Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Phenotype posted:

Argh, I still can't even follow this thread, I just barely know what you guys are talking about at any given time.

I feel like I'm fundamentally playing a different game than most people. I'm not really thinking about the postgame at all, I'm just kinda playing this as I'd play any other video game. I just beat Act 1 last night, despite playing since release lol. I just keep getting distracted by sidequests and world events and dungeons! I see people saying to beeline the campaign and I'm trying to weigh it up in my head -- it'd be cool to experience the "real" game fresh at release with everyone else, but I dunno if I'm gonna be the kinda guy that runs endless Rifts or whatever, and I'm really, really enjoying Diablo 4 at a nice sedate pace, taking in all the sights and meeting all the people and doing all their quests.

But I dunno what the heck is going on with my gear yet, still mostly going with whatever has the biggest numbers. I had a really nice Legendary Bow with a good aspect, but I don't know how to strip off the aspect now that I've outgrown the bow, and I don't know when it would be worth bothering putting it on a different weapon anyway, given that I'm constantly changing out for new gear. Also wondering if the leveling system is gonna fall apart, since I'm already like level 29. Feels like signs from the game that I'm doing it wrong. :(

you're either a gamer dad or an arpg gamer and there's nothing wrong with either one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

BurningBeard posted:

On gems: can you not auto salvage equipment with gems in it? Do you seriously have to manually remove them first? Or am I just dumb and missing something?
Sell or salvage them and you'll get the gems back for free.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

BabyRyoga posted:

This isn't worth it, btw.

You get way more Cinders in WT4 just due to the density. If you are trying to do this because you are having trouble surviving or being effective in WT4 due to low level, getting more gear isn't really going to help you much with that; being higher level will.

Ya I did it like two times and then I was high enough level to just stay in wt4.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The people saying to beeline the story aren't saying that so you can get to the endgame quicker, getting the mount in act 4 makes doing all of the side stuff you're already doing so much less annoying. You do you, if you're having fun then keep playing the way you want, but doing every sidequest and dungeon you come across before you even reach act 2 is a good way to burn out before you get to the actual good stuff there is to see in the game.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

rally posted:

Which dungeon is that? I’m about to settle in for a 10 hour poopsock session and would love to maximize my time leveling.

:same:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

WhiteHowler posted:

Same. There are SO MANY conditionals now, and I sort of miss the days of "adds +xxx or +x% damage".

Okay, with this new axe I lose +16% damage to crowd controlled enemies, but I gain +18% damage to vulnerable enemies. It's hard to quantify because I don't really know how often one status or the other is up (assuming my character has ways to inflict both statuses). So instead of becoming an interesting trade-off, I tend to flip a coin and pick one. It's not a great feeling.

Maybe that's what Blizzard wants, rather than a bunch of grognards mulling over spreadsheets to find the absolute "best" build, but I don't feel like this is any better.
This is true, but the way damage bonuses work it's kinda easy to figure out your specific example.

Vulnerable is it's own damage "bucket" meaning that if you get +18% damage to vulnerable enemies, then you deal 18% extra damage when you hit a vulnerable enemy. Crit works the same way (however you have to factor the chance to crit in the calculations. So if you have 50% chance to crit and you deal 100% crit damage, you deal +50% damage on average.

Vulnerable and crit are unique in this regard, because all* the other types of damage multipliers are instead in the same bucket and have severe diminishing return. *Technically there are aspect and ability bonuses that are also their own "bucket" and work like vulnerable; they are worded in specific ways and you should check maxroll if you want to know more https://maxroll.gg/d4/getting-started/damage-for-beginners (they also have other basic guides to explain how stuff like fortify or lucky hit work).

To make it simple, alway prioritize vulnerable and crit+crit DMG over other type of damage multipliers from regular item affix if you have the choice, unless you know what you are doing.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 12, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

American McGay posted:

Ah ok. I had some old stuff marked as junk and it didn't salvage along with all the other junk in the stack so I didn't know if that was a safety measure against accidentally ditching gems you didn't mean to.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ruins of Eridu.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

That Italian Guy posted:

This is true, but the way damage bonuses work it's kinda easy to figure out your specific example.

Vulnerable is it's own damage "bucket" meaning that if you get +18% damage to vulnerable enemies, then you deal 18% extra damage when you hit a vulnerable enemy. Crit works the same way (however you have to factor the chance to crit in the calculations. So if you have 50% chance to crit and you deal 100% crit damage, you deal +50% damage on average.

Vulnerable and crit are unique in this regard, because all* the other types of damage multipliers are instead in the same bucket and have severe diminishing return. *Technically there are aspect and ability bonuses that are also their own "bucket" and work like vulnerable; they are worded in specific ways and you should check maxroll if you want to know more.

To make it simple, alway prioritize vulnerable and crit+crit DMG over other type of damage multipliers from regular item affix if you have the choice, unless you know what you are doing.

Unfortunately none of this info is in the game as far as I'm aware.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

exquisite tea posted:

Lucky Hit is just your proc coefficient, renamed to something even more confusing somehow.

What I hate about this is most of the stuff lucky hit can do has an additional x% chance on lucky hit. Just have one drat proc coefficient, not two!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

American McGay posted:

ah dang it! well that's like 0.5% of my total earnings out the window.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Unfortunately none of this info is in the game as far as I'm aware.
Yeah it's very badly explained. The tooltip is also lying to you most of the time, when it comes down to how much damage you are doing (because it doesn't account for conditional bonuses of course). There are also tooltips that are flat out confusing, like Hydra having 60%+ lucky hit on its tooltip but being unable to proc Frost Nova enchantment to save its life.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
to the goon who was baffled by the story and couldn't figure out lilith's motivation behind her actions despite her staring straight at the camera and telling you (multiple times): it's over for you

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Just play a Bone Spirit Necro, you won't ever have to worry about vulnerable or weakened if everything you do one-shots everything - bosses included.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah it's very badly explained. The tooltip is also lying to you most of the time, when it comes down to how much damage you are doing (because it doesn't account for conditional bonuses of course). There are also tooltips that are flat out confusing, like Hydra having 60%+ lucky hit on its tooltip but being unable to proc Frost Nova enchantment to save its life.

Right? I mean, anyone posting in this thread is already better-informed than 99% of the player base. If we're finding the new systems confusing and cumbersome, I can't imagine what a casual player is thinking.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter that much for those people because the game is incredibly easy on WT1, and becomes easy on WT2 after getting some levels and a few upgrades from WT1. You can take any drat build and roll your face along the buttons and beat most things. And the casual base probably won't push much higher than that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Get hosed if you sacrifice your minions imo. You're no Necro.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

I tried. The boys just can't hang in WT4.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do you get the gems back when you sell an item? I was under the impression you only got the gems back after dismantling so if I wanted to sell something with gems I've been taking them out manually. Would be nice if I didn't even have to do that.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

explosivo posted:

Do you get the gems back when you sell an item? I was under the impression you only got the gems back after dismantling so if I wanted to sell something with gems I've been taking them out manually. Would be nice if I didn't even have to do that.

You only get gems back when salvaging the items in which they're attached. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost anything to get the jeweler to remove a gem from an item.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Nfcknblvbl posted:

You only get gems back when salvaging the items in which they're attached. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost anything to get the jeweler to remove a gem from an item.

there's definitely an unsocket cost

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I might be stuck in WT3 if advancing means leaving my boys behind

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

Right? I mean, anyone posting in this thread is already better-informed than 99% of the player base. If we're finding the new systems confusing and cumbersome, I can't imagine what a casual player is thinking.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter that much for those people because the game is incredibly easy on WT1, and becomes easy on WT2 after getting some levels and a few upgrades from WT1. You can take any drat build and roll your face along the buttons and beat most things. And the casual base probably won't push much higher than that.

I actually don't agree with the difficulty remarks here. While leveling bosses are a huge pain in the rear end for a melee character, just for one. I imagine you can build past a lot of that, but if your damage output is lower than it should be or if you are forced to go into close range, it really doesn't matter if it's the first tier or not. I'm not saying it's brutally difficult or anything, and even though the game does scale you can probably build past some of this, but I think this take comes from an informed standpoint, and casual players don't know how they can mitigate these types of things because the conditional effects are so confusing.

It's a drat good thing we are dealing with an open world setup here or it would be a lot worse. But I gotta say I love that comparative lack of hand holding. Seriously, it can't be overstated how good it is to be able to level however you so choose even on a first playthrough. Yeah you're gonna want to finish the campaign eventually, but the when of that is entirely up to you for the most part and that is a really good thing, imho.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It costs gold but it's a negligible amount.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Potassium Problems posted:

there's definitely an unsocket cost

It was so hard to find this, they have a big UI window saying UNSOCKET GEM that takes like 1/4 of the screen, yet they use a little tooltip when you mouse over the item to tell you the unsocket cost, below sell cost.

Seems like an insignificant amount, at least.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Is the Aspect that gives all of them 20% DR not enough, with the other defense passives? I mean I'm still in WT2 so I'd believe it but man that sucks if they're that squishy.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 12, 2023

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

hey guys here's an image you can send your friends if they didn't play the beta:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Lorath all “It stinks in here of evil necromancy” I’m like hey gently caress you pal

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

That's a very trad way to look at a necro. Also I'm sure my bone boyz were completely content with giving up their undead lives in exchange for 1250% overpower at 10k attack power every 3 seconds, so that their master has the best screen clear in WT4 out of all classes.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
lol there's an unsocket cost?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gone Fashing posted:

lol there's an unsocket cost?

Yeah it's cheap but it says nowhere on the UI that you're spending money so you have to watch your gold count go down to realize it.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Fortify does nothing until you have >= your life worth of it, so if you're just getting tiny amounts it's not doing anything for you at all.

Only once fortify is higher than life does it activate 10% DR

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

explosivo posted:

Yeah it's cheap but it says nowhere on the UI that you're spending money so you have to watch your gold count go down to realize it.

it shows up on the tooltip of the item you are unsocketing

no idea why they put it there but that's where it is

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Zero VGS posted:

The loving cowards capped the number of active CE clouds to 5. When you cast a 6th the first will vanish

what the gently caress happy horse poo poo is this

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Also, fortify + life is used to calculate overpower damage. So if you're going overpower, you probably want fortify.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Could just obliterate the jeweler npc and let players do it all at literally no loss, tbh. Hell, gem crafting itself is kinda dumb. Granted if you ditched it and made gem availability purely a function of level, players would have less flexibility, but as far as I can tell, other than life on kill from skulls and on weapon, armor for jewelry, then rubies for a whack of life, I think gem usefulness is dubious at best while leveling.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Magus42 posted:

Fortify does nothing until you have >= your life worth of it, so if you're just getting tiny amounts it's not doing anything for you at all.

Only once fortify is higher than life does it activate 10% DR

I think to get the Fortify boons to proc, you need to have the second overlay health bubble completely full with the thick armor border showing around it. Having one full bubble and a bit of fortify still just treats you as Healthy for the sake of "+dmg while fortified" bonuses.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I am in a clan with my real life friends and our gaming schedules are not lining up real well, but its a blast when we can play together.

Having that said, how the gently caress do I find groups in this game otherwise? I never see people asking for groups in the LFG channels on the Diablo 4 discord and I don't really want to leave my real life friend clan for a goon clan. :(

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

BurningBeard posted:

Could just obliterate the jeweler npc and let players do it all at literally no loss, tbh. Hell, gem crafting itself is kinda dumb. Granted if you ditched it and made gem availability purely a function of level, players would have less flexibility, but as far as I can tell, other than life on kill from skulls and on weapon, armor for jewelry, then rubies for a whack of life, I think gem usefulness is dubious at best while leveling.

They drop with such frequency it feels like maybe you weren't supposed to be able to salvage them from sockets at some point. It's the one thing in the game that makes the least amount of sense to me, they barely sell for anything and the game showers you in them but you'll only ever need like 10 of each.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

game sold a lot, quickly to no ones surprise

https://investor.activision.com/news-releases/news-release-details/diablor-iv-crosses-666-million-sell-through-within-five-days

quote:

Within five days of launching, Diablo IV sell-through is the box-office equivalent of the biggest opening week of the year

Players have already clocked more than 276 million hours in Blizzard Entertainment’s fastest-selling game ever

The record-setting launch is just the beginning of a compelling live service game, with seasons beginning next month and expansions planned for years to come

IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jun. 12, 2023-- Diablo IV had the best-selling opening in Blizzard’s history, crossing an auspicious $666 million in global sell-through in the first five days following its June 6 launch*. The latest installment for the Diablo series, and Blizzard’s fastest-selling game ever*, is the box-office equivalent of the biggest opening week of the year**.

* Fastest selling based on both units and dollars sold through on all platforms through the first five days after launch (through June 10, 2023 for Diablo IV). Sell-through figures based on reporting received from digital partners, retailers, and Blizzard internal records and estimates.

** Per data according to Box Office Mojo by IMDb Pro, and Variety.

quote:

So what are players doing with all this time spent in Diablo IV?

276 billion demons killed since Early Access: nearly 35 times the global population.
Players have been vanquished over 316 million times
…over 5 million of those vanquishings were at the hands of the Butcher.
But they’re not falling alone - players have created a party with friends over 166 million times.
163 players have made it to the maximum level in Hardcore mode, where deaths are permanent.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

I think to get the Fortify boons to proc, you need to have the second overlay health bubble completely full with the thick armor border showing around it. Having one full bubble and a bit of fortify still just treats you as Healthy for the sake of "+dmg while fortified" bonuses.

Yes that's what the post you quoted is explaining. Fortify doesn't do anything until it exceeds your health, which makes you "fortified" and puts the armor border around your health bar. You don't need a full fortify bar, just more than your current health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

rally posted:

Which dungeon is that? I’m about to settle in for a 10 hour poopsock session and would love to maximize my time leveling.

Ruins of eridu, West of the veyska??? Wp south part of the map. Just keep running and stop and kill elites, more will spawn on top of you, it's actually really fun and what the entire game should have been like imo.

Once you finish phase one of the dungeon just leave dungeon leave game and then open again and it resets. Every two runs you'll have a full inventory to sell, they take about five minutes a run.

flashman fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 12, 2023