Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

watching one of the shitheads on your team do something like this,

https://twitter.com/GinoHard_/status/1667729483556683778

after having been posting winky faces about how maybe vegas shouldn't shove the other team into their net,

is an extremely funny turd-brained type of situation to see unfold here on these great forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
is there a single league that isn't a "copycat" one? It's a filler phrase that gets thrown around

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

God I love message sending at the end of playoff games. So pointless but completely entertaining.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A better message is probably winning a game but

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
The ultimate messages are sent in the handshake line (harder grip means more respect)

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Watching it live it almost looked like everything exploded without cause, but the replays made it pretty obvious.
It owned imo.

1 on 1 drop the gloves and grab the opponent's jersey-fights are lame and should be banned, but chaotic brawls rule.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aye Doc posted:

watching one of the shitheads on your team do something like this, after having been posting winky faces about how maybe vegas shouldn't shove the other team into their net,
is an extremely funny turd-brained type of situation to see unfold here on these great forums

Yeah that owned sorry bud

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Getting his rear end beat for it did own.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Lessail posted:

is there a single league that isn't a "copycat" one? It's a filler phrase that gets thrown around

Glad to see you're okay. After Vegas won instead of collapsing uncontrollably into an icy black hole, I was worried you might need a wellness check.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The lesson seems pretty clear, if you want to win the Cup you get yourself a Makar/Toews or Hedman/McDonagh type of core. If you want to lose in the finals you just need a couple of lower-tier talents and to fill out the rest of your D corps with total shitheads.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Where does a load bearing cup winning Ron Hainsey fall on that scale?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Paul Maurice teams, still keepin' it classy after all these years.

Realtalk though, it's not going to matter since the Knights are just better and Hill managed to hold onto Game 4 for them, but boy howdy did Cassidy get outcoached by Maurice last night. The Knights just completely fell apart after the zany pinball goal late in the 2nd to make it 3-1, and it got a lot worse after the intermission. You could feel the whole drat team's assholes tighten to the point of acute constipation and stay that way the whole third period. That game would have taken five years off my life if I were VGK fan, and if Florida had scored at the very end and won in OT it would have sent me on a four state crime spree.

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

Edit nm

Literally fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 12, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
We've replaced the Vegas Golden Knights with the Toronto Maple Leafs wearing Knights jerseys. Let's see if anyone notices...

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Eric the Mauve posted:

Paul Maurice teams, still keepin' it classy after all these years.

Realtalk though, it's not going to matter since the Knights are just better and Hill managed to hold onto Game 4 for them, but boy howdy did Cassidy get outcoached by Maurice last night. \

Could you expand? The last game just looked like a melee to me me with Florida redlining it with few whistles.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Eric the Mauve posted:

We've replaced the Vegas Golden Knights with the Toronto Maple Leafs wearing Knights jerseys. Let's see if anyone notices...

It's me, I'm the guy still booing John Tavares

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Was thinking about how Kessel is gonna get his name on the Cup again and was wondering -

The requirements to get your name engraved are to play 41 regular season games OR 1 SCF game, right? So, if a guy played every regular season game until the trade deadline, and then got traded to a non-playoff team, and then his original team goes on to win the Cup, can the guy get his name on it?

I assume the answer is “no”, because he’s not on the team anymore. But what’s the difference between that theoretical guy, and a theoretical guy that plays every game until the TDL and then gets sent to the AHL and never sees NHL ice again?

I assume MAYBE the team or league could make an exception if the guy is retiring or something? Has anything like this ever happened?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

OldSenileGuy posted:

Was thinking about how Kessel is gonna get his name on the Cup again and was wondering -

The requirements to get your name engraved are to play 41 regular season games OR 1 SCF game, right? So, if a guy played every regular season game until the trade deadline, and then got traded to a non-playoff team, and then his original team goes on to win the Cup, can the guy get his name on it?

I assume the answer is “no”, because he’s not on the team anymore. But what’s the difference between that theoretical guy, and a theoretical guy that plays every game until the TDL and then gets sent to the AHL and never sees NHL ice again?

I assume MAYBE the team or league could make an exception if the guy is retiring or something? Has anything like this ever happened?

The team can petition to have a player name added. Teams get 53 (this doesn't seem right, but that's what the article says) name slots and can probably add folks if they are under that threshold and make a convincing argument to the league.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/daniel-carcillo-jamal-mayers-could-be-left-off-of-stanley-cup/2072534/

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That's largely correct but teams have a maximum of 52 name slots on the cup inclusive of management, ownership and coaches. There is no limit to how that's divided up. In 2013 the Hawks had 27 players on the cup including Jamal Mayers who played just 19 games.

The most prominent example of petition added player was Vladimir Konstantinov in 98 who was seriously injured in a car accident after the 97 cup and played no games.

In response to your original question, you're right. A player who is no longer with the franchise is not eligible for inclusion on the cup. The Stanley Cup is won by teams not individuals, so being a member of a team that did not win it would immediately disqualify you.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 14, 2023

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Remember when Peter Pocklington had his dad’s name snuck onto the Cup and the NHL caught wind of it and had the name stamped out with X’s?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The other recent-ish example was Pascal Dupuis, who retired due to poor health in December 2015, but was added to the cup when the Pens won in 2016.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gonz posted:

Remember when Peter Pocklington had his dad’s name snuck onto the Cup and the NHL caught wind of it and had the name stamped out with X’s?

Pocklington claims to this day the engraver screwed up and used the wrong list of names.

Brad Aldrich became the second player Xed off the cup a few years ago.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

if kessel retires after tonight he deserves one more hot dog day with the cup

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Jacques Plante has his name misspelled 5 times on the cup.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

deoju posted:

Jacques Plante has his name misspelled 5 times on the cup.

Turk Broda is the only guy to appear on the cup twice in one year (1942) because the engraver didn't realize Turk was a nickname and put Turk Broda and Walter Broda on the cup.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I know George Parros didn't meet the criteria for the Ducks 2007 Cup but they must have petitioned for him. Sean Avery did not get his name on the 2002 Cup but he received a mini replica Cup that all players get.

Why do they X out the names? Can they not solder/weld new metal into the cavities and fill them in? Xing them out just gives it a story.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

Why do they X out the names? Can they not solder/weld new metal into the cavities and fill them in? Xing them out just gives it a story.

The lettering is all done by hand and the cup is silver. It's very difficult to stamp. They'd have to redo the entire ring to fix mistakes. They also add to the mystique and lore of the cup like the BQSTQN BRUINS. The Stanley Cup is very cool.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

The lettering is all done by hand and the cup is silver. It's very difficult to stamp.

It only has to look good from a distance most of the time anyway, like in this genuine photograph of Phil Kessel hoisting the Cup an hour from now.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

eXXon posted:

It only has to look good from a distance most of the time anyway, like in this genuine photograph of Phil Kessel hoisting the Cup an hour from now.

I laughed way too hard at this goddamn

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Gonz posted:

Bumonton

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Congratulations to the 2023 Stanley Cup Champion Vegas Golden Knights.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Happy for Quick and Martinez.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Seeing Florida get loving ground into paste drat near almost makes me feel better about the Stars losing

gently caress the Knights though

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oops, I forgot the game was tonight, let’s just check the score…

Oh lord.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Cartoon Man posted:

Oops, I forgot the game was tonight, let’s just check the score…

Oh lord.

Are you a Florida Panther???? XD :awesome: :lol: :laffo: :alonso: :dumbbravo: :foksmash: :lando: :smugmrgw:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Grats lessail. your harrowing emotional journey has finally paid off.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

eXXon posted:

C'mon, this is so clearly a fake. For starters, there's no hot dog

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Mr. Kite posted:

Happy for Quick and Martinez.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Well it looks like the wait is probably over. After six long years since finding out hockey existed, Vegas fans get to see their team win a Cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

lol Florida