Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

#33: Senselessness - Universal Translator

#34: Senselessness - Our Hero Is Deceased

#35: Senselessness - Our Hero Is Unfriendly

MS Paint Masterpieces
#36: Senselessness - Grumpy Circumstances

#37: Senselessness - Professional Courtesy

#38: Senselessness - Amateur Hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Boba Pearl posted:

Chapter: 2 - Adventuring Academy
Page: 23
Title: Muffled

Marie is also tired

Author's Notes

I'm so tired, though fun fact, Marie's current form is based on something I actually see regularly it's rare that I can capture the essence of one of my hallucinations, but they're not all scary. Some are just pitiful, and I'm glad I could capture that feeling to canvas.

Wowwww that reminds me so much of the people I hallucinate in the mirrors when I'm sick. They're alright people I just don't want them there and I think they don't wanna be there either

This is amazing in general, as usual

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON CLOWN CORPS

alt: It'd be pretty funny if he still couldn't get a strike.

alt: we both came to this party with the same fighting style and SOMEONE has to go home and change

alt: for the previous page, which was all swordfighting, I included zero sound effects. for this page i wrote "twirl". one might conclude that i don't know what sounds are.

alt: we already know this guy's bad at bowling but JEEZ

alt: i don't care how buff your toes are, that's gonna hurt

fuckin lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

alt: i don't care how buff your toes are, that's gonna hurt

Can confirm

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Sorry to hear about your toes, Captain.

Hogback Saga

quote:

Máni is the name of the god of the moon in Norse mythology

In the Prose Edda there is a brief mention of two children leaving a well named Hjúki and Bil who are abducted by the moon and later accompany him on his travels what the exact mythological meaning of this can only now be guessed at (the well, the tub and the carrying pole are all named suggesting some significance)

It may have also inspired the later English nursery rhyme of Jack and Jill

Modern day Anglophone culture puts a lot emphasis on leaving home for the first time - leaving home to become a hostage... probably isn't much fun in comparison.

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance

Exposition time over, time to get a little distracted again. Asashimo has her supervillain vibes immediately ruined by the kid again.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Tree bucket, you magnificent bastard.

And I can't believe I missed the Disco E. comment as well.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Messer Papero

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Lolled irl several times

There can be no higher praise

Wait, yes there can

I'm glad it worked out! Panel four was originally Wakako going for the prone announcer's eyeball with her chopsticks. I drew it, looked at it, for a while, and hit delete.
(Not that the other version is much better. Bridgy's being strangled, but it sort of looks like he's into it?)

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh
I have a question about Wakako: is Pushuuu an actual Japanese expression, and what does it translate to in English, or do we just interpret it as something like "Phew"?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Frazzbo posted:

I have a question about Wakako: is Pushuuu an actual Japanese expression, and what does it translate to in English, or do we just interpret it as something like "Phew"?

It's usually the sound effect for opening a can of beer or something - "phew" is a good way to approach it in this context I think.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Joseph Joseph Joseph's all, we could die down here! Lisa Lisa's like, yup! Better start climbing!

Read right to left:

Jos3ph, you thundering dolt

Chapter 73 - Appendix to Professor Hamoni, Part 3: END

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's such a good artist

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tree Bucket posted:

(Not that the other version is much better. Bridgy's being strangled, but it sort of looks like he's into it?)
Suddenly seeing Bridgy being used as a pepper grinder was the first big lol

Also, Jos3ph could beat Solomon imo

e:

Synthbuttrange posted:

He's such a good artist
lmfao

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 08:35 on Jun 14, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

gently caress, I didn't WANT to like k6bd, I was actively trying to find reasons to hate it, but it's just so awesome.

lmao we told you that you were being silly about it and it'd be your favourite thing. :v

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hmm

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
At what point did "gay" take on its current meaning? 'cos Prince Valiant seems to use it really really frequently

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

sometime between then and now

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Frazzbo posted:

Giant Ethicist posted:

It's usually the sound effect for opening a can of beer or something - "phew" is a good way to approach it in this context I think.

The more you learn! Anyway, speaking of which:

Emzedoh posted:

Wakako-Zake 62nd Night: Squid Shiokara

Wakako-Zake 63rd Night: Century Egg Tofu

I won't pick it out of my rice porridge, but I can't honestly say I'm fond of century eggs.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

don Jaime posted:

So how did the Emperor Claudius get turned into one?

think it's a many-chambered gourd he turns into, it's just usually translated as pumpkinification because that sounds better in english

Tree Bucket posted:

At what point did "gay" take on its current meaning? 'cos Prince Valiant seems to use it really really frequently

about ten years before prince valiant was a comic, i reckon

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Giant Ethicist posted:

I unfortunately learned that the anime interprets it as some type of cutesy sigh as opposed to a relaxed 'phew' I think most people here read it as.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Cursed knowledge, Samovar.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tree Bucket posted:

There can be no higher praise

Wait, yes there can

I'm glad it worked out! Panel four was originally Wakako going for the prone announcer's eyeball with her chopsticks. I drew it, looked at it, for a while, and hit delete.
Just a quiet night in choking the bridge ornament

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Send me money Tsingtao Brewery

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Tree Bucket posted:

The Chako-Wakako eating competition
w/ thanks to Phthisis for the white rectangle translation gag, and of course to Giant Ethicist and Emzedoh for tireless posting, curating and translating

Incredible!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

This scene is from Bringing Up Baby, a 1938 movie (so, roughly contemporaneous with these Prince Val strips):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCymsoQL49c

Cary Grant's famous line here was an ad lib that wasn't in the script, and people debate whether this is the first instance of "gay" being used to refer to homosexuality in a Hollywood movie (supposedly there were one or two uses earlier in the 30s but they were censored in post-production), but with plausible deniability because the line could also refer to the more traditional use of the word to mean happy, cheerful, etc. If it really was Cary Grant slipping in a reference to being gay as we understand the word today, it suggests that the 30s was a time when the meaning of the word was starting to change but the dominant use was still "happy", otherwise the film censors wouldn't have let them keep this in the movie.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tall Penguin

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
This seems like an appropriate time to copy some of my stuff from the KSBD thread.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:magical:

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

don Jaime posted:

So how did the Emperor Claudius get turned into one?

This is a good deep cut and I appreciate you.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

think it's a many-chambered gourd he turns into, it's just usually translated as pumpkinification because that sounds better in english

Right, what they said. It's kind of like how 'corn' used to mean grain in general but now we only use it to talk about maize, I think. That's the Doylian explanation, anyway. The Watsonian explanation is that the gods span all continents and can do what they want.

Now buckle up because Prince Val gets rad as hell today!!!

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (April 23-30, 1939)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Okay Val did we learn anything here? Anything at all? No you just immediately chug the wine prepared by a weird lady in a cave again. Goddammit Val.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Let's see how gay Val is having tussled with the grim spectre of Aging!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So that was your plan all along Tree, to have me recontextualize Val wrestling with Tim!
I'll get to it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
By popular demand, indeed.
Is the cave sorceress Tim's gf or what?

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Jun 14, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Owl at Home posted:

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (April 23-30, 1939)

well thats basically Thor dancing with Elli
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdG2p2asNFs&t=113s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elli

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Blasphemous Saga Fantasy

The way "Ceris" runs is one of my favorite gags.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm fairly sure the K6BD crowd is applauding on the basis of 'I don't know what the gently caress just happened, but it was loving awesome.' Similar to the readers.

Generally a rule that bored immortals tend to have the shell crack a bit when they encounter something genuinely unexpected.