Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
Played a few hours today but only QP. Cass seems broken. Mei seemed underwhelming. JQ was the same. Didn't see many good Widows so that's a good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Okay, Moira's new Highlight Intro is good.
Not enough to make me start playing again but good enough to make me chuckle when I saw it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Pvt. Parts posted:

Little different if it's an ult innit bruv

oi mate a cassidy nicked me wraith walk

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

field balm posted:

lmao, surely stopping already activated abilities on hit and not locking their use when it explodes is not what they intended???

It was exactly what they intended and i'm kinda happy it works the way it does, because its consistent.

That being said, poor Rein. gently caress ball tho. Finally the assholes who keep picking cree into him might actually annoy it.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Jack Trades posted:

Okay, Moira's new Highlight Intro is good.
Not enough to make me start playing again but good enough to make me chuckle when I saw it.

Y'all (Timmies?) are weird. Just play the game or don't who cares.

Signed,
A Spike

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah it's this, lol at the idea of OW having some 'internal consistency of design' beyond the extent of them having made some really fuckin weird decisions and then blindly stuck with them regardless of any and all feedback for seven years.

Internal consistency is the wrong term maybe. I guess I mean WYSIWYG-ism, which OW does well for the most part. There is some real weird stuff along the lines of what Marblr documents like Cassidy ult LOS quirks. But CSGO literally has people bouncing nades off the skybox shudder.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Obviously they should have just reverted back to OW1 stun. It was perfect and thematically correct.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Oh god no.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's a flashbang, why not just a blind and some damage.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Cree's stun was fine, them adding 50 types of CC to the game and then not having abilities to cleanse it was not.

Then when they finally bought out a character that could they'd taken away 90% of the CC so now all she has to do is use it on the one or two people in the game that might actually have it.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

dogstile posted:

Cree's stun was fine, them adding 50 types of CC to the game and then not having abilities to cleanse it was not.

Then when they finally bought out a character that could they'd taken away 90% of the CC so now all she has to do is use it on the one or two people in the game that might actually have it.

Kiriko's cleanse can remove Ana's and JQ's anti debuff, and Zen's discord orb so it's still really good imo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pattonesque posted:

I'm convinced people do not have their headphones on because like ... you can *hear* a sombra opening up on your backline, and you can *hear* the reaper teleporting into place and you can *hear* cassidy clomping about for a high noon flank and most of them simply do not react
Honestly, I've learned over time that many many gamers do not have headphones or just pay 0 attention to sound period.

People playing games while listening to music is a big part of this, too.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

Honestly, I've learned over time that many many gamers do not have headphones or just pay 0 attention to sound period.

Yesternight i couldn't play with sound for a little while because my headset was recharging and it was a blessing to have a lifeweaver on the team because he would pull me back to the supports when they got dived.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

heard u like girls posted:

Kiriko's cleanse can remove Ana's and JQ's anti debuff, and Zen's discord orb so it's still really good imo.

Nono, that's my point. Kiriko is so good because she doesn't really have to pick and choose the CC, she just has a couple things to look out for and it eliminates the play entirely.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

dogstile posted:

Nono, that's my point. Kiriko is so good because she doesn't really have to pick and choose the CC, she just has a couple things to look out for and it eliminates the play entirely.

Yeah okay.

I don't really pick her because her healing skill feels kinda awkward to use for me personally, compared to LW, Ana or Moira.

Laying in bed getting flashbacks of slow green cards flying through the air to a Rein and just barely not making it in time while they get bursted down ;_;

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 14, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Yeah okay.

I don't really pick her because her healing skill feels kinda awkward to use for me personally, compared to LW, Ana or Moira.

Laying in bed getting flashbacks of slow green cards flying through the air to a Rein and just barely not making it in time while they get bursted down ;_;

Sounds like Rein's problem, if he wanted to live he wouldn't get shot :v:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Same, and I can't get the timing of her kunai down either.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

:hmmyes:

* bap voice * stand still so i can heal you, but also move to avoid the bullets

:haibrower:

but seriously, to me LW feels like a ok pick (in bronze at least) because you can just pull Rein behind a wall before he storms back in after 2 seconds. I know a lot of people hate getting interrupted or losing control whatever, but when it works out you both feel like 4d chess masters.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Overwatch Hell is REAL. I have proof (note, I didn't say ELO Hell, overwatch hell)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-8A6RlsKV0

For those who don't have the patience, a silver game filled with BOTH teams consistently racing to the cart out of spawn in Overitme, leading to staggers, repeated completes, and a Tank that quite possibly is aimbotting as they charge and firestrike.. the wall and the cart repeatedly. It was 15-13 when the replay viewer finally crapped out)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 14, 2023

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

SirFozzie posted:

Overwatch Hell is REAL. I have proof (note, I didn't say ELO Hell, overwatch hell)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-8A6RlsKV0

For those who don't have the patience, a silver Rialto game filled with BOTH teams consistently racing to the cart out of spawn in Overitme, leading to staggers, repeated completes, and a Tank that quite possibly is aimbotting as they charge and firestrike.. the wall and the cart repeatedly. It was 15-13 when the replay viewer finally crapped out)

The tank and the soldier were duo'd and trying to purposely keep the lobby hostage. If you watch them closely, on attack they are constantly getting good picks on the backline. Then suddenly on defense, every time, the tank shoots the cart nonstop, and the soldier just dumps ammo into the enemy tank. They were smurfs screwing around with a low elo lobby.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
And this is before the new season launched 9 Billion "Unranked to whatever SEASON 5" runs. Or if there isn't that many, it's because I've been put with them. (more against than with, sadly)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

IronicDongz posted:

I can vouch for this. Friend of mine steadfastly refuses to get headphones in tyool 2023. Loud game-sounds every time his mic opens.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Just had the craziest game. 3:30 to play, we've been steamrolled pretty well the whole map, and it's 5 on 2 at the moment. Luckily, one of the two is me, who is Moira. Despite my teammates getting killed one by one as they return to the point, I managed to run around, across and over the cart while spamming my fade and orbs trying desperately to stay alive for roughly THIRTY seconds till the team can reseize spawn advantage. We end up winning but man, I was like "How the hell did I survive all that???"

Code: MVQ6KD - The part begins about at 7:16 of the VOD

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 16, 2023

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SirFozzie posted:

Just had the craziest game. 3:30 to play, we've been steamrolled pretty well the whole map, and it's 5 on 2 at the moment. Luckily, one of the two is me, who is Moira. Despite my teammates getting killed one by one as they return to the point, I managed to run around, across and over the cart while spamming my fade and orbs trying desperately to stay alive for roughly THIRTY seconds till the team can reseize spawn advantage. We end up winning but man, I was like "How the hell did I survive all that???"

Code: MVQ6KD - The part begins about at 7:16 of the VOD

Looks like pretty normal low rank gameplay, lot of people missing shots and some clear instances of people not knowing what their kit does. Sombra probably could have shut you down if she wasn't ignoring you, but she didn't and you took advantage of that.

You should think about your positioning more - you're often standing in front like you're trying to be a tank, which can work at low ranks where nobody can aim but you'll get deleted if you want to climb. Stay just behind your teammates so you can piss on multiple people at once, or get behind the enemy for a proper flank and split their focus. In the middle is the worst of all choices because you can't see how your teammates are doing or heal them without turning around and the opposing team can all focus you at the same time. You also tend to stare at the floor a lot but I don't know if that's a controls issue or what.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
yeah, moira's my support class (and I admit I'm not very high rank at her). working on Sigma tank. Still bronze 5 as tank, but I've gotten a lot of compliments lately.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/owcavalry/status/1669797550163894290

I'm having bouts of deja vu.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

cut them some slack, it's just a small indie developer

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23969913/

They went from "we'll fix matchmaker soon, trust us" to "the matchmaker is perfect. Our internal numbers say so. No, you can't see them." real quick.

I'd advise them to have a PR person look over these blog posts before posting them, so they don't sound so loving condescending to the players every time, but I'm suspecting that the PR people might have been sexually harassed out of the company.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The best part is that if stomps happen at the same rate regardless of matchmaker accuracy, it just means it's a bad game - that sounds worse for their PR than the matchmaker being broken.

"Everyone, all the stomps either way that you are shouting about constantly having.... We hear you. Rest assured, it is not the matchmaker. That's just how this game works."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The best part is that if stomps happen at the same rate regardless of matchmaker accuracy, it just means it's a bad game - that sounds worse for their PR than the matchmaker being broken.

"Everyone, all the stomps either way that you are shouting about constantly having.... We hear you. Rest assured, it is not the matchmaker. That's just how this game works."

They also implicitly said that stomps happen just as often in Bronze and they do at GM level. Which probably means that your MMR system is just broken, because there's no way that someone who knows how to play would be just as consistent as the very best players.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The end of that paragraph says as much, lmao

quote:

the biggest gains for perceived competitiveness in Overwatch lies in looking at our core mechanics and game modes and making adjustments here

isndl
May 2, 2012
Designing the game around counter picking was a bad idea. Too many players would rather lose than switch.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

isndl posted:

Designing the game around counter picking was a bad idea. Too many players would rather lose than switch.

TBF those character designs were always the strongest aspect of Overwatch, even if it was to the detriment of other facets like 'participating in a team.'

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

isndl posted:

hero swapping was always an insane-in-hindsight bit of game design when you take into consideration that A) people have specific aesthetic and gameplay preferences that will, in general, make them want to stick to a small stable of characters and B) getting a sufficient degree of mastery on an individual character involves dozens and dozens of hours of committed learning for it to not be more burdensome to swap than it is to stay on whoever you're playing at that moment

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nah hero swapping is great, just gotta design it better. The whole tracer vs zen matchup is a good example of hero swapping, because if zen is really good he legitimately can make tracers day really hard. But he is technically countered by her.

They should have done more of that than "oh hey they have dva, pick zarya to win".

dogstile fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 17, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Please don't kick me out of the thread but something I actually really liked from Paladins vs. OW was that your are forced to stick on one hero all game (after a pick/ban phase, IIRC). There is something so much more satisfying about "use the tools available to you; what you got is what you get" vs. the musical chairs of picking and counter picking in OW.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If they can't kick Jack Trades out for Vibe Issues nobody's going to be able to stop The Paladins Player from logging on

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Pvt. Parts posted:

Please don't kick me out of the thread but something I actually really liked from Paladins vs. OW was that your are forced to stick on one hero all game (after a pick/ban phase, IIRC). There is something so much more satisfying about "use the tools available to you; what you got is what you get" vs. the musical chairs of picking and counter picking in OW.

If you enjoy losing at champ select, sure more power to you. You can still do that in OW, picking Pharah out of the sky as Hanzo or whatever. We also have the OW version of that already if you get teamed with one trick ponies.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Pvt. Parts posted:

Paladins has a bunch of neat design choices (like the card and item system to adapt to what you're facing, and baking in anti-heal so supports can't simply heal-bot every fight) but it's a shame the engine is such trash. Overwatch has a bunch of issues but at least it doesn't crash all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

the fun thing about hero swapping being vitally important in OW2 is that new players currently have to win 175 games to be on character-parity with existing players. Which means, if matchmaking is working as intended, that have to play 350 games at a minimum to have the full roster available.

And this will only increase as new heroes are added.