Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

moths posted:

The new MtG set depicts Aragorn from LotR as a Black man, which feels like someone there is finally telling the hateful contingent to get hosed.

They did stuff like that before - only to back down later. For example mentions of Nissa and Chandra being lesbian has been painted over for china market

Mors Rattus posted:

Nah, the Ariadnans look like army dudes, which gets you a different kind of guy than the guys who have Catholic power armor.

Maybe so - I thought "HUHA MURICA" faction would appeal to the same type of asswipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Covermeinsunshine posted:

They did stuff like that before - only to back down later. For example mentions of Nissa and Chandra being lesbian has been painted over for china market

It's one thing to pick and choose between demos within a market. It's another to be afraid of being kicked out wholesale from one. Lots of companies entering the Chinese market engage in preemptive censorship out of the fear of government censors refusing a product (and thus the company taking a financial hit remaking products and possibly delaying release)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Backing down from China is a lot less of a moral failing than yielding to someone like Sean Hannedy or whoever.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There isn't really any practical difference. Especially when the overwhelming majority of "this was for china" self censorship isn't even about conforming to Chinese law so much as avoiding making the Sean Hannities of China mad about it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I know they got blasted pretty hard for the bi/gay erasure in War of the Spark, though that controversy seems positively tiny compared every other thing they've hosed up since. I had thought there was something in MOM or Aftermath that had greater clarity on the canon of their relationship, but I can't find it except maybe implied on Open The Way. Maybe I am conflating people talking about the supporting fiction and it wasn't an actual card.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The MOM fiction ends on Chandra and Nissa kissing. And the MoM Aftermath fiction has a story with Nissa and Chandra figuring out where their relationship is after the previously mentioned War of the Spark fiction that apparently broke them up.

TL;DR: Chandra is a pansexual disaster who hadn't really had a serious relationship before and was still trying to figure out "I wanna bone that dude/girl" and "I wanna have a long term fulfilling relationship with that dude/girl" as different impulses requiring different responses. They figure their poo poo out, become official, and head off to wander the multiverse together, trying to find their way back to Zendikar via Omenpaths as represented in Open the Way.

There's also Saheeli and Huatli's relationship that's referenced/referred to on several cards but as far as we know they've both been desparked and are stranded on different planes so it's unclear how that will proceed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

The MOM fiction ends on Chandra and Nissa kissing. And the MoM Aftermath fiction has a story with Nissa and Chandra figuring out where their relationship is after the previously mentioned War of the Spark fiction that apparently broke them up.

That's a nice change from Greg Weisman of Gargoyles fame writing about how no really Chandra was only into big muscly men with big muscles.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

If we are counting down Ral Zarek and Lukka were gay as well while Ashiok is nb if I remember correctly.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Terrible Opinions posted:

There isn't really any practical difference. Especially when the overwhelming majority of "this was for china" self censorship isn't even about conforming to Chinese law so much as avoiding making the Sean Hannities of China mad about it.

Did they make the change globally to appease China? That's different than my understanding, where it was like WoW in that they make a region-approved version that doesn't have any LGBT or skeletons.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Ominous Jazz posted:

40k lost the "parody" of its settling a LONG time ago especially with the imperium and doubly especially with the Space Marines who are always cool even in failure even in death even in eternal servitude.

There's a great story about the superman radio show tanking klan membership by having them as cartoonish and embarrassing losers so maybe that's the energy needed to rid 40k of the nazi fans

Rand Brittain posted:

Replace the Empire with the Yiga Clan?
Portray the space marines as skaven stormvermin. You want to deromanticize the fascists in 40k, you pull off the glamour and the glitz and start writing them the same way you do your compulsively backstabbing wunderwaffen-addicted failurerats.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The point under discussion here in particular WotC retconning a gay relationship globally, which was then blamed on China. Then according to other posts here the retcon was walked back.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 13, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I missed that, sorry. That's hosed up.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

moths posted:

I missed that, sorry. That's hosed up.

Lucky for them book that was done in was really poo poo so everyone forgot about it

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If we are counting down Ral Zarek and Lukka were gay as well while Ashiok is nb if I remember correctly.

Ral Zarek is in a relationship with Tomek.

Lukka was a goddamn moron who seemed to actively align himself with every villain he could find and no one mourns his passing.

Lucky for them book that was done in was really poo poo so everyone forgot about it

Yeah, Forsaken was a bad book with plot and lore inconsistencies on par with That One Mass Effect Book so beyond acknowledging the broad strokes of what happened it's basically ignored in the greater canon of the plot.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Looks like NuTSR are over. Declared bankruptcy and asking for a stay on the Wotc lawsuit.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

The point under discussion here in particular WotC retconning a gay relationship globally, which was then blamed on China. Then according to other posts here the retcon was walked back.

Yeah, they walked it back and basically put out an article on their website saying they're instead just going to not post those stories in markets where they are illegal instead of trying to make a product where they don't have to change anything. So I guess don't expect to ever see it on card art.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Which functionally means any and all gay content must be so unimportant that it can be easily excised for export without causing confusion. It's also usually not about actual legality, but rather appeasing busy body social groups that will complain to advertisers.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Deptfordx posted:

Looks like NuTSR are over. Declared bankruptcy and asking for a stay on the Wotc lawsuit.

imagine being ernie gygax right now

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Make a bunch of real good broken cards with gay art on them and release two booster categories, one with the gay and one where those cards just aren't pullable.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Deptfordx posted:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I can't see how they thought this would go.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Splicer posted:

Make a bunch of real good broken cards with gay art on them and release two booster categories, one with the gay and one where those cards just aren't pullable.
The Thebes set!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Nutsr also had to compete with a poker thing called nutsr of Google is anything to go by

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Chinese printing of Open the Way has the exact same art. I'd need someone to translate the flavor text on the chinese version of gold forged thoptyryx to see if they edited out the reference to huatli/saheeli but it looks like it's in the other languages.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Drakyn posted:

Portray the space marines as skaven stormvermin. You want to deromanticize the fascists in 40k, you pull off the glamour and the glitz and start writing them the same way you do your compulsively backstabbing wunderwaffen-addicted failurerats.

I've always felt like the Pigmask Army from Mother 3 were far and away the most accurate portrayal of fascists in media: stupid, incompetent, obsessed with gizmos that don't work, ideologically bankrupt, but still dangerous because they escalated to eleven before anybody got round to taking them seriously.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy
NuTSR owner Justin Lenasa listed himself and another of his businesses as the primary creditors for nuTSR, so this is 100% him finally realizing he was going to lose and trying to weasel his way out of having to pay anything. Including his own lawyers, as they're the rest of the creditors.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This is a big win for LaNasa. Thanks to the TSR fiasco, the first Google result for his name is no longer a fine for unpaid taxes.

LaNasa is a business owner and general real-estate slimeball, so I suppose he needs/needed to arrange things carefully so that WotC can't go after his assets. (Interestingly, he invented a gravity knife that attaches to a Picatinny rail. In case you need to carry a fighting knife, and you already have an assault rifle, but aren't wearing pants.)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Whybird posted:

I've always felt like the Pigmask Army from Mother 3 were far and away the most accurate portrayal of fascists in media: stupid, incompetent, obsessed with gizmos that don't work, ideologically bankrupt, but still dangerous because they escalated to eleven before anybody got round to taking them seriously.

Had a banger theme though

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

(Interestingly, he invented a gravity knife that attaches to a Picatinny rail. In case you need to carry a fighting knife, and you already have an assault rifle, but aren't wearing pants.)

Had a look and this is even stupider than it sounds. It’s basically a sharpened spike that pops out of your vertical foregrip when you flick a button. I’m absolutely, 100% sure it won’t ever snag on your gear and accidentally make you stab yourself in a randomly chosen part of your body.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Maybe so - I thought "HUHA MURICA" faction would appeal to the same type of asswipe

Infinity America is explicitly a backwater Disneyfied version of America that's under the thumb of the Infinity Russians, so you can imagine how well that goes over with the chudlier populace

Corvus Belli is stupid in entirely different ways, like trying to reach out to the Eastern European market by going in on Tuetonic Knights, or going hog wild on support for Infinity Russia right before the invasion.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Comrade Koba posted:

Had a look and this is even stupider than it sounds. It’s basically a sharpened spike that pops out of your vertical foregrip when you flick a button. I’m absolutely, 100% sure it won’t ever snag on your gear and accidentally make you stab yourself in a randomly chosen part of your body.
It sounds like an "anti-zombie" weapon for the people who were doing that kind of TacticLOL stuff 15 years or so ago.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Infinity America is explicitly a backwater Disneyfied version of America that's under the thumb of the Infinity Russians, so you can imagine how well that goes over with the chudlier populace

Corvus Belli is stupid in entirely different ways, like trying to reach out to the Eastern European market by going in on Tuetonic Knights, or going hog wild on support for Infinity Russia right before the invasion.

Oh yeah that's right the russian were-bears were introduced right before the invasion lol.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Kurieg posted:

Oh yeah that's right the russian were-bears were introduced right before the invasion lol.

Or the 'Armata-2' heavy infantry Ratnik troopers, those came out in 2020, but they actually exist unlike the T-14.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Drakyn posted:

Bonus point is that this way they can be even more entertaining because they're a lot funnier.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Interestingly, he invented a gravity knife that attaches to a Picatinny rail. In case you need to carry a fighting knife, and you already have an assault rifle, but aren't wearing pants.

This is always happening to me. :negative:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

Here's a Polygon article reporting on it
https://www.polygon.com/23759783/dnd-dungeons-dragons-lawsuit-tsr-bankrupt-chapter-7

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

quote:

Documents filed in North Carolina paint a grim picture for TSR. They show gross revenue for the first 23 weeks of the year of just $621.93. Total liabilities — which include money owed to LaNasa himself, as well as another of his businesses, plus legal fees — total $384,941.99.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Documents filed in North Carolina paint a grim picture for TSR. They show gross revenue for the first 23 weeks of the year of just $621.93. Total liabilities — which include money owed to LaNasa himself, as well as another of his businesses, plus legal fees — total $384,941.99.
Someone who is good at the economy, please help me, my family is dying

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

dwarf74 posted:

Someone who is good at the economy, please help me, my family is dying

spend less on being racist

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010