Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kecske posted:

being performatively above pop culture things is par for the course

It's entirely possible to just not think Friends was very funny. There's nothing performative about it.

I like lots of trash, most of my posts on Something Awful are in the wrestling sub-forum, before signing up here I mostly posted on metal forums, and you don't get much more than trashy than wrestling and heavy metal. I just don't find Friends very funny, broad comedy isn't really my think and I'm sure it's the same thing for Jedit. It's not even a matter of being low-brow, plenty of UK sitcoms I've enjoyed were low brow as hell, Rik Mayall wasn't making you think about the deep questions of existence when he was battering Eddie Hitler with a frying pan.

TBH a lot of it is a US sitcom thing. I can watch clips from something like Parks & Recs or US Office, but I try watching a full episode and it's just...not for me. Do like Rick & Morty (well, the first 2 seasons) but that's because it's extremely loving stupid TV wrapped up in the thinnest veneer of smart concepts. I like that and think it's hilarious that Rick & Morty became best known for that "You Have To Have a Very High IQ to Understand Rick and Morty" meme. It's just fart and poop jokes basically and facts are unequivocally hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Frasier is loving awful, the praise it gets is mind-boggling.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mr Phillby posted:

Humour is subjective.

NO

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Dead Goon posted:

Frasier owned tbf

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gay people in Friends are a punchline. Black people are a footnote.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Mr Phillby posted:

It has some jokes though, the man put a turkey on his head for example.

Simpsons Mr. Bean did it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

It's entirely possible to just not think Friends was very funny. There's nothing performative about it.
Maybe I'm just getting hung up on technicalities but there's a big difference between "I didn't like it" and "the show has no jokes and people who like it are weird." The former is fine, the latter is hipster poo poo.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Maybe I'm just getting hung up on technicalities but there's a big difference between "I didn't like it" and "the show has no jokes and people who like it are weird." The former is fine, the latter is hipster poo poo.

May I please submit “Mrs Brown’s Boys” into evidence for your consideration

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I generally liked the episodes of Seinfeld where it hinges on George and/or Elaine being terrible/stupid more than the ones where Seinfeld himself is the main character that episode.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

George is the best character on the show hands down imo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He killed the bubble boy!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I saw there'd been a bunch of new posts and assumed something had happened but, nope.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dead Goon posted:

Hard same, everything I've watched has been bog standard sitcom schlock except they talk about opera instead of sport.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

George is the best character on the show hands down imo.
:yeah:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Just Another Lurker posted:

I found Frasier a likeable show, Seinfeld & Friends did nothing for me at all. :shrug:

Frasier has held up surprisingly well; my kids are 11 and 13 and they love it. It’s very tightly written and performed I think, and it works well without a laugh track.

Friends…eh. It was ok at the time I guess. Seinfeld has moments of darkly funny genius.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Thank you. I expect bullshit like "you don't like what I like, you must just be performative" from the loving fash. I don't expect it here.

I never liked Bottom - IMO it was just The Young Ones with more slapstick violence and less good characters and jokes, a complete waste of Rik Mayall - but there's plenty of TV comedies that are good and funny. Red Dwarf has aged a bit, but it still hits when it hits. In sketch comedy Not the Nine O'clock News remains terrifyingly relevant for a topical show - Race and Responsibility, National Wealth Beds and Constable Savage could have been written yesterday instead of over 40 years ago.

My benchmark for humourless cunts is set by a simple standard: if you can't watch Dave Allen's Irish funeral sketch without cracking a grin at least once, then it's you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20xstCWkBco

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Is bottom right the Denise Richards episode

Friends was good, it sanded off whatever edge it may have had over the years ('flanderised'?) but was at the top for good reason.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I saw there'd been a bunch of new posts and assumed something had happened but, nope.

Something did happen. People enjoyed things incorrectly

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
I mean if you throw out as many episodes as friends did I guess having a few funny episodes in there will happen due to the sheer numbers :v:

It is poo poo for its bigoted episodes and I find it bland, but then again I did sit through all of HIMYM and it was very funny at the time, now though looking back it is full of yikes itself. Same for scrubs really

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Tesseraction posted:

*dialling 999* hello yes can you put me through to the ambulance service please

AI voice: your cancer is terminal

Patient: You are wrong, I don't have cancer..

AI: Sorry for the mistake. You are right, my previous answer was based on inaccurate information. An ambulance will be dispatched if you fill in this form and pay the AI ambulance surcharge.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Frasier is amazing, as long as you're fully onboard with the premise that the Crane Boys are the two biggest pieces of poo poo on the planet and we the audience should be rooting for their destruction at all times

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jedit posted:

Thank you. I expect bullshit like "you don't like what I like, you must just be performative" from the loving fash. I don't expect it here.

I never liked Bottom - IMO it was just The Young Ones with more slapstick violence and less good characters and jokes, a complete waste of Rik Mayall - but there's plenty of TV comedies that are good and funny. Red Dwarf has aged a bit, but it still hits when it hits. In sketch comedy Not the Nine O'clock News remains terrifyingly relevant for a topical show - Race and Responsibility, National Wealth Beds and Constable Savage could have been written yesterday instead of over 40 years ago.

My benchmark for humourless cunts is set by a simple standard: if you can't watch Dave Allen's Irish funeral sketch without cracking a grin at least once, then it's you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20xstCWkBco

Things I find funny:

Dave Allen was fantastic. I was allowed to watch it as a kid. I also enjoyed Yes Minister, All Gas & Gaiters (REALLY showing my age here!), Men from the Ministry especially the episode when they were reported as having sent up a big rocket with secretary Muriel (IIRC) as the astronaut, Tony Hancock, The Young Ones, Monty Python, Black Books, the Spike Milligan Q series - well a bit 'curates egg' that one.

Things that I don't find funny:

Fawlty Towers, Mr Bean, Vicar of Dibley, The Office, most episodes of Black Mirror that I have seen (from S1), Terry & June (my folks LOVED that).

There are some shows that I quite literally belly-laugh to but can't remember off hand now!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

facts are unequivocally hilarious
this is true and therefore also very funny

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

DiscoWitch posted:

I mean if you throw out as many episodes as friends did I guess having a few funny episodes in there will happen due to the sheer numbers :v:

It is poo poo for its bigoted episodes and I find it bland, but then again I did sit through all of HIMYM and it was very funny at the time, now though looking back it is full of yikes itself. Same for scrubs really

Scrubs is a funny one because it has episodes which seem ahead of the curve even now and other ones that make you go :eyepop:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Things that I don't find funny:

most episodes of Black Mirror that I have seen (from S1)

Who told you this was a comedy?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 14, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Black Mirror isn’t supposed to be funny except for like a small handful of black comedy moments sprinkled through the whole thing

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Black Mirror isn’t supposed to be funny except for like a small handful of black comedy moments sprinkled through the whole thing

Oh I thought it was supposed to be a comedy show. That explains it!

Mega Comrade posted:

Who told you this was a comedy?

Probably noone I just assumed from the prime minister & pig episode.

Mind you, "they" keep saying Succession is a black comedy but I don't really see that at all, though I do love the show and have just 5 episodes to go to finish it all. (I never said I was an arbiter of taste when it comes to tv and I don't care!)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Your response to black mirror should be a mix of
:hmmyes: and :stonk:

Succession though I do think is a black comedy. I've peed a little laughing atleast twice watching the show.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
in landlording news

Tenant urges others to follow after deposit win

quote:

A series of housing tribunal rulings have now rejected EHPL's argument that it is operating holiday lets from Mr Fortune's properties and as such the people living there should get the same protections as ordinary letting agreements.

quote:

"But it has been three years now, a lot of effort and stress in this process, but I am doing it for the other people in this situation.

3 years to get £275 back

quote:

The flat is owned by Mark Fortune, a businessman who has been refused entry to Scotland's landlord register.

that name again:

quote:

Mark Fortune, a businessman

sounds like an upstanding guy!

quote:

In 2013, Mr Fortune was refused entry to Scotland's landlord register after being convicted of offences directly relating to his letting business, including threatening tenants.

Oh, turns out he's a scumbag who deserves a shallow ditch. QUELLE SURPRISE

quote:

He has previously denied that he operates as a landlord and rents out flats.

The latest tribunal ruling said Mr Fortune gave submissions on behalf of EHPL - of which he is a former director - and on a number of occasions "seemed to refer to himself as the landlord accidentally".

oopsie! turns out he's an idiot scumbag too

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Fond memories of lurking the Cookdnbombd Chris Morris fan forums back in the day. People were so ANGRY that the Boosh era crowd were making absurdist MONKEY CHEESE humour, which is completely different from the absurdist genius of the Pythons. Also that all modern comedians went to Cambridge just to join the Footlights, instead of going to Cambridge respectably to study medicine or law, like the Pythons. The Horror.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Scrubs is a funny one because it has episodes which seem ahead of the curve even now and other ones that make you go :eyepop:
There's an episode where the punchline to one of the flashbacks is that Dr Cox and his wife got date raped by another doctor. Profoundly weird. Also it's hard to get past the first episode's invoking of the friend zone without your brain screaming incel.

Same sort of 'hasn't aged well' as seeing Bryan Singer's name in the credits of House and then the rest of the episode revolving around 'funny' sexual harrassment.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

If you all want an actually good (american) sitcom I think The Other Two is very much up this thread's alley and also genuinely funny. 3 seasons so far.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

sebzilla posted:

Friends was filmed in front of an audience iirc
Can verify, was in it once. (I was a journalist at the time and Warners paid for me to fly to LA first class, which is the best job perk I've ever had.)

It's a weird experience, though. When they're not actually shooting a scene, there's a comedian literally running around the stands trying to keep the energy level high, which must be exhausting because more time is spent not shooting than otherwise, and it's a loooooong day. The moment a scene is finished, a bell rings and the actors disappear to their dressing rooms, while the writers (who are usually lurking offstage) rush off to come up with new jokes if anything didn't hit the mark. They might do a scene four or five times with almost totally different gags each time until they get a good reaction from the audience. (There are no large flashing signs saying "LAUGH", BTW. If a joke dies, the actors and crew know it immediately.)

Any footage without audience laughter either had the sound mixed down (there are mics all over the place above the audience seating) or was a reshoot on a different day. They shot extra scenes for at least two other episodes during the one I saw filmed, and I know they did reshoots for that because David Schwimmer and Matthew Perry were absent. (Memory's fuzzy, but I think they shot Perry's scenes with a double and cut in his closeups later, and Schwimmer had a subplot where he wasn't with the rest of the gang so could be filmed another day.)

Humour is obviously subjective, but to me the Friends/Seinfeld/Frasier/Larry Sanders period was the high point of TV comedy and I haven't seen anything even remotely as funny since. (Certainly not Baddiel's Syndrome. :haw: )

Matt LeBlanc was by far the funniest Friends cast member IRL, incidentally.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jedit posted:

I expect bullshit like "you don't like what I like, you must just be performative" from the loving fash. I don't expect it here.

You didn't just say you didn't like it, you did a whole performative bit about how it did not contain jokes.

Jedit posted:

There's nothing to get in Friends... there literally weren't any jokes in it.

I can see why you evidently like it though.

Why do you think I like it?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Back in the late 90s, I remember Channel 4 had a friday night comedy block that they advertised as such, which contained Friends and Frasier.

Except Cybill was also shown between the episodes of Friends and Frasier but somehow wasn't part of the advertised comedy block even though it's also a comedy and if you just left the TV on after Friends you'd get to that before Frasier? It was really odd, unless it was some weird thing where to get Friends and Frasier they had to advertise them that way, who knows. I liked Cybill more than Friends tbh.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Friends is okay but I can never get over the fact that Ross, the largest friend, at no point eats the other friends.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Payndz posted:

Matt LeBlanc was by far the funniest Friends cast member IRL, incidentally.

Matt becoming a meme on Irish Twitter a couple years back was a wonderful bit of internet.

Just lookit the lil guy :3:

Alicia Witt :swoon:

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 14, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Years ago I saw David Schwimmer doing a live TV thing where he publicly humiliated a young woman in the audience who had probably been looking forward to that evening for ages, bloody oik. It was awful. She'd written him a fan letter and he asked if she was in the audience and she was obviously thrilled until the humiliation started.

what a oval office

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Probably noone I just assumed from the prime minister & pig episode.

That's not a comedy, that's the result of Charlie Brooker somehow finding himself in the plot of the Lathe of Heaven IRL

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
plays the same gormless big streak of piss (david schwimmer) in every drat thing he's in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

Fond memories of lurking the Cookdnbombd Chris Morris fan forums back in the day. People were so ANGRY that the Boosh era crowd were making absurdist MONKEY CHEESE humour, which is completely different from the absurdist genius of the Pythons. Also that all modern comedians went to Cambridge just to join the Footlights, instead of going to Cambridge respectably to study medicine or law, like the Pythons. The Horror.
The Pythons developed a method of taking something quite high brow and then deliberately making it really silly. Like throwing out the question "German or Greek philosophers?" and then answering it with a football match. Or the guy who rejects the whole concept of monarchy in the Holy Grail. Or the scene with Michael Palin casually and delightfully asking "Crucifixion?" to a queue in Holy Grail, finally ending up with Eric Idle trying to blag his way out of punishment.

CookdnBombd was definitely overdramatic back in the day (especially with the footlights stuff, I remember them raging about some small documentary that featured a young Richard Ayoade and Matt Holness and I just didn't get it) but the Boosh has none of the staying power that Monty Python does because its just wacky shite. Python absolutely has its problems and I fully expect that for a comedy group thats nearly 60 years old, but they were vastly better than the Boosh ever was.

Actually I will say one thing I struggled with recently; Third Rock from the Sun. I got this idea in my head to revist that from the beginning and almost every single gag in the first episode was just making fun of a character for being a woman. Not only were the gags lazy, but there were so many of them.