Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also never forget that the transphobic push is very clearly a wedge to re-impose legally enforced gender conformity and roll back existing rights. It's no coincidence it ramped up after Roe vs Wade was struck down. The fascists are winning, and they know it.

Hell, sumptuary laws have already made a comeback. Florida legally compels people to wear the 'correct' culturally-mandated clothing for their gender-role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Sorry I caused a bit of a blowup but otoh

Jaxyon posted:

Looks like an admin weighed in

sure does. Ticket resolved as far as this thread and I are concerned atm.

e: Hopefully we'll have a feedback thread shortly but in the meantime anyone who wants to talk about it outside of SAD can pester a mod or admin of your choice. If i'm not your preference i am going to throw sebmojo and vyelkin under the bus think sebmojo and vyelkin are pretty decent people who are also loosely, grudgingly familiar with dnd,

But this isn't the thread for more of that unless something else happens (please don't).

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 14, 2023

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Sorry I caused a bit of a blowup but otoh

sure does. Ticket resolved as far as this thread and I are concerned atm.

e: Hopefully we'll have a feedback thread shortly but in the meantime anyone who wants to talk about it outside of SAD can pester a mod or admin of your choice. If i'm not your preference i am going to throw sebmojo and vyelkin under the bus think sebmojo and vyelkin are pretty decent people who are also loosely, grudgingly familiar with dnd,

But this isn't the thread for more of that unless something else happens (please don't).

Oh, there will actually be a permanent feedback thread? Because this will always recur in threads if not.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Oh, there will actually be a permanent feedback thread? Because this will always recur in threads if not.

your guess is almost as good as mine, but we're gonna have another once-a-year quarterly one inshallah

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

your guess is almost as good as mine, but we're gonna have another once-a-year quarterly one inshallah

None of the issues of the last feedback thread were addressed. The only difference since is you’re moderating even less and the forum is even more dominated by trolls and circular arguments.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 14, 2023

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

fizzy posted:

It's not a lie, though. Koos Group confirmed, as recently as 1 June 2023, that "It's D&D policy not to moderate positions, even ones that are disgusting and vile".

How do you square that with that guy getting permabanned for his position?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

aventari posted:

How do you square that with that guy getting permabanned for his position?

That the admin who permabanned that guy was right, and that Koos' policy is wrong.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like the rules are just kinda parody level portrayals of complaints about US politics as literally going calmhitler.jpg is entirely allowed and has been actively encouraged.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like the rules are just kinda parody level portrayals of complaints about US politics as literally going calmhitler.jpg is entirely allowed and has been actively encouraged.

Maybe I’m mis-remembering, but wasn’t the “positions aren’t moderated” rule started [with Koos being head mod] after a number of posters complained about being unfairly targeted with probations for saying bad things about liberal politicians? Or for being against some policies that were pushed by liberal politicians?

Or at least I thought that seemed to be primary reason for the rule change

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Didn't do the right thing? Mods can't even execute regular bans by themselves, much less permas, what the hell is this poo poo?

They can authorize probes up to 24 hours by themselves and queue bans and permas, Baronash merely gave it a sixer.

At least this time they didn’t try to hide how odious the post was with the I.2.3.d nonsense.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I hope I'm not sounding insensitive or anything, but I genuinely don't know and want to know more: what's the difference between gay and queer? I always thought they were synonyms, but from reading around the room they seem to have different meanings but I'm unsure what the difference is.

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I hope I'm not sounding insensitive or anything, but I genuinely don't know and want to know more: what's the difference between gay and queer? I always thought they were synonyms, but from reading around the room they seem to have different meanings but I'm unsure what the difference is.

In most cases "queer" would be a broader label. Gay has, for most people, come to mean men or women who exclusively seek same sex partners. Somebody describing as queer might also pursue relationships with non-binary people or folks that project a different gender identity.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FCKGW posted:

The best part about this photo is when you realize there’s a stack of boxes in the bathtub just barely peeking out above the top right of the shower curtain
The best part, by which the thing I find utterly baffling, is: Why are there multiple chandeliers, of the kind my grandmother on my fathers side would've loved when she was still around, in a bathroom?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

In its most common usage these days, queer is a broader term referring to folks with non-standard gender identity or sexual orientation. So, like, anyone in the LGBTQ acronym would generally be considered queer. However, its meaning is not as settled as gay, so some people under the umbrella might not self-identifies as queer or agree with the definition.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

In its most common usage these days, queer is a broader term referring to folks with non-standard gender identity or sexual orientation. So, like, anyone in the LGBTQ acronym would generally be considered queer. However, its meaning is not as settled as gay, so some people under the umbrella might not self-identifies as queer or agree with the definition.
There does seem to be a growing movement for us queers to adopt it as an an umbrella term, which I fully support.
It's also just a fun word.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Queer's also something of a reclaimed slur, much like the gay and lesbian communities reclaimed human being and dyke.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There does seem to be a growing movement for us queers to adopt it as an an umbrella term, which I fully support.
It's also just a fun word.

I think it sounds cool too, but in addition to the reclaimed slur part, which puts some people off, I've also known trans folks who prefer not to be referred to as queer.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Queer's also something of a reclaimed slur, much like the gay and lesbian communities reclaimed human being and dyke.
Yeah, that's definitely also part of why I like it.

Skippy McPants posted:

I think it sounds cool too, but in addition to the reclaimed slur part, which puts some people off, I've also known trans folks who prefer not to be referred to as queer.
I won't ever tell anyone what words they should use (not only because it's not my place, but also because I abhor being a perscriptivist when it comes to linguistics), I was just pointing out that the movement seems to be growing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I won't ever tell anyone what words they should use (not only because it's not my place, but also because I abhor being a perscriptivist when it comes to linguistics), I was just pointing out that the movement seems to be growing.

And I agree, it would also be nice if the ever-expanding acronym could be laid to rest.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is it more of a Gen Z thing to just say ‘queer’ in place of the other identifications?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also never forget that the transphobic push is very clearly a wedge to re-impose legally enforced gender conformity and roll back existing rights. It's no coincidence it ramped up after Roe vs Wade was struck down. The fascists are winning, and they know it.

Christian "traditional family/values" hate groups have been caught saying the goal is to break up the LGBTQ alliance. Their plan is to divide and conquer by focusing on the most vulnerable part, and they've since executed on that plan.

It is not very far fetched to say that the strategy will not be confined to anti-trans laws. I strongly suspect that they hope to repeat the process and eventually spark a fight between lesbian and gay interests with the goal of rolling back protections for same sex marriage.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 14, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is it more of a Gen Z thing to just say ‘queer’ in place of the other identifications?

I'm an old-as-gently caress millennial and hear plenty of people in my generation use queer. Keep in mind it's used as a generalized term. So people will still usually say gay, bi, trans, etc. when speaking specifically, but if they want something broader, then queer rolls off the tongue a lot better than "ell-bee-gee-tee-que-plus" in casual conversation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm an old-as-gently caress millennial and hear plenty of people in my generation use queer. Keep in mind it's used as a generalized term. So people will still usually say gay, bi, trans, etc. when speaking specifically, but if they want something broader, then queer rolls off the tongue a lot better than "ell-bee-gee-tee-que-plus" in casual conversation.
Yeah that’s fair

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

There's a lot of debate and infighting on whether Aces "count" as queer, though. Part of the wider non-acceptance of aces in general.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
There's a huge (like, massive) LGBTQ presence on Mastodon and I've been seeing "queer" thrown around as a shorthand there for years. I don't think it's really generational, but maybe just more or less common depending on how much you directly interact with bigger LGBTQ communities.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not Gen Z, but I don't think it started in that cohort - though they certainly helped its popularization.

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, it's usefulness lies entirely in how broadly it can be applied, without having to have a wiki available at all times to try and be as inclusive as possible.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EDIT: Whoops, double post. Apologies.

Darko posted:

There's a lot of debate and infighting on whether Aces "count" as queer, though. Part of the wider non-acceptance of aces in general.
I don't understand why - if one of the goals is to present a better alternative to the cisheteronormative hegemony, then it seems to me that the easiest way to do that is to unify all the people who fall outside that increasingly narrow definition.

I fear it's a bit of FYGM attitude from a certain age-group of gays and lesbians, similar to how bisexuals and pansexuals are often conveniently forgotten unless we go out of our way to do queer representation - which, in so far as I'm concerned, is as much tied to the obsession with monogamy that permeates a lot of Western culture as anything else.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 14, 2023

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

shoeberto posted:

There's a huge (like, massive) LGBTQ presence on Mastodon and I've been seeing "queer" thrown around as a shorthand there for years. I don't think it's really generational, but maybe just more or less common depending on how much you directly interact with bigger LGBTQ communities.

In my experience, the people I have met who have trouble with/still see queer as a slur are older, 60+ now. I don't think they have a big presence online compared to younger generations. I suspect that's why you see growing acceptance of reclaiming the slur.

When I was growing up, the slur of choice started with an f, and I would have a hard time with reclaiming it to the point where people outside the community can use it. Queer is reclaimed to the point that I heard an NPR newsreader say "queer" the other day.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 14, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

EDIT: Whoops, double post. Apologies.

I don't understand why - if one of the goals is to present a better alternative to the cisheteronormative hegemony, then it seems to me that the easiest way to do that is to unify all the people who fall outside that increasingly narrow definition.

I fear it's a bit of FYGM attitude from a certain age-group of gays and lesbians, similar to how bisexuals and pansexuals are often conveniently forgotten unless we go out of our way to do queer representation - which, in so far as I'm concerned, is as much tied to the obsession with monogamy that permeates a lot of Western culture as anything else.

There are a few things going on. The lack of being included in the queer grouping is often from LGBT people that have an issue with Asexual people not having to deal with their specific brand of oppression since their (gradient of lack of) sexuality is invisible and thus not attacked on sight (unlike gay pairings and being trans), while ignoring that in a lot of ways, Asexuals have to deal with the worst of (worldwide) society being so sex and pairing obsessed in general while having even larger problems having any kind of stable relationships. Especially Asexual women in countries where marriage is near necessary for survival.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Darko posted:

There are a few things going on. The lack of being included in the queer grouping is often from LGBT people that have an issue with Asexual people not having to deal with their specific brand of oppression since their (gradient of lack of) sexuality is invisible and thus not attacked on sight (unlike gay pairings and being trans), while ignoring that in a lot of ways, Asexuals have to deal with the worst of (worldwide) society being so sex and pairing obsessed in general while having even larger problems having any kind of stable relationships. Especially Asexual women in countries where marriage is near necessary for survival.
Yeah, that's a very good point - the basis for inclusion would benefit from being whether someone is part of a (even a small) group of people who're in some way oppressed by the cisheteronormative hegemony, not how performative or explicit the oppression is.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I wish I was more fluent in queer history, but:

Queer has been used as an idenitity itself or as umbrella term, off and on, since the 1980s if not earlier. I good slogan that I think popped up around that time was "Not gay as in happy, but queer as in gently caress you."

Queer was unpopular as an umbrella term because "queer" was one of the more common slurs... but when I was a teen ( Millenial ) *gay* was the most common slur, so the embrace of a slur like *queer* that no one called me wasn't that difficult. And probably why Gen Z embraced it as well - no one was calling them loving queers.

EDIT: Yeah, the assholes who say aces and aros aren't really "queer" keep hammering on the fact that asexuals and aromantics don't face discrimination like other queer groups do. It's never been *illegal* you be ace or aro it still absoutely sucks because the broader culture heavily promotes romantic love and sex as ultimate ideals, so if you don't want one of those or both you're treated as a broken freak.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 14, 2023

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
anecdote, but my brother and his husband hate being called queer and prefer gay, both are in the millennial age group

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

World Famous W posted:

anecdote, but my brother and his husband hate being called queer and prefer gay, both are in the millennial age group

this matches some anecdotal evidence of my own that seems to indicate that "millennial and older" cis gay men are the most resistant to the term queer as an identifier

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Queer sounds otherizing and dehumanizing (and historically, it was) so I couldn't imagine seriously referring to anybody as queer, and because of that I can't help but feel a little uncomfortable when people refer to themselves as queer since it sounds like they are dehumanizing and othering themselves.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i don't know if it's still in schoolyard or whatnot since im pushing forty, but i remember in my childhood a "game" called 'smear the *****' (it very much a slur in this case) which was just an excuse to kick the poo poo out of anyone suspected. my brother grew up in that same environment so it probably has something to do with it for him

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

Queer sounds otherizing and dehumanizing (and historically, it was) so I couldn't imagine seriously referring to anybody as queer, and because of that I can't help but feel a little uncomfortable when people refer to themselves as queer since it sounds like they are dehumanizing and othering themselves.

I get that - I have the same reflex reaction to someone going by the "it" pronoun.

But it's a thing that is happening, and is getting more common. It doesn't help that the current acroym is LGBTQAI+ ( or LGBTAI2S+ for our Canadian friends as they include "two spirit" ).

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I've occasionally seen Gender and Sexual Minority (GSM) advocated online in lieu of LGBTQIA+ as a broader umbrella term which covers the whole spectrum. Is there any negative connotation to it?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_minority

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

World Famous W posted:

It’s a very individual thing. My sister prefers to be called gay and dislikes the term lesbian for some reason. She won’t get mad if someone calls her lesbian but she’s never called herself that.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

None of the issues of the last feedback thread were addressed. The only difference since is you’re moderating even less and the forum is even more dominated by trolls and circular arguments.

Shut the gently caress up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m in my late 30s and never heard queer used as a slur. Elementary school hegemony was to call uncool or stodgy things “gay,” ie “this sweatshirt my mom got me is so gay.” I’m sure there was incredible homophobia among boys for failures to live up to accepted standards of masculinity, but I never remember “gay” being used as an insult against a person in a hateful way either, just behavior being called gay (usually politeness or washing your hands or something).