Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Give me the reins, I have some ideas to make the game better:
2x mobs everywhere
helltide always active in at least one zone
you can bust through the gimmick doors in dungeons if you yell at your screen loud enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
that all sounds good but then people would progress too quickly and they won't be around long enough to impulse buy nearly as many cosmetics

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Hey! It’s me, ya girl astryl here to screech about cows again.

If you see any weird black and white cows let me know. I’m pretty sure I’ve narrowed the whole thing down try figuring out how to trigger the hidden quest track, which subsequently gives you the items required to open the cellar door and make the portal. Like opening the shack for infernal machines in D3.

The quest trigger should be somewhere relatively easily to get to and likely need to be repeatable. I don’t think the portal would be infinite but I’m not confirmed on this.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

boredsatellite posted:

Can't believe blizzard is nerfing monster density to own poe players and the rest of the playerbase.

based

Yeah, the rest of the player base loves the thought of running 1/119 dungeons over and over again….

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Maybe they would go in other dungeons more if they had a reason. Perhaps... maybe buff density in other dungeons?

Perish the thought really.

Did you not do Baal runs back in the days? Were you also going "ehhh running one dungeon is such a gamer brain" back then?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Do bosses count as Elites as far as abilities/item affixes are concerned?

Like for example a passive ability that gives 3% dmg reduction from Elites?

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

boredsatellite posted:

Maybe they would go in other dungeons more if they had a reason. Perhaps... maybe buff density in other dungeons?

Perish the thought really.

Did you not do Baal runs back in the days? Were you also going "ehhh running one dungeon is such a gamer brain" back then?

Oh so we should be doing what was acceptable 23 years ago? Genius level stuff on display here.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

Yeah, the rest of the player base loves the thought of running 1/119 dungeons over and over again….

They did a blanket nerf to elite spawns in all dungeons today, the "good" dungeons are still good because everything got worse. D2R addressed the issue of not enough variety in end-game zones by first increasing the number of max level areas, and then adding Terror Zones which change every hour. Blizzard could have also kept the elite spawn rate the same in Nightmare Dungeons to give more incentive to run them instead of regular dungeons, but they got hit too. Feels bad to run a dungeon full of level 115 enemies and get one pack of elite monsters that isn't tied to the objective.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Revitalized posted:

Do bosses count as Elites as far as abilities/item affixes are concerned?

Like for example a passive ability that gives 3% dmg reduction from Elites?

Yes, elites are basically anything nastier than regular monsters iirc. It specifically includes bosses though for sure.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Poetards imo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

soscannonballs posted:

They did a blanket nerf to elite spawns in all dungeons today, the "good" dungeons are still good because everything got worse. D2R addressed the issue of not enough variety in end-game zones by first increasing the number of max level areas, and then adding Terror Zones which change every hour. Blizzard could have also kept the elite spawn rate the same in Nightmare Dungeons to give more incentive to run them instead of regular dungeons, but they got hit too. Feels bad to run a dungeon full of level 115 enemies and get one pack of elite monsters that isn't tied to the objective.

Bro I’m running nm 60 right now and couldn’t care less.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

This frankly

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Astryl posted:

Hey! It’s me, ya girl astryl here to screech about cows again.

If you see any weird black and white cows let me know. I’m pretty sure I’ve narrowed the whole thing down try figuring out how to trigger the hidden quest track, which subsequently gives you the items required to open the cellar door and make the portal. Like opening the shack for infernal machines in D3.

The quest trigger should be somewhere relatively easily to get to and likely need to be repeatable. I don’t think the portal would be infinite but I’m not confirmed on this.

hey did you see this? suggesting that the portal is at the 'cow horn' on the map instead of caldeum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcib9SAG6U

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I beat the campaign and want to do a little plot talk. Overall it was far better than D3’s plot but I do have some confusion. Inarius is basically just confirmed for being a dumbass and is maybe worse than Lilith from what I’m getting. Lilith had demon morality but cared about the future of Humanity in her hosed up way, but Inarius didn’t care if everyone died as long as he could get back to heaven. So why did we never just try to talk to Lilith, she seemed like she may have listened to reason. Less of a waste of time than talking to Inarius, anyway.

Also it almost felt like Diablo 3 never happened. I didn’t catch any references to the plot of 3 during the campaign. Maybe some side-quests had connections?

Inarius works better with the idea that Mephisto basically got into his head and made him the hateful angel chud he became. Also adds a nice poignancy to the act 6 cutscene where you can tell Lilith was hoping if she could talk to him directly she could bring him around. Instead, he's just another being her dad got to and turned them into a hate husk. The sigh and headshake really sell this interpretation imo.

Diablo 3 still happened and it's why everything is extra hosed up in Sanctuary (like more so than usual) after Malthael went Thanos on humanity. I agree it's not really ever explicitly called out and doesn't really show up other than just noticing how hosed up locations that were in D3 are in D4 and the odd Lorath callback.

I want to know what "The Nephalam" and Tyrael are up to since they are both conspicuously absent thus far.

Edit: Whole lot of anger in this thread. Maybe Mephisto is here too :v:

orphean fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 14, 2023

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

That Little Demon posted:

Oh so we should be doing what was acceptable 23 years ago? Genius level stuff on display here.

More like saying this isn't a poe thing but more of how people played the game and will continue to play the game. A lot of people like playing games optimally cause its fun or efficient depending on their mindset.

Just buff other dungeons instead of nerfing the fun dungeons and fun elite spawns and people will naturally disperse to variety of dungeons.

People like blowing up mobs in diablo.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Currently the best 2 xp farms are:

A) Charnel House + Champions Demise (alternate the Dungeons- clearing one resets the other and they are a short run apart)

B) Uldur's Cave (exit menu reset)

Uldur's gives about 10 million xp/hr - where the pre-nerf eridu gave around 22, now it gives about 7.5.

NM Dungeons still do not give worthwhile xp benefits.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

S.J. posted:

Yes, elites are basically anything nastier than regular monsters iirc. It specifically includes bosses though for sure.

Bloodmarked players in PVP zones are also considered elites. Saw it in a loading screen tip.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

orphean posted:

I want to know what "The Nephalam" and Tyrael are up to since they are both conspicuously absent thus far.

I always assumed from the in-game text that we (the protagonist) were one of several/many nephalem who arise together in d3. I have no idea what the official story was. Canonically what happened to the d2 protagonist(s)? Was there just one?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Astryl posted:

“Intricate Metallic Shard”

My friend in sanctuary that is a nephalem obelisk and there is one in the old camp that matches the location of the obelisk in D3.

I will find the cows.

In the Scosglen world boss area, there's a rock or obelisk that can be interacted with, but has no apparent effect other than briefly showing a symbol. It could be related to the cow level puzzle.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 14, 2023

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

D3 never really increased density with difficulty. Even on the last most recent season, if you wanted to push to the level 150 cap on greater rifts, it was very common to need to repeatedly open and close rifts simply looking for one with enough mob density to complete in time. (This is also the point that I quit in D3 seasons, because it's incredibly loving obnoxious to need to do that).

Not by difficulty, over the games lifespan.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Kaysette posted:

Decided to look up the cosmetic PVP armor and it looks like poo poo? It’s also very expensive. Every single Necro legendary looks better than it.

The rogue one with the belt of ears was pretty good. The gloves also have a stitched look that I guess is supposed to be human skin. The pants and boots are just plan and a total waste. All the other class pieces suck though. No idea why they didn't give every class the ear belt so people can recognize it as pvp loot.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

boredsatellite posted:

More like saying this isn't a poe thing but more of how people played the game and will continue to play the game. A lot of people like playing games optimally cause its fun or efficient depending on their mindset.

Just buff other dungeons instead of nerfing the fun dungeons and fun elite spawns and people will naturally disperse to variety of dungeons.

People like blowing up mobs in diablo.

Optimally running the same dungeon with 3 people sitting at the entrance for xp :) sounds awesome dude!

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Getting to see and hang out with Lyndon again was nice.

Also, is this interaction a Brick Top (from Snatch) reference or is the accent just really that close?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’m so glad arpg players aren’t the market for these kinds of games any more. I never could get into them, but this one slaps.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Gadzuko posted:

I always assumed from the in-game text that we (the protagonist) were one of several/many nephalem who arise together in d3. I have no idea what the official story was. Canonically what happened to the d2 protagonist(s)? Was there just one?

I don't know actually! The Dark Wanderer in D2 was definitely your character from D1. Beyond that I'm not sure there is any canonical notion of our previous characters. Any lore hyper nerds have an idea?

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

orphean posted:

I don't know actually! The Dark Wanderer in D2 was definitely your character from D1. Beyond that I'm not sure there is any canonical notion of our previous characters. Any lore hyper nerds have an idea?

I have a vague memory that the male PC barbarian in D3 was supposed to be the same one from D2.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

orphean posted:

the necro from 2 is alive and you meet him in D3

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

orphean posted:

I watched this video on the subject a while ago, then rewatched it when I got curious. I don't know how authentic it is, but it's neat story telling anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5y75udepac

Edit: Regarding the D1 characters, I understand the wanderer was canonically the warrior. The rogue was corrupted by Andariel and became Blood Raven, the act 1 lady you kill for Akara. The sorcerer became the Summoner, the guy you kill in Act 2 to learn where Tal Rasha's tomb is.

Fangthane fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 14, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I’m so glad arpg players aren’t the market for these kinds of games any more. I never could get into them, but this one slaps.

i have bad news about what genre of game you're playing

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Fangthane posted:

I watched this video on the subject a while ago, then rewatched it when I got curious. I don't know how authentic it is, but it's neat story telling anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5y75udepac

Edit: Regarding the D1 characters, I understand the wanderer was canonically the warrior. The rogue was corrupted by Andariel and became Blood Raven, the act 1 lady you kill for Akara. The sorcerer became the Summoner, the guy you kill in Act 2 to learn where Tal Rasha's tomb is.

Warrior is definitely the Dark Wanderer from D2, but his back story was changed to be King Leoric's son (not that it really mattered after killing your little brother + shoving a soulstone in your forehead)
There's some confusion/leeway about the Sorcerer in D2 act 2 - was it Horazon possessing the body of the Sorcerer after he found his tomb, or did the Sorcerer finally go bat poo poo insane and pretend to be a demon-summoning ghost

Schwawa posted:

I have a vague memory that the male PC barbarian in D3 was supposed to be the same one from D2.

This was going to happen in D3, but they rolled it back after realising it kinda hosed up a bunch of timelines. I think the D3 Baba was in Arreat, but not the actual Baba who whirlwind'd Baal in D2.
Some heroes from D2 show up in D3/RoS, in a way - Cassia. Isendra. Xul (spoilers if you haven't played all of D3/RoS yet, go play it at least once)

Gadzuko posted:

D3+RoS happened 50 years ago, so we're not one of THE NEPHALEM from D3 (god that word just sounds so stupid). Are we an actual Nephalem? Are we quarter Nephalem cause our Mum regained Nephalem powers but Dad was just a farmer before we got shipped off to Sorc School? Are we super special because our village was wiped out by a falling shard of the Worldstone but we survived and it infused us with (oh god make it stop)

Johanna, the Crusader from RoS, shows up...sorta...in D4. Check out https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Johanna and some "best guesses for other D3 classes" at the bottom

quote:

Someone / something about Tyrael??

We got 1 sentence about him. 1000% going to be in a xpac when we fight Imperius, or shows up in a seasonal event so we can buy pretty Angel themed gear

KajiTheMelonMan fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 14, 2023

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Do Skellies and the Golem get your resistances?
Trying to find ways to deal with Fire Enchanted better.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
I noticed lately after delving a bit in diablo lore and the warcraft LP that Blizzard, if nothing else, has a real knack for find the most obscure one line references of nobodies in past stories and spinning them into future major plot points or story lines. This of course brings with it a lot of reconning and confusion.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Shoenin posted:

Do Skellies and the Golem get your resistances?
Trying to find ways to deal with Fire Enchanted better.

You don't even get your resistances.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Resistances are broken or intentionally awful.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
50% cold resistance=~2% less cold damage taken in the current state of the game

no clue how something so basic ended up so completely broken. apparently it's intentional because people were reporting that to them back in the betas

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

boredsatellite posted:

I think the main differences between Baalruns and the current state of NDs are:
  • Social: You could easily group up to max players to run those without any need of clans/lfg. Even if you have friends/goons to do this, they have to be around and willing to do the same stuff as you when you are up to it.
  • XP Reward: The xp rewards was ridiculous when leveling. You could run those for 2h and have a character go from "barely beaten the Hell Ancients" to "basically max level for any intent and purpose". Xp rewards are linear. Although you could technically get powerleveled, the advantage for the runner is minimal compared to D2, so it's less likely that you'll find a rando online willing to run this for you.
  • Time: It took maybe 5 minutes to run a full run from game creation to finish. In the two minutes or so between game creation and waves, you could keep the pace up by running Pindle, Shenk, Uberchests or any other fire and forget activity. NDs are very up and down intensity. Most of the time you have to do some gimmick that doesn't reward you directly with xp/loot instead of killing monsters.
  • Regular Loot: Any single monster in the Throne could drop something nice, given their level. You could get a High Rune off a trash mob, a nice base, socketed or eth item. You could get a nice rare or a unique/legendary from trash maybe? But anything below rare is useless, so killing trash is mostly a waste of time.
  • Boss Loot: it's not a mystery for anyone that killing any elite (and Baal, in the rare cases where you would not just go to next game after the waves) had a much higher "loot pinata" factor in D2 compared to here. You kill the boss and maybe you get a legendary/unique. The main reward is grinding guaranteed but smaller power increases in the form of Sigil/Glyph progression

I think Helltides mystery chests scratch that D2 loot pinata itch much more than NDs, at least until you realize that you have already seen all the possible aspects for your class outside of uniques after 10 runs or so :v:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 14, 2023

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Good news if you're a casual gamer, though! By the time blizz finishes saving the terminal ARPG-brains from themselves, there will be no more demons left so you can casually sightsee through Hell like intended. :)

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah very rare if Baal runs ended up killing Baal unless it was like everyone's last run or something.

But yeah lack of socials hurt honestly, especially considering how strong party play is right now.

Also its hilarious seeing people try to find the next farming spot and I think in Korea people are doing Call of the Ancients run right now where they get a person that didn't do the sidequest to open up the area, party up and farm the area

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Donnerberg posted:

In the Scosglen world boss area, there's a rock or obelisk that can be interacted with, but has no apparent effect other than briefly showing a symbol. It could be related to the cow level puzzle.

On closer inspection, the above is an unrelated quest. They just forgot to turn the interaction off once it's finished.

There might be something cow related in Shrouded Moors or its stronghold Moordaine Lodge though. Blizzard loves puns.

Also, there's another set of oxen heads at Bluffs of Olzei in the passage between Khargai Crags and Jakha Basin. No plaque on them.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Herstory Begins Now posted:

50% cold resistance=~2% less cold damage taken in the current state of the game

no clue how something so basic ended up so completely broken. apparently it's intentional because people were reporting that to them back in the betas

Half the board specific nodes on the cult leader board for necros don’t do anything. Seems about in line with resists being busted!

DarkDobe posted:

Currently the best 2 xp farms are:

A) Charnel House + Champions Demise (alternate the Dungeons- clearing one resets the other and they are a short run apart)

B) Uldur's Cave (exit menu reset)

Uldur's gives about 10 million xp/hr - where the pre-nerf eridu gave around 22, now it gives about 7.5.

NM Dungeons still do not give worthwhile xp benefits.

I have lost a couple of hardcore characters so haven’t done the 80+ grind yet, but do you need significantly more xp to level than what you get running nightmare dungeons for glyph levels? If not why would you even want to hyperfocus character xp at the expense of glyph xp now that we’re outside the window of being first?