Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

soscannonballs posted:

Its not brain worms to want to run dungeons with the most amount of fun monsters to kill in the game about killing lots of monsters. The actual combat gameplay of the game is great and all these dungeon "fixes" are reducing the amount of time we spend doing the fun stuff.

Yeah, a lot of people just want to see a bunch of elite packs explode on the screen at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Revitalized posted:

Do bosses count as Elites as far as abilities/item affixes are concerned?

Like for example a passive ability that gives 3% dmg reduction from Elites?

whole lot of poo poo's considered elite mobs. there's a lego affix that gives you a fat barrier when you damage an elite enemy, and apparently swathes of basic rear end enemies count. stuff like generally the biggest enemy types across families like the big fat demons or succubi. Don't even need to have mods or poo poo.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The current chase of whatever dungeon happens to be the most “efficient” until they hotfix it is just insane brain worms on both sides. Players just squeezing the absolutely most out of the game chasing “efficiency” and Blizzard paralyzed by one dungeon being “better” and killing it instead of making everything else just as good.

Don't really see what is wrong on the player side wanting to do the dungeon that lets you kill the greatest number of monsters in a game that is all about killing great numbers of monsters. It is not like players are chasing efficiency by doing something really unhealthy and unintended from a gameplay perspective like running around clicking corpses in a stronghold like we did in the beta, or chest runs on Inferno in D3. Finding something rewarding and running it on repeat is what every ARPG end game boils down to.

You can perfectly balance every thing to do in the game so that no single thing is more rewarding than any other per time spent, and players will still gravitate towards one thing. The devs just repeatedly that they don't understand the genre that they are working in.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
where is my cube at

who has my cube

J
Jun 10, 2001

Remove all enemies from dungeons, instead you will gain exp for placing macguffins in pillars. All xp/hour rates will now be perfectly equalized :evilbuddy:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

DarkDobe posted:

I love that people are getting banned for the crime of *checks notes*:
Giving gold and or items to friends.

Excellent multiplayer game, blizz!

Because they can tell the difference between your friends and gold sellers which there are plenty of.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Devs posting on Twitter than the stream they are having this week will be to answer popular questions and give full details on "what seasons entail."

He also seems to be implying they are "addressing concerns" about renown and seasons. Which seems like some of it beyond the Lilith Alters is going to carry over.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Basically, Cain is the worst steward of the Horadrim ever.

- They lose their leader and most of their members trying to contain Baal.

- The rest get killed until Cain is the only one left.

- Cain is tasked with researching the Prime Evils and resurrecting the Horadrim.

- Cain spends 25 years researching without recruiting a single person.

- Finally, he recruits ONE person after 26 years and immediately dies.

- The person he picks is his niece who is possessed by Diablo - literally the single worst choice possible.

Tyrael on the other hand, has been a mortal for like 6 months and already has half a dozen new Horadrim, has found the black soulstone, has built a new Horadrim sanctuary, and taught them all soulstone sealing magic.

Malthael ends up killing all of them except two, but at least Tyrael was making progress about 1,000x faster than Cain.

Tyrael only got so much done because he got the days eating out the way already.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Floor is lava posted:

where is my cube at

who has my cube

The cube was with you the whole time. I kinda like the new legendary/aspect system even through without a proper way of storing and sorting the aspect it’s just a clunkier worse cube

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jesus, just do high tier nightmare dungeons for big packs of elites. I feel like I'm playing a different game than some of you all because I'm often wading into packs of enemies so thick I can't see my dude anymore working up through nightmare dungeons and it's extremely satisfying as a druid to poison all of them and blow them up simultaneously. They could and should make big packs appear more commonly in other dungeons but it's never going to happen in the overworld, it seems like they want you pushing dungeons to see that kind of stuff right now at least.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

TyrantWD posted:

Don't really see what is wrong on the player side wanting to do the dungeon that lets you kill the greatest number of monsters in a game that is all about killing great numbers of monsters. It is not like players are chasing efficiency by doing something really unhealthy and unintended from a gameplay perspective like running around clicking corpses in a stronghold like we did in the beta, or chest runs on Inferno in D3. Finding something rewarding and running it on repeat is what every ARPG end game boils down to.

You can perfectly balance every thing to do in the game so that no single thing is more rewarding than any other per time spent, and players will still gravitate towards one thing. The devs just repeatedly that they don't understand the genre that they are working in.

I guarantee that if people just played the game rather than try to find the perfect grind spot that everything will be okay.

This arms race is stupid. Players don't need Max efficiency all the time and Blizzard looks kinda silly playing whack a mole. It's less about the activity in question and more about the fixation.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I’m wrong and stupid and like the game

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yeah, a lot of people just want to see a bunch of elite packs explode on the screen at once.

i have been informed that that is arpg brainworms

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Floor is lava posted:

where is my cube at

who has my cube

it's you

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

i'm fairly certain this is what they have planned for seasons. you don't spend half a decade building a massive open world and then abandon it to run tiny hallways for another decade

meanwhile, in the world of warcraft,

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Finished act IV finally. Huh they really did just make a4 "ok go kill andarial k thanks bye." Oh well, she was a fun fight. First time in a while I felt almost threatened as bear.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Jesus, just do high tier nightmare dungeons for big packs of elites. I feel like I'm playing a different game than some of you all because I'm often wading into packs of enemies so thick I can't see my dude anymore working up through nightmare dungeons and it's extremely satisfying as a druid to poison all of them and blow them up simultaneously. They could and should make big packs appear more commonly in other dungeons but it's never going to happen in the overworld, it seems like they want you pushing dungeons to see that kind of stuff right now at least.

yeah mob density in most places isn't as good as the ruins of eridu but it's good enough. This reminds me of the dumb rear end loot cave in destiny

(it should still be turned up everywhere)

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

so earth smash druid is pretty sweet, but the fact that all of the good druid aspects are drop only is pretty stupid.

also the druid spirit boon mechanic is stupid, it's basically just a punishing timegate on middling bonuses.

ok thanks you can go back to complaining about mob density now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They almost have a good rotating thing going with the tree of whispers but the rewards seem pretty bad overall outside of the sigil keys you get. also let me break off a branch or something and let me claim it once I’m full from anywhere.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Shredder posted:

so earth smash druid is pretty sweet, but the fact that all of the good druid aspects are drop only is pretty stupid.

also the druid spirit boon mechanic is stupid, it's basically just a punishing timegate on middling bonuses.

ok thanks you can go back to complaining about mob density now.

:agreed:

The shockwave aspect will not drop for me, seems much rarer than any other aspect.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shredder posted:

Yeah this was a big "oh that's it?" for me too. I had enough druid balls or whatever to unlock everything in there once I went to do it, and for some of the boons it feels like there's clear winners for best in slot so it's just like some additional crit damage tied into a random side thing that you never look at again.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They almost have a good rotating thing going with the tree of whispers but the rewards seem pretty bad overall outside of the sigil keys you get. also let me break off a branch or something and let me claim it once I’m full from anywhere.

the tree of whispers quests are very fun but yeah the rewards are absolute dog poo poo. all the items from the chest are item level 650ish even though stuff dropping in the world is around item level 750-800 for me.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

here's an annoying thing about the tree

if you're on an alt and you skip the story you get a waypoint to the tree

however if you join a friends game who hasn't gotten to the tree yet, you can still get whispers but there's no way to turn them in unless you go back to your own world. even riding there the path is blocked. :mad:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I've been using the bounties to level up my alt but I pretty much ignore them on my main in WT4. If I happen to complete them doing other stuff then I'll turn 'em in but there's more lucrative activities. Seems about similar to what I remember of the d3 bounties where you can just kinda stop doing them after a while.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I like the tree stuff, but those are my only two problems with it.

Just let us claim the cache wherever.

And either add some small reward that you can stack like D3 did with the loot crafting pieces or up the gold/legendary drop rate because the bags are currently either a huge reward 5% of the time or nothing special 95% of the time. The small jackpot doesn't make it feel like it is worth spamming them.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

BurningBeard posted:

People fished for the ideal rift too. That wouldn't resolve anything. I agree rifts own though and I also want them back.

You're not the first to bring up fishing for grifts and in the context of this conversation I'm still not sure why people bring it up. It's entirely true that fishing happened, but it only happened when people were doing max push runs. For farming you just played every map given to you. And grifts only needed fishing because there were some very poorly constructed tilesets in the map pool and the problem of fishing could be fixed by removing them. It wasn't a fault of the rift system itself.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The current chase of whatever dungeon happens to be the most “efficient” until they hotfix it is just insane brain worms on both sides. Players just squeezing the absolutely most out of the game chasing “efficiency” and Blizzard paralyzed by one dungeon being “better” and killing it instead of making everything else just as good.

Sure, let’s waste our time changing 120 dungeons because of PoETarded brains. Great idea!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Update that no one wanted:

Orb triggers meteor pretty regularly, especially with the double pulse aspect. Don't have lucky hit on gauntlet (using frostburn which I think I will change) and keeping the pentinent greaves for the chill.

So I have 5 in shards, 1 in orb, five in blizz and meteor and lucky hit passives with avalanche. Maybe with some better mana reduction rolls I could get rid of avalanche for shatter and with temerity could drop protection but overall seems a decent build. Nm30 dungeons at 70 with no paragon from renown or w.e is smooth and easy, bosses which I was hesitant about drop so insanely fast to their broken stage.

Bar is teleport mana shield Frost Nova flame shield with orb and blizz on my actives. Toss up here now between the long blizz or the mana cost reduction and what orb to use (I think ultimately the best will be long blizz and vuln orb but we will see).

Closest to a successful orb build I've had yet, but it's really leaning on the ice shards enchant and blizzard ice spikes, really just fishing for proc with the orb.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

explosivo posted:

You can tell these cowards never step foot in the pvp zones either which is the highest density elite and mob packs in the game. Awww, scared to lose your ears?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Maybe this is just for sorc, but is it the case that a majority of glyphs have no benefit to leveling above 15?

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Meanwhile,

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Devs posting on Twitter than the stream they are having this week will be to answer popular questions and give full details on "what seasons entail."

He also seems to be implying they are "addressing concerns" about renown and seasons. Which seems like some of it beyond the Lilith Alters is going to carry over.

I'd gladly do 300 altars over grinding out side quests for reknown. Just get rid of reknown and attach each of the rewards that apply to all characters to a dungeon, or scrap them entirely and balance things around players not having the extra skill and paragon points.

BurningBeard posted:

I guarantee that if people just played the game rather than try to find the perfect grind spot that everything will be okay.

This arms race is stupid. Players don't need Max efficiency all the time and Blizzard looks kinda silly playing whack a mole. It's less about the activity in question and more about the fixation.

Players will always look for the max efficiency thing in a game where killing more things = more power - the vast majority of players are probably doing whatever they envision to the be the most efficient thing that they find fun. Ruins of Eridu is no longer the max efficiency dungeon, so people will switch to the next one down. Also the game in general has a big problem with low density, so if Blizzard are just going to keep chopping down which ever place rises to the top, in a year this game is going to look like Shadow of the Colossus where you ride around big empty zones hunting down a single mob to kill. Not to mention killing more monsters in a smaller space is more fun in an ARPG. Grabbing multiple packs and elites and then burning them down is awesome. If they equalized total XP out of all the dungeons, I'd still run the one with the most density. If anything, I'd like to see Blizzard double the amount of monsters in each dungeon and cut the xp they grant.

Mystery Chests are a similar thing where they are the most efficient use of your currency in helltides. Why do so many players try to do them instead of just taking whatever is nearest?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

If you're a nerd like me and want to know more about resistances, this is a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASeGuMF6AK4

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

That Little Demon posted:

You can tell these cowards never step foot in the pvp zones either which is the highest density elite and mob packs in the game. Awww, scared to lose your ears?

This is the post that should be in the OP because it exceeds truth. If you want to obliterate a screen full of bullshit every 5 steps, go here.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Floor is lava posted:

You sure about that?

Yeah I’m playing it right now, and have been without issue for a week and a half.

Nice screenshot though.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

American McGay posted:

Yeah I’m playing it right now, and have been without issue for a week and a half.

Nice screenshot though.

no you dont understand !! the servers crashed at 4AM for 10 minutes this launch is an abject failure !!!!!

Grinspork
Jun 20, 2004

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED
maybe, just maybe, they should tie in the paragon point and skill point rewards to the campaign everyone is forced to go through

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Grinspork posted:

maybe, just maybe, they should tie in the paragon point and skill point rewards to the campaign everyone is forced to go through

you can skip the campaign

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Givin posted:

This is the post that should be in the OP because it exceeds truth. If you want to obliterate a screen full of bullshit every 5 steps, go here.

I haven't bothered trying pvp yet, is it full of sweaty rogues just waiting for people to extract shards or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Shredder posted:

I haven't bothered trying pvp yet, is it full of sweaty rogues just waiting for people to extract shards or whatever?

I was on a 32 kill streak last night as a necro