Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Patware posted:

it's just pictures of stuff that's already been extremely established without any dialogue in them, come on man

this isn't show don't tell, it's stalling

Hey, I'm just happy that we're actually being shown something for once rather than it just cutting to Kat saying "So my lab was full of flowers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Randalor posted:

Hey, I'm just happy that we're actually being shown something for once rather than it just cutting to Kat saying "So my lab was full of flowers."

To be fair, if the previous panel had been something incredibly climactic and compelling and it suddenly switched to "So my lab was full of flowers" I'd laugh my rear end off.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
No no no go back to Kat please go back to Kat no more speech bubbles ever again go back to Kat.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ok, who wants to bet that Jerrek will flip out and turn into Loup once he discovers Annie wasn't really ever into him? It just feels like a properly lovely ending to this whole plotline.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I'm betting on Annie being made to feel like the bad guy next page.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Annie in the last panel has been been me for the past several months reading this comic.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

everything since Jerrik was all "I must prove my sincerity" has felt about as sincere as that Pepsi commercial where Kendall Jenner handed militarized riot cops a Pepsi during a protest presumably about police brutality and murders.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"I destroyed a city and killed a bunch of people. However, I since fell in love. I am still God. Try Pepsi."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Your honor, Mr Gacy has found true love, and we ask that you consider....

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm trying to conceive a permutation for the upcoming exchange that isn't terrible, and am drawing a blank.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Surely Loup's face turn is JUST around the corner

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I can't tell if Loup is supposed to be a running joke, or a character that we're supposed to take seriously. It's part of the larger problem of the tone of this comic being all over the place from one page to the next.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

There Bias Two posted:

I can't tell if Loup is supposed to be a running joke, or a character that we're supposed to take seriously. It's part of the larger problem of the tone of this comic being all over the place from one page to the next.

See, the problem is that a running joke is supposed to just come up once in a while, not stay around forever.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Potato Salad posted:

"I destroyed a city and killed a bunch of people. However, I since fell in love. I am still God. Try Pepsi."

That's the thing. I pointed this out before but Tom has been very careful about avoiding having Loup actually provably kill anyone in order to avoid crossing that moral event horizon, therefore paving the way for him to be part of the main cast. Loup hosed up some buildings. He displaced forest denizens. He allowed monsters passage into the court. He attacked Shell (who was saved) and temporarily harmlessly buried Annie, some bureaucrats, and some wacky forest critters, whilst in the middle of insanity. He buried some robots.

You can argue that it's ridiculous to act like those buildings were all empty, that somehow no one was killed or mortally injured in all the poo poo like him loving up the forest. That it's ridiculous to pretend that you can't hold Loup responsible for things like Ashrays getting into the court and attacking children, or mortally wounding Shell. And I would agree with all of that.

But as far as the comic is concerned, Loup has totally never killed anyone, see, he really is a nice guy at heart :)

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 15, 2023

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
He hit his girlfriend and never apologised, unless I blanked a page.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Friendly reminder that Loup (and the Court) killed those robots in the only way that matters to them

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=894

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

coolusername posted:

He hit his girlfriend and never apologised, unless I blanked a page.
Oh no yeah Loup is a loving garbage person and I hate him, for that if nothing else.

But hitting his girlfriend, though deeply awful, is not "performed a murder", which was the point of contention - a specific moral event horizon the author has been very careful not to cross with Loup. Even as all of us collectively scratched our heads for months about why Loup was being portrayed as a huge threat yet didn't have any actual sense of urgency or danger because he didn't really... do anything, when it would've been super easy to just show Loup actually killing somebody.

But apparently the author thinks it's okay that he hit her, something something young capricious trickster god disoriented from near death experience is upset and still learning to control his powers and emotions. Just like he apparently thought the alleyway scene and the following conversations were okay. Because all of that has been portrayed largely uncritically and sympathetically.

Also lmao I just suddenly remembered this entire loving chapter up until now and I am deeply baffled. "yeah robot told us immediately, the tension and ominousness there was a complete red herring. Also we can cage you, ez. but let's uncage you and let you, the trickster god who has previously disappeared into the earth and become undetectable for long stretches of time, who can create dangerous havoc and distort reality, roam free because you seem really super duper sorry. hold on oops gotta go! but here annie here's an easily breakable big red button. I will hand it to you RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE TRICKSTER GOD"

it's like the comic switched to an outline of "things that need to happen in this order" with just zero thought to the characters having any meaningful sense of logic or inner self or feelings, beyond of course The Main Character Jerrek

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

imo domestic assault actually is a moral horizon

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The point being made was that it is not the moral horizon which the author was taking pains to avoid.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Maldraedior posted:

Friendly reminder that Loup (and the Court) killed those robots in the only way that matters to them

It's okay, Kat will wake them up whether they want to be alive or not so she can get some free labor out of them.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Maldraedior posted:

God that whole arc was so powerful and then kat just brings them all back to life off screen and it's no big deal lol

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tiny Myers posted:

Also lmao I just suddenly remembered this entire loving chapter up until now and I am deeply baffled. "yeah robot told us immediately, the tension and ominousness there was a complete red herring. Also we can cage you, ez. but let's uncage you and let you, the trickster god who has previously disappeared into the earth and become undetectable for long stretches of time, who can create dangerous havoc and distort reality, roam free because you seem really super duper sorry. hold on oops gotta go! but here annie here's an easily breakable big red button. I will hand it to you RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE TRICKSTER GOD"

Oh but you see it's okay because Kat can track the trickster God. You know, assuming he doesn't just change into a different robot body, or a human, or just a robot that can't be tracked by Kat because he's a literal trickster God that can take any form he wants.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Now that he's joined the party he's not as strong as when he was the boss villian

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

YaketySass posted:

See, the problem is that a running joke is supposed to just come up once in a while, not stay around forever.
You finally got your own place?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Splicer posted:

You finally got your own place?

Like they've ever done any running

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Potato Salad posted:

imo domestic assault actually is a moral horizon

Tiny Myers posted:

Oh no yeah Loup is a loving garbage person and I hate him, for that if nothing else.

Bongo Bill posted:

The point being made was that it is not the moral horizon which the author was taking pains to avoid.

Yes.

You think it's a moral horizon. I also think it is a moral horizon. We are not in disagreement in any way here. The reply was to this:

Potato Salad posted:

Pointing out the author has specifically gone out of his way to make it arguable Loup Has Never Killed A Man. That does not mean I think domestic assault is acceptable.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I hated Loup before because he's way less interesting as a character than Coyote and Ysengrin, and while it was an exciting change in the status quo at first, having the comic just be The Loup Show for the past few years was boring. And now I hate him even more that the threat he was supposed to pose is coming to absolutely loving nothing through absolutely no action on the protagonists' part and in the most boring, milquetoast way possible.

Oh, he fell in love and now he's nice? Why? What does that have to do with his previous characterization, at all? What happened to him being a threat? Why is Tom afraid to actually have this conflict resolve in a satisfying way?

And, again, I don't think most of the readers even WANTED this in the first place. GC is best when it's slice of life with supernatural mysteries. But if you're going to set up a Big Bad you'd better be prepared to actually DEAL with them in an interesting way. This ain't it.

Loup needs to die. No way around it. That might lead to the rebirth of Coyote/Ysengrin, it might lead to there being a new nature god, or it might lead to there being NO ONE to oppose the court anymore. All of those scenarios are more interesting and fun and "he's still around and just a decent guy now".

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 15, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I keep thinking about the newspaper comic, For Better Or For Worse, and the character Anthony in it. I'll be honest, I was never too big of a FBOFW reader, so most of this is secondhand, but what struck me was how much everyone just collectively loathed Anthony. As far as I can tell, he was a character the comic devoted entirely too much focus to in lieu of other, more beloved characters. And the other characters in-universe were constantly extolling his virtues, which he didn't exactly do much to actually demonstrate in practice. The comic seemed to be constantly telling the reader: you should love this character. He is likable and a good guy and doing his best. Why don't you love him? Look at these other characters you like! They like him, so why don't you? And no matter how hard the author tried, everyone just collectively groaned whenever he showed up. And show up often, he did. I'm guessing the author either sensed the hostility or knew on some level this character was not as likable in the comic as he was in her head, and continued to make efforts in the service of changing that, but it merely compounded the problem.

Anyway, I just keep thinking about that. I wonder how common this problem is, that authors have a character they visibly love and think is the bees' knees but the readers extremely do not. And I wonder what typically causes it. It feels like there should be a TVTropes page for it or something.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly

Tiny Myers posted:

Anyway, I just keep thinking about that. I wonder how common this problem is, that authors have a character they visibly love and think is the bees' knees but the readers extremely do not. And I wonder what typically causes it. It feels like there should be a TVTropes page for it or something.

Good news, there is: Creator's Pet

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

FlocksOfMice posted:

God that whole arc was so powerful and then kat just brings them all back to life off screen and it's no big deal lol

I think it was supposed to be a big deal, but it was brushed aside in a couple panels, from what I recall. Kat comically tried to hide it from Annie. Annie saw what happened and was like, "You woke up the old robots!" and Kat was like, "But there's so much work to do!" and that was basically it. I think it was supposed to highlight Kat going further "down that road", and support the reasons Paz departed, but did obviously a poor job. It's incredible considering how many pages have been dedicated to Loup's journey that have added absolutely nothing to the comic.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Was Anthony the milquetoast dude the main female protagonist married at the end of the strip? I've barely read a For Better Or For Worse comic in my life, but I clearly remember the outpouring of rage around how it wrapped up.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 15, 2023

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Tiny Myers posted:

I keep thinking about the newspaper comic, For Better Or For Worse, and the character Anthony in it. I'll be honest, I was never too big of a FBOFW reader, so most of this is secondhand, but what struck me was how much everyone just collectively loathed Anthony. As far as I can tell, he was a character the comic devoted entirely too much focus to in lieu of other, more beloved characters. And the other characters in-universe were constantly extolling his virtues, which he didn't exactly do much to actually demonstrate in practice. The comic seemed to be constantly telling the reader: you should love this character. He is likable and a good guy and doing his best. Why don't you love him? Look at these other characters you like! They like him, so why don't you? And no matter how hard the author tried, everyone just collectively groaned whenever he showed up. And show up often, he did. I'm guessing the author either sensed the hostility or knew on some level this character was not as likable in the comic as he was in her head, and continued to make efforts in the service of changing that, but it merely compounded the problem.

Anthony was the high school sweetheart of the older daughter Elizabeth who disappeared for awhile. When he came back, he had canonically pressured his career oriented wife into having a child, then was hurt she didn't have any interest in raising her and was cold and distant to them both. They divorced, Anthony saves Liz from being raped, immediately unloads on her that his wife is leaving him.

Anthony was supposed to be a great guy and the love of Liz's life despite the author not realizing what a loathsome toad he is.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Jesus Christ, FBOFW got dark sometimes huh

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Weird aside; it's strange to me how often female authors will have their characters choose the safe and often boring beau. I don't want to knock anyone's preferences, but why settle in a fantasy?

Take a page from Jane Austen and make all your good boys be brooding beauties with tortured souls.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Jesus Christ, FBOFW got dark sometimes huh

And then it restarted from the beginning, with the exact same storyline but presented Elly's husband as an incompetent idiot because the author's real-life husband divorced her!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ok, who wants to bet that Jerrek will flip out and turn into Loup once he discovers Annie wasn't really ever into him? It just feels like a properly lovely ending to this whole plotline.

ngl I would actually find it kind of funny if Jerrek is just convinced that she was madly in love with him and she's just putting on a brave face now that he's moved on. stay delusional little buddy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
people (me included) have mentioned GC and Beastars in the same breath, mainly since the latter crashed and burned due to the exact same character dynamic - a dull and detestable antagonist who became a sucking chest wound in the story as the author refused to let them go

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Antimony already had something to demand from Loup: recall that threat/promise to free her from obligations to the psychopomps? That was a thing! They did not need to stand around like, well, side characters waiting for the protagonist to reveal their gambit.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

people (me included) have mentioned GC and Beastars in the same breath, mainly since the latter crashed and burned due to the exact same character dynamic - a dull and detestable antagonist who became a sucking chest wound in the story as the author refused to let them go

Loup and Melon spinoff comic when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Oxxidation posted:

I got a decent way into Beastars, I remember something about the deer guy who was at odds with the wolf protagonist getting killed and then like... coming back and turning into a mafia don or something, like he took over the gang that tried to kill him? Was that the antagonist? I remember thinking it was a little weird how the author just kept going back to him. I'd love to hear more if you feel like explaining or have a Youtube deep dive or article you'd recommend.