Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Ok, so I'm sorry to be a bit of a downer, but it seems like a distinct possibility that the offensive probably won't gain the results that have been hoped. If it does stall out what kind of political effects could have on the war? A loss of interest from western parties in funding it? Putin trying to snatch a win of sorts if the war turns into a stalemate that can't be reasonably broken by either side at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

khwarezm posted:

Ok, so I'm sorry to be a bit of a downer, but it seems like a distinct possibility that the offensive probably won't gain the results that have been hoped. If it does stall out what kind of political effects could have on the war? A loss of interest from western parties in funding it? Putin trying to snatch a win of sorts if the war turns into a stalemate that can't be reasonably broken by either side at this point?

All that would depend entirely on how it failed and why. None of that could be answered now.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I don’t think governments are going to stop being invested in this conflict because an offensive stalls out. The main objective is to stem imperialist aggression so even if Ukraine can’t effectively oust Russia from their lands, they’ve still done a good job of blunting the force and will need to be backed up with security guarantees and/or arms deals in the future to try and stymie the inevitable next attempt.

Otherwise we have afghanistan 2: this time with genocide and no one reasonable would let that happen on their watch.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

"The amphibious assault on Dieppe was a failure. Thus it would be pointless for the Allies to continue attempting cross-Channel amphibious assaults into German-held France"

We neither have the evidence to prove the assault is or is not stalling out, we have no clue what proportion of the forces set aside for the counter-offensive have been committed nor how many reserves Russia is holding back to respond to breaches in the lines, and there's a long line of military aid that's going to backfill the UAF's losses over the next two years and deep stocks of Soviet equipment that's being cobbled together to replenish the RuAF. All that being said to illustrate that you're being a little too hasty in your hand-wringing here. Good outcomes and bad outcomes are both very likely.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It also depends on the expectations of the rather numerous actors. You or I may look at Twitter and decide the offensive failed, while NATO may view it as successful, except for a couple countries which had other victory criteria in mind, etc.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

Weird, probably Kadyrov's idea of a joke post since a lot of Russian officials insist that Delimkhanov is alive

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1668911534184038403?t=tAa5BjCFhP72SlsP8i5F9Q&s=19

Is there more to this joke other than the obvious "no we are not going to tell you poo poo"?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

khwarezm posted:

Unless there are very heavy losses, and the tanks are a loss but not a catastrophic one, I’m not sure why reverting to the status of a few weeks ago but probably a little bit better would destroy western morale. This seemed like an important operation but not an all or nothing push.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

khwarezm posted:

Depends on what you were hoping for though right? If you were hoping for Zelensky to announce the offensive and watch Ukrainians sweep the Russians to the sea then your hopes or expectations were unrealistic to begin with. If you understood that while the Ukrainians got a lot of older Western surplus stuff and had a little bit of training with it, and that the Russians aren't totally incompetent and have used the time alloted to them to prepare then there is no reason to be a downer because slow and uneven progress was always expected from the start.

I see no reason to be down on the Ukrainians so far. The Ukrainians are currently clearing out the forward areas that lie in front of the main Russian defensive line. The area is in question is located where visible Russian defensive works are the least imposing (Tomak is unlikely to be the immediate target given that 3 separate lines of fortifications protect it). See:

https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1668649688176955393?s=20

OSINT has identified elements of several of the new brigades but apparently a lot of the heavy lifting in this preliminary attack are from existing units. The pace is slow but is likely just prepatory work before trying to tackle the main fortification line itself. Ie clearing out Makarivka

See

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1668693471194914819?s=20

There are no major claims by the Russians of destroying large Ukrainian formations in battle and Russian propaganda footage of destroyed Ukrainian vehicles remains scant. It is going to be a long summer so you can relax. Plenty worse can go wrong before you need to enter doomer mode.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
If blowing up 12 Ukrainian tanks and IFVs mean that Ukraine has lost the war what does blowing up thousands of Russian tanks mean?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mustard_tiger posted:

If blowing up 12 Ukrainian tanks and IFVs mean that Ukraine has lost the war what does blowing up thousands of Russian tanks mean?

Maskirovka.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Deltasquid posted:

Not sure about his source, but the Belgian ex-colonel Roger Housen and a professor at the Royal Military School, Kris Quanten, gave an interview and claim the UA currently deployed 15% of their manpower in probing attacks, keeping 85% in reserve

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2023/0...FpLOLINf58g1Tk4
Housen is an idiot who doesn't know poo poo.

Some of his greatest hits:

"Russia will never do a full invasion of Ukraine." (february 2022)

"The fighting will only continue for a couple more weeks or months." (april 2022)

"Russia can take the Donbass in the summer." (may 2022)

"Kremlin will never give up Kherson." (august 2022)

"Ukraine is living on borrowed time, it's only a matter of months before it will be forcefd to cease the war." (september 2022)

"Ukraine can only start a counteroffensive at the end of the summer." (february 2023)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mustard_tiger posted:

The west wasted all their precious "smart" munitions blowing up a bunch of obsolete junk tanks, now they will be helpless against the 2000 T-14 Armatas that will be crashing into and overrunning Ukrainian lines any moment now.

Any moment now...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mustard_tiger posted:

at that scale of difference, something like "Russia retroactively ceases to exist, Kievan Rus takes over Europe and Asia"

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Ok, so I'm sorry to be a bit of a downer...

This is a good article if you're wondering what's going on with the offensive:

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/ukraines-counteroffensive-begins-shall-leopards-break-free

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I get the impression a lot of people were expecting the offensive to shape up like that shocking sweep around Kharkiv. That would have been amazing but there was no reason this would have been he case here unless the Russian military basically ceased to exist

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Delthalaz posted:

I get the impression a lot of people were expecting the offensive to shape up like that shocking sweep around Kharkiv. That would have been amazing but there was no reason this would have been he case here unless the Russian military basically ceased to exist

And ignoring that Kharkiv happened when Russia's best forces were tied up in Kherson, where it seemed like the counter-attack was going nowhere.

But in more important news :finland:

https://twitter.com/front_ukrainian/status/1668600506141356032

Unconfirmed, but technically not impossible.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Like three mines at the same time or it hit one and the driver said oh poo poo and gunned it into another one or....

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

Like three mines at the same time or it hit one and the driver said oh poo poo and gunned it into another one or....

Once your 6x6 vehicle hits a mine the driver is not going to gun anywhere, but the vehicle still has momentum and points of ground contact that can hit mines!

Three AT mines stacked on top of each others would have sent the APC on a trajectory.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nervous APC driver hits 17 mines in a row, proclaims "it's my first day"

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Delthalaz posted:

I don't know if many people over HERE were expecting another Kharkiv. There'd been plenty of sober assessments of Russian defenses and slowly developing competence as well as people pointing out the differences in circumstances - if anyone was expecting Kharkiv 2.0 they would have to have been basically not reading the thread at all I think. People have been doing their best to temper expectations for a while, grand optimism over the offensive felt more like the exception rather than the norm.

On the other hand I can readily imagine that Twitter might have lost its tiny collective mind at the prospect of a glorious unstoppable sweeping advance, but that's Twitter for you.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

As an engineer who worked on crew safety improvements for AFVs, this has been an affirming and emotional week.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Economist article on air defense in Kyiv which is a good read:
https://www.economist.com/europe/2023/06/13/how-kyiv-fended-off-a-russian-missile-blitz-in-may

quote:

The 30-year-old Patriot operator recalls a moment of applause, joy and expletives as the Ukrainian air-defence officers realised they had made history that night of May 4th. The Russians’ “unbeatable” Kh-47 Kinzhal air-launched ballistic missile was not only beatable; but it was actually travelling at “only” around approximately 1,240 metres per second, a third of what the Russians like to claim. “We understood that the Patriot worked. The next time, when we saw not one, but six Kinzhals on our monitors, it was just a matter of getting on with the job.”

You know, what won't they lie about?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Well, if they go too fast it voids the warranty.

In other news, Sweden is only getting into NATO over Erdogan's dead body.
https://www.politico.eu/article/turkey-erdogan-plays-down-swedens-nato-hopes/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Seems to be a thing that the Russian military overstates capabilities, while Western militaries understate if anything.

Reminds me of that one F-15 that managed to fly back to base with one wing torn off.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cicero posted:

Seems to be a thing that the Russian military overstates capabilities, while Western militaries understate if anything.

Def not a safe assumption to make

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

OAquinas posted:

Well, if they go too fast it voids the warranty.

In other news, Sweden is only getting into NATO over Erdogan's dead body.
https://www.politico.eu/article/turkey-erdogan-plays-down-swedens-nato-hopes/

Fine. Let the US unilaterally grant them a defense treaty.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

As an engineer who worked on crew safety improvements for AFVs, this has been an affirming and emotional week.

:love:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

WarpedLichen posted:

Economist article on air defense in Kyiv which is a good read:
https://www.economist.com/europe/2023/06/13/how-kyiv-fended-off-a-russian-missile-blitz-in-may

You know, what won't they lie about?

the whole thing is an interesting read, but this part really caught my eye

quote:

Hesitant Western leaders explained their initial reluctance to supply Ukraine with powerful air-defence systems by citing the long training programmes they would require. The reality has been somewhat different. Vyacheslav trained on the Patriots in Oklahoma and Poland for three and a half months instead of the regular six. Denys Smazhny, a training co-ordinator for iris-t and nasams, suggests even that was too long. There was nothing exceptionally difficult in the largely automated Western systems, he contends. An iris-t system was “far less complicated” than the Buk system he used to operate: “It’s like switching from a calculator to a MacBook Pro. The Western batteries basically do the work for you.”

this gibes with a lot of the stuff i saw when the moskva was sunk, user friendliness seems to generally be a higher priority in western platforms

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

mustard_tiger posted:

what does blowing up thousands of Russian tanks mean?
Tuesday.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ukrainian drone carries supplies to a few families stranded on a flooded area in Kardashynka

https://twitter.com/EjShahid/status/1669049383994679317

:3:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
It’s also important to note that we are very early in the counter offensive. If we have seen anything from the Russian military is when they collapse it is catastrophic. I have little doubt they will put up a decent defense but it is basically a question of when their front collapses not if.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

CSM posted:

Housen is an idiot who doesn't know poo poo.

Some of his greatest hits:

"Russia will never do a full invasion of Ukraine." (february 2022)

"The fighting will only continue for a couple more weeks or months." (april 2022)

"Russia can take the Donbass in the summer." (may 2022)

"Kremlin will never give up Kherson." (august 2022)

"Ukraine is living on borrowed time, it's only a matter of months before it will be forcefd to cease the war." (september 2022)

"Ukraine can only start a counteroffensive at the end of the summer." (february 2023)

lol no one is right all the time but man that is a helluva list of really major, core things to get wrong

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I can only imagine :3:

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 15, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Small DOD update. Most of it was about stuff other than Ukraine.

Press conference:
https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/3427251/deputy-pentagon-press-secretary-sabrina-singh-holds-a-press-briefing/
PDA:
https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3426389/biden-administration-announces-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/

Highlights:
-US is not replacing vehicles 1 for 1, nor planning to. PDAs are decided weeks out, not in a day or two turnaround.
-US does not know who, if anyone, destroyed the dam.

quote:

DEPUTY PRESS SECRETARY SABRINA SINGH: Hello everyone. Good afternoon. I have a few items to pass along at the top here -- I think I'm echoing a bit -- but I have a few items to pass off at the top here and then I'd be happy to take your questions.

So today, Secretary Austin departed on travel to Germany and Brussels, where he and Chairman Milley will host an in-person meeting of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group on June 15th, and then that will be followed by a NATO Defense Ministers Meeting on June 16th. Readouts from the meeting will be posted on Defense.gov throughout the week.

Also today, the Department announced additional security assistance to meet Ukraine's critical security and defense needs. This is the Biden administration's 40th presidential drawdown of equipment from DOD inventories of -- for Ukraine since August 2021.

It includes key capabilities to aid Ukraine's efforts to retake its sovereign territory as they bravely protect Ukraine's soldiers, civilians and critical infrastructure. The package includes artillery, anti-armor systems and ammunition valued up to $325 million, and additional details can also be found on Defense.gov.

Q: Thanks. A couple on Ukraine. First, can you say anything about Russia reporting that as many as 16 different types of armored vehicles the U.S. provided has -- have been destroyed in these early rounds of the counter-offensive?

And then secondly on the dam, what can you say now about the attack on the dam and whether it was indeed Russia? And what can you share about what you know?

MS. SINGH: Sure. Thanks, Tara, for the question. So on the report that 16 vehicles were destroyed, I've seen the reports but I can't corroborate some of the video and imagery coming out of that. So we're going to continue to monitor that but I just wouldn't be able to confirm the reports that the -- at least what we're seeing from Russians of putting out those imagery.

In terms of the dam, we're continuing to assess who, if anyone, is responsible for destroying the dam. We don't have -- we just don't have anything additional right now to provide. I know that's something that the Ukrainians are continuing to look into.

It's -- we've seen this type of behavior before from Russians, of destroying critical infrastructure, but on this case, when it comes to the dam specifically, I just don't have more information at this moment.

Q: Okay. And then just a follow-up on the vehicles --

MS. SINGH: Sure.

Q: -- if those reports are true, does this line up with what the Pentagon was kind of planning for as far as losses? And is there a plan in place to help backfill some of that for Ukraine?

MS. SINGH: Well, I think, here in this building, we were always going to assess that there was going to be damages and casualties of capabilities and systems that have been provided to the Ukrainians. I don't know that there's going to be a backfill of a -- like, one-to-one ratio, but as you're seeing today just with our announcement of our 40th presidential drawdown authority, you're seeing continued support go to Ukraine in their fight against the Russians to take back their sovereign territory.

Again, I don't think -- I don't know that it'd be a one-to-one ratio every time, but we are -- something that went into our calculations when we provided this equipment to the Ukrainians is that there could be battlefield losses and damages as the fight continues. And so this is just one of many packages that we've announced. You saw last week, we rolled out a USAI package, and on -- not tomorrow -- on Thursday, the Secretary and the Chairman will be meeting in person the -- hosting the Ukrainian Defense Contact Group where, again, that's another discussion for allies and partners to decide and to figure out and hear from the Ukrainians themselves of what else they need on the battlefield.

Oren?

Q: So a follow-up to Tara's question on the Bradley’s and the Strykers being provided now. Certainly the timing certainly seems to line up. The counteroffensive begins, and suddenly you're providing armored vehicles again. Is that intentional that now that Ukraine will suffer and has suffered some losses on the battlefield, you are providing these to continue support for the offensive or are you saying that was coincident to the timing, lined up like that?

MS. SINGH: Well, I mean, we consider presidential drawdown packages a few weeks out. They don't -- they're not something that happens, you know, two or three days beforehand. Packages are something that we have to consider what we're pulling off of our shelves in order to give the Ukrainians, and how long that will take.

And so I wouldn't say that, you know, each package is timed directly for what you alluded to, but you know, as President Zelenskyy said, they have -- they're continuing to engage in offensive operations. I'll let the Ukrainians speak to that. But in terms of this package, this is something that meets the priorities of the Ukrainians. Armor, artillery, air defense -- these are all priorities that they've laid out and something that will be continued to be discussed at the Contact Group on Thursday.

Q: Thanks, Sabrina. I want to get back to the issue of the Bradleys and the other battlefield vehicle and equipment losses. Is the Pentagon tracking those losses? And can you tell me, is it part of the monitoring process, or is there some other way that the Pentagon has an idea of what's being lost in Ukraine in terms of, you know, what's lost on the battlefield?

MS. SINGH: Thanks, Howard. So we are in constant communication at all different levels with the Ukrainians, and of course, when it comes to presidential drawdown authorities and the packages that we put together, one of the things that we're doing is working with the Ukrainians to determine what they need to meet their requirements not just in the short term, but also long-term goals. So of course, one of the things that we would be discussing with the Ukrainians is loss of battlefield equipment, capabilities, anything not working, any systems not performing the way they should be. So there is a direct line of communication at all different levels here in this building with the Ukrainians.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm not paying too much attention to russia moving tactical nukes in to belarus, but this seems like a wild messaging gap between the two parties

quote:

The Belarusian president, Alexander Lukashenko, says he won’t hesitate to use Russian tactical nuclear weapons if faced with an act of aggression.

Lukashenko’s comment contradicts earlier statements by the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, who has said that nuclear weapons stationed in Belarus would remain exclusively under the control of Moscow.

On Tuesday, Lukashenko said “everything is ready” for the Russian nuclear weapons’ deployment, adding that “it could take just a few days for us to get what we had asked for and even a bit more”.

Asked later by a Russian state TV host whether Belarus had already received some of the weapons, Lukashenko responded: “Not all of them, little by little.”

He appeared to confirm that his government had taken possession of some weapons from Russia and added that they were three times more powerful than the atomic bombs dropped on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945.

God forbid I have to make a decision to use those weapons today, but there would be no hesitation if we face an aggression.

But in a later media appearance on Russian TV on Tuesday, he clarified he would consult with Putin before using any of the weapons.

Listen, if a war starts, do you think I will look around? I pick up the phone, and wherever he is, he picks it up. If he calls, I pick it up any time. It’s no problem at all to coordinate launching a strike.

Russian officials had no immediate comment on Lukashenko’s remarks.

– AP

your nukes, my nukes, what's the difference?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pretend this offensive is a video with "with for it" written across the screen.

I have great memories of trying to excitedly pronounce the names of Ukrainian towns being liberated to my partner. I'm confident that will happen again, but don't get gloomy because it isn't happening right now. War is hell and takes time.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
2022 european defense spending tops post-cold war era

quote:

Defence spending in western and central Europe has surpassed that of the last year of the cold war, an annual report has found, as military expenditure across the world hit an all-time high of $2.24tn (Ł1.8tn) last year.

The outbreak of war in Ukraine has triggered the steepest increase in military expenditure in Europe in three decades, according to the Stockholm International Peace Institute (Sipri).

The thinktank reports that spending by central and western European states reached $345bn in 2022, a sum that in real terms surpasses that of 1989, the last year of the cold war. Their defence expenditure is 30% higher than a decade ago.

Germany was among the nations breaking with the norms of the recent past. The Zeitenwende or turning point that the country’s chancellor, Olaf Scholz, announced last year ushered in its biggest rearmament since the second world war.

Germany’s military budget was the seventh largest in the world last year behind the US, China, Russia, India, Saudi Arabia and the UK, and further huge increases in expenditure are planned.

calls to mind eisenhower's chance for peace speech, "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

who knows how history will turn out, but boy if it doesn't seem like the early 21st century will go down as the era of missed opportunities

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the stance from anonymous western officials on the current state of the offensive matches the general tone of the thread. so either folks here are good at analysis, or we're huffing the same farts

quote:

Ukraine is taking significant casualties and making slow progress towards the Russian main line of defence, western officials have admitted in one of the west’s first assessments of the Ukrainian counteroffensive launched on 4 June.

The officials’ sombre tone was clearly designed to lower expectations of a transformative breakthrough. However they nevertheless insisted the counteroffensive was “going in the right direction” and the losses were not unexpected.

They said the counteroffensive was still in its early days and involved a form of warfare not seen in decades as Ukraine forces are forced to build single lanes of armoured vehicles through mines heading to main Russian defences that in some cases may be still as far as 20km away.

“The vulnerability of the classic single lanes through the minefields make the Ukrainian armoury very vulnerable to attack,” the officials said. The officials denied Ukraine had lost as many as 120 armoured vehicles – a figure touted by Moscow.

One official said: “The Russian manoeuvre and defence approach is proving challenging for the Ukraine and costly to attacking forces hence the advance at the moment is slow”.

The officials suggested there is likely to be “grinding costly warfare likely for many months to come. This is incredibly difficult. They are going against a well-prepared line that the Russians have had months to prepare. Russia has generally put up a good defence from their well-prepared positions and falling back to tactical lines. Whilst they are inflicting casualties on the Russians they are not significant because the Russians are choosing the time to withdraw in a manner similar to the way the Ukrainians defended themselves against Russian vehicles.

“The idea that the Russians were just going to melt away and the Ukrainians were going to drive straight through their defensive line was in people’s wildest dreams.

“In this conflict the advantage has always been with the defender”.

The officials said it may not be clear for as long as three months whether the offensive could be classified as a success.

Most of the vehicles that have been damaged have been hit by mines. As the Ukrainians advance they are also more exposed to drone assaults.

The officials played down suggestions that this assault was likely to give Ukraine a tactical advantage as early as September, and so give it space to reopen talks with Vladimir Putin. “We are a long way away from Ukraine being in a position to reopen negotiations”, the officials said.

The slow progress is likely to place greater pressure on the west to signal to Putin that it is prepared for a long haul, and will not treat the counteroffensive as Ukraine’s one shot at reclaiming its territory. Ukraine has long feared support may decline in the west if the supply of western arms does not produce early tangible results.

Western officials admitted that western-supplied jets may not be available in the short term, even if training of Ukrainian pilots is now underway.

The officials also suggested Putin might have taken a truth serum before meeting military correspondents where he said Russia was suffering severe tank losses and suffering problems with its military industrial base.

Even though there was still a huge amount of confusion about exact Russian deployment, the officials said the vast majority of Russian forces are now committed to positions on the line partly due to the sheer size of the line that has to be defended. That gave Russia little room for further manoeuvre to deploy reinforcements if a point in the line became vulnerable.

By contrast Ukraine was holding back some of its heaviest armoury, including Challenger tanks.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
You know all those videos of Ukrainian drones dropping grenades on the heads of Russian soldiers in trenches? Well now there's a video game for that:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2300160/Death_From_Above/?rdt_cid=3827851941067696783

Not sure how I feel about that.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
It sounds like the Russians basically carpeted their defensive lines with mines in extensive depth. That's going to render huge swathes of land impassable for a long time, even if the offensive is successful.

I also marvel at the bravery of armored recon. Recon troops are good at observation and not being seen, but between helicopter ambushes you never see, mines everywhere, and hidden gun and tank emplacements (granted, the latter for which they have infra-red), I don't know where they find the courage. I hate that that KA-52 can just pop off missiles from kilometers away. It just highlights how difficult armored recon without air superiority is.

And I have to wonder how much depth, numbers, skill and morale there is in the actual crewed defensive lines. Hopefully once they get numbers through minefields, there are more breakthroughs.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm not paying too much attention to russia moving tactical nukes in to belarus, but this seems like a wild messaging gap between the two parties

your nukes, my nukes, what's the difference?

Isn't Lukashenko full of poo poo most of the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

quote:

Even though there was still a huge amount of confusion about exact Russian deployment, the officials said the vast majority of Russian forces are now committed to positions on the line partly due to the sheer size of the line that has to be defended. That gave Russia little room for further manoeuvre to deploy reinforcements if a point in the line became vulnerable.

By contrast Ukraine was holding back some of its heaviest armoury, including Challenger tanks.

This is probably the key bit. If Ukraine is able to reach some breaking point and expand the line, Russia would not be able to easily plug a gap. The other key element is that Ukraine is probably able to replace losses easier than Russia, since it has the Western MIC backing it, and that the main effect of casualties is just bad publicity.