Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

atomicpile posted:

This is a good deal. Been looking for a pack that’s close to try TSA max size (27000mah) and that’s a steal for one. Thanks fellow Goon.

Did this change recently? I thought 10kmah was the max?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It's 100Wh and has been for a long time now.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

It’s 100wh for TSA. Most manufactures use the nominal lithium cell voltage of 3.7 to rate their packs. mAh to watt hour conversion is (mAh)*(V)/1000 = (Wh).

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

23 Skidoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kaqYXSBreA

Saw that video's luck with Diablo IV on mostly high settings getting locked 40, so I tried it and blam. It's so good.
May go back down to medium if I notice slowdown in towns etc.
Downloaded the HD textures, but I don't really notice much of a difference if any, probably because of the whole 800p thing.
Not being able to track playtime due to it being a non-Steam game is sort've annoying.
Metadeck doesn't seem to want to track it, either.
I just want to see how much I didn't play it when some other game inevitably catches my eye.

So I bought a Steam Deck on SA-Mart and it arrived the day Diablo IV came out. First thing I did was install it and ran it on the lowest settings at locked 40fps and it kept crashing the Steam Deck. It would do a hard freeze of the game after just 5-10 min of playing, with the sound still working properly and the steam button and quick access buttons both still functioning properly. I thought that the deck just couldn't handle the game, but upon seeing other people like on this video have no issue with even higher settings - apparently these are the symptoms of a faulty power module in the APU as "sudo dmesg" in terminal showed that the GPU was reset and ring gfx_0.0.0 timeout as seen on the following steam community thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1675200/discussions/1/3186864655209404156/

On the bright side, it appears that Valve sent me a 512GB Steam Deck as a replacement for the 256GB I sent back.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TwoDice posted:

Best Buy just delivered my ally this afternoon, so that's cool.

How is it going? To get you get past the Windows Updates yet and figure out how to navigate without a touchpad?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

How is it going? To get you get past the Windows Updates yet and figure out how to navigate without a touchpad?

Mine just came a few hours ago so I’ll let you know how that goes. (I already know how it is going to go).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Was almost able to complete the windows setup with the controller which is surprising.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

ihatepants posted:

On the bright side, it appears that Valve sent me a 512GB Steam Deck as a replacement for the 256GB I sent back.

Good Guy GabeN.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The screen on the ally is real good.

I was dicking around with Fortnite medium settings 1080p and it was mostly 60. There were dips but the VRR definitely seemed to smooth them out.

The amd software doesn’t seem to be installed so I’ll not sure if the drivers are actually up to date or not.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Help, fellow Steam Deckers!

GTA 5/Online had an update today and now won't start on my Steam Deck anymore :negative:

It pulls up the same Rockstar Online login splash page and all that like it always did but then goes right back to the main steam menu. I switched from the default of no forced compatibility to Experimental, but nothing changed.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

ihatepants posted:

So I bought a Steam Deck on SA-Mart and it arrived the day Diablo IV came out. First thing I did was install it and ran it on the lowest settings at locked 40fps and it kept crashing the Steam Deck. It would do a hard freeze of the game after just 5-10 min of playing, with the sound still working properly and the steam button and quick access buttons both still functioning properly. I thought that the deck just couldn't handle the game, but upon seeing other people like on this video have no issue with even higher settings - apparently these are the symptoms of a faulty power module in the APU as "sudo dmesg" in terminal showed that the GPU was reset and ring gfx_0.0.0 timeout as seen on the following steam community thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1675200/discussions/1/3186864655209404156/

Seems you already sent yours in, but just in case it repros on your newer one, I was having the exact same issue during the beta and fixed it by increasing the VRAM in bios to 4096mb. However, the beta was much less polished and stable than D4 release so I suspect you may have hit a different issue.

Thanks,
Alex

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm surprised streaming to my deck from a ps5 is so much smoother than streaming from my desktop pc (3080). Both are on gigabit ethernet, but the desktop frequently gets pokey and compression artifacts.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Swapping out SSDs is very simple and easy

Re-imaging them is different. First of all, recommend putting the recovery image on an SD card. Second of all, it got caught in a loop but worked on a forced restart.

And now I have a 2TB internal SSD and I am buzzin'

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm surprised streaming to my deck from a ps5 is so much smoother than streaming from my desktop pc (3080). Both are on gigabit ethernet, but the desktop frequently gets pokey and compression artifacts.

Same resolution on the computer you’re using?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My go to game for the past couple weeks on the Deck is Marvel's Midnight Suns, it's really fun and looks fantastic on the Deck. Kills battery but I just play it plugged in.

Highly recommended, I wasn't really into superhero games or tactical card games but firaxis did a great job. A++

One thing I do sorta wish the Deck had was a quick resume feature like the series x/s, that is such a killer feature and once you go someplace without it you really miss it. Just being able to jump out of a game and into another and then back to the first and pick up exactly where you left it, this is the future I wanted.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Pretty good so far, the touchscreen works well and the gamepad mouse emulation seems more reliable than the desktop mode gamepad mouse emu on my steam deck, especially around keyboards. Last Epoch runs way better even at low tdp. Sleep is the weirdest part so far, it's not clear to me how long you hold the power button for sleep vs hibernate vs power off, though the soft button in the sidebar seems reliable.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

tuyop posted:

Same resolution on the computer you’re using?

Source is 1440p on PC and 4k on PS5. I run games at 1080p on my PC but haven't touched anything on the PS5 but presumably it is down scaling them when streaming to the 720p deck.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FuzzySlippers posted:

Source is 1440p on PC and 4k on PS5. I run games at 1080p on my PC but haven't touched anything on the PS5 but presumably it is down scaling them when streaming to the 720p deck.

Could be trying to stream 1440p which is pretty demanding

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

FuzzySlippers posted:

Steam in-home streaming has always been a bit iffy for me. Try Moonlight + Sunshine, they usually work significantly better (though your input options will be more limited unfortunately)

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I just went to a friend's house with my deck and played Diablo IV with them all night while I was on deck and they were on dual xboxes. It was great. At the end of the night, I noticed Battle.net had an update and I went to do it, it doesn't seem to want to do it. I used this guide:

https://steamdeckhq.com/tips-and-guides/how-battle-net-diablo-4-steam-deck/

to install Battle.net

I'm wondering if maybe I should've done it a different way but I'm having trouble finding a clear example of how to install it otherwise and have it work properly. I reloaded the game and it still works, but if I can't do updates I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before it doesn't. Tips welcome. Would like to be able to keep doing this weekly.

edit: I just tried to install it via Lutris and via a manual install and Lutris just didn't work at all, the manual install didn't have trackpad support and also crashed when trying to update battle.net ... Maybe I should've just left it alone. Ugh.

edit 2: going back to the original install, hopefully it just keeps working with the pending battle.net update. I tried a rock paper shotgun guide and that was just a mess. I just don't like feeling unstable about this working on a day to day basis, but I'll take what I can get. I've got a proper PC to play on if all else fails.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 14, 2023

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

priznat posted:

My go to game for the past couple weeks on the Deck is Marvel's Midnight Suns, it's really fun and looks fantastic on the Deck. Kills battery but I just play it plugged in.

Highly recommended, I wasn't really into superhero games or tactical card games but firaxis did a great job. A++

One thing I do sorta wish the Deck had was a quick resume feature like the series x/s, that is such a killer feature and once you go someplace without it you really miss it. Just being able to jump out of a game and into another and then back to the first and pick up exactly where you left it, this is the future I wanted.

I would've bought this in a heartbeat if it only had nothing to do with Marvel. Or any other superhero stuff.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve been playing Marvel Midnight Suns because I enjoy card game and tactical games. But my god the writing is mind-numbing and painful. Just awful.

There’s also a whole lot of arbitrary busywork and relationship mechanics. They basically took them from the recent Fire Emblem games. I’ve been trying to skip them as far as possible but it seems the game will punish you for not engaging in these mechanics.

The combat’s been decent. Scratches an itch but hasn’t impressed. I’m optimistic that it gets better, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was browsing the plugin library last night in vain hopes of finding another volume mixer, and saw that there was one that put the title of the game you're playing in your discord status. Which seemed weird to me, because doesn't that happen anyway, when you link your discord and steam accounts?

No, Discord has to be running on the same PC running the game for that status to show, just linking it won't show you playing anything.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Help, fellow Steam Deckers!

GTA 5/Online had an update today and now won't start on my Steam Deck anymore :negative:

It pulls up the same Rockstar Online login splash page and all that like it always did but then goes right back to the main steam menu. I switched from the default of no forced compatibility to Experimental, but nothing changed.

A non-surprising update to this:

Rockstar: Yeah, sorry but that's a Valve thing....

:negative:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A non-surprising update to this:

Rockstar: Yeah, sorry but that's a Valve thing....

:negative:

Recent comment on protondb says to switch to GE Proton and try some launch commands (posted in the comment)

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Hi. Drox Operative 2 is pretty good for toilet decking if you're craving for a space diablo with a bad ui. It needs some fiddling with the control scheme to streamline the experience. /end of indie recommendation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Recent comment on protondb says to switch to GE Proton and try some launch commands (posted in the comment)

I saw that, but it was from 3 weeks ago. Also, someone else said they have a native trainer running?

Is that the same as those trainers you used to be able to download for games?

Also, where do you see comments? Or are you referring to users listing their setups and experiences? If so, sorry for misunderstanding, I thought you meant other comments onto those people's posts.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I saw that, but it was from 3 weeks ago. Also, someone else said they have a native trainer running?

Is that the same as those trainers you used to be able to download for games?

Also, where do you see comments? Or are you referring to users listing their setups and experiences? If so, sorry for misunderstanding, I thought you meant other comments onto those people's posts.

This is the one I was referring to which says it’s from yesterday (similar timing to the update) but I don’t use proton db enough to know for sure

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is there a way to force Deck into a "mouse only" mode or something like that? I've previously used a mouse to do adventure games on Deck but when I tried to play Captains of Industry on it last night I had a huge problem with the cursor stalling, disappearing, then teleporting across the screen. I thought at first I was just getting poor performance with COI but I tested it on the Deck main menu after I closed it and it had the same issue.

I'm wondering if there is something going on where it's fighting for control between the Deck controls and the wireless mouse USB that is plugged into it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There should be a gamepad with mouse controller setup you can assign to the game. I believe thats all it should take?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I got a ROG Ally yesterday, but I’m considering retuning it and just waiting for the Steam Deck’s successor. Even though it’s more powerful on paper, the user experience leaves a lot to be desired. Everything on the Deck just kind of works from the get-go; with the Ally I’ve had controls stop working, mouse cursors magically pop up and disappear, and windows and applications that refuse to close without rebooting the machine. And this was all in 45 minutes of messing around with it.

I do like how you can just plug in a jump drive and transfer files like you can with any PC, but that’s a small consolation in the face of how janky everything else feels at the moment.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Almost Smart posted:

I got a ROG Ally yesterday, but I’m considering retuning it and just waiting for the Steam Deck’s successor. Even though it’s more powerful on paper, the user experience leaves a lot to be desired. Everything on the Deck just kind of works from the get-go; with the Ally I’ve had controls stop working, mouse cursors magically pop up and disappear, and windows and applications that refuse to close without rebooting the machine. And this was all in 45 minutes of messing around with it.

I do like how you can just plug in a jump drive and transfer files like you can with any PC, but that’s a small consolation in the face of how janky everything else feels at the moment.

Did you fully update it? I haven't seen any of those issues yet.

The only issue I've seen so far is that it won't do 30W mode plugged in to the charger by my bed.

The screen is a lot better I'll say that much. VRR is a big help here.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

just doing wireless SCP through like FileZilla or whatever has worked just fine as file transfer on the Deck anyway, took some initial setup but is pretty bush-button afterward

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Almost Smart posted:

This is the real killer and I think people buying it know this, or at least should. DeckOS is designed for its purpose, everything else is just using stock Windows 11 with all the issues that entails.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

njsykora posted:

This is the real killer and I think people buying it know this, or at least should. DeckOS is designed for its purpose, everything else is just using stock Windows 11 with all the issues that entails.

This is exactly what I was wondering about. I'm planning on picking up either a Deck or an Ally and the higher resolution was a big draw for me; I mainly play older or indie games so processing power is less of an issue, but pixels are pixels. More than anything what I'm looking for is a nice and convenient pick up and play experience, though, and it sounds like I might be better off with the Deck there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The deck is 100% no question better for pick up and play.

The ally is powerful and has a great screen but windows doesn’t suspend nearly as well and it doesn’t hold a charge as well either from what I’ve seen.

If you want something that you can just pick up and play most everything get a deck.

If you want to play a lot of games that the deck doesn’t support or doesn’t support well then get the Ally.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Of course there's also the option of just installing ChimeraOS on the Ally, but that kinda defeats the main appeal of the Ally.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

What cheap nvme is currently recommended?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
For what it's worth, the Steam Deck's integer scaling mode is terrific for older games. Everything looks crisp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Almost Smart posted:

I got a ROG Ally yesterday, but I’m considering retuning it and just waiting for the Steam Deck’s successor.

To be clear, I believe Valve has said we aren’t getting a steamdeck 2 any time soon.