Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

pog boyfriend posted:

my thoughts on AI art are pretty simple -- namely, bitch i look like goku. bitch i look like vegeta im hopping out that old school

He was so real for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
It's oppressive when people are good at things I'm not.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

I heard a friend says it democratizes art but it's like...... pencils are $2......?

Stuff like this genuinely comes from a place of like, deep resentment that people go "wow, that's cool" to artists and they want a piece of that pie without actually putting in any effort to learn how to draw.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
tech that allows me to put my ideas out to the world in a visual way is cool

using it as an excuse to no longer pay creatives is uncool

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
AI democratizes artistic talent, not art itself, by putting it all into a lovely blender

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maybe this is a case of just tech guys not recognizing art, but it's painfully obvious what images each ai model was trained on for their various keywords. So ai art always just looks like an extremely mediocre product of whatever website its training was stolen from. You have the mediocre artstation, the mediocre deviantart, the mediocre wikimedia, etc but then an ai evangelist will claim you can't tell the difference. Which just seems really sad for their ability to process and enjoy art.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Maybe this is a case of just tech guys not recognizing art, but it's painfully obvious what images each ai model was trained on for their various keywords. So ai art always just looks like an extremely mediocre product of whatever website its training was stolen from. You have the mediocre artstation, the mediocre deviantart, the mediocre wikimedia, etc but then an ai evangelist will claim you can't tell the difference. Which just seems really sad for their ability to process and enjoy art.

They desperately need it to be indistinguishable since they think it'll land them a sweet 6 figgy job at a marketing firm or w/e making AI art for mcdonalds

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Computer, generate a picture of me as a gigachad using AI to create beautiful art, alongside a picture of a crying red-faced soyjak struggling to draw a stick figure with a paintbrush.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Which of course the big irony is. If a big business is cutting costs by firing artists to replace with AI, why would they hire someone to be a 'prompt engineer' instead of just forcing one of their existing employees (at no pay raise) to do it instead lol.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Tenkaris posted:

That Photoshop tool looks like amazing fun. But I will never pay Adobe :hai:

I was going to complain about AI chat but instead I'll complain about Adobe. gently caress that poo poo

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

It legit takes practice to develop your eye for good art. I think that's why the AI art threads end up having people posting dozens of mediocre images at once - those posters really can't tell what's good and what's not so they just post it all.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What if they made a computer write the prompts :twisted:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

aw frig aw dang it posted:

It legit takes practice to develop your eye for good art. I think that's why the AI art threads end up having people posting dozens of mediocre images at once - those posters really can't tell what's good and what's not so they just post it all.

Yet another W for humanities allowing me to take art history and straight up drawing classes for progress towards my degree

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The real danger isn't tech guys recognizing art (though that sucks), it's middle managers and above not giving a poo poo about art. Why pay a team of graphic designers to create compelling imagery for your site/service/product when that can't be directly translated into direct results that earn you a raise when canning them all will create savings that earn you that raise?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I swear to God if this thread becomes a dumping ground for AI arguments I will blow it up with a pipe bomb, in minecraft.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fajita Queen posted:

I swear to God if this thread becomes a dumping ground for AI arguments I will blow it up with a pipe bomb, in minecraft.

Welcome back Turtlicious

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

turt

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Fajita Queen posted:

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
This reminds me of one of my childhood friends railing against things like EDM and The Prodigy because those guys didn't develop callouses on their fingers playing stringed instruments. Also something to do with sampling and remixing other peoples work.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Valko posted:

This reminds me of one of my childhood friends railing against things like EDM and The Prodigy because those guys didn't develop callouses on their fingers playing stringed instruments. Also something to do with sampling and remixing other peoples work.

You’re a kinda dim lil’ guy aren’t you

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Endorph posted:

tbh i think its simpler than this and theyre just computer programmers who feel slighted that people see value in a skillset they dont have, so they want to be able to program their way into being an artist

nah, you can program your way into being an artist by learning how to write shaders and other computer graphics stuff. aibros don't even want to do that

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
AI art loving sucks right now because it's all advertisements for the technology made by techbros. Maybe things would be different if it was actually used like a tool to realize a creative person's vision (like people claim it could be), but tbh I'm already doubtful that's ever going to happen.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Valko posted:

I don't think it's like that at all, Valko.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

COMPUTER

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Fajita Queen posted:

E:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The pro ai people are really upset that other people "belittle" the effort it takes to put words in a box lol
i saw a twitter lady who does nothing but ai generate princess peach smoking write a giant screed about how it was the only thing getting her through depression

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
in spanish it's la computadora- a feminine word which means its for women.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
ai ds

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Endorph posted:

i saw a twitter lady who does nothing but ai generate princess peach smoking write a giant screed about how it was the only thing getting her through depression

Bride of Rubitex

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F1Q6yETpfk

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think it's like that at all, Valko.

This is maybe the 3rd or 4th time you've qouted my post and ended it with my username, Ibram Gaunt. Why do you keep doing that, Ibram Gaunt? It's not like anyone else wrote my post, Ibram Gaunt.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Valko posted:

I'm not convinced you aren't just making chat gpt write your dumb rear end posts

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm not convinced you aren't just making chat gpt write your dumb rear end posts

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Valko posted:

This is maybe the 3rd or 4th time you've qouted my post and ended it with my username, Ibram Gaunt. Why do you keep doing that, Ibram Gaunt? It's not like anyone else wrote my post, Ibram Gaunt.

I find it amusing.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Valko posted:

its crazy that the prodigy made firestarter by typing in "crazy guy fire song" into a markov chain

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Valko posted:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Valko posted:

It's respectful to refer to someone by their name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Endorph posted:

To be fair bossing around a robot and making it draw Princess Peach smoking weed does sound fun. Not the future of art or art therapy but it does sound fun to do and could cure my depression for like 10 minutes and maybe 15 more if it made a really funny one