Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

someone mentioned earlier that this will remove the potential for journalists to get tips, which... y'know, whatever, but another group this will gently caress up is people who do commissions, or people who might be using twitter for networking. its just another stupid choice meant to herd people into paying for twitter blue by relegating a feature that used to be free behind a paywall, which isnt gonna get people to pay its just gonna make them less engaged with your site. its monumentally stupid, not just from a usability standpoint, but from a business perspective. And nobody wants this!

and that screencap alludes to the reason why the whole justification for the pay requirement makes no sense, you can already close your dms to people you dont follow! in fact I think it might be the default setting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
But it will make bots cost ten thousand times more. And you can put that on a t shirt.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it's literally just to get people to pay. anything elon says about bots is unfailingly always pretext

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The current AI scare mongering is all marketing bullshit being done by the people making the AI in order to drive the idea they’ve created some amazing science fiction style break through into computers with brains! It’s all bull poo poo, AI and the Neuralink garbage, because we have literally zero understanding of how knowledge and intelligence actually functions and forms in a brain. Like we’re just now, in 2023, figuring out the basics of how concussions fucks up a brain and we’re supposed to believe some techbro has completely unraveled the mystery because they made a neat chat program

The danger in AI is gonna be CEOs and corporations buying into this “My amazing invention is so amazing and awesome it scares me because it’s so advanced!” hype they’ll try to plug it into stuff like using it for the suicide hotline like we’ve seen and through it’s sheer shitiness it’ll kill people, not because it’ll make humans obsolete

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rynn posted:

Bad probe

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dr. VooDoo posted:

AI stuff

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Is this probe because the post is hypothetically off topic? Kinda scratching my head here.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

fuckin got his rear end

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i was probed and wanted to take someone with me

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
how does that make you feel

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Has ChatGPT tortured any monkeys to death yet? Neuralink ftw

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

how does that make you feel

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

please dont post about the time I let chatgpt run the makeup factory

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
people actually use twitter DMs? that's psycho poo poo, i've always just contacted people through their email or other accounts rather than twitter's garbage DM system

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

twitter was good times for whoremongers.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i was probed and wanted to take someone with me

aRudeTeen
Jul 13, 2003

Shipon posted:

people actually use twitter DMs? that's psycho poo poo, i've always just contacted people through their email or other accounts rather than twitter's garbage DM system

DM someone? I don't think so. Let me just fire off a quick email. This makes sense to me, a 55 year old man.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

A lot of artists who work through commissions leave their DMs open for people to contact them easier and without having to have a separate e-mail to deal with. This effectively just straight up strangled a lot of money avenues for them

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
dm me and I will call the loving cops you assholes

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

AI is real and it is good and the computer has a consciousness when photoshop badly fills out a background

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dr. VooDoo posted:

A lot of artists who work through commissions leave their DMs open for people to contact them easier and without having to have a separate e-mail to deal with. This effectively just straight up strangled a lot of money avenues for them

Yeah, while you CAN still have an email/submission form/ko-fi, putting extra friction in front of people wanting to give you business will cost you money. Previously I'd have much rather DMed an artist I kind of knew to ask if they had slots open versus emailing them.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Shipon posted:

TBH I usually get on long range HAM radio and broadcast for years to get peoples attention. The news eventually gets to who I want, I’m sort of like a solvable annoying number station.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Quotey posted:

TBH I usually get on long range HAM radio and broadcast for years to get peoples attention. The news eventually gets to who I want, I’m sort of like a solvable annoying number station.

you joke, but i'm a slow scan tv dude and my evangelion memes have been picked up by various shitposters. It's not any worse than any other attempt at social networking out of fuckin' nothing

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

new money making idea for twitter. intercept DMs to artists, outsource the requests they get to midjourney, pocket the difference.

hire me elon

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

lmfao INCREDIBLE

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i dont really follow musk mock thread but lol did he really get rid of PMs??

that's incredible. after Reddit burns itself up chasing IPO dragon, Ttwitter enshittifies into a molten sewer, and Discord inevitably destroys itself with all the Meta middle managers, the internet will finally be at peace and we shall all return to ezboards and IRC like God intended

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Xaris posted:

i dont really follow musk mock thread but lol did he really get rid of PMs??

that's incredible. after Reddit burns itself up chasing IPO dragon, Ttwitter enshittifies into a molten sewer, and Discord inevitably destroys itself with all the Meta middle managers, the internet will finally be at peace and we shall all return to ezboards and IRC like God intended

only paid subscribers get access to dm's now lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

only paid subscribers get access to dm's now lol
genuinely in awe that that is real. gotta respect the hustle. i guess he's just following the Lowtax model for tenbux for PMs

tfw aol instant messanger was ahead 30 years in technology

I posted this in the econ thread a few times but Cory Doctorow's piece on Enshittification of the internet is really good: https://doctorow.medium.com/tiktoks-enshittification-bb3f5df91979 been meaning to read his new book too

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Xaris posted:

genuinely in awe that that is real. gotta respect the hustle. i guess he's just following the Lowtax model for tenbux for PMs

tfw aol instant messanger was ahead 30 years in technology

I posted this in the econ thread a few times but Cory Doctorow's piece on Enshittification of the internet is really good: https://doctorow.medium.com/tiktoks-enshittification-bb3f5df91979 been meaning to read his new book too

yea let’s hope he follows the Lowtax model

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

you joke, but i'm a slow scan tv dude and my evangelion memes have been picked up by various shitposters. It's not any worse than any other attempt at social networking out of fuckin' nothing

Huh, just looked that up. Pretty cool! Any pics?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1668868113725550592?t=t5qAAf71zFy7ICZaZ5_N7w&s=19

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

oh god please give it to dore

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Shipon posted:

This mfer said email

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

no they won’t

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m not mad online

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m not mad online

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

no they won’t

Now now there are plenty of white supremacists pretending they're speaking for the left. Elon will make sure they get equal coverage!

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

You will get an equal amount of blue check chuds at the top of all your posts.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1668822968573517824?t=qc03u8HMaJgW59orRiSbcw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Chuds are still whining about being shadow banned. These idiots will never be satisfied.
https://twitter.com/TRHLofficial/status/1668929339184799745?s=19