Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Purely based on memory of a friend's copy of the original Galaxy Trucker the remake seems pretty feature complete and with good components and everything. I'm also pretty sure the new version's expansion introduces entirely new mechanical stuff with several parts based on burning excess cargo for fuel instead of just chucking it when replacing it with higher value cargo. That may have been something that wound up in the original expansions though, but it seemed new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I finally got a new iPad to replace my elderly 8 year old model. What are some good board games I should check out to put on it for trips?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Funzo posted:

I finally got a new iPad to replace my elderly 8 year old model. What are some good board games I should check out to put on it for trips?
The usual suspects:

Hero Realms/Star Realms/Epic
7 Wonders/7 Wonders Duel
Through The Ages
Terraforming Mars
Ticket To Ride

Catan, Wingspan, Carcassone - any game that sells well enough to become a staple seems to get a phone/tablet/desktop version made of itself

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

FMguru posted:

The usual suspects:

Hero Realms/Star Realms/Epic
7 Wonders/7 Wonders Duel
Through The Ages
Terraforming Mars
Ticket To Ride

Catan, Wingspan, Carcassone - any game that sells well enough to become a staple seems to get a phone/tablet/desktop version made of itself

The Galaxy Trucker app is great too.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Inhuman Conditions finally got a new edition available, it's more compact and doesn't fold out to make the play area like the first edition. Is it a worthy pickup? Not really a group game and more of a couples night game really.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the board game apps I play the most on my iphone are:

1. through the ages w/ expansion (by far the most with like 400+ completed games, its game length of about 22 minutes lines up perfectly with the subway trip I take to visit friends occasionally, I only win against two or three hard AI ~75% of the time. huge battery drainer though)

2. race for the galaxy
3. concordia
4. agricola
5. wingspan

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
The correct answer, already mentioned a few times, is Through The Ages: A New Story of Civilization.

The Root app is pretty good to, though it's not as suited for async play because of the bloody Ambushes. Did they ever did anything about that to make it less slow / spoiling that people have ambushes?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The best iOS board game is Slay the Spire

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Deathlove posted:

pry my anniversary edition from my cold dead hands

Also Vlaada manuals are the best. Ask the kid which part of the ship is the most important to build :eng101:

Vlaada manuals are funny, easy to read, great thematics in explaining rule exceptions, but horrible to look something up in.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Honestly most boardgame apps I've tried have been decent.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

OperaMouse posted:

Vlaada manuals are funny, easy to read, great thematics in explaining rule exceptions, but horrible to look something up in.
I'm increasingly fond of games that have two rulebooks - one that it chatty and holds your hand and has lots of pictures and examples, and a second which is in very precise legalistic language and comprehensive and fully cross-referenced.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Quixotic1 posted:

Inhuman Conditions finally got a new edition available, it's more compact and doesn't fold out to make the play area like the first edition. Is it a worthy pickup? Not really a group game and more of a couples night game really.

This is a tough one because it is basically an improv prompt and not a game. It all looks very cool and acts as a good prompt, especially with the companion app, but the game is going to be as good as the players can make it. It basically falls apart if you “play to win” and assumes that players are in the spirit of the game on their own.

I loved the concept and components, so I bought the original release and watched all my player group totally freeze up when sat down to play. I’ll probably end up selling or trading it someday, if I can find a local buyer. It probably isn’t worthwhile to ship.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FMguru posted:

I'm increasingly fond of games that have two rulebooks - one that it chatty and holds your hand and has lots of pictures and examples, and a second which is in very precise legalistic language and comprehensive and fully cross-referenced.

The problem with a lot of attempts at this is that either the reference isn't comprehensive (looking at every FFG dual rulebook ever) or the learn to play book is too scripted to actually teach people anything (Wehlre books).

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The other problem is when the two aren't in agreement.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Speaking of FFG, anyone checked out the gameplay preview of Marvel D.A.G.G.E.R.?

I have very low interest in adding another Marvel-themed game to my collection but this one seems to borrow gameplay elements from Arkham/Eldritch Horror and Marvel Champions which makes it slightly intriguing. The smart move is probably just to play those prior games which are already known to be good.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

PRADA SLUT posted:

The best iOS board game is Slay the Spire

I'm not even mad. Also this reminded me of the Slay the Spire board game which is so funny to me given the lineage. Wonder how that's going.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Quixotic1 posted:

Wait, really?! I just tried googling, but I couldn't find anything on the new edition, beyond a picture of the box. I'd be interested, personally, if it makes it any less of a pain to get a hold of, here in Australia.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You make a good point

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pvt. Parts posted:

I'm not even mad. Also this reminded me of the Slay the Spire board game which is so funny to me given the lineage. Wonder how that's going.

Kickstarter made a mint, it's in production. I've played it, but I don't want to own it. It's as good a representation of the computer version as it could be without being insanely overburdened with components, and it can be played multiplayer, but it's so much slower when you have paperwork and pieces to handle.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Jedit posted:

Kickstarter made a mint, it's in production. I've played it, but I don't want to own it. It's as good a representation of the computer version as it could be without being insanely overburdened with components, and it can be played multiplayer, but it's so much slower when you have paperwork and pieces to handle.

drat, that was my concern as soon as I heard the announcement. Heard they were making a boardgame out of it and I thought of the many times I watched the video game version smoothly gather up my hand, shuffle my giant deck, deal me a new hand, and manage the 15 different ticking passives I have.

I can definitely see how player turns in the late game get rapidly out of hand.

I'll still definitely try the tabletop version because StS has been a staple of mine for years now, and now that I have it on my phone I get even more mileage out of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Decon posted:

drat, that was my concern as soon as I heard the announcement. Heard they were making a boardgame out of it and I thought of the many times I watched the video game version smoothly gather up my hand, shuffle my giant deck, deal me a new hand, and manage the 15 different ticking passives I have.

The passives aren't actually the problem. They're tracked simply with cubes, as are the attack patterns. Debuffs tend to last one turn or cover the next attack. It all flows very nicely and it's a good game. It's just that it's impossible for it to be as streamlined. A run of video Spire takes 45-60 minutes, a run of physical Spire takes as long per player per act.

Physical Spire actually reminds me a lot of Hoplomachus Victorum. You wouldn't be able to prise me off a digital version of HV, and I play the physical version less than I enjoy it because of its length.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Jedit posted:

The passives aren't actually the problem. They're tracked simply with cubes, as are the attack patterns. Debuffs tend to last one turn or cover the next attack. It all flows very nicely and it's a good game. It's just that it's impossible for it to be as streamlined. A run of video Spire takes 45-60 minutes, a run of physical Spire takes as long per player per act.

Physical Spire actually reminds me a lot of Hoplomachus Victorum. You wouldn't be able to prise me off a digital version of HV, and I play the physical version less than I enjoy it because of its length.

Yeah sorry I guess I conveyed my concern wrong. I'm sure that's all well managed on the tabletop and StS digital is a good game, so it's gonna be a good game on the tabletop, but all that little stuff adds up. It only takes half a second to move a cube, and only like 10 seconds to shuffle a deck, but you multiply that by 4, add a few "oops I forgot my _____"s (which you can say "just don't forget" but after many hours of Gloom/Frosthaven, forgetting just happens), and throw in a healthy pinch of AP, and poo poo adds up.

To be clearer, I was hoping they'd found clever ways to pare the game down so that a 4 player game making it through act 3 isn't gonna be an overlong ordeal because, at present, my group barely gets our very long games (Twilight Imperium, Mage Knight) to the table.

So, just to be clear, are you saying you'd say a full run of table Spire is (potentially) gonna come out as 1 hour * 3 acts * 4 players?

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
The game is on Tabletop Sim (not 100% but most of it is there) and in my playthroughs captured much of the feel of the game while not being too onerous as far as jank. They pared down the game to essentials but it’s still not as easy to get a run in as digital. I wouldn’t say it’s that bad time wise but a full spire run with all players would probably take 4-5 hours.

I was very tempted but passed on the project because I have better co-op options and for solo would definitely just play digital. This is as someone with nearly 600 hours of StS logged on my phone. I will absolutely pick it up if it’s available for a decent price retail or used, even just to frame my favorite cards if it never gets played.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Tekopo posted:

You make a good point

I had said there was a goon itt that played StS on TTS and had positive things to say. But then I thought StS wasn't on TTS and I was misremembering. It turned out I wasn't though, which is nice.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
A couple small games that made a good impression recently are Tinderblox and Ghosts of Christmas.

Tinderblox is a small dexterity game that is super simple to explain and plays quick. Comes in a small tin. It's a tower-building-with-blocks kind of game, but the idea is you're building a communal fire. All of the pieces are either logs (brown "long" cubes) or flames (yellow or red cubes).

The "thing" is that every turn the active player flips up a card, and that card shows a simple sub-assembly (like a single log with one flame cube on each end) that must first be built, then added to the fire using the included pair of tweezers -- sometimes with your non-dominant hand. If you cause the structure to collapse, you're eliminated. That's it! Not super deep but a good filler and would be great with kids.

Ghosts of Christmas I purchased because it sounded intriguing and a bit weird, and it sure is that. But we enjoyed it a lot. It's a four-suit trick-tacking game (with one suit being a perma-trump suit.)
What sets the game apart is how scoring is done, and how it uses a past-present-future temporal element to determine scoring.

Each player ends up playing one card into each era of their own personal little mini-timeline: past, present, and future. (So laying down three total cards each per hand.) In each era therefore the cards are set, but the order in which they are "played" (resolved) is not yet determined. Players are essentially laying out the cards for a trick-taking round as though they were action programming, and then the cards are resolved once all the cards are down: the winner of the "Past" trick ends up setting the scoring suit for "Present" (i.e. the suit of the card they played in the Present), and the winner of Present therefore similarly sets the scoring suit for the "Future".

It gets real interesting once people can't follow suit. The game really sings once you include bidding for tricks. Haven't played anything quite like it.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Bodanarko posted:

The game is on Tabletop Sim (not 100% but most of it is there) and in my playthroughs captured much of the feel of the game while not being too onerous as far as jank. They pared down the game to essentials but it’s still not as easy to get a run in as digital. I wouldn’t say it’s that bad time wise but a full spire run with all players would probably take 4-5 hours.

Oh okay cool. 4-5 hours is actually okay in my mind (idk your TTS skill level, but I find stuff to be slower via TTS even with scripting). Probably still gonna be on the longer side for my crew, but I think one of the guys backed it so I'll probably be trying it.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I've played a couple of runs of StS on Tabletop Sim, and it's a great translation but as said it does take a long time - we ended up doing the full three acts over two sessions and it was probably 5-6 hours in total. The co-op elements are few but they do make a difference, and you can build your decks to take advantage of the fact that one player can block for the whole team and have the others be a bit more glass cannony, but overall you'll have to decide whether it's enough better than the digital version given the length. Also bear in mind that stuff like setting up fights is scripted on TTS so there's no digging around in decks for cards, so the tabletop version will be even longer.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I can't imagine playing StS on tabletop, let alone on TTS. If I'm already on Steam, I'm just going to play the original! And yes I get that there are co-op elements but a 6 hour game of StS just sounds like a nightmare to me.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the co-op is the only reason to play it over the original. it’s fun but I’m not champing at the bit to replay it because it takes a very long time to finish 3 + 1 acts and would be annoying to play over multiple sessions unless you have a table you could leave it on

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Decon posted:

So, just to be clear, are you saying you'd say a full run of table Spire is (potentially) gonna come out as 1 hour * 3 acts * 4 players?

A bit less - an act is probably more like 40+20p as you all share encounters rather than take your own path like in Spire With Friends. But it won't be short.

And why imagine it as a physical game when you can see it?

That top image is actually pretty useful for understanding how the encounters work. The Looter has a fixed attack pattern: he attacks for 2, then attacks for 3 and shields for 1, then leaves combat and you lose $2. Below that, the Red Louse does one of three things randomly until killed and the mark at the bottom indicates that when you draw it from the Encounter deck you also add a Green Louse to the fight. Each of the two characters shown has drawn their own encounter and fights them at the same time, with players able to help each other out a bit.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 15, 2023

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jedit posted:

A bit less - an act is probably more like 40+20p as you all share encounters rather than take your own path like in Spire With Friends. But it won't be short.

And why imagine it as a physical game when you can see it?

That top image is actually pretty useful for understanding how the encounters work. The Looter has a fixed attack pattern: he attacks for 2, then attacks for 3 and shields for 1, then leaves combat and you lose $2. Below that, the Red Louse does one of three things randomly until killed and the mark at the bottom indicates that when you draw it from the Encounter deck you also add a Green Louse to the fight. Each of the two characters shown has drawn their own encounter and fights them at the same time, with players able to help each other out a bit.

hm.. looks like a prime opportunity for a tablet version.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

PRADA SLUT posted:

hm.. looks like a prime opportunity for a tablet version.

I've just been playing the tablet version for 5 hours on a flight. Can confirm its great. Surprising to me it's been made into a board game, but I imagine it will be very popular, it's a REALLY well balanced "just one more" deckbuilder.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'd gonna start using a term to go with MWEs to describe all the passive, forgettable, mid euros that keep on getting pushed out: Mid Rate Euros

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

*designer throws a dart at a map of europe* say hello to my brand new MWE, "Chemnitz"

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Chill la Chill posted:

I'd gonna start using a term to go with MWEs to describe all the passive, forgettable, mid euros that keep on getting pushed out: Mid Rate Euros

Steve1989MREInfo reviewing board games is now stuck in my head. "Let's get this out onto the table. Nice."

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PlaneGuy posted:

Steve1989MREInfo reviewing board games is now stuck in my head. "Let's get this out onto the table. Nice."

holy poo poo

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

PlaneGuy posted:

"It's so dry!."

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

SelenicMartian posted:

"It's so dry!."

Getting sick and disappearing for months after playing a 1940s copy of Monopoly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hey kids it's me, your good friend Uncle Hasbro!

So we asked an AI Generator what the worst possible combination of words could be, and anyway here's Monopoly Scrabble