technomancers.ai/japan-goes-all-in-copyright-doesnt-apply-to-ai-training/

I have no idea what that blog is but they source https://go2senkyo.com/seijika/122181/posts/685617 which is in Japanese and I can't read Japanese but I assume it's a more reputable website.

Now what?

Please be a bit less hostile toward your fellow AI cowboys.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Boris Galerkin posted:

Now what?

meanwhile:https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1506018.html

quote:

The document titled "Regarding the relationship between AI and copyright" released by the Agency for Cultural Affairs and the Cabinet Office on May 30 clarifies the views on the relationship between learning by generative AI and the relationship between copyrights of products and existing works. was done.

Although it is only one slide, it summarizes the basic idea that it is necessary to consider separately the "AI development/learning stage" and the "generation/use stage" because the applicable provisions of the copyright law are different. It is

In the development and learning stages of AI, acts of use that do not aim to enjoy the thoughts or feelings expressed in the work are, in principle, permitted without copyright permission. However, if it exceeds the "necessary limit" or "unreasonably harms the interests of the copyright holder", it is not subject to the provisions.

On the other hand, at the stage of generation and use, the judgment of copyright infringement when uploading and publishing AI-generated images, or selling duplicates, is permitted under the Copyright Act for personal appreciation/action. treated like regular copyright infringement unless

Therefore, if the generated image is found to be similar or reliant on an existing image (copyrighted work), the copyright holder can claim damages/injunction as copyright infringement, and is subject to criminal punishment. It is said that it will also happen.

In the future, in addition to promptly disseminating and enlightening by holding seminars, etc., intellectual property law scholars and lawyers will be involved to quickly organize the points of discussion regarding the development of AI and the use of products at the Agency for Cultural Affairs. We are going to publicize / enlighten.

I would not try that interpretation in the legal environment that spawned Nintendo; open season on scraping would be repudiating Berne, which destroys their cultural industry. 'Research' just means that, research, not outright commercial use - bog standard Berne exemption.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MrGNlXRi9M
Jim Keller, whose work exists in just about every piece of computing that exists on the planet, on a bunch of topics related to AI (and RISC-V). He never seemed much of a hype man, while he does have a vested interest in the technology he's pretty dry and low energy here. Starts rather business focused, mostly questions on corporate structure, logistics and the like. The questions, or rather the answers start getting existential near the end, Keller seems to draw a line between human intelligence and the work being done in AI which was surprising. He's pretty convincing, but I've been sold on that train of thought for a while. It does bring to mind the criticism I've seen brought up where asking GPT models to rationalize past behaviors only ever results in post-hoc narratives and therefore aren't "real" insight, when Keller posits that humans do the same thing.

Also some typical engineer brained libertarian anti-regulation ranting, of course.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 13, 2023

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have read more than once Roger Penrose "The Emperor New Mind" book, because It was fun and full of interesting ideas.

I did not agreed with the ideas in the book. To me it was all hand waving "our brain is special", withouth evidence.

Sometimes reading a reactionary is fun.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SCheeseman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MrGNlXRi9M
The questions, or rather the answers start getting existential near the end, Keller seems to draw a line between human intelligence and the work being done in AI which was surprising.

Not remotely surprising to anyone with the slightest idea of the difference between a jumped up autocorrect and an actual GPAI.

Corvids are orders of magnitude beyond current 'AI', much less actual human level thought from a machine.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Drawing a line meaning they're making the comparison and describing similarities. Surprising because I didn't really expect an engineer as accomplished as Keller to get into the existential stuff, most of what he's written and the few talks I've watched didn't have him musing about those kinds of things.

The second paragraph you wrote is a non sequitur. Who are you responding to?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tei posted:

I have read more than once Roger Penrose "The Emperor New Mind" book, because It was fun and full of interesting ideas.

I did not agreed with the ideas in the book. To me it was all hand waving "our brain is special", withouth evidence.

Sometimes reading a reactionary is fun.

I've read his take and I agree with you. You'd think a physicist would make a stronger argument, but oh well.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So setting aside the art and chat gpt for a bit. Here’s a real general AI (again not LLM not image generator, actual AI) question.

If the cybernetics assertion of consciousness fundamentally being a feed back loop ( or a feed forward outputting into a feedback) is correct, then the creation of a general intelligence AI is the creation of general purpose universal control.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So setting aside the art and chat gpt for a bit. Here’s a real general AI (again not LLM not image generator, actual AI) question.

If the cybernetics assertion of consciousness fundamentally being a feed back loop ( or a feed forward outputting into a feedback) is correct, then the creation of a general intelligence AI is the creation of general purpose universal control.

You might want to explain in more detail what you mean here: "universal control" isn't at all clear.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The box that says controller in the diagram in the link below of a control.

https://www.eecs.umich.edu/courses/eecs373.w05/lecture/control.html

You’d still need the equivalent of a transducer for whatever system.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

If the question is whether the last statement is true, it is not, unless you're crafting your definitions such that it is tautologically true. "General intelligence" in the abstract doesn't entail the capacity to solve any specific problem or class of problems, nor does it imply that such a solution must exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SubG posted:

If the question is whether the last statement is true, it is not, unless you're crafting your definitions such that it is tautologically true. "General intelligence" in the abstract doesn't entail the capacity to solve any specific problem or class of problems, nor does it imply that such a solution must exist.

Here’s a general example before we had controls for burners in a boiler there was a person (a general intelligence) who would monitor the feedback from the boiler and would adjust the burners by changing burners / tips/ pressures.

Before the pneumatic control valve was invented a person had to do the same thing in steam systems by manually adjusting a globe valve.

In rocketry you had astronauts manually controlling burn to land on the moon.

A general intelligence (a person) can get into a car and drive it on the road.

That is to say being an (imperfect) universal controller is a characteristic of of our general intelligence.

I don’t think it’s an extraordinary claim that an artificial general intelligence would be as well.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 1, 2023