Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
K, the following is predicated on the story of the 9 year old at the track meet completely breaking me.

I'm unbookmarking this thread to take a mental health break from it, and I hope that my completely unsolicited opinion in this post is going to be taken in the spirit it was given which isn't a criticism of moderation or posters, but rather an appeal for examination of the course that the thread has taken in the broader context of SA, laughing at idiots, and mock threads in general.

This thread, and a lot of other threads devoted to mocking people on the internet (i.e. SA's bread and butter) has metamorphosed into something that is largely gawping at people being relentlessly awful to one another, almost a competition to find the most bigoted, disheartening, or soul-crushing examples of black-hearted vileness. I recognise that this is very much a symptom of the Current Times we are living in, but also gently suggest the words of someone who is far more eloquent than I am, in the form of the OP of this thread:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

But I digress. Do you know what my favorite kind of Idiots on Social Media are? The kind people can laugh at without feeling as though they're being dehumanized by the idiot in question. So while this is often a political thread at its core, let's go back to trying to focus on the harmless idiots and not the kind spreading hateful rhetoric.

Please think for a moment before posting material that could feasibly be preceded by a content warning. This means, be wary of sharing posts that include things such as extreme:
    Transphobia
    Homophobia
    Racism
    Discussion of sexual assault and/or abuse
    Etc.
...because sometimes, people just need a break from all that.

If, upon previewing your post, you realize it's likely to engender nothing in thread followers but reminders of how lovely the world outside is, consider posting something else instead! There are a lot of idiots out there. Some are funnier than others.

Gone are the halcyon days where pointing at idiots on the internet in mock threads was more "check out this huge dork" rather than "check out this bigoted screed that is a hallmark of the country's rapid descent into masks-off fash". A good 50%+ of what is being posted is of this particular flavour.

The one heartening thing is that at least SA is on the right loving side of all of this. Somehow this is one of the only online communities that has actually evolved into a more progressive and accepting place in the last decade or two, and that actually opposes lovely ideologies. And maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree: horrible poo poo needs to be brought into the light and examined and decried and made fun of and it could be that maybe this particular thread is the appropriate forum for such discussions and I'm the one who is wrong, in which case no longer checking up on the thread is probably good for me.

If seeing this stuff in this thread galvanizes people against the horrid loving bigotry that's being shown in a way that actually leads to positive outcomes, then I guess I have no basis for complaint. But I would like to gently suggest to anyone who comes into this thread on the regular because it's like picking a scab: giving you painful/bad feelings but in a way that is somehow compulsive or habitual, maybe take a second to consider its impact on your demeanor, for your own sake.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

...because sometimes, people just need a break from all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

People still give molyneux poo poo for promising that you could leave an acorn on the ground in hour 1 of the first fable and later it would grow into a tree. When he was with Microsoft they had to assign people to oversee him so he would not make stupid promises to journalists. He was one of the greatest snake oil salesman in the industry which is a feat

Which you could kinda do in dark cloud/chronicle 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLhIP4jWpAs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

People still give molyneux poo poo for promising that you could leave an acorn on the ground in hour 1 of the first fable and later it would grow into a tree. When he was with Microsoft they had to assign people to oversee him so he would not make stupid promises to journalists. He was one of the greatest snake oil salesman in the industry which is a feat

it was insanely funny that his games career started with him accepting a bunch of amigas illegitimately because commodore mistook his company that exported baked beans with one that made network software

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Coolness Averted posted:

Did you play it at launch/follow the hype? Or just discover it later after the dlc? That's usually the difference between hating it and finding it kind of neat.
Divorced from Peter Molyneux's hype and inability to ever deliver on his promises, his games are usually okay-ish.

Oh, yeah, I could absolutely see that. I think it was well after launch, at least some years, and even back then I had just started to mentally tune Molyneux out as a a chronic exaggerator. My feeling was always that he never actually lied, because he always absolutely believed what he was saying in the moment, he just had no mental apparatus that went "hang on, is this actually possible?" before his lips started moving.

kirbysuperstar posted:

it was insanely funny that his games career started with him accepting a bunch of amigas illegitimately because commodore mistook his company that exported baked beans with one that made network software

also lmao, got a source for this story? This I HAVE to hear.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Whenever anyone mentions Peter Molyneux I have to pause and go back to make sure they’re not talking about that fascist wannabe cult leader who looks like a low budget clone of John Malkovich and has a weird obsession with Taylor Swift’s ovaries.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
My favourite Molyneux moment was when one of his kickstarters collapsed under the weight of his own hubris and his only defence was "Well of course I had to keep promising to add new features, every time I did, people gave me more money :("

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Molyneux anecdote I know of is that when he got his first game published he warned his postman to expect a deluge of fan mail. He ended up getting two letters, both from his mother.

Bullfrog gave us Dungeon Keeper and Theme Hospital though, so I can't bring myself to actually dislike the guy no matter how many disappointments he puts out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tenebrais posted:

The Molyneux anecdote I know of is that when he got his first game published he warned his postman to expect a deluge of fan mail. He ended up getting two letters, both from his mother.

You wouldn’t be able to waterboard this out of me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't have anything to add to this one way or the other but I just want to echo that I'm impressed that SA has managed to turn itself into what it is today, through some combination of patient effort and reflexive reaction against the way the wind everywhere else seems to have blown. The fact that we need to start thinking about separating out "harmless idiots" from "genuine poisonous elements" (both of whom deserve their own kinds of spotlight), and consciously aren't joining either one of them, is something to be proud of

There was another post in another thread (or maybe this one and I'm just blind) earlier this morning that I wanted to quote for this but for the life of me I can't find it. It basically said the same thing though.

e: VV I wonder if "not having a big-brands-ad-driven model" is the only thing that has made this place survive

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 13:56 on Jun 14, 2023

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Vib Rib posted:

Pretty cool that Reddit admins can just override your decision to shut down your own subreddit, that's not weird at all

I've dealt with Reddit Admins longer than most, and I can say that they've universally always been dicks. I don't know, nor do I care, if it's just that the right wing brings in more ad money, "the nazis are the point", or Freeze Peach absolutionism, or a combination of all three, but at best, Reddit has succeeded in spite of them, not because of them. It's a Muskian level of "When given three options, invent a fourth that's worse than all three" incompetance.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
IMO it’s better to mock evil idiots than innocent ones.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Molyneux's problem is that he doesn't know how to pivot from the pitch he's giving to investors and publishers about the game they want to make, to the pitch he's giving to potential customers about the game they are making. People Make Games did a video talking to him about all his games in retrospect, and he's clearly someone who gets really attached to that 'what could have been'. Way more humble than you expect when he's come down from that hype, too; he owns up when he falls short, he just wants you to be as excited as he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeNGLhNM5Kk

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

using breetai's post as a bit of a launchpad but also something i've said before that I'd like the thread's opinion:

Do we want a rule to enforce the reduction of more bigoted/ghoulish/distressing idiots in favour of more, for lack of a better word, fun idiots? Or would the thread prefer a self-policing approach?

I'm mindful that with the CSPAM Internet Culture Warrior thread gone, this thread seems to be housing some of the tweets that would usually appear there. I have a stronger appetite for the worst stuff out there but I recognise everyone's is very subjective.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1668794043558690818?t=0e4bnrT8gs4a5-6vZvCq7g&s=19

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

using breetai's post as a bit of a launchpad but also something i've said before that I'd like the thread's opinion:

Do we want a rule to enforce the reduction of more bigoted/ghoulish/distressing idiots in favour of more, for lack of a better word, fun idiots? Or would the thread prefer a self-policing approach?

I'm mindful that with the CSPAM Internet Culture Warrior thread gone, this thread seems to be housing some of the tweets that would usually appear there. I have a stronger appetite for the worst stuff out there but I recognise everyone's is very subjective.

I'm on the same page as you, I've got the stomach for it (being a cishet white dude goes a long way toward it not bothering me as much) but I'm ok with a rule, I'd prefer a thread that didn't make people upset to one that did.

What if we had a like IoSM and then like a Bigots on Social Media thread? Or is that direction for a thread too pointed?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Since you mention the Internet Culture Warriors thread, I'm just going to throw in a minor update on the Burke situation that followers of that thread might remember:

Enoch stayed doggedly outside the school until the end of term

Also the audio of the big fight at the Court of Appeal, (back when Simeon Burke got carried out by 4 gardaí and his shoes went missing, while Enoch clung to the benches and had to be dragged away across the floor) is to be released to Simeon Burke and the gardaí, as part of Simeon's appeal, so there's a chance it might be leaked.
https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/court-audio-recordings-will-be-released-for-simeon-burke-appeal-1486879.html

I dearly hope it will be, because it has to be hilarious.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Captain Monkey posted:

What if we had a like IoSM and then like a Bigots on Social Media thread? Or is that direction for a thread too pointed?

This seemed to me like the natural way to go.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Maybe content warnings would help? Like if someone just doesn't want to read about Transphobe #500 they can opt out of clicking the link, because someone put "CW: Transphobia" underneath it rather than just "lol, lmao" and on clicking through you're faced with an insane screed you didn't need that day?

At this point I don't personally feel like hateful idiots are particularly funny or interesting, they're just all repeating the same insane bullshit, but I also do not feel like I, personally, am harmed by it. I just scroll past it.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Transphobes being transphobic is not entertaining to me. Occasionally "transphobe receives comeuppance" is fun but most of the trans content in this thread is just "lovely person who hates you exists, here's some lovely poo poo they said" which doesn't entertain me. That is my data point anecdote here

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've always felt like one of the ways to improve the air aorund that sort of content is to have a rule of 'they have to be stupid/funny for other reasons than just being bigoted'. That's not always gonna help, of course, but if the only fun we can have is 'look at the transphobe', that's not fun for anyone.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like, either it's a lol thread or a rage thread. Mixing them kinda sucks

You can have them separate though

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm also white-cis-het so hateful idiocy is not personally harmful to me and my opinion probably shouldn't be weighted the same in this discussion as someone who is directly harmed by it. That said:

I find there's a difference between stuff that is simply hateful content and stuff that showcases how genuinely rock-stupid transphobes or antivaxxers (for example) can be. The harasser of the 9 year old shotputter feels to me more like someone who is hateful first and an idiot second (for believing that it would even matter in prepubescent children even if it mattered in adult sports). On the other hand, the person who was insistent that they'd never have mRNA in their body is a complete loving moron even if they were, say, harassing people for getting vaccinated. Or the occasional TERF who can "always tell", or tells a trans man they'll never be a woman, etc. Stupid on top of the already-stupid hate.

I tend to scroll past the posts that are just showcasing hate (I see enough of that in other threads elsewhere) but the idiots that let their hate make them into abject morons are really funny and a little heartening, in their way. And that's what I think is the purpose of this thread.

I don't know how to draw the line, but maybe the thread should push harder against posting content that is hateful without being completely ridiculous.

(Cybersmith posts are always welcome because JESUS.)

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
It's really important for some ppl to remind trans people that transphobes still want them dead

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

so kinda like Musk having a Tesla lawyer babysitting and approving any tesla and only tesla posts.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
In my trash experience and garbage opinions, if it’s posted, it needs to be worth a post.

I don’t care about college republican #37483-MkIII being mad about the existence of abortions

…but if that college republican #37483-MkIII decides “I need to livestream myself swan diving into a trough of pig poo poo while a concerto plays the star spangled banner at double speed”, worth a post. Man bites dog, and all that.

I do think warnings are worth it but like, understand that there will be people using them in bad faith, and people who won’t use them at all. Whatever measures are implemented need to ideally be uniformly followed or at least a goddamn attempt (because people genuinely mean well and still beef it)

I think this thread can solidly self police and if people need to dip for a stint, they do so.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
This is supposed to be a comedy thread. It has its roots in people like the Titanic Guy. I don't come here to be horrified by the latest in transphobia or racism. Whenever someone posts a wall of hateful bullshit I just scroll by. Not only is it ugly, it's boring.

I dunno what kind of rule you could write, maybe just banning garden variety bigotry. I really just want people to follow the general SA rule and ask if their post is funny, entertaining, or informative in any way. "Here's the latest in slurs" doesn't pass that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

There should definitely be less posting of transphobic idiots (unless it's spectacular idiocy like the one TERF who claimed men have XX chromosomes) and even more definitely less discussion of it when it is posted. I'd be happy if this was mod enforced because the thread can't seem to help itself.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Kenning posted:

Have a gander at the incredibly normal-looking guy who was hollering at the 9 year old shot putter:

People like this are less idiots on social media than they are just cunts in real life and probably don’t need to be posted that much. “Is it funny” is a good measure in my book and this ain’t funny.

Edit: not having a pop at anyone posting it ofc, not thought about the issue really till Breetai pointed it out. Just a good example.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah that's another aspect, just because a local news story gets reported on via a tweet doesn't make it an anything on social media, except in the most indirect sense

We can try keeping it focused on people whose idiocy is social-media-centric if that helps.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Cleretic posted:

I've always felt like one of the ways to improve the air aorund that sort of content is to have a rule of 'they have to be stupid/funny for other reasons than just being bigoted'. That's not always gonna help, of course, but if the only fun we can have is 'look at the transphobe', that's not fun for anyone.

Yeah, that's how the wrestling thread for bad takes goes. There needs to be something funny and online about it, it can't just be bigotry. Just links to news stories that are shared via twitter or things like that gross honeypot don't fit unless we're linking to the guy organizing it forgetting to log out of his burner or something.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I agree with the sentiment that this thread is best when the content is more just bog standard idiocy and not hateful.

Like, why even share that track and field story in this thread to begin with? It was a couple being shitbags in real life to people's faces.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Im a cis het white dude so take this with a grain of salt but I don’t like the posts of someone being straight hateful. But something like terf steps on rake and knocks themselves out while being transphobic, that I can chuckle at.

It can be be a thin line and I’ll absolutely defer to people being affected directly.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tenebrais posted:

Bullfrog gave us Dungeon Keeper and Theme Hospital though, so I can't bring myself to actually dislike the guy no matter how many disappointments he puts out.
Having followed the development of DK back in the day, let me say it was also subject to Molyneux making up a ton of lies about it. While Dungeon Keeper 1 was in development, he promised all kinds of wild, adaptive, sophisticated behaviors and a living, in depth ecosystem that would by description rival Dwarf Fortress and the like. Man's been lying from day one.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I get that they're angry because Bud Light acknowledges that trans people exist, but why are conservatives so pissed off about Target?

Vib Rib posted:

Having followed the development of DK back in the day, let me say it was also subject to Molyneux making up a ton of lies about it. While Dungeon Keeper 1 was in development, he promised all kinds of wild, adaptive, sophisticated behaviors and a living, in depth ecosystem that would by description rival Dwarf Fortress and the like. Man's been lying from day one.

Okay but like out of those lies spawn real breakthroughs

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

credburn posted:

I get that they're angry because Bud Light acknowledges that trans people exist, but why are conservatives so pissed off about Target?
Rainbows in the store, and some stuff very obviously and intentionally misrepresented to get conservative audiences mad.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Target was selling LGBT stuff for Pride Month and some chuds made a big deal about it and then Target completely overreacted and pulled all the stuff so the chuds got their win and kept on the attack.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

credburn posted:

Okay but like out of those lies spawn real breakthroughs

They were told to be mad at them.

Same reason they went after chick fil a, someone noticed they had a diversity official I’d whatever for the past two years and now they are the bad guy

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Breetai posted:

Gone are the halcyon days where pointing at idiots on the internet in mock threads was more "check out this huge dork" rather than "check out this bigoted screed that is a hallmark of the country's rapid descent into masks-off fash". A good 50%+ of what is being posted is of this particular flavour.

I think Breetai is right.

Captain Monkey posted:

Also Captain Monkey.

Arsenic Lupin has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jun 14, 2023

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Every mock thread devolves from "lol, look at this poo poo" to "look at this poo poo, lol." If you get the difference, you see the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Heath posted:

Every mock thread devolves from "lol, look at this poo poo" to "look at this poo poo, lol." If you get the difference, you see the problem.

Well put.