Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Work gave us a 3% flat raise which translates to $.45. Then announced all raises going forward will be based upon "performance and attendance". Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Not a Children posted:

I cannot get parsley, basil, rosemary, or thyme without spending $1.99 on a lovely plastic clamshell of half-rotted product at my local grocery

It's fuckin criminal

you need to move somewhere with less white people

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

GDP "growth" is a result of inflation. GDP measures the flow of money from one hand to another. Inflation means that more money is going from workers to employers due to price increases.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

The vast majority of listings near me are $300k+ new developments or nicely kept older homes for well over that. There are a massive amount of affordable houses that have been reno flipped for +100k above affordability. Investors keep sweeping the good deals out from under people to resell in 6 months.

Starter homes no longer exist.

anonumos has issued a correction as of 17:02 on Jun 14, 2023

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Mr Hootington posted:

Work gave us a 3% flat raise which translates to $.45. Then announced all raises going forward will be based upon "performance and attendance". Lmao

how much money did they make last year?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

how much money did they make last year?

Idk

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I too can afford to go out to eat every week but it causes me so much stress and guilt that I'm gonna probably cut it in half at least. 1 drink and an entree each for me and the wife plus tip is like $70-$100. At the very least I'll cut out the beer.

Maybe if I were never poor it wouldn't be a problem. But it's like one of the only things we enjoy doing outside of the house. That's part of the problem too I suppose.
same. we have a lot of pretty good Thai/Indian/Korean/tacos/etc places but basically for 2 people is $60-80 and that’s often without alcohol.

Ethiopian here is prob the best deal in that a vegan sampler platter is like $17 and enough food for 2 people with sufficient injera but otherwise eh

also quality, QA, and portions seem to be all hosed up at even local places

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I went to a ramen place for lunch when I had jury duty a few weeks ago. It was almost $20 after tip and I was the only one there so I could hear them putting it in the microwave.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

What the gently caress is attendance.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/gamedevdotcom/status/1669013074253344769

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

Probably how often you show up at the office?

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

sorry, what do you mean by "none of it is growing the economy, it's just seeking rent"? if the size of the economy is measured by GDP, and these activities are contributing to GDP, then are they not, by definition, growing the economy?

or by "growing the economy" do you mean "improving the standards of living for normal people"? if so i agree

read wealth of nations if you don't understand this

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Chad Sexington posted:

I went to a ramen place for lunch when I had jury duty a few weeks ago. It was almost $20 after tip and I was the only one there so I could hear them putting it in the microwave.

Where do you live? I don't think any ramen place where I live could get away with having a microwave.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

Unexcused Absences from the factory.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I wonder if taking all your PTO like some kind of dirty hippie negatively affects your attendance score.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

read wealth of nations if you don't understand this

i thought this thread hated economics

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Go back to tipping 15%

Feels bad but it shouldn't be consumers responsibility to subsidize serving wages to this degree, doubling down (literally!) on our insane tipping culture isn't necessary and if this model is truly unsustainable it's just life support.

It sucks but I’ve basically been doing this, I will only tip 20% if it’s exceptional service which it rarely is. I’m tired of tipping, it needs to go away. I’m also tired of the extra fees restaurants are including on the bill in regards to poo poo the city council has passed or whatever “inflation” bullshit they’re trying to pass on to customers.

Just increase your menu items a few dollars across the board and shut the gently caress up. Or better yet, the owners can take a pay cut for all I care.

We have cut way back on eating out, I’m done with it. I went out for lunch two weeks ago and the restaurant auto-charged gratuity for 2 people at 18%! This was only standard with large parties typically. Good thing I checked the bill because we were about to add tip.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Nodelphi posted:

AI’s going to happily comply with any directive given to it

otoh so do most doctors, and my experience has been if you don't advocate for yourself you basically get sub-chatGPT levels of care in the first place, ymmv

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

sorry, what do you mean by "none of it is growing the economy, it's just seeking rent"? if the size of the economy is measured by GDP, and these activities are contributing to GDP, then are they not, by definition, growing the economy?

or by "growing the economy" do you mean "improving the standards of living for normal people"? if so i agree

Number go up

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

Where do you live? I don't think any ramen place where I live could get away with having a microwave.

It was in Rockville, Maryland, which otherwise has a robust Asian food scene. This was just some place like a block from the courthouse so I guess they can afford to be garbage.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

exactly. in the end that's all that matters. rising tide floats all boats :) :)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Middle America has lots of restaurants that are supposedly good and "a gem" of the place you're visiting, and will have super amazing 4.5 star yelp averages but if you look into the reviews it's literally always the same thing:

-90% of people with names like James and Tim saying it's the best thai food they've ever had
- 10% people from cities with established ethnic populations who are like "this was trash? I am confused"

It's such a funny dynamic. I totally get it, like, no one is expecting these places to be amazing. It's just amusing how this exact scenario plays out everywhere in the exact same way.

Taima has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Jun 14, 2023

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

Xaris posted:

same. we have a lot of pretty good Thai/Indian/Korean/tacos/etc places but basically for 2 people is $60-80 and that’s often without alcohol.

Ethiopian here is prob the best deal in that a vegan sampler platter is like $17 and enough food for 2 people with sufficient injera but otherwise eh

also quality, QA, and portions seem to be all hosed up at even local places

Really adds insult to injera.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

after a certain point i realized most restaurant food was pretty good and the only real point of going out to eat was to hang out, but you can also get that cooking at home for some friends. it's not like there's really all that much you can do with a hamburger to make it worth 25 dollars

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Turtle Sandbox posted:

If you have time you can get bomb rear end ribs out the oven, won't be smoked but still fall of the bone tender with a crispy outside.

Bone in ribs have also been weirdly cheap over the last year and change so it's been nice.

you can pressure cook them in sauce too and they come tender as hell in a half hour

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

exactly. in the end that's all that matters. rising tide floats all boats :) :)

what does it do to people who can't afford a boat?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

my favorite local place at the moment is a strip mall chinese takeout place where you can get a full to-go box, two entrees with rice or noodles and a side, for 8 dollars. eight US dollars! the food is incredibly mid but you can't beat that kind of value

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

what people? you mean the poors? those aren't people

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
We used to have a place like that pretty close, now it's like $30 for extremely okay food for two.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
what's the going chicken rice with double white sauce eh boss? rate these days

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
All these etiquette and SEO sites write about tipping 20% but most people don't tip. I remember an Uber driver going through the receipts from 2019(?) and most passengers don't tip, but the tips made the majority of his profits. When I worked in a cafe kitchen, maybe half of customers tipped. The cafe didn't have waiters; you ordered at the counter and we brought your order to your table.

The job where the majority of customers tip is waiters at sit down restaurants. It's a lovely thing to normalize paying service workers worse wages.

The only real plus side is if the tips are cash, then it helps you claim that earned income tax credit.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

the bitcoin of weed posted:

after a certain point i realized most restaurant food was pretty good and the only real point of going out to eat was to hang out, but you can also get that cooking at home for some friends. it's not like there's really all that much you can do with a hamburger to make it worth 25 dollars

It’s not the hamburger so much as the French fries, the rare times I eat out it’s to get fried food because I’m not dealing with that at home

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
learning that the secret to why people say “but restaurant food tastes better!” is they’re usually adding several sticks of butter and salt to entrees that would make a home cook squirm in terror. if you just add 2 whole sticks of butter to everything you make at home, you pretty much end up with take-out quality

lotta good spices helps too but not always required. I’ve been roasting whole spices and mortar n pestling them instead of pre ground spices which kicks rear end and adds a lot of good flavor without the fat

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

My local grocery store used to have bagels at 3 for 1$, now it's 2 for 1$. Im crack pinging real hard here.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

is pepsi ok posted:

let them eat life jackets

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
that life jacket cost a lot of money, I'm not gonna just throw it overboard

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

also another thing about the "coastal elites moving to rural america" meme is there were a big chunk of people who moved to a big coastal liberal city and absolutely hated it, but the money was good. now its not so good and if you can get a remote job, of course you'd move to the place you'd prefer with low costs.

so there's more than enough of those folks to fill out these media pieces.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i make way better handcut fries at home in a quarter inch of vegetable oil in a frying pan than any deep frier could dream of

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Paradoxish posted:

We used to have a place like that pretty close, now it's like $30 for extremely okay food for two.

I wanted to try this taco truck in a gas station parking lot near my house, it was $26 for a plate of pollo en mole. From a taco truck at a gas station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Unexcused Absences from the factory.

I would love to work at a place that was like "Yeah you didn't show up for work for two months last year so we're only giving you a 1% raise".