Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Carbohydrates posted:

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/series-2/main.page

BDP Series 2, time to judge things! I don't have a dog in this fight since I opted not to resubmit my build, so I can be a bit more objective when I don't view anything as competition, lol.

curious why too many pieces is a bad thing. i like pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

big piece count means big price

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Sunk Dunk posted:

curious why too many pieces is a bad thing. i like pieces
Because of the price points these will end up at. MOC designers are frequently bad at showing restraint and efficient parts usage, so you end up with something like a modular building that costs $300+ pretty easily. Folks complain about the price points of BDP sets, but... they're the ones voting for stuff with 3,500 pieces or whatever.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I want that mushroom house

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Ah I see, makes sense, thanks

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Carbohydrates posted:

- Aircraft Engines. Looks really satisfying to play with on my desk. Love that it's Technic and inexpensive, both of those being rare among these entries.

HootTheOwl posted:

This is strong Visible V8 Engergy and I love it.

Man, Technic desktop fidgets is a VASTLY underrepresented category imo

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

mushroom house?

Captain Duvel posted:

I want that mushroom house

mushroom house

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

gimmie dat mush

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Gonna get sued by the smurfs for IP theft

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Carbohydrates posted:

- Hardware Store and Apartment Renovation. Okay, gently caress off. It's a modular and it's too many pieces and it's full of stickers and I usually dislike all that stuff but goddamn it, this is SO GOOD. The thematic elements are so on-point, it's brilliant. A hosed up apartment being sold by a realtor over a hardware store with all the stuff to fix it, that's genius. I love the stupid hosed up apartment. I love the lemonade stand. I love all the signage. I love all the micro builds. The story and sense of humor are doing a lot of heavy lifting here but it works. This is my single favorite design.

Hardware store interior is great but it's way too clean. If they really wanted to capture the feeling of that hardware store they should have used a mix of different yellow floor tiles instead of white, with a couple of them randomly missing.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Sexual Lorax posted:

mushroom house?

mushroom house

Does it come with badgers and a snake?

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Duvel posted:

This

treetheheavy
Mar 28, 2005

Futanari Damacy posted:

Who here ended up getting Ninjago City Markets? I haven't picked it up and not sure if I'm going to. It's more spread out than I would have liked, I would have preferred it have the same footprint as NC Docks and be a little more vertical. Too much empty space for my liking. Definitely fits in well with the others but it's missing the "gotta have it" factor, idk

I bought it and have started assembly. At least through the first manual you only work on a single baseplate.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Captain Duvel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7uiFLvJtNs

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

treetheheavy posted:

I bought it and have started assembly. At least through the first manual you only work on a single baseplate.

I'm on bag ~45 of 51. You join the two plates together about halfway though book 2, when you assemble the gondola track. The buildings on level 3 span the plates.

The assembly that joins the plates together is technic based and rock solid, you can pick the entire thing up without any flex at the baseplate join.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nice. Finally arrived today. Will probably start tonight.

I wish I had space to rebuild the other 3 and all the modulars. Would be cool to have a big ole city.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I would love to display them horizontally and connected, currently all are displayed vertically in a Detolf. NC Gardens on the bottom, second shelf holds NC Classic, then NC Docks is perched on top of the unit (first and third shelves are removed to accommodate the sets’ height). Not elegant but it gets the job done... until it’s time to add set #4.
:negative:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I started on the Markets tonight and they are a bit different. No extra bags. So bag 1 is bag 1. No multiple bag 1s and so on. The really odd thing was the first step is bags 1 and 2. Never seen combined bag #s. I guess they did this to make things more simple. No getting started and being confused by there being multiple bags with the same number.

Good stuff.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Just have two bags left to finish up the top level, but just ran into something I don't like. The flushing toilet play feature, for me anyways, is impossible to reload without using tweezers.

And I just had my first missing piece I think ever. Bags 48/49 were missing a 1x6 yellow/orange brick (6186542) and had an extra flag/flap piece instead (6337613). Already ordered the replacement, and it's in a spot where it'll be easy to put in without having to disassemble a bunch of stuff.

That said, it's been a really fun set to put together. Continues the theme of "I would have never thought of that" black part choices for roofs and overhangs on the buildings, which I really, really enjoy. It's also, with the exception of the very top level above the barcade, entirely wheelchair accessible. There's a ramp from the bottom level to the lower gondola area, an elevator down from the upper gondola area to the upper levels, and another elevator from the medical office to the doctor's office above it.

I've also been having a *ton* of anxiety issues lately, and for probably the first time ever I didn't feel the need to speed build the thing in 2-3 building sessions. It came last Tuesday, and I've just been doing a few bags here and there when I start feeling an anxiety attack coming on, taking it slow with a podcast or TV show on in the background. Best therapy there is.

It also looks *fantastic* with all of them displayed side by side by side by side, and I quite like that the news shop in Docks has an access route instead of just hanging there in space.

e: thanks for the heads up on the name and picture

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 14, 2023

treetheheavy
Mar 28, 2005

That seemed odd to me as well.

I think I'm going to take the docks down and go with Ninjago City - Markets - Gardens. Docks was a fine enough set, but I think the most interesting side of it gets hidden when you show the most interesting side of ninjago city. Markets seems like it might be a better connection between city and garden too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How does it look without the small shrine section of Gardens?

I swear I've seen a moc/mod where someone flipped the Docks but I can't find it now

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is that your real name in the frame? You might want to crop that out
And on the top shelf you have a photo of your lovely family.

E: Also we made the same brick separator tree.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Eldorado Fortress officially announced.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
that looks like a nice companion set to pirates of barracuda bay

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I like that they captured the vibe of that old mountain w/ ramp baseplate but it looks all brick-built.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sunk Dunk posted:

that looks like a nice companion set to pirates of barracuda bay

Comes out in less than a month. I sold my OG El Dorado because it was a pretty boring set. At least I think i sold it. I think I sold that and kept the Imperial one that has the boat and has the dock and is wider. But this looks sweet.

I wonder if we are going to get a BSB mk 3?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The modularity makes me feel a bit better about all those pieces going into the base.

That ship is loving ugly though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The modularity makes me feel a bit better about all those pieces going into the base.

It doesn't fit the set. Drop the boat and make the set $50 cheaper.

Or put more detail/size into the set. Maybe extend the dock or something.

But the press release hints that there are more pirates sets coming. So just build a nice ship/galleon.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How does it look without the small shrine section of Gardens?

I swear I've seen a moc/mod where someone flipped the Docks but I can't find it now

Have to take the two balconys off the side of Gardens to get it to join up, and I really like the way the shrine breaks up the space, but I can definitely see why some folks like it without the shrine.

To be honest, the entire line, other than the back side of the original City, would look better as a coffee table display where you can see it 360 vs sitting it on a shelf where you can only see the front.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 14, 2023

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Oxyclean posted:

I like that they captured the vibe of that old mountain w/ ramp baseplate but it looks all brick-built.

It is, that’s why the new one has 2k more pieces but doesn’t look that much bigger

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CommanderApaul posted:

Have to take the two balconys off the side of Gardens to get it to join up, and I really like the way the shrine breaks up the space, but I can definitely see why some folks like it without the shrine.

Oh I like that, thanks.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The ship is similar to the one that comes with Imperial Trading Post; I guess they were trying to evoke both sets, in a way.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That grasping monkey paw is upsetting me

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dogen posted:

That grasping monkey paw is upsetting me

Make a wish and it will close right up

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

Make a wish and it will close right up

that's good!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

that's good!

your wish will come with an ironic twist

"that's bad!"

but you'll also get a free GWP!

"that's good!"

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
bring back the simpsons sets

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Apparently there's another old-school GWP coming soon?

Futanari Damacy posted:

The ship is similar to the one that comes with Imperial Trading Post; I guess they were trying to evoke both sets, in a way.
I don't think they were as successful in updating it as they were the other elements. Also while it's been a long time since I did much sailing that sail plan looks bizarre. Is that a second gaff mainsail behind the square-rigged one? Is one meant to be a topsail? Both??? Is it a Bermuda sloop with the dimensions all wrong (it's probably this)? On the one hand I'm definitely overthinking it, on the other hand it just looks weird.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 14, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You're right. It does look weird. Also, with modern techniques they should be able to do a better job securing the sails. But that front one is obviously going to slide down and crumple over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
why don't they make the sails out of bricks???????