Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I think people like Ashrah for her concept, and her super annoying spin move she stole from Kung Lao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Twibbit posted:

I think people like Ashrah for her concept, and her super annoying spin move she stole from Kung Lao

Concept is really all you need. Thing is, this is the second reboot for the series. No character needs to be married to their original executions. Just vaguely visually similar, same name, maybe some of the same moves.

Just because Reiko sucked in MK4 for being a reskinned Noob Saibot doesn't mean you can't have a Reiko in a new timeline that doesn't suck. Same with literally any character at all. We're starting over from scratch and the entire premise is built around the differences they can showcase. Fuckin give me Kobra and Hsu Hao and Darrius I don't give a poo poo. They're all blank canvases again. A roster list shouldn't mean poo poo for this game because it's just names without any baggage attached.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jamesman posted:

Concept is really all you need. Thing is, this is the second reboot for the series. No character needs to be married to their original executions. Just vaguely visually similar, same name, maybe some of the same moves.

Just because Reiko sucked in MK4 for being a reskinned Noob Saibot doesn't mean you can't have a Reiko in a new timeline that doesn't suck. Same with literally any character at all. We're starting over from scratch and the entire premise is built around the differences they can showcase. Fuckin give me Kobra and Hsu Hao and Darrius I don't give a poo poo. They're all blank canvases again. A roster list shouldn't mean poo poo for this game because it's just names without any baggage attached.

I agree with you in spirit but the baggage comes from fan expectations. And MK is especially bad for shrill fans making demands as well which kinda exacerbates the problem.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

now's the time NRS

give us hiphop/street fashion Kobra

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wasn't Nitara technically not evil despite being a giant vampire lady?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

:woop:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ashrah was notable because she appeared right at one of the peaks of Midway/NRS’ Horny Era and was a fully clothed woman, something that wouldn’t be seen again until MKX

Also the hat that made everyone say “oh female Raiden”

edit: also she had a decently sized role in the MKD story mode, which was the best single player fighting content for a solid decade after its release. I played the gently caress out of MKD despite being a kid with no one to play MK with at home

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Goddamn it, why do they keep stiffing us on Jade. I'm sure she'll be a Kameo, maybe DLC, but still, gently caress.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Jade sucks, sorry.

Hopefully this game's netcode is as good as SF6's.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 14, 2023

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Beefstew posted:

Goddamn it, why do they keep stiffing us on Jade. I'm sure she'll be a Kameo, maybe DLC, but still, gently caress.

She and Kotal are on their honeymoon.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WarEternal posted:

Jade sucks, sorry.

Hopefully this game's netcode is as good as SF6's.

Um actually after much quiet introspection and careful contemplation, you will find that Jade does, in fact, rule.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Beefstew posted:

Because her, Jacqui, Jax and Kotal weren't popular last game.

NRS is very far from bigoted and they're painfully aware of how limited they are at authentically portraying brown people, so they err on the side of caution and make them blandly respectable instead. It's the right call from where they are but it doesn't build fandoms, and because half the cast is Asian already it's easy to go "well whatever, we're inclusive" especially for a game like this which is bringing back some relative deep cuts.

That isn't a condemnation nor endorsement, but observation of the terrain as it appears.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Where the gently caress are Ermac and Motaro

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

They're also on their honeymoon

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My thoughts on all the 3D Era characters.

Quan Chi: Weirdly didn't debut in a game, but the Saturday morning cartoon. Stood out well with his appearances in Mythologies and MK4, but was a bit overused as the trickster who was two steps ahead of everyone. Turning him into a whipping boy in MKX was a longtime coming, but kind of killed the character.

Shinnok: I always found it funny that he had a demonic final form in Mythologies, but they chose not to include that in any way in MK4, instead making him the lamest of all MK bosses. MKX did a good job of reprising the character, including finally giving us a real boss battle against his final form.

Reiko: Lame as gently caress, but was at least somewhat better in the MKX comic. There was a bit where he talked about how Shao Kahn would have him destroy entire villages and he would save their religious temples for last and then personally watch them burn down. Always thought that was pretty metal.

Jarek: Player 2 Kano, but they have yet to figure out a single way to make him in any way interesting. All he has going for him is being part of the silliest ending cutscene.

Tanya: Reminds me of Marvel's Moonstone, in that she's a master manipulator and schemer, but she doesn't want the responsibility of being in charge. She just needs more to her than being a backstabber.

Fujin: Was okay, if a bit bland, in MK4. Then had one of the biggest glow-ups in fighting games since Dr. Baldhead found that paper bag.

Kai: Incredibly boring and forgettable. His unused character design in Deadly Alliance at least made him look like a badass. There's definitely potential there.

Meat: More of an Easter egg than a real character, but they never figured out anything good with him.

Kenshi: Awesome design. They could have made him the new hero character and it would have worked out. His animated movie is weird, though.

Mavado: I like the idea of a more refined and shadowy counterpart to Kano's Black Dragon, but the further they got away from Deadly Alliance, the more bland Mavado became.

Hsu Hao: I get what they were going for. They just introduced the Red Dragon and needed someone else in its ranks, but they absolutely missed the mark.

Moloch: I always liked him. Thought he made for one of the better boss characters. Wouldn't mind a comeback.

Drahmin: A handful of usable ideas that just didn't come together.

Li Mei: So boring. I like that they brought her back for MKX's story mode, but she was so bland as a character design that there was no reason anyone would want to see her throw down.

Frost: One of the better designs in the 3D era and turning her into a deranged cyborg only made her better.

Bo Rai Cho: The farting and puking gets old fast, but he makes for a fun mentor character at times.

Nitara: Seemed like a fresh concept at the time. Kind of surprised she only came back for Armageddon. Definitely ripe for a return, especially since they've been giving her small roles in the last live-action movie and the Scorpion's Revenge animated movie.

Blaze: He's fine. Like his giant form better.

Mokap: Will always love him for that goofy "please punch me" walk he does in Konquest. I cosplayed as him one time. He's a joke character that's not really worth revisiting, though.

Serena: One of the more interesting ideas from Mythologies, but they never gave her a memorable appearance in any of the fighters. Considering Bi-Han is one of Liu Kang's soldiers in the new game, they could easily incorporate her into his storyline.

Darrius: There's something in there with his design of being a righteous rebel whose schemes make him worse than those he's fighting, but it means caring enough about the Orderrealm/Chaosrealm subplot. I can't even remember how the guy fights off the top of my head.

Kira: Merging Sonya and Kano into one character was a cute idea. Wouldn't have minded more from her.

Kobra: After giving us Johnny Cage and Stryker, it was amusing to have a down-to-earth POV character who is an absolute piece of poo poo. The way someone was able to insert him into one of those Mugen MK games by altering SF:TM Ken sprites is loving hilarious.

Shujinko: Might have worked if he wasn't portrayed as such a gullible doofus.

Hotaru: He's one of those characters who would really gain from being in animated cutscenes and having a speaking role. Prime choice for a redesign.

Havik: The game's engine just could not catch up to his design. He should have been like the Voldo of MK, playing like a chaotic weirdo. He definitely seems popular enough, considering his big role in Noob's MK9 ending, Joker's MK11 ending, and how he's the main villain in the MKX comic. If anyone should be brought back, it's him.

Dairou: Good news, Kai! We've found someone more forgettable!

Ashrah: Actually compelling concept that they really didn't do enough with. They probably should have just given her sword to Serena and called it a day since they have such similar backstories.

Onaga: Underrated villain design. I wouldn't mind seeing him again.

Taven: You need a really great design to distract from a plot of "every MK character ever is doing a huge battle royal on a pyramid," and Taven doesn't come close.

Daegon: He works as an okay footnote in MK lore, but looks like garbage and suffers from being Taven's rival.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

A bunch of leakers/accounts have been spitting out the same preliminary list of like 90% of the roster, spoilering for now but this might be most of them:

Havik
Reiko
Nitara
Li Mei
Ashrah
Sub Zero
Scorpion
Smoke
Reptile
Liu Kang
Kung Lao
Raiden
Shang Tsung
Kitana
Mileena
Tanya
Sindel
Johnny Cage
Kenshi

Somehow a lot of people are excited about Ashrah potentially in which boggles my mind, cannot think of a more "who cares" character from the 3D era. Same with Reiko who is probably on Sareena levels of people being obsessed with seeing him return throughout the years.

It's not impossible, sure, but I have serious doubts about confirmation of more obscure characters over almost-guaranteed inclusions like Sonya, Jax and Kano.

I made my own, ahem, calculation of probability just by counting how many times a character has already appeared in a mainline game and awarding lesser points for DLC, inclusion in an anthology game, NPC and lastly a cameo. According to that, including what we know already, this could be the main roster (in decreasing order of probability):

Already known:
Scorpion
Liu Kang
Raiden
Sub-Zero (Bi-Han) | Noob Saibot
Johnny Cage
Mileena
Kung Lao
Shang Tsung
Kitana
Kenshi

Probably in according to past games:
Jax (we already know he's a cameo, his inclusion in the main roster is practically guaranteed)
Sonya (same)
Sub-Zero (Kwai-Liang)
Reptile
Kano (see Jax and Sonya)
Baraka
Kabal
Sindel
Quan Chi
Nightwolf
Cyrax
Ermac
Sektor
Smoke
Jade

From these, if you eliminate Kwai-Liang (redundant because Bi-Han is already there and not as Noob), the bottom six have the biggest chances of being supplanted by 3D era characters. Of those, Havik is a surefire bet, but don't count out how much NRS loves their Bo' Rai Cho. On a cute sidenote, Kabal, Sindel and Nightwolf have always appeared together, as have Mileena and Baraka.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Pope Hilarius II posted:

It's not impossible, sure, but I have serious doubts about confirmation of more obscure characters over almost-guaranteed inclusions like Sonya, Jax and Kano.

I genuinely believe that they're going to be left off the main roster so they don't have to jam the special forces sub plot into yet another storyline where they don't really fit in with the tone and aesthetic. if these characters do show up on the main roster it'll be as DLC down the line depending on how many death threatsfan requests they get. I think there's a reason they're being shown off as the first set of kameo characters, even if they CAN show up on both parts of the roster I'm not banking on it

Sonya and Kano especially always struck me as the Dhalsim and E.Honda of MK, sure they've been around since the beginning but if they don't show up so some jobber has a chance of getting a glow up no one's gonna be terribly upset

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

From Eds interview with Gerstmann it sounds like we're going to get all sorts of idiots as Kameos since they're not connected to the story and loosely connected to the canon. So like I assume the Cyborg Ninjas will absolutely be Kameos and probably the Kombat Kids. Fuckin Mokap will probably be there.

I also fully expect poo poo like Kidd Thunder.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 14, 2023

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A fourth MK Legends animated movie is coming out sometime this year. This time it's a Johnny Cage solo movie taking place in the 80s, where his search for a missing costar leads to him taking on Netherrealm threats. Shinnok, Ashrah, Kia, and Jataaka are going to be in it.

Also, the movie will have one of Gilbert Gottfried's final roles. Sadly, he is not playing anyone from the games.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The final battle in the story mode should be fire god Liu Kang vs Mokap who became a god through far more questionable methods

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

Ermac will be DLC according to some of the early leaks

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gavok posted:

A fourth MK Legends animated movie is coming out sometime this year. This time it's a Johnny Cage solo movie taking place in the 80s, where his search for a missing costar leads to him taking on Netherrealm threats. Shinnok, Ashrah, Kia, and Jataaka are going to be in it.

Also, the movie will have one of Gilbert Gottfried's final roles. Sadly, he is not playing anyone from the games.

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1669041639543693316

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

DLC Inc posted:

Ermac will be DLC according to some of the early leaks

Yeah the first (let's not kid ourserlves here there's more coming) DLC s Kameo's and most of the story has been leaked already

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 15, 2023

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Baraka better be there or they can taste my Takartan blade.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Honestly just go nuts with the Kameos, it's a great way to do the Armageddon thing but with an actual competent game behind it. Throw in every MK charactger to date, have Motaro jump in and kick a guy, no need to balance him with the main roster or give him two legs so throw animations work. Do the MK Trilogy thing, give me MK1 Kano AND MK3 Kano. MK4 Johnny Cage with a laser gun. I will pay money for all this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Will this be the first Mortal Kombat where Baraka canonically wins a match? Anything is possible.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Minidust posted:

Honestly just go nuts with the Kameos, it's a great way to do the Armageddon thing but with an actual competent game behind it. Throw in every MK charactger to date, have Motaro jump in and kick a guy, no need to balance him with the main roster or give him two legs so throw animations work. Do the MK Trilogy thing, give me MK1 Kano AND MK3 Kano. MK4 Johnny Cage with a laser gun. I will pay money for all this.

Mortal Kombat Armageddone

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I'm excited that Liu Kang is just as big an idiot as Raiden was. He remade the timeline to allow all his enemies exist, and somehow made Johnny even MORE cool than he ever was.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Diabetic posted:

I'm excited that Liu Kang is just as big an idiot as Raiden was. He remade the timeline to allow all his enemies exist, and somehow made Johnny even MORE cool than he ever was.

We got the whole realms in balance thing so there needs to be evil things or the elder gods will make evil things.

exquisite tea posted:

Will this be the first Mortal Kombat where Baraka canonically wins a match? Anything is possible.

He. Must. Job.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Anything is possible. Except that.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Reptiles first W will be against Baraka and it'll be cause to celebrate

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Minidust posted:

Boon did mention onstage that it's entirely possible to have your fighter and your Kameo be the same guy. He mentioned Sub-Zero specifically.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wanderer posted:

Boon did mention onstage that it's entirely possible to have your fighter and your Kameo be the same guy. He mentioned Sub-Zero specifically.

I'm seeing double here. 8 Sub-Zeros!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
In either the trailer or one of the vids from people who got to play it had Kung Lao and Kung Lao. Wonder how much of the main kast is in both

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

In the new timeline, Baraka will lead a peaceful life, emigrate to Earthrealm, find a new spiritual home in Ireland, and become a successful political icon as Baraka O'bama. :v:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wanderer posted:

in-canon reasoning: it's Khameleon

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

in-canon reasoning: it's Khameleon

Kameoleon, surely

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Do you suppose every keyboard at Netherrealm Studios is missing a key and in Ed Boon's desk there's just a drawer filled with C's

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Do you suppose every keyboard at Netherrealm Studios is missing a key and in Ed Boon's desk there's just a drawer filled with C's

Inkonkeivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

My thoughts on all the 3D Era characters.

Quan Chi: Weirdly didn't debut in a game, but the Saturday morning cartoon. Stood out well with his appearances in Mythologies and MK4, but was a bit overused as the trickster who was two steps ahead of everyone. Turning him into a whipping boy in MKX was a longtime coming, but kind of killed the character.

Shinnok: I always found it funny that he had a demonic final form in Mythologies, but they chose not to include that in any way in MK4, instead making him the lamest of all MK bosses. MKX did a good job of reprising the character, including finally giving us a real boss battle against his final form.

Reiko: Lame as gently caress, but was at least somewhat better in the MKX comic. There was a bit where he talked about how Shao Kahn would have him destroy entire villages and he would save their religious temples for last and then personally watch them burn down. Always thought that was pretty metal.

Jarek: Player 2 Kano, but they have yet to figure out a single way to make him in any way interesting. All he has going for him is being part of the silliest ending cutscene.

Tanya: Reminds me of Marvel's Moonstone, in that she's a master manipulator and schemer, but she doesn't want the responsibility of being in charge. She just needs more to her than being a backstabber.

Fujin: Was okay, if a bit bland, in MK4. Then had one of the biggest glow-ups in fighting games since Dr. Baldhead found that paper bag.

Kai: Incredibly boring and forgettable. His unused character design in Deadly Alliance at least made him look like a badass. There's definitely potential there.

Meat: More of an Easter egg than a real character, but they never figured out anything good with him.

Kenshi: Awesome design. They could have made him the new hero character and it would have worked out. His animated movie is weird, though.

Mavado: I like the idea of a more refined and shadowy counterpart to Kano's Black Dragon, but the further they got away from Deadly Alliance, the more bland Mavado became.

Hsu Hao: I get what they were going for. They just introduced the Red Dragon and needed someone else in its ranks, but they absolutely missed the mark.

Moloch: I always liked him. Thought he made for one of the better boss characters. Wouldn't mind a comeback.

Drahmin: A handful of usable ideas that just didn't come together.

Li Mei: So boring. I like that they brought her back for MKX's story mode, but she was so bland as a character design that there was no reason anyone would want to see her throw down.

Frost: One of the better designs in the 3D era and turning her into a deranged cyborg only made her better.

Bo Rai Cho: The farting and puking gets old fast, but he makes for a fun mentor character at times.

Nitara: Seemed like a fresh concept at the time. Kind of surprised she only came back for Armageddon. Definitely ripe for a return, especially since they've been giving her small roles in the last live-action movie and the Scorpion's Revenge animated movie.

Blaze: He's fine. Like his giant form better.

Mokap: Will always love him for that goofy "please punch me" walk he does in Konquest. I cosplayed as him one time. He's a joke character that's not really worth revisiting, though.

Serena: One of the more interesting ideas from Mythologies, but they never gave her a memorable appearance in any of the fighters. Considering Bi-Han is one of Liu Kang's soldiers in the new game, they could easily incorporate her into his storyline.

Darrius: There's something in there with his design of being a righteous rebel whose schemes make him worse than those he's fighting, but it means caring enough about the Orderrealm/Chaosrealm subplot. I can't even remember how the guy fights off the top of my head.

Kira: Merging Sonya and Kano into one character was a cute idea. Wouldn't have minded more from her.

Kobra: After giving us Johnny Cage and Stryker, it was amusing to have a down-to-earth POV character who is an absolute piece of poo poo. The way someone was able to insert him into one of those Mugen MK games by altering SF:TM Ken sprites is loving hilarious.

Shujinko: Might have worked if he wasn't portrayed as such a gullible doofus.

Hotaru: He's one of those characters who would really gain from being in animated cutscenes and having a speaking role. Prime choice for a redesign.

Havik: The game's engine just could not catch up to his design. He should have been like the Voldo of MK, playing like a chaotic weirdo. He definitely seems popular enough, considering his big role in Noob's MK9 ending, Joker's MK11 ending, and how he's the main villain in the MKX comic. If anyone should be brought back, it's him.

Dairou: Good news, Kai! We've found someone more forgettable!

Ashrah: Actually compelling concept that they really didn't do enough with. They probably should have just given her sword to Serena and called it a day since they have such similar backstories.

Onaga: Underrated villain design. I wouldn't mind seeing him again.

Taven: You need a really great design to distract from a plot of "every MK character ever is doing a huge battle royal on a pyramid," and Taven doesn't come close.

Daegon: He works as an okay footnote in MK lore, but looks like garbage and suffers from being Taven's rival.

Didn't you write an article ranking all the characters once? Is thst still available anywhere?