Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cold on a Cob posted:

they'll pay property tax and use local services

Yeah, remote workers are probably a better deal for smaller towns than actual office buildings because people are cheaper than companies and you theoretically get the same local benefits. Pull a bunch of remote workers into your nowheresville and you can probably start attracting bars, restaurants, retail, etc.

It makes sense for places that can't afford the kinds of bribes that companies like Amazon demand. My city has tons of corporate offices and the local government has still been going pretty hard on attracting remote workers here for the last year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ardennes posted:

Modelo is also owned by Inbev, it is literally one division overtaking another division.

sounds like a pizza party at the office this Friday to me!!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
All of the remote workers I know including me are only using fewer amenities over time because things like going out to eat is outrageously expensive and then they default you to a 25% tip while the portions and quality go down.

Wife and I ate at a breakfast place last weekend where the lowest selectable tip was 22% and the default one was 26%. we aren’t going back. I know you can click Custom while the waitress stares you down but gently caress that. They are free to gaze disapprovingly while I custom select a measly 20% tip and I’m free to never go there again.

I’m a good cook and holy poo poo has that paid dividends lately…

There’s a restaurant near us that has a sign on the window that a 25% tip is rude, you cannot make this poo poo up. The sign implies you should tip 32%.

We have maintained our diet of high quality food, but only at the expense of eating out about 90% less. I honestly don’t even understand who is regularly eating out these days or otherwise utilizing all of these services. We can’t afford it and we both make figgies and have no kids. :shrug:

Is everyone just putting this poo poo on credit cards? It’s loving bewildering.

e: btw the shiitakes from Costco 12 vs 16oz thing has rocked us to our core, is nothing sacred. that was the only place to get reasonably priced shiitakes :sadwave:

Taima has issued a correction as of 15:12 on Jun 14, 2023

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Only certain towns have a chance of pulling it off. You need to have a base level of services (e.g. high speed internet) and amenities (e.g. shopping that isn't walmart) and you need to be within driving distance of a larger city with an airport.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Indiana mentioned!

goth smoking cloves posted:

There are way worse places you could end up than Noblesville IMHO

Yeah it's part of the Indianapolis sprawl, which isn't like a bastion of culture but it's a basically acceptable medium sized city and socially liberal enough for Californians.

Orvin posted:

Lake County

I used to work for the Town of Munster and during my tenure, there was a big plan to build a massive park and golf course out of the city dump. They shut down garbage disposal, covered the trash with dirt, and waited about 3 years out of the recommended 10 before building on top of it. So a couple years later the clubhouse started sinking into the garbage. It's a metaphor for America.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

text editor posted:

Wonder how long it is gonna take them to realize there isn't a goddamn thing to do here

How's that any different than living somewhere where doing things is insanely expensive?

Waaaooow I can go axe throwing and have 3 beers for $175 for a night out, I sure love living in a megasprawl.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

don’t forget escape rooms!

$45 to walk into a room and then leave it wow!

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

How's that any different than living somewhere where doing things is insanely expensive?

Waaaooow I can go axe throwing and have 3 beers for $175 for a night out, I sure love living in a megasprawl.

The thing that kills me about this is that even flyover suburbs have axe throwing and microbreweries now, you don't have to live in Austin/Denver/Seattle/Portland/NYC/LA/etc to have basic entertaining things to do or basic good places to eat

The main reason to live in these places is because you're in the top 1% of your field and can compete in those job markets at the top. If you're just frequently bored, they have trendy bars and stores that just sell board games even in places like Omaha and Des Moines

Cool people and fun entertainment are universal amenities in any place with more than 50000 residents

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

The thing that kills me about this is that even flyover suburbs have axe throwing and microbreweries now

basic entertaining things to do or basic good places to eat

Cool people and fun entertainment are universal amenities

haha oh man sorry but those things aren’t entertaining, good places to eat, or full of cool people and fun

Griz
May 21, 2001

cool av posted:

same thing happened to my partner and i was shocked that “thing not healing despite putting neosporin on it every day” didn’t intuitively lead her to “maybe stop putting neosporin on it”!

I never had any problems with neosporin before, and the inflammation looked exactly like the time it got infected before. who the gently caress expects to develop a new allergy at 40?

I thought it might have been the bandaids because the fabric ones have some horrible glue that rips all my leg hair out but the lovely ones that fall off after 6 hours didn't help, and I went to the doctor before I got around to self patch testing antibiotics.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
yes yes, that thing that was popular 7 years ago is actually lame now, the new thing that is good is dissociating while staring at a wall

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

It's not completely nuts if you're not tied to a certain location by job and family and really need the extra space.

Of course there are lots of moving parts and it's easy to end up like the chuds who move to Texas not realizing how property taxes work there.

I have known people who were completely obsessed with paying the lowest taxes possible to the exclusion of all else, one of them lived in Tennessee in some godforsaken holler and was forced to move back to PA for family stuff and he never shut the gently caress up about how low the taxes in Tennessee were and how much he misses them. Completely alien mindset imho

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you are white there are indeed a lot of cool places to live in non urban America

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yes yes, that thing that was popular 7 years ago is actually lame now, the new thing that is good is dissociating while staring at a wall

ive been ahead of the curve for years

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have known people who were completely obsessed with paying the lowest taxes possible to the exclusion of all else, one of them lived in Tennessee in some godforsaken holler and was forced to move back to PA for family stuff and he never shut the gently caress up about how low the taxes in Tennessee were and how much he misses them. Completely alien mindset imho

I knew a guy like that whose brain just completely broke when he bought a house and realized that property taxes weren't just something you paid on your car. Like totally normal dude instantly went off the deep end into chudtown.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

They call them "wall rooms" and it's $149 an hour

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Disassociating owns until you have to reassociate and remember how bad everything still sucks

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/bitcoinlfgo/status/1668809364759789568

brb loading up on coinbase stocks

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
they should just go all the way and call one of those places "Enrichment Time" and it's just an ape enclosure with a tire swing and some puzzles you can figure our for food

Apr 7, 2003

they should just go all the way and call one of those places "Enrichment Time" and it's just an ape enclosure with a tire swing and some puzzles you can figure our for food

I already spend 40 hours a week doing this

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

that sounds better

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
adn you have to be nude, like a gorilla

Apr 7, 2003

adn you have to be nude, like a gorilla

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I already spend 40 hours a week doing this

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

euphronius posted:

if you are white there are indeed a lot of cool places to live in non urban America

I live in a medium sized town in the great plains and our community is more diverse than most of the top places to live in the United States. You can gauge how good a community is for nonwhites just by looking at census data and by these metrics I would argue that Seattle and SF are pretty loving bad places to live if you're not white

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/mkt_sentiment/status/1668962222335295491

Full loving bubble. On the other hand, I could see them surviving OpenAI because they don't have the massive legal 'shoot here for massive damage' with copyright.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Jun 14, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Valuations for any company bold enough to use the words "AI" are all the proof you need that markets behave like literal children.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

has anyone tried AI Blockchain yet

e:
BlockchAIn

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I went to Costco and got 3 racks of Ribs for $32.

I made said rack of ribs yesterday, now I have a ton of ribs left over for the week.

I would say I'm doing pretty good boys. ATH's and all time delicious ribs!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nice and hot piss posted:

I went to Costco and got 3 racks of Ribs for $32.

I made said rack of ribs yesterday, now I have a ton of ribs left over for the week.

I would say I'm doing pretty good boys. ATH's and all time delicious ribs!

I should do this.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
With how expensive bbq is, you can just about buy a smoker for the cost of a single family dinner

You can get baby backs for five dollars a rack where I live, which is pretty dang cheap. I can cook four racks, charcoal and wood chunks included, for the cost of a single rack of ribs at most restaurants. They're about the easiest thing to cook in the world too. It's all about time with smoking, you just throw some wood on now and again and wait it out and you're done

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

is pepsi ok posted:

Star Citizen now has a bigger dev budget than GTA V, Cyberpunk 2077, and RDR combined.

It takes the most money to make the most game...

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Ten thousand hours of gameplay logged as a drink server on a commercial starliner

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Excuse me sir the overhead light is on please buckle your five point harness and return your table to it's void state position prior to engaging hyperdrive

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ram dass in hell posted:

ive been ahead of the curve for years

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

With how expensive bbq is, you can just about buy a smoker for the cost of a single family dinner

You can get baby backs for five dollars a rack where I live, which is pretty dang cheap. I can cook four racks, charcoal and wood chunks included, for the cost of a single rack of ribs at most restaurants. They're about the easiest thing to cook in the world too. It's all about time with smoking, you just throw some wood on now and again and wait it out and you're done

That's pretty much what I've been doing on more of my lazy days off. It reminds me of phases that people go through with crock pot cooking, where you can get a large meal that tastes pretty good with maybe ~30min to an hour of morning prep, then in 8 hours you have a meal ready.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I literally did this

burnt ends and two slices of brisket - $28
electric smoker - $three plates of burnt ends and two slices of brisket

make this make sense

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

i am harry posted:

I literally did this

burnt ends and two slices of brisket - $28
electric smoker - $three plates of burnt ends and two slices of brisket

make this make sense

-Burn Ends and two slices of Brisket - $28 from Famous Daves or whatever.

-Turning a hazardous waste barrel into a smoker and letting said chemical be the taste catalyst in your smoking career: Free

-Going to the store and rebranding the Brisket to have a "marthas Apple Pie filling" price sticker on it: $1.38

It's simple math

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
This is all rational

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
so where's the recession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Taima posted:

All of the remote workers I know including me are only using fewer amenities over time because things like going out to eat is outrageously expensive and then they default you to a 25% tip while the portions and quality go down.

Wife and I ate at a breakfast place last weekend where the lowest selectable tip was 22% and the default one was 26%. we aren’t going back. I know you can click Custom while the waitress stares you down but gently caress that. They are free to gaze disapprovingly while I custom select a measly 20% tip and I’m free to never go there again.

I’m a good cook and holy poo poo has that paid dividends lately…

There’s a restaurant near us that has a sign on the window that a 25% tip is rude, you cannot make this poo poo up. The sign implies you should tip 32%.

We have maintained our diet of high quality food, but only at the expense of eating out about 90% less. I honestly don’t even understand who is regularly eating out these days or otherwise utilizing all of these services. We can’t afford it and we both make figgies and have no kids. :shrug:

Is everyone just putting this poo poo on credit cards? It’s loving bewildering.

e: btw the shiitakes from Costco 12 vs 16oz thing has rocked us to our core, is nothing sacred. that was the only place to get reasonably priced shiitakes :sadwave:

I only just successfully got guilted into going from 20 to 25%. Like gently caress I'm going to go above 30.

Dang, who's your rib guy? I can get $2.99/lb on St. Louis Style from Costco but baby backs are harder to find and they're usually a good bit more expensive.