Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

[*]Regular Loot: Any single monster in the Throne could drop something nice, given their level. You could get a High Rune off a trash mob, a nice base, socketed or eth item. You could get a nice rare or a unique/legendary from trash maybe? But anything below rare is useless, so killing trash is mostly a waste of time.

Runes and runewords are really the thing that I'm feeling the absence of, more than anything else. The rarest drops being a handful of class/general uniques sucks. I guess there's the ultra rare shako but I'd rather get pieces of something similar in the form of rare runes over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
dev stream happening in the next couple of days

https://twitter.com/RodFergusson/status/1668869499133784064

no exact time yet though

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

GL to him and those moderating chat

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

blizzard's pretty good at filtering the ARPG brain rot from the normal people. they'll manage :)

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, that's just a run of the mill "holy warrior discovered corruption inside the institution" style story.

poo poo, Diablo 2 had the paladin going to loving town on their version of the Vatican in Act 3, basically going "wait you're doing loving WHAT in the basement?" and then bashing all the skulls.

There was a diablo 2 comic that was focused on the paladin and went into this a bit in . . . I want to say like 2003? fake edit: googling it looks like it was "Diablo: Tales of Sanctuary." Anyway, it leaned heavily into what Kurast was, howe mephisto corrupted it, and how that was all kind of an insane mind gently caress to the Pally.

I haven't read that, but that is cool. And the next class could be the Paladin or related...for spoiler reasons.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

edit: Nevermind, there was a post later with the answer

Blacktooth fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 14, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I definitely feel more squishy in this game than I ever did in Grim Dawn for example. I like resistances that actually work with the displayed percentage. With armor reducing physical damage taken. Is that too much to ask?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Lookit these guys https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/879780269865971743/1118259977010827294/shrine.mp4

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah it's very badly explained. The tooltip is also lying to you most of the time, when it comes down to how much damage you are doing (because it doesn't account for conditional bonuses of course). There are also tooltips that are flat out confusing, like Hydra having 60%+ lucky hit on its tooltip but being unable to proc Frost Nova enchantment to save its life.

fyi, Hydra is procing Frost nova for me

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I’m so glad arpg players aren’t the market for these kinds of games any more. I never could get into them, but this one slaps.
Just because 3 people in a forum thread (and half of Reddit) complain doesn't mean ARPG players aren't in the market for what Diablo 4 offers. I could write a nice essay about how Diablo 4 is trying to separate itself from all previous titles and the current competition while still catering to folks who love something from any of those other titles. I'm enjoying the game and I go wild in PoE, Last Epoch, D2R, and D3 again this past year. Heck I even downloaded that Ghostlore ARPG off game pass so I could enjoy me some ARPG action before the D4 launch. I'm definitely a loot nut. Diablo 4 has a lot of issues to work out but it's still in a way better place than Diablo 3 was for its first year.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Switched to firewall and it's da best

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

DaveKap posted:

Has anyone seen that a reward was available for a world boss but upon completion you didn't get a cache?

Thank you! That's the first and last WT4 boss I do for a while, then.

i did this in around level 64 and got a level 80 cache i can't open fml

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DaveKap posted:

Just because 3 people in a forum thread (and half of Reddit) complain doesn't mean ARPG players aren't in the market for what Diablo 4 offers. I could write a nice essay about how Diablo 4 is trying to separate itself from all previous titles and the current competition while still catering to folks who love something from any of those other titles. I'm enjoying the game and I go wild in PoE, Last Epoch, D2R, and D3 again this past year. Heck I even downloaded that Ghostlore ARPG off game pass so I could enjoy me some ARPG action before the D4 launch. I'm definitely a loot nut. Diablo 4 has a lot of issues to work out but it's still in a way better place than Diablo 3 was for its first year.

Diablo 3 inferno at launch with the RMaH and poo poo loot was really rough. When I came back AH free the game felt so much better and that was without the expansion. Current Diablo 3 is still one of my favourite mindless games. D4 is indeed much better to launch D3 but needs some tweaking for sure.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

paid money to post posted:

hey did you see this? suggesting that the portal is at the 'cow horn' on the map instead of caldeum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcib9SAG6U

The portal is probably in the door at the front of the cow face.

Donnerberg posted:

On closer inspection, the above is an unrelated quest. They just forgot to turn the interaction off once it's finished.

There might be something cow related in Shrouded Moors or its stronghold Moordaine Lodge though. Blizzard loves puns.

Also, there's another set of oxen heads at Bluffs of Olzei in the passage between Khargai Crags and Jakha Basin. No plaque on them.

I’m not convinced the ox puzzle is related to the cow level tbh. Blizzard has only ever used black and white cows for hell bovine.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
For starters D4 Launch was better than D3's because you can actually play it.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shoenin posted:

You sure about that?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mean I've seen a Queue like, once during early access and then once during launch.

It's definitely smoother than D3's.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shoenin posted:

I made a lot of money on the D3 launch so who’s to say what the better launch is.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Yall have some rose tinted glasses for the d3 launch. The game was barely playable for a few days and the only people to get past the act 2 wasps on infernal difficulty were playing the bugged sorc build that gave you temporary immortality.

Also, calling people “potards” for wanting more mob density is pretty bad! Wanting to kill more and faster is natural; its like wanting to pull the slot machine arm faster. Also, not sure where you get off at using the r word to stereotype the players of another game, but it makes you look sad and bitter.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Our hero in D4 isn't quite the 'nephalem' of D3, but rather awakened to their nephalem 'heritage' courtesy of ingesting Lilith's blood is what I figure.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

So the events of reaper of souls drat near wiped out humanity? I didn't get the impression it was so widespread from the game.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The login issues on d4 s launch were negligible

It was smart to spread out the logins over 4 or 5 days like they did

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

5er posted:

Our hero in D4 isn't quite the 'nephalem' of D3, but rather awakened to their nephalem 'heritage' courtesy of ingesting Lilith's blood is what I figure.

"Exceptionally talented humans that can somehow do what the Angiris Council and angels never could."

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

i think there's zero chance we're just a regular rear end human. mephisto finding us in a cave like that and everything that happened after. too much of a coincidence and our hero way too powerful

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

wemgo posted:

Also, calling people “potards” for wanting more mob density is pretty bad! Wanting to kill more and faster is natural; its like wanting to pull the slot machine arm faster. Also, not sure where you get off at using the r word to stereotype the players of another game, but it makes you look sad and bitter.

Yeah this thread has drawn a lot of edgelords from whatever corner of the forum is used as a spillway for that stuff and it's real stinky.

Azubah posted:

So the events of reaper of souls drat near wiped out humanity? I didn't get the impression it was so widespread from the game.

I have a vague memory of the "most of humanity" figure being canonized in the timeline Blizz dropped when this game was still in early development, and people reacting with some surprise then too. In D3 you basically just saw Westmarch going to hell (heaven?) and the rest was implied, I think.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I got the impression that the D4 hero is just a Real Tough Guy a la the D1 and D2 heroes. Could be nephalem, but the story seems to want to distance itself from that? Mundane heroes are more fun anyway.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Cantide posted:

fyi, Hydra is procing Frost nova for me

It can but it doesn’t do it as often as you’d expect based on the stated lucky hit chance for hydra. That chance is not per individual hydra fireball, it’s the cumulative total of every fireball that the hydras shoot over their duration.

One lucky hit thing that feels like a straight up bug is the firebolt enchantment. You automatically burn everything you hit when you use that enchantment but it looks like the burn can’t lucky hit at all. I was using the “burning damage lucky hits have a chance to restore mana” for the longest time on my ice shards sorc but then I actually tested it out and never saw it happen. I tried using a variety of different skills to cause the burn but never once saw the dot get a lucky hit.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Black Griffon posted:

I have a vague memory of the "most of humanity" figure being canonized in the timeline Blizz dropped when this game was still in early development, and people reacting with some surprise then too. In D3 you basically just saw Westmarch going to hell (heaven?) and the rest was implied, I think.

When Malthael is confronted in RoS he is actively ripping the souls out of all of humanity. I don't recall how much is implied(I keep remembering "90%" but it's been years) but the entire trek through the final dungeon is with one hell of an implication of doom in the background.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Is it possible that decreasing outlying monster density in specific dungeons is just establishing a baseline that can then be more easily and consistently changed later? It seems premature to conclude that the developers have made up their minds that the current experience in dungeons is immutable and mob density will never be increased.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Suprfli6 posted:

It can but it doesn’t do it as often as you’d expect based on the stated lucky hit chance for hydra. That chance is not per individual hydra fireball, it’s the cumulative total of every fireball that the hydras shoot over their duration.

One lucky hit thing that feels like a straight up bug is the firebolt enchantment. You automatically burn everything you hit when you use that enchantment but it looks like the burn can’t lucky hit at all. I was using the “burning damage lucky hits have a chance to restore mana” for the longest time on my ice shards sorc but then I actually tested it out and never saw it happen. I tried using a variety of different skills to cause the burn but never once saw the dot get a lucky hit.

Boo! And there I was, happy, because I was too lazy to do the math. Afaik Damage over time also can't crit

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Azubah posted:

Apperently it was something along the lines of 75-80% of all humanity getting Reaped. Westmarch in particular is now pretty much a ghost town that will never recover.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

When are the higher gem tiers unlocked?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

When are the higher gem tiers unlocked?

You can craft royals after reaching level 70.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SettingSun posted:

I got the impression that the D4 hero is just a Real Tough Guy a la the D1 and D2 heroes. Could be nephalem, but the story seems to want to distance itself from that? Mundane heroes are more fun anyway.
The Lore-ath videos that Blizzard published before the launch of Diablo 4 doesn't mention Diablo 3's obsession the heroes being Nephelem (to the point of just calling them Heroes, the same word used for the player characters in Diablo 1 and 2).

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

SettingSun posted:

The D1 Heroes were just "Real Tough Guys" and look how that worked out for them in the end. I'm pretty sure from 2 onwards we have been various stages of Nepalem, maybe 3 was PEAK NEPHALEM or something and that's why you had a Monk that could punch a Demon for 4 Trillion damage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

All monks can do that, tho

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Star Man posted:

"Exceptionally talented humans that can somehow do what the Angiris Council and angels never could."

There's that too. The player character can just simply be how it is.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah this thread has drawn a lot of edgelords from whatever corner of the forum is used as a spillway for that stuff and it's real stinky.

PoE thread: the last dozens of pages are posters encouraging and helping a few new players mixed with a little bit of excitement about a couple new trailers, not a single personal attack

D4 thread: meltdowns at the slightest hint of criticism about the game, people hurling insults and name-calling because they can't enjoy stuff on their own without making GBS threads on people who like other games or want the game to be a little different.

This thread sucks tbh, I've added more people to my ignore list from this thread alone than I have in 20 years of posting anywhere else on this dead gay forum.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Without having it on every item possible the lucky hit chance for a meteor to drop using blizz hasn't been too bad, generally get a few meteors per pack.

Not sure if stacking blizzards is giving me multiple chances to proc or not, hard to tell in game, the blizz and ice spikes (with ice shard enchant) and the amount of freeze is really strong on its own so things melt up to around nm35 so far.

Using the chill boots and frostburn gauntlet as well, and with paragon and skills into increased chill its considerable.

Took some inspo from the fellow one of y'all posted earlier. Now gonna try to make the lucky hit and freeze work with frozen orb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

This thread sucks tbh, I've added more people to my ignore list from this thread alone than I have in 20 years of posting anywhere else on this dead gay forum.

I feel like if this is really the case then maybe you should just stop reading this thread?