Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Anime is absolutely terrible. Especially now. There's maybe one good series coming out every half decade, and dozens and dozens of absolute embarrassing garbage shows. Marvel is also terrible, but this does not mean anime is somehow good. I'd recommend getting into Opera and classical literature instead.

Yes, post classical literature obviously is worthless,, :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

alexandriao posted:

Yes, post classical literature obviously is worthless,, :jerkbag:

I didn't say that. I said it's better than anime.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gaius Marius posted:

What do you think of as classical literature, if I can ask.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

It is, but aren't you the "hopelessness is a meme emotion" guy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

What do you think of as classical literature, if I can ask.

It's totally arbitrary, choose whatever cut off you like. The point is that time is the great filter. Any person or company with enough capital can get a show off the ground or a movie made, but it takes actual sustained interest by real life humans for something to maintain any relevance; it must have maintained a sense of relevance for generations of people over a sustained period of time. Compare that to whatever seasonal anime is airing or random sitcom is on TV, their quality baseline is inches from the ground, and if they do manage to do something incredible they will still be there in thirty years. There's simply no reason to gamble on whatever nonsense is airing currently when there are libraries stacked to the brim with great works.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's totally arbitrary, choose whatever cut off you like. The point is that time is the great filter. Any person or company with enough capital can get a show off the ground or a movie made, but it takes actual sustained interest by real life humans for something to maintain any relevance; it must have maintained a sense of relevance for generations of people over a sustained period of time. Compare that to whatever seasonal anime is airing or random sitcom is on TV, their quality baseline is inches from the ground, and if they do manage to do something incredible they will still be there in thirty years. There's simply no reason to gamble on whatever nonsense is airing currently when there are libraries stacked to the brim with great works.

But that doesn't apply just to novels. It's true for movies and anime as well. Shows like Mobile Suit Gundam or Gunbuster have maintained a fanbase for decades, gaining new fans and continued appreciation for three generations now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

But that doesn't apply just to novels. It's true for movies and anime as well. Shows like Mobile Suit Gundam or Gunbuster have maintained a fanbase for decades, gaining new fans and continued appreciation for three generations now.

Exactly

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
hang on, just pruning my entire media collection of anything that hasn't stood the test of time for 30+ years

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
*Sadly tossing my Neon Genesis Evangelion DVDs on to the bonfire.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fortunately Jurassic Park is 30 years old today.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off
I too lack the ability to tell whether what I'm watching is good or not. That's why I only watch stuff that's old.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Lol if you think the good stuff filters out by time and not just the popular stuff

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Atticus_1354 posted:

That definition is literally trash. Just because people use it wrong enough doesn't make it right.

That is quite literally how language works

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I agree that time serves as a filter, but if you only confine yourself to things that came out decades ago you will be hopelessly out of touch with the cultural zeitgeist and your comedic sensibilities will be dated and lame at best or Mickey Rooney from breakfast at Tiffany’s at worst

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The cropping, artifacts, weird looping are almost as dated as the reference.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

christmas boots posted:

I agree that time serves as a filter, but if you only confine yourself to things that came out decades ago you will be hopelessly out of touch with the cultural zeitgeist and your comedic sensibilities will be dated and lame at best or Mickey Rooney from breakfast at Tiffany’s at worst

If keeping up with current trends is your primary concern - everybody here is old enough to be on the lookout for a nice retirement home, you won't stay "with it" indefinitely no matter how hard you try, and there's nothing sadder than a middle aged guy who still thinks he's hip with the kids or whatever.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Jun 11, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Killingyouguy! posted:

Lol if you think the good stuff filters out by time and not just the popular stuff

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Maybe popular is good because that means normal and normal is the best thing one can be.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

steinrokkan posted:

If keeping up with current trends is your primary concern - everybody here is old enough to be on the lookout for a nice retirement home, you won't stay "with it" indefinitely no matter how hard you try, and there's nothing sadder than a middle aged guy who still thinks he's hip with the kids or whatever.

Paying attention to what the art of our time is saying about our time is not quite the same thing as trying to stay hip with the youths daddy-o

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

credburn posted:

The cropping, artifacts, weird looping are almost as dated as the reference.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

christmas boots posted:

That is quite literally how language works

I rejecteth thy reality and substitute mine owneth.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

steinrokkan posted:

I was never hip with the kids even when I was one, and am happy to be an old grump who can still appreciate new things while yelling at the little shits who might also happen to enjoy them to get off my lawn

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Good things can be identified by how well-liked they are by internet nobodies

The minute you read a disparaging remark about some popular thing followed by a glowing lecture about some obscure poo poo nobody likes, you know it's the mark of quality

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think that there should be more done to help people out who are long term sick with stuff like anxiety and depression. It's stupid that bullshit jobs expect you to kill your mental health to try and justify paying you nothing.

This isn't unpopular here but it feels unpopular with dicks.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I do actually kinda want a Straight Pride Month. But only if we earn it the old fashioned way, through a week of sustained rioting against the cops.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nameless Pete posted:

I do actually kinda want a Straight Pride Month. But only if we earn it the old fashioned way, through a week of sustained rioting against the cops.

Just move to France

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
McDonald’s milkshakes are by far the worst fast food milkshake.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Gripweed posted:

McDonald’s milkshakes are by far the worst fast food milkshake.

I'm having trouble thinking of a worse one, although also I will drink a McDonalds Milk Shake if you sit it down in front of me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's like the one thing BK does better

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I think Harvey's does a pretty bad one, heavy in carageenan mouthfeel

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't know if I've ever had a shake from other fast food places...

I do remember the first time I got a Frosty I was disappointed because I thought it was a shake, not something halfway between a shake and a creemee.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The new frosties are bullshit I miss the weird grey not-quite-chocolate one that was the only option

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The older I get the more I realize that I just darn like steampunk. I don’t care that it’s not actually punk—if anything it’s an upside

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

thetoughestbean posted:

The older I get the more I realize that I just darn like steampunk. I don’t care that it’s not actually punk—if anything it’s an upside

If the plumbing at CBGB was any indicator then punks shouldn't be allowed anywhere near pressurized steam valves.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Most of our patriotic music sucks poo poo, though Stars and Stripes Forever is a banger.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Marching music is fun.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I'm jealous of foot fetishists. It seems refreshingly straightforward and it takes so little to make them happy.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

not having any grasp of contemporary culture is its own sort of cultural illiteracy

like even with the most classic of classics, if you were actually around in 1820, appreciating Beethoven the way people would have at the time would have meant listening to a lot of other early 19th century German music, much of which was "trash" that got buried by later generations, but was part of the bourgeois musical culture of the time as much as Ludwig Van was.

Killingyouguy! posted:

a lot of what passes the filter is determined by how later artists look back at art and take influence from it, the experience of approaching the same art as a classic or as contemporary are totally different

to go back to Beethoven, when an educated person listens to Beethoven today their impressions are filtered through Wagner, Brahms, Mahler...even film and jazz music. You're not really hearing the contemporary Beethoven but the remembered Beethoven.

Aramek posted:

Maybe popular is good because that means normal and normal is the best thing one can be.

the whole SA self hating nerd cringe thing has always been one of the worst things about this site, nerds are normal now and nobody cares anymore

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 06:52 on Jun 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I care. Nerds should go back in the locker