Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

animist posted:

ok google. Fix this bridge

if i'm being generous to mayo pete (lol), it's more about setting up preferred traffic routes with gmaps/waze to re-route traffic through streets they're optimizing for bigger throughput which may include changing light timers, getting rid of street parking, etc. than sprawling through surface streets at random

but that's still very dumb

the real solution would be to ban all non-commercial car traffic / single-occupancy-vehicles at this time so like important stuff or carpoolers could go through while encouraging single commuters to do train or bus.

also just ban cars period, but y'know. baby steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Willa Rogers posted:

here's the nyp story about doc bots:

health-insurance execs right now: :swoon:

RIP to the AMA's guild lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Don't ban cars going into philly because then my business trip at the end of the month will literally cost me an extra $300.

Still extremely bitter about the cost of trains in this garbage country.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Paradoxish posted:

Don't ban cars going into philly because then my business trip at the end of the month will literally cost me an extra $300.

Still extremely bitter about the cost of trains in this garbage country.

I used to take amtrak across the state fairly frequently but now one way on the amtrak is more than what I’d pay in gas both ways

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

going around 95 still adds a bunch of time whether you're doing it from the pa or nj side

their finally completing it a few years back was a major boon as it cut drive times down by 20-30 minutes between philly and new york

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Assessing symptoms probably won't be its strong suit because patients are dumb and also lie. But a human doctor can't evaluate every drug interaction with every other drug interaction and consult all of medical literature and every recorded medical case in seconds so it's got that going for it.

Medicine is one place I can see AI making headway since it only has to be better than human doctors which, at least in the US, is not a surprisingly high bar to clear.

almost every interaction i've had with a doctor has followed a similar trajectory

"Doctor, I'm hosed up in fifty ways"
"You are allowed to mention 2 problems each visit"
"....uhhh my spine is hosed I think. I can't feel my hands. It might be severe arthritis it runs in my family"
*smirk* "Arthritis isn't hereditary"
"The condition isn't, the genes that cause it are. It's advanced osteo-arthritis so I think it's possible"
"Well your hands have nothing to do with pain in your spine. Here is a prescription for tylenol"
"Can I get an x-ray"
"For what? Headaches? No."

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmfao her complaints are that 2 or 3 Germans told her her German sucked

correcting someone’s broke-rear end German speaking is racist

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

the Germans I’ve met own because they’re dry and don’t give a gently caress and that bothers the worst Americans

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Noblesse Obliged posted:

they are Metastasizing

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

I know a few people who can bamboozle human doctors who are supposedly versed in spotting malingering. An undiscerning AI with zero emotional intelligence will just be a vending machine for pharmaceuticals.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

anonumos posted:

I know a few people who can bamboozle human doctors who are supposedly versed in spotting malingering. An undiscerning AI with zero emotional intelligence will just be a vending machine for pharmaceuticals.

Feature not bug. DocGPT(tm) by Pfizer

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

lol

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Nothus posted:

The medical doctor has finally been rendered obsolete :D

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

almost every interaction i've had with a doctor has followed a similar trajectory

"....uhhh my spine is hosed I think. I can't feel my hands. It might be severe arthritis it runs in my family"
"The condition isn't, the genes that cause it are. It's advanced osteo-arthritis so I think it's possible"
"Well your hands have nothing to do with pain in your spine. Here is a prescription for tylenol"
"Can I get an x-ray"

hey I have been dealing with the same poo poo and got a pill called diclofinac which is for arthritis and it’s really helped you should see about asking your doctor if voltaren is right for you

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

it should be illegal the world over for a white man to ever sing fast car

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

hey I have been dealing with the same poo poo and got a pill called diclofinac which is for arthritis and it’s really helped you should see about asking your doctor if voltaren is right for you

i've been going through a mortal kombat tournament of doctors and what i've realized is they get pissed off if you suggest anything at all so i'll just have to hope that by the time i hit seven figures in co-pays and mysterious out of network charges for $3000 blood tests that one of them accidentally suggests that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i've been going through a mortal kombat tournament of doctors and what i've realized is they get pissed off if you suggest anything at all
change to a women doc, preferably one under 55.

the worst docs for me have all been old dudes: the older the dude the worse. i wish i could also say the whiter the dude the worse they are too, but i've had bad indian and asian docs so it's just all old dudes.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

i am harry posted:

Topical version is OTC now, they dropped the prescription requirement recently,

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

"Can I get an x-ray"

Tell them you need an MRI to rule out syringomyelia.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MickeyFinn posted:

I bet there are literally no other alternatives. Traffic builds up on routes because there are no better routes or methods from getting from point A to point B. Even when the whole thing gets worse, you have no choice but to pile into the poo poo.

there are literally other alternatives

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Nothus posted:

The AMA has become increasingly unpopular as younger docs have entered the field; the last no. I recall is only around 25 percent of docs belong, and that was several years ago.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!

biceps crimes posted:

the Germans I’ve met own because they’re dry and don’t give a gently caress and that bothers the worst Americans

did they do the mandatory glasses of schnapps at every conceivable social gathering thing

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I loving hate country music

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Nothus posted:

But there are alternatives, especially for through traffic

This came up a few times, but I’m just going to quote yours.

Google maps takes travel time into account when planning routes, so when the 95 is turbo hosed and it still says “take the 95,” that is because there are no real alternatives. The literal existence of other routes is irrelevant if they are substantially longer in travel time.

I’ll repeat myself: freeways are traffic jammed normally because the alternatives are perceived to be worse. It is entirely possible, likely even because of poo poo transportation development in the US, that the 95 is still the fastest route, even when half has fallen off.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

MickeyFinn posted:

I’ll repeat myself: freeways are traffic jammed normally because the alternatives are perceived to be worse. It is entirely possible, likely even because of poo poo transportation development in the US, that the 95 is still the fastest route, even when half has fallen off.

good metaphor for politics

maybe, i didn't think about it very hard

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The tom tom apps at least in wa use state/city traffic data instead of just crowdsourced and it is pretty good at navigating around traffic jams, it can be weird to get used to the app and its janky behaviors though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the 95?

hail, outlander.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lmao 2k/month to feed my chickens

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
sure, i'd do that for $2000/mo. nice of them to throw the accommodation in for free.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

MickeyFinn posted:

maybe true for philly but definitely not true in the bay area and la. waze et al will always route you through surface streets almost 100% of the time during commute hours. it's much faster to blow through school zones instead of taking the dedicated freeway

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Google must be able to shut down the bridge collapse in its maps system. They can adjust to real time traffic, construction, new roads. That doesn't require a meeting with the loving secretary of transportation

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Assessing symptoms probably won't be its strong suit because patients are dumb and also lie. But a human doctor can't evaluate every drug interaction with every other drug interaction and consult all of medical literature and every recorded medical case in seconds so it's got that going for it.

Medicine is one place I can see AI making headway since it only has to be better than human doctors which, at least in the US, is not a surprisingly high bar to clear.

first, the historians came for the doctor positions

and now, the AI has come for the doctors too

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

lmao 2k/month to feed my chickens

this is called house sitting and you pay the sitter you MOTHERFUCKKKKEEERRRRRSSSS

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

https://www.leafly.com/strains/i-95

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

net work error posted:

I loving hate country music

lol i posted this in the wrong thread but it still feels a little relevant

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

euphronius posted:

there are literally other alternatives

WFH worked too well therefore better things aren't possible

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Egg Moron posted:

R-tificial Intelligence

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MickeyFinn posted:

This came up a few times, but I’m just going to quote yours.

Google maps takes travel time into account when planning routes, so when the 95 is turbo hosed and it still says “take the 95,” that is because there are no real alternatives. The literal existence of other routes is irrelevant if they are substantially longer in travel time.

There are literally alternatives. I have to travel right near that area in Philly later this month and I can go completely around the affected section of 95 without even having to dip off onto surface streets, with a travel time that's like a single digit difference in minutes.

95 is the main north-south corridor on the east coast but it's really rare to be anywhere that you can't hop on a different highway for a relatively similar travel time. I routinely have Google try to slam me into traffic on 95 through NY when the Hutch is 100% clear and would get me where I'm going with almost no difference in travel time.

edit- shutting down any part of 95 will create tons of traffic, but it's entirely possible that google is making things much worse by not routing through traffic completely around that area

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 05:53 on Jun 14, 2023

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kibbles n Shits posted:

There are already multiple systems that identify drug drug interactions whenever you order something and it has access to every single one known and they're completely worthless.

Patients have no idea what they've been on, what they've taken in the past, what they're on now, etc. The obvious drug drug interactions are obvious, and the subtle ones are not helped by a popup warning me that 25 mg of seroquel at night might cause serotonin syndrome in this population NO IT loving WONT SHUT THE gently caress UP

There's a reason hospitals have real live pharmacists checking these interactions and not Cerner's little thing

if AI ever does make serious headway into the medical field it will be for poor people without insurance. It will join the likes of chiropractic medicine and aromatherapy; ineffective alternatives for people that are getting hosed over by the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60V3JFUPvIE&t=161s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
gonna quote this in a year when they break ground on the new overpass with a performative ribbon cutting ceremony