Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I've never really played with people other than a teacher in over 20 years and never played in a band or wrote an entire song. I should try these activities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

I've never really played with people other than a teacher in over 20 years and never played in a band or wrote an entire song. I should try these activities

Every time I try getting a collaboration going with someone they never want to follow through. I've got friends that play guitar and drums and bass and sing and I'm like "I will literally write all the other parts if you want me to just come record something" so I'm always stuck doing it all on my own

which is just as well I guess, I have fun with it and I'm a bit of a control freak/shy anyhow

and to keep it guitar relevant, here's another track from that gothy-rock project I'm working on
everyone loves reverse delay right
https://voca.ro/14tJZDnl6MDF

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Harton posted:

Also you should let your guitar player write the lead parts. I wouldn’t wanna be in a band where 1 person dictated what we were all supposed to do. Be Prince if you wanna go down that road, bands should be more about collaboration.

i'm the only guitar player, actually. i want my bass player to be able to kind of tell what i'm doing and be able to do stuff with it.

and yeah i'm way ahead of you. i used to only bring in guitar chords and first but they actually wanted me to give them something more to work off of. usually for the drums i'll program a sketch or the vague stock type of beat that works rhythmically, and then she'll take that and play it like a real drummer would. like, i'll program in "kick snare kick kick snare" almost because i need that looped to write to, finding the stock type of beat for each section. but she'll stick something more interesting in there that works just as good if not better, and write her own fills. she's a loving excellent musician-- drummer for ten years when i met her and had specialized in jazz for four. just to sing her praises, i had a song kicking around for a while and said "we should just do the middle part in 6/8". all i had to do was say that, play the transition a few times (like, the last progression of the verse chords, then the bridge), and it took her just a few minutes to work out the metric modulation and get there.

bass player just kinda starts with the root notes and he has a good sense of other good stuff to do, during fills or just doing things other than playing root notes an octave down. usually he'll throw a structural idea my way that's good, too -- he's less specialized but a musician for a long time.

for the first few months or so they were always buggin me to bring more in and asking me what i wanted, so i started trying to make those decisions.

it actually kind of started on accident--

i had always sent snippets of what i was writing to friends of mine, cause i was writing something and then feeling cool about it, then sending the clip to people. eventually i made friends with people in music school, so i'd do that with them.

the both of them individually said they wanted to work on something with me cause they liked the songs generally, and i knew they were both good musicians and liked each other.

but yeah i'm definitely not stalin. i try to get them to write and bring songs in, actually. i like what they write a lot. they're just not as obsessive about writing songs, so it's me most of the time.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

landgrabber posted:

songwriters who've had or been in bands: how do you write out songs to give to people? how do you communicate things like chord rhythm/melody/lead parts/structure?

so far i've been trying to just make jazz lead sheets for it but it's been difficult because i always make some kind of mistake, and it's maybe not the most intuitive format for like, emo songs.

Usually someone in our band brings an idea to practice and we just jam on it until something comes out.

Other than that we usually just share riffs and what the chords are via Slack

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

landgrabber posted:

i'm the only guitar player, actually. i want my bass player to be able to kind of tell what i'm doing and be able to do stuff with it.

and yeah i'm way ahead of you. i used to only bring in guitar chords and first but they actually wanted me to give them something more to work off of. usually for the drums i'll program a sketch or the vague stock type of beat that works rhythmically, and then she'll take that and play it like a real drummer would. like, i'll program in "kick snare kick kick snare" almost because i need that looped to write to, finding the stock type of beat for each section. but she'll stick something more interesting in there that works just as good if not better, and write her own fills. she's a loving excellent musician-- drummer for ten years when i met her and had specialized in jazz for four. just to sing her praises, i had a song kicking around for a while and said "we should just do the middle part in 6/8". all i had to do was say that, play the transition a few times (like, the last progression of the verse chords, then the bridge), and it took her just a few minutes to work out the metric modulation and get there.

bass player just kinda starts with the root notes and he has a good sense of other good stuff to do, during fills or just doing things other than playing root notes an octave down. usually he'll throw a structural idea my way that's good, too -- he's less specialized but a musician for a long time.

for the first few months or so they were always buggin me to bring more in and asking me what i wanted, so i started trying to make those decisions.

it actually kind of started on accident--

i had always sent snippets of what i was writing to friends of mine, cause i was writing something and then feeling cool about it, then sending the clip to people. eventually i made friends with people in music school, so i'd do that with them.

the both of them individually said they wanted to work on something with me cause they liked the songs generally, and i knew they were both good musicians and liked each other.

but yeah i'm definitely not stalin. i try to get them to write and bring songs in, actually. i like what they write a lot. they're just not as obsessive about writing songs, so it's me most of the time.

That sounds awesome! Someone definitely has to take the reigns a bit, it’s like herding cats sometimes. It’s hard to find the right balance between “hey fuckers we need to get to work” and just jamming and having fun.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

lazerwolf posted:

Usually someone in our band brings an idea to practice and we just jam on it until something comes out.

Other than that we usually just share riffs and what the chords are via Slack

Yeah same here, we do good original jams but haven’t turned any of them into a song yet.

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Every time I try getting a collaboration going with someone they never want to follow through. I've got friends that play guitar and drums and bass and sing and I'm like "I will literally write all the other parts if you want me to just come record something" so I'm always stuck doing it all on my own

which is just as well I guess, I have fun with it and I'm a bit of a control freak/shy anyhow

and to keep it guitar relevant, here's another track from that gothy-rock project I'm working on
everyone loves reverse delay right
https://voca.ro/14tJZDnl6MDF

I'm usually a habitual lurker, unless something draws me out of the shadows.
I'm in a very similar situation. I keep flipping from wanting to work with others, and taking solace in the ritual I have built for myself.

Lately, I've been either working on writing and performing my solo guitar compositions, or my darker side, an electronic/synth/guitar project.
Here's a track that lead me down that path:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT1UCtCbusw

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

landgrabber posted:

songwriters who've had or been in bands: how do you write out songs to give to people? how do you communicate things like chord rhythm/melody/lead parts/structure?

so far i've been trying to just make jazz lead sheets for it but it's been difficult because i always make some kind of mistake, and it's maybe not the most intuitive format for like, emo songs.

so the EP my band is recording right now was written by the guitar player almost exclusively and his technique was recording entire songs by himself and giving examples for everyone to embellish on. he even made tabs but I usually just learned by watching him play or just going off instinct lol.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Harton posted:

That sounds awesome! Someone definitely has to take the reigns a bit, it’s like herding cats sometimes. It’s hard to find the right balance between “hey fuckers we need to get to work” and just jamming and having fun.

i got into music because i was interested in writing music and i'm queer and ate a lot of lunches with my english teachers, i wanted to write songs. i do like learning other people's songs but i didn't know the joy of that until after i started.

on the other hand, they both were kind of just interested in playing music and actually did band in middle/high school (keep in mind the oldest one of us is 22). i spent my time in high school trying to teach myself guitar and write songs.

i'm for sure a better writer than performer. i gently caress up basic poo poo all the time, and i have a really bad tendency to not be able to stop myself from trying new things or varying already-written material at inconvenient times.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

You are on the right track for sure! I need to write something of my own one of these days. I used to write lead guitar parts for my first band but I’ve only managed to be in cover bands ever since. Didn’t start playing until I was like 22 I think, so you are already way ahead of where I was. You’ll be loving amazing by the time your an old like me!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If it's a bass or guitar part I might provide a basic part and expect them to refine or embellish it. I always would just teach them the part during practice or call out chords as I'm playing.

I'm not a drummer but I might highlight what beats I want highlighted or suggest a sort of rudimentary thing like "have a sort of marching snare thing" or "really jungle, just all over the toms" or "play somethingkinda sparse but keep stepping on the high hat in eighths." Vocals I'm usually pretty open on what a singer should do, but I might suggest dynamic changes for each part.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Does anyone have any weird techniques that just work for them? I'm really focusing on relaxing and not gripping so hard or tilting the neck so I can see the fretboard (real foundational bad self-taught habits) and I find if I tell myself the headstock is "stinky" and I need to get it away from me, my posture instantly corrects, and thus my grip.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I wish we had someone who could force an original song out of us. I have a hard time with words and melodys.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How do you get muscle memory for chord shapes? I’m trying to internalize them starting with D, with the “play chord -> slap thigh -> play chord” exercise. But I can’t tell if I’m supposed to be this slow and awkward in the beginning, or if I’ve got some sort of dexterity issue or something. I can keep doing the exercise over and over, but I have no idea if it’s actually helping yet.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Harton posted:

I wish we had someone who could force an original song out of us. I have a hard time with words and melodys.

its too bad bluesdad dipshit decided to get permabanned by gbs mods instead of just hanging out and being the guitar thread muse

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

How do you get muscle memory for chord shapes? I’m trying to internalize them starting with D, with the “play chord -> slap thigh -> play chord” exercise. But I can’t tell if I’m supposed to be this slow and awkward in the beginning, or if I’ve got some sort of dexterity issue or something. I can keep doing the exercise over and over, but I have no idea if it’s actually helping yet.

Just endless repetition for years

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Eventually when you have a few down start learning songs and just strumming and singing to them. Eventually work in new songs with like 1 new chord and practice that for a while.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

You are on track though, I firmly believe anyone can learn guitar or some version of it. It just takes a lot longer than you think it will. But as long as you never stop playing eventually you get pretty decent to where it’s fun to play. Keep doing that and eventually you’ll be good.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

its too bad bluesdad dipshit decided to get permabanned by gbs mods instead of just hanging out and being the guitar thread muse

Lol yeah I need a writing partner maybe.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

on the other hand subforums having pet weirdos is a bad thing and the gbs mods finally giving up on one of theirs is a sign these dead gay comedy forums are healing

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to1WZJfCUTQ

Can someone with better ears help me? I can't pick the chord between the G and C in the verse and I don't recognise the fingering.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

on the other hand subforums having pet weirdos is a bad thing and the gbs mods finally giving up on one of theirs is a sign these dead gay comedy forums are healing

it was really funny realizing that that was him, only knowing him from posts ITT. rip bluesdad you have done more to inspire me to record original music than any of the five beatles

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

sick, love it

sick, love it

Elissimpark posted:

Can someone with better ears help me? I can't pick the chord between the G and C in the verse and I don't recognise the fingering.

I think it's an F with a hammer-on? (think F barre chord without playing the top or bottom strings). Something like this maybe?
code:
e---------
B--1---1
G--0-h-2
D--3---3
A--3---3
E--x---x

TheKub
May 11, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

wow the rechargeable has a little switching circuit inside? Yea that'll do it. That's wild.

Here's a video of the noisy-rear end battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-6hw2OPjKA

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to1WZJfCUTQ

My ears are no good OP, but that looks like it could be something like G->Dm7(?)->G7sus4->C to me.

So the passing chord fingerings would be:
code:
e---x---x
B---3---3
G---2---0
D---3---3
A---3---3
E---x---x
Strummed it a few times just now and it sounded close. I'm really betting on the 4th finger holding a D there, which is hard to see in the video.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TheKub posted:

mother of GOD

TheKub
May 11, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

mother of GOD

I should have known better than to buy a product where they advertise mWh instead of mAh because it has a bigger number.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
Start a noise project where you just put the battery in and walk off the stage

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Major Operation posted:

My ears are no good OP, but that looks like it could be something like G->Dm7(?)->G7sus4->C to me.

code:
e---x---x
B---3---3
G---2---0
D---3---3
A---3---3
E---x---x
Strummed it a few times just now and it sounded close. I'm really betting on the 4th finger holding a D there, which is hard to see in the video.

This seems really close to right to me. I may be hearing things but I swear that G is ringing out on the 5th in that second chord and it kinda looks like his pinky is creeping so maybe he's doing something like
code:
e---x---x---x
B---3---3---3
G---2h5-2---0
D---3---3---3
A---3---3---3
E---x---x---x
or I could be hearing things

TheKub posted:

gently caress yeah, that's a sound Merzbow would covet

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

If you mean by their impact on pop-culture and sustained influence and reputation, I can't think of any that haven't soured their own legacy. Nirvana, maybe qualify?

I also think that it used to be easier to be a big fish in a small pond but now it is so much harder to get really huge. I don't know if it's true.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I also think that it used to be easier to be a big fish in a small pond but now it is so much harder to get really huge. I don't know if it's true.

It's weird because my kid has her playlist of Ed Sheeran, Billie Eilish, etc. but she's pretty much got an equal mixture of stuff like The Police, Hot Chip, and Queen. She has a Wu-Tang shirt and the neighbor's kid has a Nirvana shirt. You can say "I like progressive Canadian alt-rock with blues/country influences" and someone will throw out a band like Big Wreck. There's really a form of music for anything that anyone likes these days and it's super accessible - you don't need to wait for something big to hit the AM radio station.

It feels like the next huge band would have to ride the wave of some major technical invention like (good) virtual reality or something.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

fullroundaction posted:

I think it's an F with a hammer-on? (think F barre chord without playing the top or bottom strings). Something like this maybe?
code:
e---------
B--1---1
G--0-h-2
D--3---3
A--3---3
E--x---x

Major Operation posted:

code:
e---x---x
B---3---3
G---2---0
D---3---3
A---3---3
E---x---x

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This seems really close to right to me. I may be hearing things but I swear that G is ringing out on the 5th in that second chord and it kinda looks like his pinky is creeping so maybe he's doing something like
code:
e---x---x---x
B---3---3---3
G---2h5-2---0
D---3---3---3
A---3---3---3
E---x---x---x
or I could be hearing things

gently caress yeah, that's a sound Merzbow would covet

Yeah, that looks/sounds right. I realised he also plays a variation later where he takes the E--3 and A--2 from the G up two strings:

code:
e---3--
B---3--
G---2--
D---3--
A---x--
E---x--
Thanks for the help!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Harton posted:

Just endless repetition for years

Well yeah but I assume that repetition is, like, competent instead of random bullshit.

Harton posted:

Eventually when you have a few down start learning songs and just strumming and singing to them. Eventually work in new songs with like 1 new chord and practice that for a while.

I’m actually not that interested in songs that are just strum chord X N times -> strum chord Y N times -> repeat. When I make a chord shape, my mind doesn’t go to the sound a strum makes, I think about how cool it would be to play each string in a particular order. And how nice it’d sound as you change between chords while playing the strings. Isn’t there a term for picking individual strings instead of strumming entire chords? I don’t remember the name.

Harton posted:

You are on track though, I firmly believe anyone can learn guitar or some version of it. It just takes a lot longer than you think it will. But as long as you never stop playing eventually you get pretty decent to where it’s fun to play. Keep doing that and eventually you’ll be good.

I really do hope so :negative: I am fine with need to come to terms with long term effort and progress, but I can’t help but feel discouraged and think that I’m fundamentally incapable of something instead of just not practiced or learned. I have some sort of hosed up can’t-ever-get-better mentality, IDK what it is.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pollyanna posted:

Well yeah but I assume that repetition is, like, competent instead of random bullshit.

I’m actually not that interested in songs that are just strum chord X N times -> strum chord Y N times -> repeat. When I make a chord shape, my mind doesn’t go to the sound a strum makes, I think about how cool it would be to play each string in a particular order. And how nice it’d sound as you change between chords while playing the strings. Isn’t there a term for picking individual strings instead of strumming entire chords? I don’t remember the name.

I really do hope so :negative: I am fine with need to come to terms with long term effort and progress, but I can’t help but feel discouraged and think that I’m fundamentally incapable of something instead of just not practiced or learned. I have some sort of hosed up can’t-ever-get-better mentality, IDK what it is.

You're thinking of arpeggios (literally "broken chords"). Chord fluency will help there, along with understanding which scale tones chords are built on.

I think you'd be hard pushed to find a guitarist who hasn't felt this way at some point. It's hard. It's a surprisingly quirky instrument despite its ubiquity and there's a reason most guitarists quit. Push through, it'll be worth it.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My guitar professor said something that really helped when I hit brick walls like that which was, "No one was born knowing how to use a keyboard, but now you can type without looking. Guitar is the same"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Disco Pope posted:

You're thinking of arpeggios (literally "broken chords"). Chord fluency will help there, along with understanding which scale tones chords are built on.

I know what arpeggios are, I was thinking something along the lines of fingerstyle (except that’s different AFAICT). The kinda thing you see classical guitarists do.

quote:

I think you'd be hard pushed to find a guitarist who hasn't felt this way at some point. It's hard. It's a surprisingly quirky instrument despite its ubiquity and there's a reason most guitarists quit. Push through, it'll be worth it.

I’ll keep pushing - maybe the problem is that I’m getting too worked up over it.

Buschmaki posted:

My guitar professor said something that really helped when I hit brick walls like that which was, "No one was born knowing how to use a keyboard, but now you can type without looking. Guitar is the same"

Yeah, but it took me my entire life to get as good as I am today, I’m certainly far from perfect or possibly even great, and I still make typos and occasionally check where my fingers are anyway. Plus it’s what I do for my job so I’m always doing it.

Okay yeah I’m definitely psyching myself out here. It’s probably brain problems again.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, but it took me my entire life to get as good as I am today, I’m certainly far from perfect or possibly even great, and I still make typos and occasionally check where my fingers are anyway. Plus it’s what I do for my job so I’m always doing it.

Okay yeah I’m definitely psyching myself out here. It’s probably brain problems again.

If you're trying to type someone else's story word for word, punctuation mark for punctuation mark, you'll have to practice and memorize forever

if you're only trying to type the jist of the story using your own phrasing and embellishments, you'll be able to do that just after reading it maybe a single time

you'll never learn to play just like somebody else, but eventually you'll find your own voice and nobody will be able to play just like you

also as for the picking, you may want to look into the phrase "travis picking" or other fingerpicking patterns

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 14, 2023

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

As someone who tried learning as a kid (12 years old) and quit after a few months, then decided as an adult to try again, it hasn’t been a straight line of improvement. I’ve been pretty consistent about carving out 30 minutes a day, sometimes a little more, for the last year. That said, it is also very clear that I’ve improved both from the beginning so that keeps me going. So even if you don’t feel like you’re where you want to be, you’re still moving forward and that’s ultimately what matters.

For me, I went from not knowing any open chords to being able to play all the E/Em and A/Am shaped barre chords along with their DGBe/GBe versions (which I guess are technically 2nd and 3rd inversions), switching between them fairly easily. I can play a bunch of rhythm guitar in songs start to finish, although some of the lead stuff still trips me up.

I also like songs that are more strum heavy than straight arpeggios, since I like more Alt-Rock/Post Hardcore. It’s helped with my rhythm and overall enjoyment as I can play along and that is fun for me an a huge accomplishment in my own mind.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I know "stick with it" isn't exciting and it feels like you're working through the bullshit now, but that's because you are working through the bullshit now. Right now you're learning to crawl, try not to get frustrated that you aren't doing parkour yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Hondo really doesn't deserve the bad reputation they have. They at least tried some different stuff in the 80s.

Hondo Professional H-1030, made in Japan ~1979 by Matsumoku. It has some miles on it, that's for sure. Original MMK humbucker in the neck, looks like a Super Distortion in the bridge, but I'll find out when I change strings. Coil tap switch tip is broke off, so that'll need replacing. Ash body with maple and walnut strips in the center, 3 piece maple neck. Gold hardware that doesn't have a trace of the gold left.

I was going to try to really clean it up and maybe refinish, but the neck wear changed my mind. I'll scrub off the funk, er, "patina" and that's about it.