Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
I've been struggling with the final level of Boltgun until I watched Civvie's video and realized that the quick movement and sword dashes trapped me into playing it like the new Dooms. This game does not actually reward that playstyle but it definitely makes you believe it does. After starting to play more carefully, it took two more deaths to get the Sorcerer (and one of them was that loving Lord of Change and its Archvile damage, which is one of the worst things about this game).

Definitely a solid one, has some issues but the heavy bolter alone makes up for them. Nails the Space Marine feeling all right, for me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I played Boltgun basically like a normal good ol' shooter, barely using the sword sprint a few times. I don't think I ever used the charge...
You move at a quick pace with the sprint, so you don't need a lot more.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Charge is good against the lowest tiers of enemies because it does impact damage. You can get 2 or 3 nurglings out of your way instantly, or 1 or 2 cultists. Anything else you'll just shove them back a little

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's fun to push enemies off platforms with it. Of course, there's no guarantee you won't follow them.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Turok 2 had the cerebral bore, but it also had the goofiest reading of the line “I… am Turok!” out of the series, so it’s a wash imo

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

But those are both good things

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All it took was a 250 dollar gpu but I've actually got boltgun running well and I'm enjoying it a lot more. I liked it before but man it was choppy but it's actually loving solid. There's a bunch of quibbles but the only unforgiveable I got at current is the goddamn red tint on purges sucks poo poo and needs to go away. Also, I hate teleporters

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
these goddamn lesser plague toads!!!! gently caress em!!!!!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I now hate frogs and toads irl and im gonna have to subtract so many points for that too, thanks for the reminder

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Up to deck 6 in the System Shock remake and it kicks rear end. Combat 3 is still really hard, you seem to die a lot faster than in the original, but I'm gradually getting the hang of it (and remembering to turn on my shield more). Cortex Reavers have gotten a serious upgrade and I had to fight very dirty indeed to take out the first one.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
In a weird little attention to detail that I'm not sure will be particularly useful, it turns out that EMPs can temporarily disable (~10 seconds?) doors in the System Shock remake.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
just played myhouse.wad because of the hype and had an incredible time, but the moments of fun doom shooting reminded me that I loved chex quest as a kid but never was able to actually play doom due to religious paranoia from my surroundings. now I'm in my 30s and able to play doom. What wads should I play after doom? I have no idea what is out there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Impermanent posted:

just played myhouse.wad because of the hype and had an incredible time, but the moments of fun doom shooting reminded me that I loved chex quest as a kid but never was able to actually play doom due to religious paranoia from my surroundings. now I'm in my 30s and able to play doom. What wads should I play after doom? I have no idea what is out there.

Doom II

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Aliens total conversion
http://www.doomwadstation.net/main/aliens.html

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Weird question but does health/armor above a certain point not carry over between levels in boltgun? I had 200/250 or 250/200 and the next level I notice I'm at 150/100. Kinda weak

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Impermanent posted:

Back to Saturn X

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Weird question but does health/armor above a certain point not carry over between levels in boltgun? I had 200/250 or 250/200 and the next level I notice I'm at 150/100. Kinda weak

Correct. You get reset to a certain starting health and iirc ammo each stage.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Impermanent posted:

did you try the classic "but mom/dad, you're KILLING demons in the game" approach?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The S-Blade has a patchblood charge. Sitting eagerly on my hands waiting for the Game Pass patch!
https://twitter.com/Zane_Rocks_36/status/1668609782935339009

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Barudak posted:

Correct. You get reset to a certain starting health and iirc ammo each stage.

I don't like that at all! My practice of saving up every good item and restocking before the next level is wasted

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't like that at all! My practice of saving up every good item and restocking before the next level is wasted

Yes. Free yourself from the post level item hunt

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

Yes. Free yourself from the post level item hunt

Wrong.

Honestly, perhaps one of the things *I like the most in gaming* is to be rewarded, feeling I gained some advantage, by playing smarter than others (or, you know, having the illusion of playing smarter, lol, maybe in reality I'm average), by being efficient with the resources given, or exploring more, or whatever other thing you can do. That's the cool thing in checking behind the usual waterfall or below the staircase gap. Or selecting the correct weapon for each enemy encounter. Or taking in account what ammo is nearby and what are your current limits. Or exploring that seemingly empty dead end before entering the main gate of that castle or dungeon. Or thinking what upgrade is the best for you. Or what is the most efficient loop/path to conquer flags in Battlefield (I was a top 1% player in BF3/4 because of that lol).

It's why It's what many devs don't get, and instead they only reward pure mechanical skill (reflexes / aiming).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Impermanent posted:

Check out this thread (which I should post in more...) which is basically a book club for Wads : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894926&pagenumber=1

There's also the Cacowards, which have been running yearly since 2004, the finalists and honourable mentions represent the best of the last 18 years of Doom : https://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/

Also make sure you play Final Doom

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

ToxicFrog posted:

Up to deck 6 in the System Shock remake and it kicks rear end. Combat 3 is still really hard, you seem to die a lot faster than in the original, but I'm gradually getting the hang of it (and remembering to turn on my shield more). Cortex Reavers have gotten a serious upgrade and I had to fight very dirty indeed to take out the first one.

The hacker is a dirty self serving amoral ghoul and should absolutely fight like one :clint:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Impermanent posted:

i didnt get into doom wads till fairly late and here are some i like:

sunlust (this one is hard)
alien vendetta (older now and quite hard in places, but neat to see some really intricate maps)
back to saturn x (probably the best one)
the brotherhood of ruin (aztec temple themed wad, also a bit older, but works well with gzdoom mods that let you play as like more medieval type characters)
Doom 2 The Way ID Did (basically more good doom)
Going Down (super imaginative and crazy megawad)
Jenesis (kind of a vanilla doom 2+ in terms of aesthetics and level design)
Strange Aeons (lovecraftian doom, has its own unique weapons and monsters to a limited degree but can still be played with mods. i like it with high noon drifter.)
Memento Mori (very old megawad)
Scythe (another old megawad)

theres a lot more i like but these tend to be my 'go to' if i want a level set to try out some new mod

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Big GOG sale at the moment, good time to pick up Star Trek: Elite Force 1-2, Soldier of Fortune 1-2 (not Payback, and tbf the second one isn't great either), Ultima Underworld 1-2, Clive Barker's Undying as they aren't sold digitally anywhere else

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ToxicFrog posted:

It's really goddamn good. I'm mostly through medical but I really hope it's successful enough they can do 2.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Big thumbs up from me for Soldier of Fortune 1 and Undying.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Get Undying!

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i didnt get into doom wads till fairly late and here are some i like:

Ancient Aliens is worth throwing into that list.

i'm having a good time lately w a Doom II playthrough and Lithium, a detailed and spectacular cy-fi rpg mod. it's been my wind-down brain-off game after getting lost in System Shock.

it ... kinda reminds me of WGR2 Siegebreaker in some ways. i still need to beat Siegebreaker.

also i feel like i played a different Zortch from y'all. someone mentioned "unreal 1!" and that got me mildly interested. i missed the Turoks and n64 scene and this seems to be a love letter to those in a way, so maybe i'm not the audience. anachronistic enemy behavior and cube stacking physics. weapons are mostly good. big stages. i dunno, hard to gripe at $5, i just didn't find the fun. made me think of Ion Fury and its keg of untapped potential.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Undying is so criminally underrated. I remember getting it in a dual-jewel for $10 at Walmart back in the day (with American McGee's Alice) and was shocked at how much of a banger it was, having never heard of it whatsoever.

Wish I had the time and patience for another proper playthrough, the atmosphere is killer.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shame that is lost into EA's chamber because a slightly remastered version would own. FoV, widescreen and UI fixes out of the box and I'd get it again.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/monster_urby/status/1669008794070790150

Just tested this. It's real. I'm crackin' up.

At this point I just want a spiritual successor to Undying. First person supernatural action horror adventure with guns in one hand and magic in the other. The closest comparison would be Bioshock I suppose but Undying is more akin to Half-Life than a 451.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
An Undying remake on par with the System Shock 1 remake that just came out

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Impermanent posted:

okuplok

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lmao how did this take 25 years to discover

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://twitter.com/monster_urby/status/1669008794070790150

Just tested this. It's real. I'm crackin' up.

At this point I just want a spiritual successor to Undying. First person supernatural action horror adventure with guns in one hand and magic in the other. The closest comparison would be Bioshock I suppose but Undying is more akin to Half-Life than a 451.

Jesus christ

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Guillermus posted:

Shame that is lost into EA's chamber because a slightly remastered version would own. FoV, widescreen and UI fixes out of the box and I'd get it again.

This Undying Renewal mod seems promising but i haven't tried it yet

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

haveblue posted:

Lmao how did this take 25 years to discover

Seriously. I get why someone would design it like that, but how has this never been discovered by opening the levels in Hammer?*

*Note: I not very familiar with Hammer and by the time I got interested in design, we already had Trenchbroom. So I never had to encounter Valve's hidden box of horrors and fatal errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I can't wait for the ROTT Ludicrous Edition. The demo comes out on my birthday :toot: