Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Jaytan posted:

Half the board specific nodes on the cult leader board for necros don’t do anything. Seems about in line with resists being busted!

I have lost a couple of hardcore characters so haven’t done the 80+ grind yet, but do you need significantly more xp to level than what you get running nightmare dungeons for glyph levels? If not why would you even want to hyperfocus character xp at the expense of glyph xp now that we’re outside the window of being first?

Nightmare Dungeons aren't necessarily giving higher experience - and when you are running them at the 'correct' e.g. 3-5 levels over your character level - they will at best offer you a similar yield as the dungeons would have otherwise, but mixed in with potentially tedious modifiers like 'monsters take 45% less from your main damage type'
Yes you get the added benefit of getting a bit of progress in your glyphs - but it doesn't particularly outweigh the overall time investment, especially when you consider how long it takes to travel to a lot of these dungeons when you pop open the next NM.

For pure brains-off explode elite packs, our best place is still certain dungeons (noted prior)

Helltides aren't quite populated enough, especially not with elite packs.
The PVP zone is better - but still can't compare to a good dungeon (though might be closer now) - and you're also competing with other people for the packs (as well as murder). I love the pvp zones but they are by no means as reliable and repeatable an xp farming source as dungeons are. They're great if you get one 'to yourself' and are able to run a lap and wipe out all of the elites and maybe the boss - but even 1-2 other people will turn it into a barren wasteland in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

wemgo posted:

It’s not a bad thing to want the actual gameplay to be more fun. Not everyone likes trying out builds nor do they have the time to pay for the respec/reitemization.

OP said

quote:

i only play video games for the meta aspect these days so using several different build guides, following along with my favorite streamers, and optimizing runs to get the most reward out of the fewest clicks / least amount of player activity is the best way to play this game for me.
I think playing without guides is great. However if you're going to spend a lot of time looking for the One Perfect Way and then find it, then yes you've eliminated a lot of what is in there in my opinion. If optimization is your only goal, I think you are going to get bored because you've passed by a bunch of choices.

Now maybe I mis read/misinterpreted here and if so I apologize.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

That Little Demon posted:

Sure, let’s waste our time changing 120 dungeons because of PoETarded brains. Great idea!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this probation is modtarded

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
pvp is the best because if some loser keeps stealing my mob density I can just kill his rear end instead of bitching on the blizzard forums about them nerfing dungeons

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
This game is going to be trouble. The random quests feel like the patrols in Destiny which means i'm in trouble and i'm going to get addicted.

How do I make my sorcerer not suck? Or what other subclass should I use?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Level 42 druid here. I've been running pure lightning (storm, hurricane, trample, cataclysm) the whole game and have started to get a few pieces of gear that are +earth skills and haven't seen any +lightning in a long time. What's a good leveling build for earth? Looking for killer AOE damage. I want to melt screens of enemies. Finished Act I and II yesterday, so will be starting on III.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Level 42 druid here. I've been running pure lightning (storm, hurricane, trample, cataclysm) the whole game and have started to get a few pieces of gear that are +earth skills and haven't seen any +lightning in a long time. What's a good leveling build for earth? Looking for killer AOE damage. I want to melt screens of enemies. Finished Act I and II yesterday, so will be starting on III.

there are 2 drop only aspects you want, one makes your smashy thing go off twice. the other one makes your running bear do 6 smashy things, and if you mix it with the other one it does 12.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You want the aspect of the trampled earth, it'll spawn 6 landslides behind you when you trample, which covers much of the screen. Then you want aspect of the aftershock to make landslide cast twice. Quicksand is also good as it makes your earth spells slow so enemies count as CC'd for extra damage on CC'd enemies.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I generally leave people alone in the PvP area but multiple times I’ve had guys chase me down and try to take on The Bear

All have died by my hand

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

acumen posted:

pvp is the best because if some loser keeps stealing my mob density I can just kill his rear end instead of bitching on the blizzard forums about them nerfing dungeons

this.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I would enjoy the pvp if it didn't force you into a party of 4 because I have no friends. Why not just force it to be an FFA instead of 4 people roaming around looking to gank solo players?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

bamhand posted:

I would enjoy the pvp if it didn't force you into a party of 4 because I have no friends. Why not just force it to be an FFA instead of 4 people roaming around looking to gank solo players?

What class are you playing? Some are way better at running away than others - even vs 3-4 people.
The roaming ganksquads tend to empty out the area, so you can always switch zones if they are becoming bothersome.
Alternatively, find other people that have died to them and team up. There's almost always going to be other solos that have been killed by them.

Really though, you -should- be teaming up, even a pair of players makes things far more managable going up agianst 3 or 4 unless there is a massive level difference - in which case the high level players are being penalized automatically and are purely there for the bloodlust.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
this is a very expensive game. I think I'll wait like 3 years or something to buy it and hopefully the price will drop. I had the same plan for Diablo 3 but then I just forgot it existed. I will mark my calendar 3 years from now and return to this thread

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zzulu posted:

this is a very expensive game. I think I'll wait like 3 years or something to buy it and hopefully the price will drop. I had the same plan for Diablo 3 but then I just forgot it existed. I will mark my calendar 3 years from now and return to this thread

thanks for the info, i was worried and needed to know this

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Campfire chat is in 2 days

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23969869/tune-in-to-our-first-diablo-iv-campfire-chat

quote:

On June 6, the gates of Hell flung open and players from around the world were thrust directly into the conflict between Inarius and Lilith. Thanks to you, Diablo IV is now the fastest selling Blizzard game of all time! We want to take the opportunity to express our gratitude directly during our first Diablo IV Campfire Chat.

Grab your favorite fiery beverage and join Diablo general manager Rod Fergusson, game director Joe Shely, associate production director Tiffany Wat, and associate director of community Adam Fletcher on June 16 at 11 a.m. PDT. The team will detail our successful launch, feedback we’ve received from the community, and what’s on the horizon for Diablo IV.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That chat better just be a splash screen that says MORE DEMONS

and also renown rewards carry into seasons you're welcome

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

For some reason hitting level 32, finding a few decent pieces of gear, using some sockets now that I registered that you can un-socket the gems that you put in for a relatively low fee, and running around grabbing some Lilith shrines... my barb went from "sometimes struggles with mobs" to "Deathblow delivering machine" and now I'm having even more fun. To the point I'm thinking of upping my World Tier to 2 so I can level faster. Or I should just blitz the main storyline quests?

I really wish cooldowns were a bit shorter and/or I could spend Fury to do Leap or Deathblow while the cooldown was not-yet-done-cooling-down.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

...To the point I'm thinking of upping my World Tier to 2 so I can level faster. Or I should just blitz the main storyline quests?

The bonus EXP isn't worth the increased HP

I'd blitz the story just so you can get your pony quicker.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The lack of new gear past level 52 is really annoying. I have a stash full of aspects that I intend to put on new gear, but I haven't found anything better than what I already have in the last three days.

Meanwhile I'm slowly crawling through the +5 stats paragon board and it's the most useless talent tree I've seen. All those stats could've been passives baked into level ups.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Sab669 posted:

This. The increase in HP isn't at all proportionate to the XP gained. Just beat the story on 1, then climb tiers - 3 and 4 are actually 'worthwhile'.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Aw drat, they nerfed dungeon elite spawn rates? What’s the new preferred method of going from 40-50 on an alt? Just more rando dungeons?

Once you have maxed renown and statues the game is pretty dang boring on an alt until you can juice monster levels with NM sigils

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

The lack of new gear past level 52 is really annoying. I have a stash full of aspects that I intend to put on new gear, but I haven't found anything better than what I already have in the last three days.

Meanwhile I'm slowly crawling through the +5 stats paragon board and it's the most useless talent tree I've seen. All those stats could've been passives baked into level ups.

Game needs a loot filter big time, and Blizzard is almost certainly never ever going to implement something like that.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Donnerberg posted:

Meanwhile I'm slowly crawling through the +5 stat paragon board and it's the most useless talent tree I've seen. All those stats could've been passives backed into level ups.

You are near a tier breakpoint. I am assuming you haven't done your capstone and broken into WT3 yet?
If you feel comfortable trying, you could attempt the capstone - or have a friend blast you through it.
Breaking into WT3, especially early, will shower you with loot that is close to your level.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Heads up, druids are dropping barb uniques for some reason, which is a confirmed bug:

https://www.wowhead.com/diablo-4/news/diablo-4-druid-unique-loot-table-bugged-333476

I have a friend playing druid who's gotten like 4 barb uniques lol, thought of him when I saw this.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

For some reason hitting level 32, finding a few decent pieces of gear, using some sockets now that I registered that you can un-socket the gems that you put in for a relatively low fee, and running around grabbing some Lilith shrines... my barb went from "sometimes struggles with mobs" to "Deathblow delivering machine" and now I'm having even more fun. To the point I'm thinking of upping my World Tier to 2 so I can level faster. Or I should just blitz the main storyline quests?

I really wish cooldowns were a bit shorter and/or I could spend Fury to do Leap or Deathblow while the cooldown was not-yet-done-cooling-down.

Cooldowns are a bit long I agree. I'm on Tier 2 and its not been hard but everyone else has said I should have just done tier 1. I'm already well into act 4 though so I'm thinking I'll just finish it up on Tier 2 .

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Anyone know if, when doing a whisper dungeon, if the whisper expires while you're in it, do you still get the grim favors?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Good Citizen posted:

Aw drat, they nerfed dungeon elite spawn rates? What’s the new preferred method of going from 40-50 on an alt? Just more rando dungeons?

Once you have maxed renown and statues the game is pretty dang boring on an alt until you can juice monster levels with NM sigils

There's two 'best' dungeons to farm currently:

A) Charnel House + Champions Demise (alternate the Dungeons- clearing one resets the other and they are a short run apart)
B) Uldur's Cave (exit menu reset)

NM doesn't really do as much as it should in terms of XP gains - it's almost purely existing to level your glyphs.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Shredder posted:

there are 2 drop only aspects you want, one makes your smashy thing go off twice. the other one makes your running bear do 6 smashy things, and if you mix it with the other one it does 12.

M. Night Skymall posted:

You want the aspect of the trampled earth, it'll spawn 6 landslides behind you when you trample, which covers much of the screen. Then you want aspect of the aftershock to make landslide cast twice. Quicksand is also good as it makes your earth spells slow so enemies count as CC'd for extra damage on CC'd enemies.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for these. Thanks!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Pylons posted:

Anyone know if, when doing a whisper dungeon, if the whisper expires while you're in it, do you still get the grim favors?

Nope, gotta finish it before the time expires.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So they just said "Eh, D3 had a search filter for the inventory for years, but we surely won't need it in this one, where players will be constantly looking for certain items/aspects in their stash to extract or put on their new item, basically our new core mechanic in item progression"?

Baffling. Most of the old devs must have left and taken their notes with them it seems.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am at Act 3 land and while the plot is fine it basically boils down to: worst people break up with each other, want to make it the world's fault.

Also my common encounter hate list is banshees and bone artillery.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

DarkDobe posted:

You are near a tier breakpoint. I am assuming you haven't done your capstone and broken into WT3 yet?
If you feel comfortable trying, you could attempt the capstone - or have a friend blast you through it.
Breaking into WT3, especially early, will shower you with loot that is close to your level.

I'm in WT3 though. I got a bunch of ilevel 690-700 gear in my first helltide and have only found 550-650 stuff since.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 14, 2023

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

DarkDobe posted:

There's two 'best' dungeons to farm currently:

A) Charnel House + Champions Demise (alternate the Dungeons- clearing one resets the other and they are a short run apart)
B) Uldur's Cave (exit menu reset)

NM doesn't really do as much as it should in terms of XP gains - it's almost purely existing to level your glyphs.

Cool thanks

And I know about NM dungeons pretty well. They’re just more interesting since anything at my alt’s level can’t be classified as even a mild challenge and I can juice them to be at least 5-10 levels higher than me

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

I feel like fully over half the aspects for my class (rogue) are almost completely worthless.

Then I looked at the aspects for the other classes. Why are so many of them so bad? There's far too many utility aspects in a game about pushing damage numbers, and far too many aspects that do next to nothing. The offensive aspects in particular are very disappointing for so many classes.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Pylons posted:

No you don’t make sure the whisper won’t expire while running the dungeon

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sab669 posted:

Glad I mentioned it, thank you for the heads up!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Kaldaris posted:

Then I looked at the aspects for the other classes. Why are so many of them so bad? There's far too many utility aspects in a game about pushing damage numbers, and far too many aspects that do next to nothing. The offensive aspects in particular are very disappointing for so many classes.

Most legendary aspects being poo poo isn't new to D4. Perhaps you notice it more since we don't have gear set items yet.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

mcbexx posted:

So they just said "Eh, D3 had a search filter for the inventory for years, but we surely won't need it in this one, where players will be constantly looking for certain items/aspects in their stash to extract or put on their new item, basically our new core mechanic in item progression"?

Baffling. Most of the old devs must have left and taken their notes with them it seems.

They have a neat keyword-based search filter for your skills and basically the exact same thing would work for gear! Why isn't it already there!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Kaldaris posted:

I feel like fully over half the aspects for my class (rogue) are almost completely worthless.

Can't assume the dev making the game is actually an expert at playing it. Or worse, that they aren't just hitting an arbitrary checklist. Sure, it's nice to have options that aren't painfully meta and obviously best, to let Johnnys craft unique builds or people to find unexpected and pleasing synergies. But when you need 100+ of these and you're already getting your backs broken by crunch, sometimes you just slam it in and worry about it later.

I had this thought myself leveling Sorc today. I was using Ball Lightning for awhile because "well, Core AND Mastery Skills cost Mana(why) that I can't afford to spam, and Mastery is later and more advanced, right?!" and I tried out Chain Lightning today and lol, lmao. Why even have Ball Lightning in the game? At least you can see the graphic during Unstable Currents or use it to Enchant but lol, lmao. My killing efficiency on single and aoe targets practically tripled AND CL is cheaper to cast.

This game will be really nice after a few giant balance passes and patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Most legendary aspects being poo poo isn't new to D4. Perhaps you notice it more since we don't have gear set items yet.

It's more like, when I think of D3 and their legendary weapons with unique effects, most of them push damage in some way and are actually, you know, unique. Spawning a demon to follow you around with a fire chain, turning enemies into lightning rods, summoning angels, creating an AoE zone of holy damage. Like all of that was at least as visually interesting as it was mechanically advantageous. So many aspects just feel ... Uninspired.

And what was the point of removing gear sets if the aspects are going to try to pigeonhole you into a build anyways based on the level of support certain core abilities get over others?