Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThalidomEid
May 10, 2007
forum name = gamertag

Fearless posted:

That's more (as in, almost twice as much) than a senior scientist with a PhD working for the provincial government makes (who will also have to do enormous amounts of work off the clock because there is no OT for them).

Sounds like those science geeks spent too much time in the lab and not enough time in the gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
e: holy poo poo, way wrong thread

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 11, 2023

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

CFLRS update: got sent to TRP a while ago and then had a mental breakdown when my original platoon hit grad and got some leave from it.

it's good times, like holy poo poo it's worthwhile but it SUCKS. Probably gonna grad in november at this point unless these issues release me.

Met the best people I ever have though, staff and candidates. Noticed for sure that NCMs are realer folk I'd trust my life with while Officers (candidates) often have dumb holier than thou attitudes and a fixation on personal success over group success. Which loving sucks, I was briefly in a platoon full of that kind of thinking.

also lol @ not having any idea what Gagetown is or how hard it would be when I signed up, oh how naive I was.

My favourite story so far is about duty staff standing by the garbage disposal when a top-down search is announced, and then like clockwork the contraband snacks start flowing down like a waterfall while everyone upstairs is scrambling to avoid getting caught.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 11, 2023

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

SRQ posted:

Met the best people I ever have though, staff and candidates. Noticed for sure that NCMs are realer folk I'd trust my life with while Officers (candidates) often have dumb holier than thou attitudes and a fixation on personal success over group success. Which loving sucks, I was briefly in a platoon full of that kind of thinking.

also lol @ not having any idea what Gagetown is or how hard it would be when I signed up, oh how naive I was.

Some of the most important lessons I learned from the CF included the importance of listening carefully to the NCMs when they offered feedback and even if I disagreed to make sure that they knew what they were bringing forward was appreciated and considered carefully. They represent a tremendous knowledge and skill resource for an officer and this is very often missed by very young shitheads halfway through a degree and with dreams of a commission. Some of the best officers I worked with helped teach me these lessons (in addition to some very wise and patient CPOs) and some of them were former NCMs themselves. There is a wider lesson there too that I took away and that is that intelligence manifests in a lot of different ways and knowing that has served me very well.

As for Gagetown... if you are going to be there in the summer, always have potent bug spray close to hand. Much of the base is swampy and the wide grass expanses all around it are breeding grounds for biblical numbers of mosquitoes. Oh and enjoy the frequent summer thunderstorms too.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 11, 2023

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Fearless posted:

Some of the most important lessons I learned from the CF included the importance of listening carefully to the NCMs when they offered feedback and even if I disagreed to make sure that they knew what they were bringing forward was appreciated and considered carefully. They represent a tremendous knowledge and skill resource for an officer and this is very often missed by very young shitheads halfway through a degree and with dreams of a commission. Some of the best officers I worked with helped teach me these lessons (in addition to some very wise and patient CPOs) and some of them were former NCMs themselves. There is a wider lesson there too that I took away and that is that intelligence manifests in a lot of different ways and knowing that has served me very well.

As for Gagetown... if you are going to be there in the summer, always have potent bug spray close to hand. Much of the base is swampy and the wide grass expanses all around it are breeding grounds for biblical numbers of mosquitoes. Oh and enjoy the frequent summer thunderstorms too.

It's something we get told constantly in training too as baby officers, _especially_ as baby officers because a warrant with 15 years is gonna know more than 2nd Lt. Babyface.

Yet I still, even there, see officer cadets on a high horse. Doing poo poo like demanding the NCMs in the rooms over keep the music down at eight at night. Me? If they respect my space they can flip all the beds and listen to all the metal they want. The worst of it was someone refusing to help NCMs with assigned chores (TRP is mixed) because the leader of the platoon was an NCM that day. Like good lord what the gently caress even you're just a candidate- that bar means nothing.

Being in a pod with Private Recruits honestly really really gave me a new and good perspective and, if anything, I can be thankful TRP gave me that experience. Realest people I ever met.

I love storms, what worries me about Gagetown is being told Arty. is gonna be a thousand million times more intense and gently caress me, I'm not the most physical guy to begin with.

Pic related.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 12, 2023

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
gently caress me that picture just filled me with an impressive amount of dread

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

SRQ posted:

CFLRS update: got sent to TRP a while ago and then had a mental breakdown when my original platoon hit grad and got some leave from it.

it's good times, like holy poo poo it's worthwhile but it SUCKS. Probably gonna grad in november at this point unless these issues release me.

My favourite story so far is about duty staff standing by the garbage disposal when a top-down search is announced, and then like clockwork the contraband snacks start flowing down like a waterfall while everyone upstairs is scrambling to avoid getting caught.

I've been in for 15 years and I don't understand most of what you are saying.

TRP?

Why are officers and NCMs together? Is that a thing now?

What is a top-down search? Contraband... snacks?

It's like a completely difference experience from when I went through basic in 2008.

Good to see the fire blankets are probably the same as fifteen years ago, though. And the furniture looks exactly the same too.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Hizawk posted:

TRP?

It's like a completely difference experience from when I went through basic in 2008.

Good to see the fire blankets are probably the same as fifteen years ago, though. And the furniture looks exactly the same too.

Training Reintegration Platoon. Injury Platoon.
Phase 1 is medically unfit.
Phase 2 is FORCE fatcamp.
Phase 3 is swipe-outs.

The search was someone lost a bolt or something, so whole building searched. Snacks are explicitely banned in the quarters rooms but nobody follows that.

NCMs and Officers are mixed in all phases.

It absolutely is all the same, I in fact found a booklet dated to 2007 explaining the room layouts. It was very proud they have TVs now in some.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

SRQ posted:

The search was someone lost a bolt or something, so whole building searched. Snacks are explicitely banned in the quarters rooms but nobody follows that.

You want ants? Cause that's how you get ants.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Hizawk posted:

TRP?

TRP is just the rebranded WFT from when you and I were there in the late 2000’s, my partner went through in 2020 and I was just as confused. Then I remembered acronyms give good PER points!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
If I ever start a band, we're going to be called TLA (Three Letter Acronym).

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Jcam posted:

TRP is just the rebranded WFT from when you and I were there in the late 2000’s, my partner went through in 2020 and I was just as confused. Then I remembered acronyms give good PER points!

Uh, excuse me, that's a PAR now.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
:negative:

I swear making that mistake is going to get me forced into another PaCE seminar or something.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Pace, new dress regs, missl(or whatever the stupid moto acronym is), and a330s, big couple years for the caf

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I remember Fall 2018 when we got BEARDFORGEN, BOOTFORGEN, and CANNABIS DAOD

Christmas sure came early.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Beards, boots, and bongs, as I heard some clever young troops saying.

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker
Beards, long hair, colored sunglasses, ball caps; the chair force is looking pretty hippy these days and I couldn't be happier.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

The only thing that would make me happier is the ability to call an idiot an idiot, regardless of rank

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cool to spot a long blue braided ponytail in CADPAT at Costco.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:rip: those two pilots in the accident :(

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:rip: those two pilots in the accident :(

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

After two-ish months in TRP with no improvement and worsening symptoms, I'm advised to VR due to planter fascitis on both feet after a week of sick leave as a hail mary.

It really frustrates and saddens me, especially after all the poo poo I went through with a smile. Beastings in freezing rain storms, getting certified on the C7, getting moderately less poo poo at drill with extra practice, etc- only for my feet to loving collapse in on themselves.

Any advice?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
A bunch of the infantry guys that passed my course - myself included - had something or other going on physically. I was popping tons of painkillers and ephedrine daily just to keep up, and almost VRed myself.

Almost 20 years later it doesn't seem to have turned into anything overly debilitating, though my ankles appear to be made of rubber now. Though I'd hardly recommend that it's a good idea, everyone's body is different and you might be able to work through it and overcome it or you might not. I dunno what trade you're in but most of the land jobs end up getting to you eventually, and it's something you have to decide if you want to deal with or not in your life.

also to note, it's just a job man there's tons of other things you could be spending your time with that aren't actively trying to injure you. The CF is also now filled with overt chuds which doesn't sound very appealing to me. There's not even any tours to go on if you're chasing that side of things.

acumen fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 9, 2023

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

acumen posted:

A bunch of the infantry guys that passed my course - myself included - had something or other going on physically. I was popping tons of painkillers and ephedrine daily just to keep up, and almost VRed myself.

Almost 20 years later it doesn't seem to have turned into anything overly debilitating, though my ankles appear to be made of rubber now. Though I'd hardly recommend that it's a good idea, everyone's body is different and you might be able to work through it and overcome it or you might not. I dunno what trade you're in but most of the land jobs end up getting to you eventually, and it's something you have to decide if you want to deal with or not in your life.

also to note, it's just a job man there's tons of other things you could be spending your time with that aren't actively trying to injure you. The CF is also now filled with overt chuds which doesn't sound very appealing to me. There's not even any tours to go on if you're chasing that side of things.

Go to Latvia and (maybe) not get paid for food!

(Or go INTOPS)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Personally, if someone was asking me to VR, I'd very respectfully tell them to gently caress off.

If you want me out on medical grounds, then throw me on TCAT first and wait until I'm MCAT. I'd look into everything possible to continue with my career until DMedPol says I can't anymore.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Personally, if someone was asking me to VR, I'd very respectfully tell them to gently caress off.

If you want me out on medical grounds, then throw me on TCAT first and wait until I'm MCAT. I'd look into everything possible to continue with my career until DMedPol says I can't anymore.

Qft.

Srq - Where are you stationed and are you on dwan? I'd throw some effort and ideas your way.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Guest2553 posted:

Qft.

Srq - Where are you stationed and are you on dwan? I'd throw some effort and ideas your way.

Still at CFLRS, this started shortly after the 5k.

Clearly combat arms is out for me, at the very least. I've been in TRP/Injury Platoon for close to 2 months with no improvement (in fact it kept worsening because we have to walk 7km daily). So I told the medical officer straight up I have a VR form in my desk because I cannot keep doing this.

As for TCAT/MCAT- I'm on a TCAT right now, but due to said 7km daily walking I'm not willing to stay at this place and risk this becoming permanent. I hate being in this position.

The MO gave me one week sick leave and told me if that fails to VR, and then either try again once I'm healed at home or find a different non-deployable position.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

i dont know how boots work at basic right now, so if you really want to press on, you could buy a nice, light pair of boots and some cushiony insoles. if you cant wear whatever, go to the mir and get a chit to wear non-issued boots

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

My issued boots are actually really nice, won the lottery there. Perfect fit, no sliding around to create blisters, and the MIR offered me nice insoles.

I'm fairly confident (especially because this persists with civvie shoes) it's not a boots issue.

They do allow you to buy your own non-issued even at CFLRS and quite a few do, but you aren't reimbursed until after grad.

It is good advise though, I've seen a few people forced to do that because some of the issued boots are absolute garbage and put at least one person out of action with heavy blisters.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
When I could buy Dr. Scholls after week 4, my life got better by orders of magnitude.

I was with one dude who broke both his feet during the 13k. He still finished it, though. Not sure if that guy stayed in—last I saw he was in a wheelchair after week 7.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 10, 2023

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

you probably need to have an actual foot assessment as it may be a mechanical thing that needs correction with custom insoles. even if you leave the CAF this would be worthwhile but stay in until they boot you out.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

SRQ posted:

The MO gave me one week sick leave and told me if that fails to VR, and then either try again once I'm healed at home or find a different non-deployable position.

I'm still trying to understand this advice. Is it so you don't get medically released, and can rejoin easier? I've never heard of that before. Is this good advice? It reminds me of lots of terrible career-affecting advice that I got during my first year in.

Edit: like, what even is a non-deployable position? Universality of service means you always have to be deployable. I dunno, I don't want to lead you down the garden path either, I just don't understand how VR-ing may help. I agree with the above poster, plenty of folks get stuff like orthodics for their boots. I would keep looking.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 10, 2023

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm still trying to understand this advice. Is it so you don't get medically released, and can rejoin easier? I've never heard of that before. Is this good advice? It reminds me of lots of terrible career-affecting advice that I got during my first year in.

Edit: like, what even is a non-deployable position? Universality of service means you always have to be deployable. I dunno, I don't want to lead you down the garden path either, I just don't understand how VR-ing may help. I agree with the above poster, plenty of folks get stuff like orthodics for their boots. I would keep looking.

I think yes it's VR now, heal at home, so that I have the option of trying again vs a med release pre-empting that.

I have no idea what the latter point meant, they just said "find somewhere else for you,".

The problem right now with "Stay in until X" is that I cannot escape the 7km daily walking at CFLRS injury platoon. It can't be escaped, and it progressively makes it worse. So if I stay in with that, I'm greatly fearful I'm going to make this a permanent thing and never be able to run again.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 10, 2023

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

it its avoidable, ask the doc to write you a chit for no extended periods of walking and disallowed running

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

it its avoidable, ask the doc to write you a chit for no extended periods of walking and disallowed running

Other people in the same position have tried. It's impossible because of the TRP form-up locations and class/PT being so far away from your room. Even people with concussions or broken legs have to do the repeated 7km a day back and fourth journeys across the base. (The later with another injured person pushing them in their wheelchair sometimes.)

It's incredibly stupid and self defeating, I'm not even in the worst of cases and I've seen this sort of thing put back recovery by weeks if not months. I actually do have "sit stand when required" on my chit but I can't help the 15 minute standing for form-up and such repeatedly.

Last Monday, where I drew the line, we had to form up (15 minute standing)go to the TRP building (about 500-ish meters at a march pace). Then the staff realized an error in timings, so we had to go back upstairs, and then back to said building 30 minutes later. By the end of this I could barely walk and the pain level in my feet resting had gone up substantially.

| feel I sound like I'm whining, but the practical reality is all of this has made the symptoms vastly worse since I got here, aren't getting better, and so I feel stuck between a hard place of risking permanent injury and a rock of VR. I simply don't see how I can heal at CFLRS and I've spent two months trying and just sliding further downhill.

(Also hey realtalk am I giving too much away or is this appropriate information to be talking about, I'm always paranoid about that. I could actually do a lot more whining about TRP if it was appropriate to do so.)

SRQ fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 10, 2023

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

SRQ posted:

Other people in the same position have tried. It's impossible because of the TRP form-up locations and class/PT being so far away from your room. Even people with concussions or broken legs have to do the repeated 7km a day back and fourth journeys across the base. (The later with another injured person pushing them in their wheelchair sometimes.)

It's incredibly stupid and self defeating, I'm not even in the worst of cases and I've seen this sort of thing put back recovery by weeks if not months. I actually do have "sit stand when required" on my chit but I can't help the 15 minute standing for form-up and such repeatedly.

Last Monday, where I drew the line, we had to form up (15 minute standing)go to the TRP building (about 500-ish meters at a march pace). Then the staff realized they messed up our timings, so we had to go back upstairs, and then back to said building 30 minutes later. By the end of this I could barely walk and the pain level in my feet resting had gone up substantially.

| feel I sound like I'm whining, but the practical reality is all of this has made the symptoms vastly worse since I got here, aren't getting better, and so I feel stuck between a hard place of risking permanent injury and a rock of VR. I simply don't see how I can heal at CFLRS and I've spent two months trying and just sliding further downhill.

(Also hey realtalk am I giving too much away or is this appropriate information to be talking about, I'm always paranoid about that. I could actually do a lot more whining about TRP if it was appropriate to do so.)

It's the Canadian Military, it's a given the [insert name here] institution is broken.

You know your body the best. Sometimes the Docs are overly cautious and sometimes give counter productive advice, but that's because they deal with idiots the whole time.

The best person who knows your body and your limits is yourself. If you can't do it due to whatever, then don't force it.

I've hid a few injuries in my time to soldier on and ended up regretting it and sometimes making things worse.

EDIT: Or significantly downplayed the severity of my injuries which has hosed over my chances for any kind of veterans support for ongoing issues.

Hizawk fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 10, 2023

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Hizawk posted:

It's the Canadian Military, it's a given the [insert name here] institution is broken.

You know your body the best. Sometimes the Docs are overly cautious and sometimes give counter productive advice, but that's because they deal with idiots the whole time.

The best person who knows your body and your limits is yourself. If you can't do it due to whatever, then don't force it.

I've hid a few injuries in my time to soldier on and ended up regretting it and sometimes making things worse.

EDIT: Or significantly downplayed the severity of my injuries which has hosed over my chances for any kind of veterans support for ongoing issues.

Yeah, and I can tell my body is saying "Get out now."

It just sucks that even the injury platoon section of CFLRS is structured so that I can't heal, so I can't ride out my chit or something and take advantage of the wonderful physio and PSP staff. I have to VR, due to the structure of this being counter productive and working backwards.

I don't like it. It double sucks that I got through plenty of beastings with a smile and was really starting to make it. I could feel the self improvement, drive, and spirit of my original platoon. I was days from shooting my C7 and the gas chamber.

That retroactive pay increase is nice tho.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 10, 2023

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.

SRQ posted:

Yeah, and I can tell my body is saying "Get out now."

It just sucks that even the injury platoon section of CFLRS is structured so that I can't heal, so I can't ride out my chit or something and take advantage of the wonderful physio and PSP staff. I have to VR, due to the structure of this being counter productive and working backwards.

I don't like it. It double sucks that I got through plenty of beastings with a smile and was really starting to make it. I could feel the self improvement, drive, and spirit of my original platoon. I was days from shooting my C7 and the gas chamber.

That retroactive pay increase is nice tho.

I get that this feels like a major setback and it's super disheartening. Your frustrations are all valid. You're an adult and you can make your own decision whether or not you want to stay in and see it through or put in your walking papers.

I can tell you that after 13 years in anything that happened on BMQ is a hazy memory at best and 100%, honest-to-God does not matter at all later. What does matter later is giving yourself a chronic injury on behalf of an institution that does not give a gently caress about you individually. I have permanent nerve damage in my hand from toughing it out in SQ and it was not worth it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

oh boy, i get to the airport only to learn ive been booked on stand-by, what the fuuuuuuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Primus posted:

I get that this feels like a major setback and it's super disheartening. Your frustrations are all valid. You're an adult and you can make your own decision whether or not you want to stay in and see it through or put in your walking papers.

I can tell you that after 13 years in anything that happened on BMQ is a hazy memory at best and 100%, honest-to-God does not matter at all later. What does matter later is giving yourself a chronic injury on behalf of an institution that does not give a gently caress about you individually. I have permanent nerve damage in my hand from toughing it out in SQ and it was not worth it.

I find it really odd how much we get told "CFLRS doesn't matter and teaches you nothing about what actual life in the CAF is."

Outside of PT what's the point then? Why is basic structured in a way it teaches nothing. I certainly feel I improved as a person, but that always hit me as odd.

That and our original platoon staff literally lied to us about memo formatting as an excuse to beast us leading me to later write my memos wrong in a new platoon. That was fun.

In any case current plan is to VR and deal with whatever costs that entails, and if it gets better re-apply. Leaving before I get med-release at least gives me that option.